Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Black Ops 3 Or Fallout 4

bigdongbandito

Fallout 4 for me, unless they're finally going to release a proper PC version of COD. Treyarch have been making steady progress in that regard, WAW's performance was crap, BO had improved performance and the Dedis were alright, though the supplier wasn't great and the mod tools were piss poor no matter which of my fellow modders I talked too.

BO2 performance was even better, Dedicated servers took a step back, matchmaking purely routed through Treyarch dedis, and mod tools seem unlikely.

I'm hoping Treyarch will pull out a solid PC version for BO3, but frankly I lost all hope in COD quite a few years ago, and to this day still kick around with my clan on COD4 modded, simply because it still seems to be the best experience. It's just a shame cod4's engine is so outdated that there isn't any room for big overhaul mods to update the graphics and such.

Fallout on the other hand I'll probably have a good time with, albeit I preferred Obsidian's storytelling in New Vegas to Bethesda's world building in F3, that said having a working game in the first week (or the first months) is pretty important. Not going to prejudge, but based on F3 and TES, Bethesda has world building down but their stories can be quite meh at times.

Fallout 4 for me, unless they're finally going to release a proper PC version of COD. Treyarch have been making steady progress in that regard, WAW's performance was crap, BO had improved performance and the Dedis were alright, though the supplier wasn't great and the mod tools were piss poor no matter which of my fellow modders I talked too.

BO2 performance was even better, Dedicated servers took a step back, matchmaking purely routed through Treyarch dedis, and mod tools seem unlikely.

I'm hoping Treyarch will pull out a solid PC version for BO3, but frankly I lost all hope in COD quite a few years ago, and to this day still kick around with my clan on COD4 modded, simply because it still seems to be the best experience. It's just a shame cod4's engine is so outdated that there isn't any room for big overhaul mods to update the graphics and such.

Fallout on the other hand I'll probably have a good time with, albeit I preferred Obsidian's storytelling in New Vegas to Bethesda's world building in F3, that said having a working game in the first week (or the first months) is pretty important. Not going to prejudge, but based on F3 and TES, Bethesda has world building down but their stories can be quite meh at times.

Eh I personally prefered FO3 over FO NV allthough NV had a better story but one think I don't get at all is how your main character is downright clueless about everything in the game, "who's the Khans? Who's the NCR?" I do get that he got shot in the head but they didn't really make it seem like he has complete memory loss, FO3 on the other hand, you had reasons to be clueless about everything.

Edit: FO4 for me. Imo it'd give me much more time than BO3. I've played FO3 for hours upon hours (maybe 100+) but most shooters, maybe 30-60 hours in total?

Edited by izzatuw

Eh I personally prefered FO3 over FO NV allthough NV had a better story but one think I don't get at all is how your main character is downright clueless about everything in the game, "who's the Khans? Who's the NCR?" I do get that he got shot in the head but they didn't really make it seem like he has complete memory loss, FO3 on the other hand, you had reasons to be clueless about everything.

Agree completely, again this kinda comes down to the world building side of it that Obsidian aren't so good at. They have the same quirky dialogue in Alpha Protocol (Another great but horribly buggy Obsidian release), they get the story down well but they aren't very good at hiding their plot devices. At the very least they could attempt to disguise it as asking people their own opinions on each of the factions, or just seed bits of information throughout the world, read about the NCR on a computer at the mojave outpost or something.

How has nobody heard of CoD Finest Hour?

I actually played that a bit when I got it in some trilogy set thing for the PS2, I played through the campaign but I'm not much of a console player so I went back to COD1+2 after that, until 4 came about.

Edited by Jag272

And you're supposed to know who they are beforehand? I mean the whole reason why they have those dialogue options is for the player. I never knew who the Khans were, nor did I know who the NCR were (and before you say "The NCR were in previous games, not everyone has played them). Your point is a very small nitpick. 

And also the character (known as the Courier) has never gone to the Mojave desert before. He has gone to the Great Divide, and while they were present, it is highly likely that the Courier wouldn't remember two sides that had nothing to do with him on a delivery. But as we don't know the details as to his first delivery, it's impossible to be sure if he encountered them or not. However, as he makes it clear that he needs to be told what these are, we can infer that he never encountered them. 

OR

He did encounter them, but had no idea what they were. For all he knew, they were a bunch of robed Raiders.

And as for him losing all of his memory, I can imagine that he actually has. Because he had no idea what he had done in the Divide. If he did, he'd have remembered it. 

Edited by TheErebus.

