Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Monthly Writing Challenge! [Closed til December] (Platinum Prizes Available!)

FiveHours

Indeed, you haven't.

Firstly, I must apologise for my absence, to call the last few weeks a bit grey would be a vast understatement. But I won't bore you all with the details, as I often do to myself sometimes.

Now, to the matter at hand. I don't think I've been taking care of the competition on as I did when I started out. I miss deadlines, I don't keep up on prize payments, and most importantly my feedback has been atrocious on some entries. 

Studies and school life has gotten me a bit bogged down, so sometimes I feel as if it is an obligation to keep this running, not something I enjoy doing. Now, of course, the stressful bits are somewhat over, I can turn more of my attention back to this, what I love: Warframe. 

The second problem is the prize payments. I apologise, but all prizes now received must be kept on a "tab" which I can then pay off as soon as the money becomes available. The pockets of a pre-U student are not as deep as I'd like, so please do excuse me for any delays.

Last, but not least, I would like to apologise to those who feel as if I don't give feedback in enough places on their story. I try my best to give a general analysis of the story and any improvements that could be made in certain areas, but please don't be afraid to step in and ask me what might be wrong, or if there is a justification for a certain feature of the piece.

All in all, please forgive me.

Now, for this week's winner! Somehow our ever-rising writer Evanescent has managed to comfortably slip themselves a win once again, this time recounting the story of cannibalistic adults hunting children during the Great Fall. This story really managed to twist innocence and panic into morbid reality of chaos, and really opened the reader's eyes to the oft-hidden perspective of the civilians during times of anarchy, something very close to home to me and my family. The deviation from the theme was not something I whole-heartedly agreed with at first, but later analysis proved that this story has a merit to it, one that I can't ignore with simple dissuasions.

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." — Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Well done, Evanescent!

Children! You children over there!

Come with me, quick!

Oh children!

How did you get this lost? Going to school? Oh my dearies, you must have been so scared, especially since this morning. But don't worry, I'm a teacher too. Come with me.

This way to the school. You mustn't be late! Quick follow me, this way now. Keep your eyes on my dress and hold hands so you don't get lost. You there! stop dawdling and hurry up! Once the bell rings I'll have to close the gates, and then you'll hav to stand outside for the entire day after that.

Wouldn't you like that, with the city burning down around you?

No?

I thought so.

Now quick.

I see you have your bags. I hope you brought all your books? Good, good. Did your mums pack you your lunches? Oh, you haven't seen your parents since the morning....don't worry dear, I'm sure they will be back by tomorrow. The grown-ups are...a little busy right now.

Oh!

I hope you all brought some extra clothes too? 

We'll have to walk a little faster my darlings. I've seen some shadows behind us, and they seem to be following awfully well. But don't you worry! I'm here, aren't I? Monsters will never get you as long as teacher is with you! The emperor will protect us all.I hope you understand that. If you do, hurry up. Don't look away from my dress.

Oh dear. You over there, you looked, didn't you? Yes, you did-your eyes are widened with shock. No child, shut up, SHUT UP. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU SAW IN THOSE GODDAMNED ALLEYS. I TOLD YOU TO LOOK AT MY DRESS, AND NOWHERE ELSE!

Oh dear, oh dear. I'm sorry, my darlings. Here, you, hold my hand.

Here, I'll show you something pretty. Can you see the smoke over the gold spires over there? Don't stop walking! Hold hands and just turn your head-Don't you dare stop walking!-yes, over those tall buildings over there. If you ignore the fires, don't they look like a ship? And that one is a giant, and that one is a hammer. And that one over there is a snake, look at the way its twisting over the giant! 

That's better. Keep walking.

Yes, dear, I've seen the man coming to us. Don't look him in the eyes, just at me. Yes, that's nice. 

Hello, sir? Can we help you? I don't suppose that awfully red shirt means well for us, now does it. Water? No, I haven't any. Oh dear! OH! Good sir, can you hear me? Sir? He's half gone already....

