Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disrupter, So Over It

finaLfrontier

I know... I broke down and made my own Disrupter hate thread. I'm at the point now where I really need to vent about this.

I used to laugh to myself when I'd see all the Disrupter hate threads pop up. I've always been annoyed by Disrupters, but never even bothered looking at a single thread about them.

I don't know if anything I'm about to suggest has been suggested already, but here it goes

First, I don't want any of the abilities they have removed at all. I just think they can go about them in a better way.

Main grievance:

That energy drain thing they do, really needs to be perfected. Right now, just one shot from them drains ALL of your energy. There are 2 ways this can be achieved differently without even touching your energy.

1. Most Ideal way, a shot from one of these drains shields, and disables ability usage for ~10 seconds

or

2. Make an AoE disruption around them. Anyone close to them has their abilities and shields disabled until they leave the area. (Keep your distance. Almost like this idea better. You know what, I actually do)

or

3. A shot from these takes exactly 100 energy from you. That means it's worth having Flow... This is my least favorite idea as it's still tacky. But better than nothing.

Yeah, these suggestions are going to be pretty pieces of code to work. But please put on your code pants, and get it done. It's at the point now when I see these, it's more than just fear that I feel, but also (I could be doing something else with my time) which is really bad

Edited by finaLfrontier

I like this aoe idea. Maybe have the aoe effect disrupt hud, but then drain shields and energy over time. Kinda like what toxics do to your health, but applied to shields and energy instead.Then have their Mr. Fantastic slaps just knock you over like those of ancient healers and such.

Edit: ooh, or maybe an EMP pulse, like a red disrupty version of what the healer does

Edited by Meenmu

I think the idea of "poison disruptors" makes a lot of sense.  Hitting you would drain chunks of energy and huge chunks of shielding, but just being near them scrambles your systems and makes you lose energy like a toxic ancient would cause you to lose health in close proximity.  Maybe hits can also disable skill usage for about 2-3 seconds as well.

I think the idea of "poison disruptors" makes a lot of sense.  Hitting you would drain chunks of energy and huge chunks of shielding, but just being near them scrambles your systems and makes you lose energy like a toxic ancient would cause you to lose health in close proximity.  Maybe hits can also disable skill usage for about 2-3 seconds as well.

Ok, I have a new favorite

QQ

Let's just take all the teeth out of this game and get along with the mobs, who even remembers what we were fighting about in the first place?

Was waiting for a response like this, nice hyperbole. I prefer a good flame war to logical and intelligent discussion from time to time.

A change like this wouldn't remove any "teeth" as they would retain all of their abilities. Still just as deadly. What it does get rid of, is the aggravation of having to collect energy globes again, and sometimes there aren't any around. So it's the best of both worlds. Kill the Disrupter, get your abilities back, that simple.

Did you even bother reading? Or did you just read the header and saw your chance to compulsively type "QQ" in a thread

Edited by finaLfrontier

Was waiting for a response like this, nice hyperbole. I prefer a good flame war to logical and intelligent discussion from time to time.

A change like this wouldn't remove any "teeth" as they would retain all of their abilities. Still just as deadly. What it does get rid of, is the aggravation of having to collect energy globes again, and sometimes there aren't any around. So it's the best of both worlds. Kill the Disrupter, get your abilities back, that simple.

Did you even bother reading? Or did you just read the header and saw your chance to compulsively type "QQ" in a thread

I am sorry, but it's hard to stop the sarcasm when stuff like this comes up. It's not a bug. It's ment, and designed to be a little bit challenging. Getting hit by the "sap" move is ment to have a consequence. Your suggestions effectively nerfs the consequence. Solution: adapt improvise and over come. If you get hit you pay the price, if you get good you don't get hit. I thought this truth was pretty self explanatory to any one but a first time gamer which is why my initial respose was sarcasm. You know something that will help with disruptors? Fire, ice, stun mods. Movement. Drop a skill on them. Fall back and weed out the little guys then engage the disruptor. Bottom line is, .... Wait for it. .... They. Are. Totally. Doable. You can do it man, I kow you can!

