The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Vandal Weapon Conspiracy?

_Fracture8

good point.

i still dont get the relation of vandal to corpus or the lotus

nor the wraith to the grineer and red veil

hoping there is real planing behind the lore, since these question are so intriguing.

I'm guessing there wasn't much forethought involved.

good point.

i still dont get the relation of vandal to corpus or the lotus

nor the wraith to the grineer and red veil

hoping there is real planing behind the lore, since these question are so intriguing.

I as well don't see the Wraith as coming from Red Veil. It's impossible to really argue that they share the same color scheme and a similar design, but Rakta has been shown to be the naming and symbol of the Veil. Perhaps they were aiming to ape the Wraith? One could almost argue that the Telos Akbolo ape at the color scheme of the Vandal (which itself, has curiously darkened, though that may just be due to PBR).

I've personally been trying to look to the Wraith and Vandal designs as possibly coming from within the Tenno themselves, perhaps symbolizing two different aspects of the Tenno culture. The Vandal design being tied closely to the Lotus while Wraith goes closer to something else. Unfortunately because Lotus is the only figure directly connected to the Tenno in such a manner it's harder to put a face to it.

Perhaps it's something to do more with the level of technology - Vandals taking the higher-end creations like Snipetron, Impterator, Quantas, and turning them against enemies while the more low-tech weapons like Gorgons, Machetes, and the Strun are marked as Wraiths. A reason for this - at least way back in the olden days - kinda stands as a mystery, but I'd like to speculate it might have something to do with fighting the Sentients vs. fighting the likes of Corpus, Grineer, and Infested. But since we still know so very little about the formermost we can't say.

Edited by Morec0

Regarding the Braton

Chronologically, the path is Braton Prime > Mk-1 Braton > Braton. The Braton Vandal is hard to place, as it could be a modified Regular or Mk-1. We'll ignore the Vandal for now.

The Braton Prime is an Orokin original. When "high tech" weapons failed them against the Sentients (implied to be because the Sentients took control of fancy, computerized systems) the Orokin turned to old fashioned physically damaging guns and blades. The Braton Prime is probably still using all sorts of advanced components and materials, but it's still a ballistic gun and the Sentients couldn't take control of dumb metal coming at them.

The Corpus are (obviously because of a couple of Orokin relics being excavated on their tilesets) trying to recover Orokin technology. They probably found a Braton Prime and broke it down trying to understand it. They were unable to totally reproduce its materials or manufacturing process, resulting in the Mk-1 Braton. The Mk-1 has imbalanced physical damage types and a closer magazine size (post-buff, but w/e).

After failing to reproduce the Braton Prime, the Corpus tried to improve the Mk-1 Braton. Their work on that produced the Braton.

The Corpus, still aspiring to Orokin greatness, wanted pew pew laser beams like the Orokin had, regardless of how those weapons had failed the Orokin in the past. They still had huge stores of Bratons though. Their religious merchantile obsession had them selling these weapons to the Tenno, because profit is their prophet and they're okay with you shooting the Grineer and their market competitors.

I'd imagine a similar process went for the Boar, Strun, and Latron series, even though we have yet to see a Strun Prime. The regular Latron looks fairly Corpus-ey, but could just be Tenno. Tenno stuff tends toward wood and pointy bits though.

Regarding Wraith and Vandal

I believe one of the older Wraith weapons mentions being modified by the Red Veil, but that was before the Red Veil was a syndicate. We were saving them in Specters of Liberty, when they were portrayed as resistance fighters and Tenno allies, which doesn't jive with their current cleansing fire and Arbiters-hatred. I don't know if that still holds true, but whoever is modifying them is doing so with the more primitive guns.

Vandal weapons, on the other hand, are pretty clearly modified under the Lotus' supervision. They have the branding, after all. This also lends itself to the more high tech requirements of modifying energy weapons being within the Lotus' means and out of reach for whoever is modifying the Wraith weapons. They are also Corpus or Tenno weapons, so they are more in line with Orokin technology than Grineer weapons would be. She is probably still limited by time and resources, so the Vandal weapons are not distributed to all Tenno.

-snip-

Dude. How does the Latron look Corpus-made? It's obviously Tenno-made, as are the Strun and Boar. Look at the inscriptions on these weapons - it's written in Tennobet. The Braton, however, is your run-of-the-mill mercenary SMG/rifle produced in large quantities by the Corpus. Again, looking at the inscriptions on the contemporary Braton models makes it clear that it was the Corpus who made them. This isn't the case with the Latron or Strun series, however.

Dude. How does the Latron look Corpus-made? It's obviously Tenno-made, as are the Strun and Boar. Look at the inscriptions on these weapons - it's written in Tennobet. The Braton, however, is your run-of-the-mill mercenary SMG/rifle produced in large quantities by the Corpus. Again, looking at the inscriptions on the contemporary Braton models makes it clear that it was the Corpus who made them. This isn't the case with the Latron or Strun series, however.

Their designs are also wildly out of date to the point where one was dropped from the game entirely.