Children, I want you to close your eyes for a minute while I...put him to sleep.

Yes, that's what I'll do!

All of you doing as I said?

Such good children!

Hold my hands now, and don't open your eyes unless I tell you to.

Feeling hot? Yes dear, me too. Yes, I ca hear the sounds too. No, they aren't screams, and that isn't the crackling from fire. Of course it hard to walk, the streets are wet. You needn't bother with what. It's just some grown up business, don't you worry. The school is close now.

I can see the gates!

Hurry now, run! run!

Everyone in? Well done, all of you. Let me count your blessed little heads. One, two, three, four, five..wasn't there another? 

He's still outside?

Fool child must have opened his eyes. Never mind him. I'm sure his mum and dad will come to get him!

I'll lock the gates now.

Alfred! Alfred!

There you are. Take these children to the nursery, and wash them. They have fabric in their bags, make sure you take them out separately. We have to last for months with them, you hear me? Now children, follow him! Isn't he such a dear old man? We'll thank the emperor and have dinner as soon as you all get cleaned up!

Sigh. This is so tiring. I think I'll go up and have a little nap before the meal. It's going to be meat, I think. It's always meat. The foodstores are all gone and burned ever since the fighting started, and by god it's still going. It's a miracle I can get out and about at all. The smell alone is enough to kill me. How much longer will I have to stay cooped up in here? The cellar is starting to stink up too, as much if not worse than the city, even. We'll have to get rid of the waste soon. It's good I managed to get so many of the little ones, now if only we can keep them well fed...

Oh Alfred! Are they resting? Good, good. Have we had any words from the emperors? None at all? Ever since the rumors started things have been going up in flames. I can't believe this district fell too... I might even believe the Tenno actually rebelled at this rate...Well as long as we get some word from their directive soon we should be fine. I think we'll still have to last months with the little ones....have you gathered all their clothes? I think they should be enough for the fires for quite some time yet. And we still have some from the last group we brought over, yes? Good...

What's for dinner? More meat? It's all meat these days...

I don't mind the meat though I do feel really bad. But can you blame me? One does what one can. 

Thankfully the meat is tender, I hope? Good good.

Young meat always is.

Honourable Mentions:

Boodendorf, for their rendition of Riot! that supplies fast-paced action and a tight ending in a small package. More expanding on the characters themselves and more weight to each action (perhaps punishment for mistakes, maybe?) would put this story in the top spot.

"This ship is full of infested. If it's not a Tenno, kill it."

The orders coming from Lotus echoed in Trinity's helmet. Extermination missions weren't uncommon for her, and infesteds were creatures she had often dealt with. Still, she always felt uneasy on those missions.

The infestation made it harder to see and to navigate through the ship, or at least what remains of it, the monsters would come in never ending hordes and had to be dealt with in a way that it wouldn't attract a juggernaut.

Today though, things might be different, the support frame was paired up with Valkyr. At first she wasn't if it was a good idea, they were bound to trigger the juggernaut's appearance by having the berserk frame run amok.

Yet... The spectacle unfolding before her eyes was incredible.

Valkyr was unleashing her anger on the infesteds, to the point where Trinity almost felt bad for them.

But she couldn't take her eyes off the berserk frame.

As soon as infested had appeared on their mini maps, Valkyr had rushed forward with a war cry, immediately slamming down the charger that had had the unfortunate position of being the first in line of many infesteds, smashing his infested head to bloody pieces as blood splattered on the ground.

The raging frame had then proceeded to throw the carcass of the charger at incoming leapers, before she herself fearlessly leapt toward a toxic ancient, tearing him apart with her powerful claws.

The infested machines would be cut in half, the heavier infesteds were being mercilessly slaughtered and all Trinity had to do was to sometimes give a boost of energy to her enraged partner.

"Incoming juggernaut." 

Once more, Lotus' voice echoed.

