Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any [Really] Good Animes Nowadays?

H3RRD0KT0R

When I was a kid/teenager I used to watch many animes, back then without internet being what it is now I used to watch any anime I had the chance to, through vcr tapes, later dvds, etc. Years passed and my standards got pretty high, not only for animes but for anything else (films, series, cartoons, books, etc), at some point I felt so flooded with low quality animes that I just quit watching animes.

Recently I started watching Knights of Sidonia (not an amazing anime, but I love space/mecha theme), and I feel open minded to try some new animes, that is if they are really good and serious (not the fight fight fight - comedy - silly things). My question is: are there any like that nowadays? I see many comments of "good" animes around, but all the ones I tried were just more of the same, unfortunately I'm not a kid anymore thus not likely to fall for cool aesthetics if they're not backed up by intelligent and minimum *mature content.

* by mature I don't mean same childish content + violence + nudity or sex.

PS: A few animes I still like (just to set my standards): Akira, GitS, Serial Experiments Lain, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Metropolis, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Mobile Suit Gundam, Appleseed, Vampire Hunter D, Perfect Blue...

Gurren Lagann, Tokyo Ghoul, Casshern Sins, Redline (Movie), Parasyte, Gundam 00, Monster, Mirai Nikki, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes, Deadman Wonderland, just to name some personal favorites. And Nichijou if you're ever looking for a laugh.

Edited by (PS4)Saddler01

Boku no Pico.

OH GOD

Seriously though, one I've enjoyed the most was SNAFU. Set in high school, but there's a lot of insight and deep s@#t in that show. Welcome change from spazzy comedy, over the top ecchi, or visual overload fights.

The Fate/Stay series is also a visual feast IMO, with a pretty good story to boot.

Edited by Magneu

Gurren Lagann,Tokyo Ghoul, Casshern Sins, Redline (Movie), Parasyte, Gundam 00, Monster, Mirai Nikki, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes, just to name some personal favorites. And Nichijou if you're ever looking for a laugh.

Boku no Pico.

All of those are old I believe(well my definition is by 1 year)

Currently theres triage x(written by same person who made HOTD), has a lot of action(killing such), and lots of fanservice(if you are into sexual things), there are 10 episodes and it has finished airing.

Then there is Ultimate Otaku Teacher, which I am currently watching, a total of 13 episodes right now, still airing and I think it will go to about 24+, its basically about this otaku guy whos really smart and becomes a teacher and starts teaching some students how to live their life, its kind of strange but I like it.

Seems like most of these are "manly" animes, so here's a list:

Gintama's pretty hilarious, there's a lot of talking though, not too much fan service, only when it works with the humor. There's an episode where half of it is about psychological warfare in the toilet. Also has some really good fight scenes as well.

Kakumeiki Valvrave have that Guilty Crown Wiff to it, some oblivious protag gaining inhumane power, with great power comes great responsibility etc, quite nice. Also it's mecha.

Psycho Pass, I'm only up to the half way point, but it's quite good as well. It's about a dystopian future where people's criminal tendency is judged by a computer.

Aldnoah Zero. Also mecha, about the Earth inhabitants fighting humans on mars that found a mysterious power called Aldnoah Drive, which give abilities to mechs that's somewhat grounded with today's science, like Quantum Mechanics and Physic phenomenons. And the protagonist is straight up beast mode.

Monogatari series is also nice, but the amount of weird/fan service content might turn some people off, just youtube "monogatari toothbrush" to see how weird it can get, that's pretty much the pinnacle of weirdness at the moment. Well established characters and it's a character driven story, each "Book" is mainly about a single character. Just to clarify, the seasons don't have the same name, it goes from Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari... etc.

There hasn't really been that many decent anime this year, IMO, Most of the stuff I've seen on AnimeUltima are those stupid constant Harem focused fanservice BS.

This one's a bit old, but the movie The Girl Who Leapt through TIme is quite good, nice pacing.

Edited by AlphaSierraMike

Gurren Lagann,Tokyo Ghoul, Casshern Sins, Redline (Movie), Parasyte, Gundam 00, Monster, Mirai Nikki, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes, just to name some personal favorites. And Nichijou if you're ever looking for a laugh.

I tried Tokyo Ghoul, not my type of anime, I feel weird about trying Casshern Sins, sounds silly but I'm really picky about trying reboot/remakes, it took me much effort to try the Metropolis anime, simply cause I really love the Fritz Lang original film (even though it's Katsuhiro Otomo/Tezuka stuff). I do like Gundam 00 (dedicated enough time in my life to watch all gundam series), I'll check the other suggestions, thank you.  

Boku no Pico.

Im not into hentai.

