Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Is Trying To Kill Me.

aha! i clearly found the problem.

switch to this mode.

Dnf1txI.png

all of your problems have been solved! praise gaben.

seriously, 'detail view' is freaking cancer.

That makes me feel like

87ef3662915f4a4435ad8aba13009f07.jpg

(look at the fact here, lol.. I cant stop taking these screenshots. )

Edited by InhibitedFox

aha! i clearly found the problem.

switch to this mode.

Dnf1txI.png

all of your problems have been solved! praise gaben.

seriously, 'detail view' is freaking cancer.

This mode seems ok if you have like... 14 games.

Actually, nevermind. Unless you want a convenient way of viewing the metascore on games you've already bought, I see no practical reason to use this.

This mode seems ok if you have like... 14 games.

the more Entries you have in Steam, the more useful it becomes.

i don't need, or want, giant flooshy pictures and buttons the size of mountains taking up all of the Screen Real Estate.

i want a list of the entries i have on Steam. and that's it.

so the other way round really. the 'detail view' is okay if you have... like, 2 games.

there's a lot of customizability that is glossed over (not to the user's complete fault though).

that gear up in the corner there, lets you add or remove elements to this view.

NfCaaX1.png

the more Entries you have in Steam, the more useful it becomes.

i don't need, or want, giant flooshy pictures and buttons the size of mountains taking up all of the Screen Real Estate.

i want a list of the entries i have on Steam. and that's it.

so the other way round really. the 'detail view' is okay if you have... like, 2 games.

there's a lot of customizability that is glossed over (not to the user's complete fault though).

that gear up in the corner there, lets you add or remove elements to this view.

NfCaaX1.png

Switching from images to icons made it slightly better, but I still don't see the appeal of it.

All those tabs with information are either on the detail view's hub, or redundant.

Since the list on the detail view takes less space, I find it easier to keep track of and browse through. If I even browse through it. There's a search bar right there.

Even the grid view is more practical, as it takes up space more efficiently. At least the detail view makes use of the space it takes up with some remotely useful information and links.

All those tabs with information are either on the detail view's hub, or redundant.

Since the list on the detail view takes less space

There's a search bar right there

- the same information is displayed, but 'Detail' uses up 3/4 of the entire Real Estate showing that information.

- if you wanted a compact list, you'd be using 'Small Mode'. that's Compact, nothing else is.

MLo5SWe.png

- .... yes, and all three Views + Small Mode have a Search Bar.

JRqBG2a.png

all of the information you'd ever want is contained in that one Row, and the Context Menu.

opening the Context Menu on an item in Steam is faster than using the web page layout for any game, because you don't need to click, and wait (for more than 0ms), and then find the item and click again. instead, you don't need to select something as the active item to open the Context Menu on it. just open it on any item you want. this applies to all View modes.

and since you can do this, that makes your webpage that's wasting Screen Real Estate with bloated information not particularly useful when the same information is contained inside a single Context Menu.

but, i guess if Achievements or other pointless drivel like that is somehow useful information to you.

keyword of those things is that they're pointless.

the List fits the same information into a smaller number of pixels. Detail has some other information, most of which has no actual use, and compresses things, so stuff like Announcements or Updates, you'd need to go to the full Webpage for it anyways, which you can do faster from the Context Menu.

- - - - -

there's also one important subjective thing for me.

with List, i can sort by multiple things. so i have it sorted by current state, and secondary of that, is Alphabetical.

for me, that is extremely useful, as that separates Steam things from not Steam things, effectively having two Categories in one list.

or any other two step combination.

Edit:

perhaps i'm in a different situation, with 207 Game entries currently to manage, enough that i need to send a good chunk of them to hidden because no view type can neatly handle lists that long?

Edited by taiiat