(you can do it all night long!)

It would be interesting to see your number 2 suggestion in place, though to keep it dangerous it should have a fairly decent range to affect you. That would keep them dangerous outside of melee range without making them too frustrating.

Maybe have that disruption aura instead of remove shields slow down or completely stop shield regeneration? That would balance out giving it larger disruption area around it.

I'm just trying to suggest things that keep the disrupters dangerous and a challenge here.

The problem with the AoE idea is that it heavily favors fast frames over slow ones.  If you're using a Rhino, it's going to be nearly impossible to dodge more than a single Disruptor. 

I think the ideal solution is to separate the three effects of the disruptor, and give those effects to the different kinds of Ancients.  Right now, there isn't much penalty to being hit from an Ancient Healer or Toxicant. 

Ancient Toxicant - applies the screen distortion effect

Ancient Disruptor - completely drains shields

Ancient Healer - drains 75 energy per hit

@Ganpot

I dont see how it would favor the faster frames over the slower ones all that much. The biggest thing would be keeping your distance outside of the AOE effect, if you're caught in it its going to be harder but not too difficult/frustrating because you can run to the outside of the effects and then use your abilities to get some distance.

While faster frames can get to the outside faster, frames like Rhino would be able to clear out the mobs around them and potentially take out the disrupter more easily, and potentially without having to leave the area by virtue of their high shields, armor and health.

With the AOE effect described in the OP it wouldn't be so much a problem with dodging them because once your in the area your skills just wont work until you leave it. You're energy would remain untouched. That would mean that they would be a threat while they are around, but it would be more of a supportive role then an aggressive role. And I do think that the infested need some form of support unit beyond the healer.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I'm all in for the AoE scrambling of powers and shields. Or just a reduced amount of energy draining, without the debuff that keeps consuming all your power when you get thrown into your saved-up orbs, ruining the entire thing.

Also, finally fix the broken arm mechanic and the "sliding at full speed when set on fire" BS that Ancients still have. Being lit on fire is a CC, not a buff to get into range with 100% stumble resistance and the ability to use their arm while running.

My take about Disruptors:

- Make their "disrupting ability animation" way more noticiable (sometimes they just attack without draining but there's no difference visually speaking)

- When disrupting let them drain ONLY shield OR ONLY energy at a time, not both together

That's it, they still be 1 of the most dangerous enemies but at least not so instagib

Personally I'm waiting for them to have their own model and animations. I think part of the problem is the stretch armstrong move they have now is too hard to dodge. It's doable, but just a bit too hard to be fair.

That said I do like OP's suggestions and wouldn't mind them as alternatives.

My take about Disruptors:

- Make their "disrupting ability animation" way more noticiable (sometimes they just attack without draining but there's no difference visually speaking)

- When disrupting let them drain ONLY shield OR ONLY energy at a time, not both together

That's it, they still be 1 of the most dangerous enemies but at least not so instagib

It's far from instagib.  It's just horribly debilitating.  You lose all your energy and can't regen anything for a while.  If you get hit in the middle of a mob, well, sorry but what were you doing in the middle of a mob?

Personally I'm waiting for them to have their own model and animations. I think part of the problem is the stretch armstrong move they have now is too hard to dodge. It's doable, but just a bit too hard to be fair.

That said I do like OP's suggestions and wouldn't mind them as alternatives.

It actually isn't hard to dodge them at all.  When they sprint at you, you run by them and do a dodge roll.  They will miss you 100% of the time.  At any other range where they will do their long punch, simply circle strafing will produce the same results.

I know... I broke down and made my own Disrupter hate thread. I'm at the point now where I really need to vent about this.

I used to laugh to myself when I'd see all the Disrupter hate threads pop up. I've always been annoyed by Disrupters, but never even bothered looking at a single thread about them.

I don't know if anything I'm about to suggest has been suggested already, but here it goes

First, I don't want any of the abilities they have removed at all. I just think they can go about them in a better way.