Is no one going to mention Kuroko no Basket? It's my favorite anime, sadly ending this tuesday :(

Kuroko no Basket - It's about the 6th member of the Generation of Miracles(a really good middle school basketball team whom were so good that they stop relying on teamwork and have seperated to diff hgh schools to see who is the best) to show them that they are wrong about not needing teamwork.

Black butler - Young rich kid having a demon butler do what he wants till his wish is fulfill, so the demon can consume his soul

Sword Art Online - Bunch of people stuck in a videogame and have to complete all 100 levels to escape the game

Edited by OperationCats

I tried Tokyo Ghoul, not my type of anime, I feel weird about trying Casshern Sins, sounds silly but I'm really picky about trying reboot/remakes, it took me much effort to try the Metropolis anime, simply cause I really love the Fritz Lang original film (even though it's Katsuhiro Otomo/Tezuka stuff). I do like Gundam 00 (dedicated enough time in my life to watch all gundam series), I'll check the other suggestions, thank you.  

Im not into hentai.

No problem man, I haven't been able to watch a lot of recent stuff simply because my schedule doesn't really facilitate too much free time. 

If you haven't seen attack on titan........please go watch it.

Tried that one... guess the years made me bitter, didnt like it.

Seems like most of these are "manly" animes, so here's a list:

Gintama's pretty hilarious, there's a lot of talking though, not too much fan service, only when it works with the humor. There's an episode where half of it is about psychological warfare in the toilet.

Kakumeiki Valvrave have that Guilty Crown Wiff to it, some oblivious protag gaining inhumane power, with great power comes great responsibility etc, quite nice. Also it's mecha.

Psycho Pass, I'm only up to the half way point, but it's quite good as well. It's about a dystopian future where people's criminal tendency is judged by a computer.

Aldnoah Zero. Also mecha, about the Earth inhabitants fighting humans on mars that found a mysterious power called Aldnoah Drive, which give abilities to mechs that's somewhat grounded with today's science, like Quantum Mechanics and Physic phenomenons. And the protagonist is straight up beast mode.

Monogatari series is also nice, but the amount of weird/fan service content might turn some people off, just youtube "monogatari toothbrush" to see how weird it can get, that's pretty much the pinnacle of weirdness at the moment. Well established characters and it's a character driven story, each "Book" is mainly about a single character. Just to clarify, the seasons don't have the same name, it goes from Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari... etc.

There hasn't really been that many decent anime this year, IMO, Most of the stuff I've seen on AnimeUltima are those stupid constant Harem focused fanservice BS.

Aldnoah Zero sounds really interesting, I guess I'll try it. I need to check the others.

Is no one going to mention Kuroko no Basket? It's my favorite anime, sadly ending this tuesday :(

Kuroko no Basket - It's about the 6th member of the Generation of Miracles(a really good middle school basketball team whom were so good that they stop relying on teamwork and have seperated to diff hgh schools to see who is the best) to show them that they are wrong about not needing teamwork.

Black butler - Young rich kid having a demon butler do what he wants till his wish is fulfill, so the demon can consume his soul

Sword Art Online - Bunch of people stuck in a videogame and have to complete all 100 levels to escape the game

SAO isn't really all that great as a anime it's fun to watch the go around when not trying to be critical about it. And merely looking at OP's "standards" SAO has no place there. Black Butler is fun to watch too , ranks at least above average in my book. As for Kuroko no Basket I can not say since I have yet to watch sports anime really isn't my thing.

BTW does anyone know if gits arise is worth watching? I am a huge fan of gits 1 and 2, not quite a fan of gits sac, the few images and trailers I watched from arise does not seem to match the original ones quality.

Edited by H3RRD0KT0R

BTW does anyone know if gits arise is worth watching? I am a huge fan of gits 1 and 2, not quite a fan of gits sac, the few images and trailers I watched from arise does not seem to match the original ones quality.

I have yet to watch Arise I've seen season 1 of GITS, However I have a friend who is a big fan of the series he made a video on it least episode 1, but overall he says it's worth watching. Also we the comments on the video.

Shameless advertisement

[snip: bunch of good anime followed by]

Perfect Blue...

wut

Redline (Movie)

Oh hells yes. I've yet to see anything that makes speed feel this... reckless.

No love for Ergo Proxy? Not all that recent, but I found it rather good, in a Blame! sort of way.

wut

Those were the animes that came to my mind, not that they're nearly of the same level, I mean compare hotaru no haka and barefoot gen to anything else... anyway I watched Perect Blue like watching a soap opera...

And thanks for reminding me of ergo proxy, I never finished it.

Death Parade is nice, just 12 episodes so won't last ya long.

Attack on Titan, I find the whole mystery it has going is great.

Tokyo Ghoul's manga is different from the anime, try that.

I like Assassination Classroom too, may seem all cheery but it actually has a meaningful story.

Edited by izzatuw