Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Tenno Human?

Lucky_Miss

I'm not sure if this has been posted many times, because I haven't seen any yet. So, on to the post.

Are Tenno Human?

This question was asked by Quiette Shy to DKDiamantes. DK claims that the Tenno are humanoid creatures, bringing out numerous evidences to support his claim. However, I’d like to address this question as well.

First off, I think we should ignore Dark Sector as a “prequel” as DE has already stated that it is not canon and it would contradict the lore where Excalibur was the first Tenno. Now let us define “human” as a being from the human race. Many people have stated that Warframes are the Tenno themselves, but I beg to differ. I think that Tenno are separate from their frames, and every player is their own Tenno who can choose freely whatever Warframe they want. If they were Warframes themselves, they would not be able to switch around suits. Which clearly shows they are separate from the Warframes. Now that we have that, we have a bunch of different possibilities what Tenno are. But we have to remember one thing: If they were to fit into different suits, surely they must be able to sort of shape-shift, at least enough to retain their humanoid shape yet fit into other frames, somewhat like “energy”. They would also need to have something to bleed from, like flesh. But clearly these two contradict each other?

And so, I am about to make a bold statement that most people would most likely not believe/agree: Tenno are both energy and have flesh in them. Sounds weird? My theory is that the Tenno are mostly energy, except for their vital organs. Only a few people have noticed that some frames have their spines protruding, such as Excalibur and Vauban. Everybody knows that Warframes have a head, meaning that they probably have a brain (if they didn’t, the only other plausible explanation I can find for Warframes moving are that they are robots). Seeing that they can bleed, assuming that it even is blood purely from the fact that it says “BLEEDING OUT”, you spurt out bright red liquid and you can get slash procs, they’d also have a heart. All surrounded by the mysterious void “energy” which allows the rest of the body to shape-shift a bit to fit other frames. Now, where did they get this “energy”? It lies within the Phased skin set and Excalibur’s as well as Ember’s Codex entries.

In the Phased skin set, it is stated “The Void's corrupting energy has scarred this (item), leaving it permanently out of phase with conventional space.” in the description. I believe that this is also what happened to the children on the Zariman in Ember’s Codex and the twisted few mentioned in Excalibur’s codex. These people have been corrupted with the void’s energy so much so that they have almost entirely become the energy. However, as shown in the Phased skin set, the items still retain their shape. This shows that they might not be able to shape-shift, or change their shape minimally, which explains why Vauban still looks like Vauban. This corresponds with how Vor says that “Tenno do not control the Warframe's divine energy. The Tenno ARE that energy. Each Warframe you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light.” Ember’s codex shows the child who many presume as Ember herself causing injury to Kaleen, when there was no sentence which stated the child using a Warframe. The only other source of energy would be the child, which reinforces even further Vor’s idea of us being “energy” and the Warframes controlling it.

This theory does have some flaws, especially when comparing against where Excalibur is split apart by Alad V in the PS4 trailer “The Profit”. What happens to Excalibur after being split shows some sort of charred material inside the Warframe, presumably flesh. I’d like to say that DE contradicts their own lore in a lot of places. I have mentioned one above, and another would be this. DE was asked a question during a Devstream about what the Tenno are, and someone came up with something quite similar to this, which was that Tenno had only vital organs. Funnily enough, DE said that he was close to the truth even though they released the PS4 trailer featuring the Excalibur scene.

That sort of wraps up this discussion, I’d like to hear your views and theories as well. Sorry if there’s typos (if any) and if this is worded in a weird way, I did this at night around 12 am.

Edited by MeowTezu

Well I wouldsay that we are void mutated humans who now give off Void Radiation which the suits, the warframes, made of infested tissues metabolise for the fuel for their powers. Nothing in the game outright supports us being energy just as little in the game outright says we are flesh and blood. I believe that quote you are referencing was DE Steve was asked what the nature of the Tenno was to the Warframes and DE Steve joked that he thought of our characters as 'brains in jars' that are then switched between the suits, when asked if that was the real nature of the Tenno, DE Steve just gave a wide smile and said 'brains in jars' was how he looked at it.

Vor during the Arid Fear event outright says we are flesh and blood, that he had his researchers remove us from the suits but the darn things wouldn't work without us inside. Of course, Vor is also the support more recently for us being energy as well with his Tutorial line of us giving energy to the warframes with our 'glorious light'. I believe that Vor's saying that we are energy is simply waxing poetic as most Grineer commanders seem to love doing, but it is possible that both statements focus on we are flesh and blood but give off radiation echos of the void especially when stressed or pressed. That is why the Grineer and Corpus use void scanners to check their ships for us and not just simply setting a scanner to detect the energy emanation that is 'us'. Our void signature is only distiguishable from normal void to them based on the fact that this void contamination just ran up and down walls and left piles of slashed up bodies everywhere.