I hear fallout 4 will be a major screw up tho, so hold on to the idea of fallout until the mods fixes what is wrong 

All I heard of Fallout 4 being a bad game was from that special group of people that dislikes and hates everything that isn't The Witcher 3.

It's Fallout, you don't need any other reason to buy it.

All I heard of Fallout 4 being a bad game was from that special group of people that dislikes and hates everything that isn't The Witcher 3.

I have several reasons as to why I'm being cautious about Fallout 4. 

And I'm not a Witcher fanboy either, only ever played the 3rd one.

I have yet to finish any witcher game.. with Bethesda's track record of casualising and consolising all their games I have no hope regarding for fallout 4 whatsoever until the modding community finishes the PC edition for them

And you're supposed to know who they are beforehand? I mean the whole reason why they have those dialogue options is for the player. I never knew who the Khans were, nor did I know who the NCR were (and before you say "The NCR were in previous games, not everyone has played them). Your point is a very small nitpick.

And also the character (known as the Courier) has never gone to the Mojave desert before. He has gone to the Great Divide, and while they were present, it is highly likely that the Courier wouldn't remember two sides that had nothing to do with him on a delivery. But as we don't know the details as to his first delivery, it's impossible to be sure if he encountered them or not. However, as he makes it clear that he needs to be told what these are, we can infer that he never encountered them.

OR

He did encounter them, but had no idea what they were. For all he knew, they were a bunch of robed Raiders.

And as for him losing all of his memory, I can imagine that he actually has. Because he had no idea what he had done in the Divide. If he did, he'd have remembered it.

I understand it's for the player but it's just weird. How about when you meet Veronica and if you have high enough intelligence you can actually give your small opinion on BOS? Now I could understand how the player and character could be clueless in FO3 since you were raised in a vault, not knowing the world outside. But you're a courier, a guy that travels here and there, this stuff should be known by the guy that keeps moving here and there at least and not straight up asking who these guys are. Doesn't make things better that you can change your age in NV. A normal NPC is more knowledgeable in the beginning than the main character. NCR is pretty much the biggest thing going on in the game so I'm sure he should have some knowledge about them especially since there was a fight for Hoover Dam before the courier even stepped in.

I'm just saying, they could've changed the dialogue here and there.

I have yet to finish any witcher game.. with Bethesda's track record of casualising and consolising all their games I have no hope regarding for fallout 4 whatsoever until the modding community finishes the PC edition for them

You just seem to be hating on Bethesda at this point. Fallout 4 seems to have lots of content for tons of hours without mods compared to FO3/NV with tons of mods. The only thing that I really felt was missing in FO3 was Hardcore mode and iron sights. What does consolising and casualising even mean??

FO4 seems to have added lots of things that even the modding community couldn't do so easily, weapon crafting, personal settlements that you can build the way you want it to, power armor tweaking, etc. I've seen vertibird mods but those are usual alternate fast travels/support/air strikes and a jet pack mod.

Also mods will be available for all platforms.

I understand it's for the player but it's just weird. How about when you meet Veronica and if you have high enough intelligence you can actually give your small opinion on BOS? Now I could understand how the player and character could be clueless in FO3 since you were raised in a vault, not knowing the world outside. 

Because the Brotherhood of Steel aren't only located in the Mojave desert, they are all over the country. 

But you're a courier, a guy that travels here and there, this stuff should be known by the guy that keeps moving here and there at least and not straight up asking who these guys are.

As if to say that a Courier really gets interested in the environment he's in. To me, the Courier just takes the job, delivers it and that's it. Not to engage in small talk about his environment. 

Doesn't make things better that you can change your age in NV.

We don't know if he's been a courier his whole life OR if he's just recently taking the job. Also, the Age thing is kinda pointless because my character was young. If yours was old, then that you can raise that point and it'd be valid. But because you can change it, everyone is going to say different things. 

A normal NPC is more knowledgeable in the beginning than the main character. NCR is pretty much the biggest thing going on in the game so I'm sure he should have some knowledge about them especially since there was a fight for Hoover Dam before the courier even stepped in.

Once again, the Courier has never been around the Mojave Desert aside from venturing to the Divide. And even then, why would he care about something totally unrelated. If I was the Courier, I wouldn't give a damn about people who aren't related to my current situation. And you just said "before he stepped in".

How is he supposed to know of something that he has never even there to witness or even close to hearing about it?

I'm just saying, they could've changed the dialogue here and there.

Again, you're just nitpicking. To me, I had no issues with how Obsidian handled the dialogue/character. 

You just seem to be hating on Bethesda at this point. Fallout 4 seems to have lots of content for tons of hours without mods compared to FO3/NV with tons of mods. The only thing that I really felt was missing in FO3 was Hardcore mode and iron sights. What does consolising and casualising even mean??