The Latron could go either way, with it's slightly curved design looking Tenno and it's silver/black colors looking Corpus. The Boar and Strun are clearly made with what became the Corpus aesthetic: gray and boxy. The Tenno can write things on them later all they like, or the Corpus copied it from the Orokin originals like religious symbols since we know they view them as demigods. I'd assume the Lex is failed Orokin imitation by the Corpus as well. It fits their weapon aesthetic.

The lore is pretty flimsy in regards to all of it, but that's why I explicitly said I was extrapolating and making things up. It's all for fun anyway.

Edited by (PS4)ElZilcho

The Latron could go either way, with it's slightly curved design looking Tenno and it's silver/black colors looking Corpus. The Boar and Strun are clearly made with what became the Corpus aesthetic: gray and boxy.

The Latron is definitely tenno. It doesn't have the right colors to be Corpus, or the right shape.

The Boar and the Strun are old, they're from the original tenno aesthetic. You can still see old concept art of this in the codex. Nobody knows what to do with them lore-wise now, but they're definitely not Corpus either.

The Latron is definitely tenno. It doesn't have the right colors to be Corpus, or the right shape.

The Boar and the Strun are old, they're from the original tenno aesthetic. You can still see old concept art of this in the codex. Nobody knows what to do with them lore-wise now, but they're definitely not Corpus either.

The colors are very similar to both the Braton and, of all things, the Detron. The other two use the "old tenno aesthetic" which, well, isn't the tenno aesthetic anymore. Corpus production makes more sense than other options, if they wanted to attach new lore to those weapons.

Obviously, I'm not in charge of the retcons, but no one should be taking that part as fact that needs to be corrected since it follows the words "I imagine". Don't make me go back and put that in bold. I will pull this thread over.

Edited by (PS4)ElZilcho

The colors are very similar to both the Braton and, of all things, the Detron. The other two use the "old tenno aesthetic" which, well, isn't the tenno aesthetic anymore. Corpus production makes more sense than other options, if they wanted to attach new lore to those weapons.

Obviously, I'm not in charge of the retcons, but no one should be taking that part as fact that needs to be corrected since it follows the words "I imagine". Don't make me go back and put that in bold. I will pull this thread over.

My retcon suggestion would be to give those weapons which don't match any current aesthetic to the Colonists/unaligned and say they're produced by them. That would explain relay guards having them.

I'm down. Although let's also add one black character that's not a thief...

Well... There WAS a black Corpus man seen in Alad V's trailer.

Personally I'm hoping for the revival of Arn Etina at some point - with a different look, of course.

The Vandal origin...

Lotus was bored.

She strolled around the complex, looking for something to distract herself wtih, and found that somebody has left a Braton on a table.

Grinning impishly, she took the weapon to the workshop, dunked it in and out of a can of teal paint, then proceeded to pick a paint brush out of many which are arrayed on a shelf.

"My favorite flower", she chirped happily as she doodled something that might be the outlines of a certain plant over the newly recolored surface of the weapon.

To complete her prank, she placed the weapon back on the table where she found it.

A few moments later, Excalibur walked into the room, to retrieve his weapon that he has forgotten to check into the armory.

When he say what his weapon has became, he screamed in anger, "Who has VANDALIZED my Braton???!!!!"

And that, young Tennos, is how the Vandal series of weapons came to be.

The Vandal origin...

Lotus was bored.

She strolled around the complex, looking for something to distract herself wtih, and found that somebody has left a Braton on a table.

Grinning impishly, she took the weapon to the workshop, dunked it in and out of a can of teal paint, then proceeded to pick a paint brush out of many which are arrayed on a shelf.

"My favorite flower", she chirped happily as she doodled something that might be the outlines of a certain plant over the newly recolored surface of the weapon.

To complete her prank, she placed the weapon back on the table where she found it.

A few moments later, Excalibur walked into the room, to retrieve his weapon that he has forgotten to check into the armory.

When he say what his weapon has became, he screamed in anger, "Who has VANDALIZED my Braton???!!!!"

And that, young Tennos, is how the Vandal series of weapons came to be.

The Wraith Origin

Red Veil leader was bored

He found that somebody has left a Strun on a table.

He took the weapon to his workshop, dunked it in tar, then proceeded to sacrifice a Grineer and used the blood to paint it.

Satisifed, he placed the weapon back on the table where he found it.

When he say what his another weapon has became, he screamed again in anger, "Whoever doing this will suffer from my WRAITH!!!!"

And that, young Tennos, is how the Wraith series of weapons came to be.

I as well don't see the Wraith as coming from Red Veil. It's impossible to really argue that they share the same color scheme and a similar design, but Rakta has been shown to be the naming and symbol of the Veil. Perhaps they were aiming to ape the Wraith? One could almost argue that the Telos Akbolo ape at the color scheme of the Vandal (which itself, has curiously darkened, though that may just be due to PBR).

I'm assuming the same assumption or connection between the wraith and red veil, because of the rakta syandana, that then was followed with the asita rakta syandana, and then the rakta balistica that also haves the same drawings of the wraith

IDK about the telos akbolto, its similar to vandal, but not much, i would say its color scheme is closer to the dex series.

But, maybe the explanation its that those syndicates are the people modifying those weapons and items under direct contract of the lotus perhaps, and the she re-distributes those to the tenno.

But never mind me, im not even much a lore person.