Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Tl;dr An Arrogant Thing To Say? You Be The Jury

(PSN)jensyao

tl;dr stands for too long; didn't read

Argument:

Often, it gets backlash because pompous individuals will still reply to your thread, comments, questions based on whether they like your topic title or not.

They will not read the body of your topic, but instead give their two cents to brood or rant about something similar but totally off topic in response to what your were talking about in the first place.

Only your topic title will guide their response to you, so please write your effective topic titles last after you can efficiently summarize what you were trying to say. Otherwise, you get junk for answers.

Those new to forums usually have a lot to say and write about and ask, and getting "tr;dr"ed is a demotivator, once they figure out what it means

Counter-Argument:

If it's truly a wall of text with chapter titles and page numbers, yeah, tl;dr would suffice to be said that it was truly too long and the author need to write multiple topics instead of doing 1 jambalaya gumbo of a message.

saying tl;dr basically protects yourself in a bubble of ignorance. it basically says, "I'm only a casual onlooker seeing if there's a street fight I could start or I could make more dramatic."

It also means: "don't mind me, i have things to say, but I only respond to other topic starters" so I wont be as targeted as OP when OP makes a mistake. "If I make a response that is inaccurate, it's on page 2 and most people won't see it." Furthermore, it is used my most topic repliers with a lot of posts.

tl;dr is also used to partially respond to the OP, it means: "I have no bearing in the court of law to be quoted or otherwise used against me. whatever I say is just speculation with moving parts or variables subject to change my opinion or my views and context. Please don't go after me because whatever I just said is just folly and I by no means should be criminalized by whatever I just wrote"

You be the jury

what do you think?

Edited by (PS4)jensyao

TL;DR

but yea i think its a kinda bad think.

sorry i actually didnt read it but i think its rude to say. Im just doing it here cause i feel like i know what the post is going to say. Will read after this comment, but will not change.

I read it. So my response stays the same. It is rude. Most post are worth the time.

Edited by rechot

The forums are open to everyone and most of the people come here just to relax a little or discuss about the game, not to read a synthesized version of War and Peace. If you really care about having everyone to read your comment, learn to go straight to the point.

To me, expecting everyone to read an entire page of thoughts that could easily be expressed in a couple of sentences is being arrogant.

Of course it is.  If one really cares about the topic, they'll read the OP whether it's a couple sentences or a couple paragraphs.  Otherwise, they clearly don't care that much.

Unless the OP is a literal wall of text with next to zero formatting.  Those threads deserve to be mocked.

TL:DR is rude and all but sometimes there are scenarios where I really like to put it:

1. Hastily-made long hate posts wherein all I can see are curse words and wrong grammar.

2. Posts with long wall of texts without paragraphs.

But then again, I refrain from saying TL:DR. It's either I ignore the post completely or just risk reading it.

Tl;Dr is appropriate in certain circumstances.

For instance if a post titled "who is the next prime frame?" showed up, and it ended up being 1000 words of unformatted text, then you bet your &#! I am not reading it.

Posting Tl;Dr without following up with a relevant comment etc is just spam.

In the example I gave before, an appropriate use would be

Tl;Dr

It's Ash.

Yes, tl;dr is essentially saying nothing. In fact, it would be better to not post at all than to say tl;dr. It adds nothing to the discussion and says to everyone that "I can't be bothered to read this, but had to put my name in this thread."

If you mean to say that the OP is too long, then you can add that the OP should perhaps format their ideas better. Telling them that they should use line breaks and perhaps a summary for important sections if the post actually has "chapter titles and page numbers."

If the post is structured appropriately, but you couldn't read it for whatever reason, then the considerate thing to do would be to avoid posting until you can read it. If you didn't read the post, then you're not even fully informed and really shouldn't be discussing.

TL;DR

LOL precious reply.

TL;DR = a reason to bump your post count on a thread that you care next to nothing for.

^ this.

Honestly that is subjective, if OP hasn't properly edited a wall of text then it stands to reason why a lot of people would disregard it.. HOWEVER.. a few people need to make it clear "Hey I don't give a damn if it's a wall of text" regardless of wether the contents within said wall are worth reading, instead of being polite and saying "could you please edit and make it better for us readers to understand your point?"

It's something that's within the hands of the person who's not self-aware enough and posts "TL;DR" replies and the OP not properly editing their points.

All in all, yes it is arrogant AND it's just excuse to bump up post counts. It  also can be the OP's fault for not properly editing their text that people disregard it.

Edited by (PS4)Dan_Aria