Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can A Steam Controller Be Used On An Actual Pc?

bigdongbandito

I just need the confirmation. The Internet does not seem to offer any, and I've looked for a long time. 

I'm not taking the risk of buying a Steam Controller, only to find out that it can only be used with an Alienware Alpha, or on the console peasants.

Sorry, PS4/Xbox Warframe players.

The steam controller was originally designed for steam PC, not the steam boxes therefore it is compatible. It was made to make gaming more user friendly for people who like to play games on controller, but since there are so many K&M only games in steams store it was valves first party solution. The steam controller will be fully re-mappable and will have access to custom layouts that other users have made for games.

All other info can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/universe/controller/

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Hehe....I actually think the idea of an Alienware Alpha is alright.

-snip-

That kind of thinking is what turns people away from PC gaming, aside from exclusives. I have a high end PC as well as PS4, I play on both. Might even get an Xbone when backwards compatibility comes out (depending on titles it supports, would like to ditch my 360).

• 2 months later...

I think it's worth noting that at this point there are a few reviews of the controller out now, and the general reception is fairly negative. Some of the most common complaints are as follows:

Feels like it's going to break in my hands

No decent presets for different game genres

Extremely difficult for people with smaller than average hands

Touchpads are really only good for slow games like Civ 5

That's what I've been hearing, anyway. 

A few months before the the Steam controller was announced, I made a post somewhere with my concept art for a controller that used two touchpads to get mouse precision out of a gamepad. It wasn't well received.

Shortly after, Steam announced they were making exactly that and now they're going to make a fortune.

F*** you, universe lol

A few months before the the Steam controller was announced, I made a post somewhere with my concept art for a controller that used two touchpads to get mouse precision out of a gamepad. It wasn't well received.

Shortly after, Steam announced they were making exactly that and now they're going to make a fortune.

F*** you, universe lol

Rule #1 of Entrepreneurialism

Take your idea to the patent office before you start talking about it.