Main grievance:

That energy drain thing they do, really needs to be perfected. Right now, just one shot from them drains ALL of your energy. There are 2 ways this can be achieved differently without even touching your energy.

1. Most Ideal way, a shot from one of these drains shields, and disables ability usage for ~10 seconds

or

2. Make an AoE disruption around them. Anyone close to them has their abilities and shields disabled until they leave the area. (Keep your distance. Almost like this idea better. You know what, I actually do)

or

3. A shot from these takes exactly 100 energy from you. That means it's worth having Flow... This is my least favorite idea as it's still tacky. But better than nothing.

Yeah, these suggestions are going to be pretty pieces of code to work. But please put on your code pants, and get it done. It's at the point now when I see these, it's more than just fear that I feel, but also (I could be doing something else with my time) which is really bad

If you stand still at any time during a high level defense attempt you will have no energy i promise. If you are getting your energy zapped all the time then this is a play issue for you and others like you.

One of the problems is this. You and some of the hero types in Warframe see dogs and runners and think great i have an aoe fest. I'll run in and spam my biggest aoe spells. I'll see lots of numbers and be top uber killer ! Then you do not see the ancients slide across the map while your doing this. Bare in mind they run as fast as Tenno when we are sprinting. They come up behind you and punch you into the floor. You either die or get drained. They win, you fail.

Stay away<--- Ignore the trash. Pop an aoe for them and then look around everywhere for ancients. Don't be out in the open. Always have your back to an exit so you can run if they charge at you. Don't let them close. Use frost, this helps. Make sure your group is focusing on ancients as soon as the trash is culled.

You are trying to faceroll the game in every aspect. When you meet something you cant faceroll you complain and ask for nerfs. This ruins my gameplay and the play of others who would rather play correctly and learn to beat an opponent. There are Infested videos on Youtube. They will help you.

If you are wave 23 on Xini and get drained. There is a good chance your group will fail. If energy is that important, why go near an ancient. They can be kited to where you want them. Many frames have abilities to immobilize them. If the group plays well and keep ancients away you will win. If your bad at it, why should you go as high level as others who have mastered this tricky enemy?

Just stop asking for changes and nerfs please. 

@Ganpot

I dont see how it would favor the faster frames over the slower ones all that much. The biggest thing would be keeping your distance outside of the AOE effect, if you're caught in it its going to be harder but not too difficult/frustrating because you can run to the outside of the effects and then use your abilities to get some distance.

While faster frames can get to the outside faster, frames like Rhino would be able to clear out the mobs around them and potentially take out the disrupter more easily, and potentially without having to leave the area by virtue of their high shields, armor and health.

Allow me to elaborate.  Even a lone Ancient is hard to run away from with a slower frame (without a Rush mod).  I'm pretty sure that a Rhino actually runs more slowly than an Ancient.  Let's run through a hypothetical situation where a high level Ancient is surrounded by a small group of normal infested.  

Scenario A: Volt (or any other light frame) sees the Ancient and surrounding group.  They charge, and he runs and guns.  They never catch up with him, and he is thus unaffected by the AoE.  Eventually, all of the enemies are dead, and the player is undamaged. 

Scenario B: Rhino sees the enemies, and they charge.  He stands his ground (running isn't viable).  He pops Iron Skin before the AoE takes effect, and begins to shoot or melee the enemies.  Rhino's shields are immediately reduced to zero by the Ancient's AoE (the OP included full shield drain, which Rhino is currently vulnerable to), so the ordinary infested start chipping at his health.  Rhino's Iron Skin wears off.  He is immediately stun-locked by the Ancient and the lesser infested.  He cannot activate his abilities to stun the surrounding enemies because of the Ancient's AoE.  Even if he gets out of the stun-lock, he can't avoid the AoE because the Ancient will not stop chasing him.  In all likelihood, he dies. 

The problem with an AoE is that it is (usually) not possible to dodge, especially if a frame requires getting hands-on.  Disruptors do need fixing, but I don't think this is the way to do it. 

Edited by Ganpot