Touching the one of the Children of Zariman, radiation burned the security officer who broke contamination protocal to comfort the distraught kids who had been sent unshielded into the void. The child's mere proximity burned the officer's face. Some of interpreted this as the girl was a proto-warframe Ember but the warframes are made of technocyte, as seen when we craft them - they require advanced technocyte mutation tumors - plastids to be constructed. These children were just exposed to the energy of the void and now gave that energy off. Later this is the only reason the infested test subject of the Rhino prime entry, probably a template for the Rhino warframe armor, stopped in the storage cell that contained the Children and forgot about the two scientists that it had singlemindedly chased through the facility trying to kill for torturing and studying it. Call it a telepathic bond or the creature being calmed by the void radiation, the technocyte creature was shown to be passified by the child's presence. Most lore hints reference those Children as what is the basis for the Tenno. People mutated and twisted by the Void and armored in techno-organic metal and alloy suits. We supply the power, the battery for the mutation abilities of the warframes, the suits, themselves and focus those abilities toward our enemies.

Regarding the "The Profit" trailer, I'd say Tenno are still part flesh and part energy, but more flesh than energy, instead of more energy than flesh as you suggest. In addition to the trailer, Tenno also take bonus damage from the slash, toxin, and viral damage types, suggesting that we're fleshy.

You can also see out-of-frame Tenno in the cryopods on defense missions, and they look pretty humanoid. However, if Tenno were human, one Tenno wouldn't be able to use both male and female warframes, and since they very clearly can, it's pretty obvious that we aren't human.

Well I wouldsay that we are void mutated humans who now give off Void Radiation which the suits, the warframes, made of infested tissues metabolise for the fuel for their powers. Nothing in the game outright supports us being energy just as little in the game outright says we are flesh and blood. I believe that quote you are referencing was DE Steve was asked what the nature of the Tenno was to the Warframes and DE Steve joked that he thought of our characters as 'brains in jars' that are then switched between the suits, when asked if that was the real nature of the Tenno, DE Steve just gave a wide smile and said 'brains in jars' was how he looked at it.

Vor during the Arid Fear event outright says we are flesh and blood, that he had his researchers remove us from the suits but the darn things wouldn't work without us inside. Of course, Vor is also the support more recently for us being energy as well with his Tutorial line of us giving energy to the warframes with our 'glorious light'. I believe that Vor's saying that we are energy is simply waxing poetic as most Grineer commanders seem to love doing, but it is possible that both statements focus on we are flesh and blood but give off radiation echos of the void especially when stressed or pressed. That is why the Grineer and Corpus use void scanners to check their ships for us and not just simply setting a scanner to detect the energy emanation that is 'us'. Our void signature is only distiguishable from normal void to them based on the fact that this void contamination just ran up and down walls and left piles of slashed up bodies everywhere.

Touching the one of the Children of Zariman, radiation burned the security officer who broke contamination protocal to comfort the distraught kids who had been sent unshielded into the void. The child's mere proximity burned the officer's face. Some of interpreted this as the girl was a proto-warframe Ember but the warframes are made of technocyte, as seen when we craft them - they require advanced technocyte mutation tumors - plastids to be constructed. These children were just exposed to the energy of the void and now gave that energy off. Later this is the only reason the infested test subject of the Rhino prime entry, probably a template for the Rhino warframe armor, stopped in the storage cell that contained the Children and forgot about the two scientists that it had singlemindedly chased through the facility trying to kill for torturing and studying it. Call it a telepathic bond or the creature being calmed by the void radiation, the technocyte creature was shown to be passified by the child's presence. Most lore hints reference those Children as what is the basis for the Tenno. People mutated and twisted by the Void and armored in techno-organic metal and alloy suits. We supply the power, the battery for the mutation abilities of the warframes, the suits, themselves and focus those abilities toward our enemies.

Hmm, I wasn't there during the Arid Fear event so I may have overlooked those facts. I might have to look for quotes from previous events too, thanks for contributing your idea. The Void Radiation part IS plausible, and it would be cool for DE to talk about something like that in the game. I hadn't think of the "energy" or "light" as being radiation which fuelled the frames before, and yours is a quite different theory on what Tenno are compared to those I've seen before but it is still believable.

@EversorNinja thanks, and I should really learn how to write and support my points properly other than this pile of crap I wrote at night. Honestly, why do I even write it at night? XD For some reason, I understand what lots of the words means and yet that vocabulary isn't used here. Dang, I should work on my writing skills.

@Urlan, I've been listening to the Liset's radio and they keep mentioning about Tenno leaving energy and void residue, and it does make sense with your idea.

Edited by MeowTezu

To be fair, what Vor says is "every time we pull a Tenno from their metal womb..." not exactly that they're pulling us from our Warframes. I've seen cases made that the "metal womb" could be referring to the cryopods, and in some respects its certainly a more fitting item to be compared to such.

Excalibur was not the first Tenno, it was the first Warframe. Tenno seem to be humans that had been banned to the void but the orokin needed them for the Warframes

Excalibur was the first Primed warframe made by the Orokin is how I took that. But that is my own interpretation.

As far as we know, Tenno were not infected with technocyte in Warframe, unlike Hayden Tenno of DarkSector. In here, our suits are made from technocyte materials like DarkSector, but we seem to be people changed by the void and now supplying power to the suits we were to use their abilities and keep them ruinning.