Trinity checked around with her boltor in hands, waiting for the behemoth to come...
Front, sides, behind, no sign of the bigger monster, only small ones she dealt with quickly before focusing on searching again.

She then heard a strange sound coming from above her and before she knew it, the juggernaut was about to fall on her.

A furious cry resounded as Valkyr came flying and crashed straight into the monster, successfully pushing it far enough to keep the support frame safe. The frenzied frame relentlessly attacked the downed beast, doing her best to cut through the insanely tough hide. It didn't take long before she managed to tear apart one leg, then another, before she then violently sunk her claws straight into its soft spots, effectively destroying the infested's insides.

Before Trinity knew it, Valkyr gave her a small nod, confirming that the beast was dead.

The healer frame muttered a "thank you" through her communication device, and she swore she saw her partner smile through her helmet before she went back to slaughter the rest.

After that, Trinity judged that having a partner like that was definitely one of the best partner she could have.

This week's theme (starting next Sunday) is Enigma.  What I'm looking for in this piece is a real display of cleverness and wit to overcome a problem, not just mindless carnage blotted onto paper. Make me like the main character(s) from the get-go. 

I can make things better, everyone, and believe me, I will.

~ Five

Edited by FiveHours

Yay!

I'll refrain from competing next week, but you'll all still see me write something up so please come on over and provide feedback!

As for the prizes, Five, it is entirely up to you, because when I speak for myself at least the spoils are at the back of my mind. I compete for the feedback and betterment of my writings, so there's that. Don't pressure yourself!

*bows out*

It's a shame, that I have nothing to offer for this week. Of course, Evanescent has made a grand effort, something I should always be grateful for, and I am. If no one can contribute, I fully understand. In that case, I will instead make this a monthly contest for te following reasons: people will have more time to write (and time to write more), my finances will be nowhere near as strained, and themes can be more developed and unique. Thanks for understanding to everyone, I shall see you all in the new year. Stay frosty.

~Five

That can't be good. What's troubling you, friend?

Let's just say I've been having life changing weeks that also includes depression, panic attacks, and all the nice stuff that comes with it.

Thanks for worrying, though I won't be able to write in a while. Maybe I'll try to whip something up for next week, if this stays as a weekly, or this month I don't know.

Edited by Boodendorf

Let's just say I've been having life changing weeks that also includes depression, panic attacks, and all the nice stuff that comes with it.

Thanks for worrying, though I won't be able to write in a while. Maybe I'll try to whip something up for next week, if this stays as a weekly, or this month I don't know.

Nothing nice about that, at all. Whatever it is, it will pass.

This contest is not an obligation. Write only when you feel you can, and make sure to be proud of whatever you can submit.

Nothing nice about that, at all. Whatever it is, it will pass.

This contest is not an obligation. Write only when you feel you can, and make sure to be proud of whatever you can submit.

Hope so. I'm kinda lost in life right now.

I know, no worries. I love writing and it saddens me that I can't perform well or at all in one of my hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, everybody! Congratulations with every past achievement, and let there be many more to come! On the theme of fresh starts, I've selected a theme that is somewhat appropriate. There is an expression in Latin, tabula rasa, which means "blank slate". It means new beginnings, open minds, starting over. Somewhat also appropriate by coinciding with the new Second Dream update,

this theme is more about the Tenno (as in children)'s first experiences while piloting the Tenno, and what their feelings are to this new, bloody world they have been shoved into really are.

Results will be tallied at the end of the month. Have an excellent year, to everyone!

Still got 13 more days to go. How's everyone's entries so far?

I want to give this a try, count me in! If I understoddwell, we have to pm you the entry when it's finished, right? And the theme is a Tenno first time piloting a Warframe?

I want to give this a try, count me in! If I understoddwell, we have to pm you the entry when it's finished, right? And the theme is a Tenno first time piloting a Warframe?

Yes, please pm me the entry.

As for the theme, it can be whatever your interpretation of the title is. Good luck to you, newcomer!

Edited by FiveHours