FO4 seems to have added lots of things that even the modding community couldn't do so easily, weapon crafting, personal settlements that you can build the way you want it to, power armor tweaking, etc. I've seen vertibird mods but those are usual alternate fast travels/support/air strikes and a jet pack mod.

If the gunplay is the exact same as F4, I'm going to be very dissapointed. Bethesda seems to be constantly making their combat either the same or slightly improved i.e The dual wielding and executions in Skyrim = BIG IMPROVEMENT

it had to be done for the new players since the khans was only mentioned in Fallout1, has some presence in fallout2, I cant recall them being in tactics, or fallout 3 and then boom they are back in NV.. same thing with the NCR, they were only a thing in fallout 2, and then reintroduced in NV so for someone that was new and only started playing since fallout3 all this new lore would have been something strange to them, so they needed a way to introduce lore to these new peeps

there was weapon crafting, there was some mods for it, did we bother with it? nope... we had vehicles from mods did we really bother with it? nope yet again, settlements was from mods dating back to oblivion, had couple of settlement mods in skyrim, and then the developers themselves started giving us places to build like our little house in skyrim, now we get to build  a settlement in fallout, with basic NPC's that will most likely be like the basic NPC's in skyrim.. follow me, stay here, go home, bake me a cake.... something the modding community was doing for ages, although we had more options that the NPC's could do... nothing Bethesda is doing is new, its everything the Modding community has done previously, power armour upgrades was available in fallout 1 as well, so again nothing new. maybe more dynamic on their take of it, but not new, also in fallout 2 you had a car that you could pimp up

Because the Brotherhood of Steel aren't only located in the Mojave desert, they are all over the country.

As if to say that a Courier really gets interested in the environment he's in. To me, the Courier just takes the job, delivers it and that's it. Not to engage in small talk about his environment.

We don't know if he's been a courier his whole life OR if he's just recently taking the job. Also, the Age thing is kinda pointless because my character was young. If yours was old, then that you can raise that point and it'd be valid. But because you can change it, everyone is going to say different things.

Once again, the Courier has never been around the Mojave Desert aside from venturing to the Divide. And even then, why would he care about something totally unrelated. If I was the Courier, I wouldn't give a damn about people who aren't related to my current situation. And you just said "before he stepped in".

How is he supposed to know of something that he has never even there to witness or even close to hearing about it?

Again, you're just nitpicking. To me, I had no issues with how Obsidian handled the dialogue/character.

If the gunplay is the exact same as F4, I'm going to be very dissapointed. Bethesda seems to be constantly making their combat either the same or slightly improved i.e The dual wielding and executions in Skyrim = BIG IMPROVEMENT

If I were a courier I'd try to get some info here and there, so you'd know to not cross these guys, mix with those guys etc. plus with the world's enviroment I'd say every individual needs some knowledge of every major faction to some extent like NCR (at least) considering there numbers (all though Idm not knowing about Khans and Powder Gangers since they're pretty small compared to NCR). Ah whatever it's gonna be a pointless argument.

I did see a small change but huge improvement (imo) in the showcase, like being able to throw a grenade without actually equipping/hotkeying it (thank gawd). VATS seem to have improved significantly, the transitioning seems smooth and nice compared to FO3/NV. Seems like you can melee with your pistol now and actual iron sights.

Let's just hope the guy really meant it when he said they were focusing on gun play since early development.

I did see a small change but huge improvement (imo) in the showcase, like being able to throw a grenade without actually equipping/hotkeying it (thank gawd). VATS seem to have improved significantly, the transitioning seems smooth and nice compared to FO3/NV. Seems like you can melee with your pistol now and actual iron sights.

Let's just hope the guy really meant it when he said they were focusing on gun play since early development.

Grenades?

Cool.

VATs improvement.

Cool.

But the way the guns feel is the important part. In F3, F:NV (and to an even further extent Skyrim and Oblivion), the gunplay (combat) is stiff and felt as if your arm is just a plank of wood in front of your face. 

there was weapon crafting, there was some mods for it, did we bother with it? nope... we had vehicles from mods did we really bother with it? nope yet again, settlements was from mods dating back to oblivion, had couple of settlement mods in skyrim, and then the developers themselves started giving us places to build like our little house in skyrim, now we get to build a settlement in fallout, with basic NPC's that will most likely be like the basic NPC's in skyrim.. follow me, stay here, go home, bake me a cake.... something the modding community was doing for ages, although we had more options that the NPC's could do... nothing Bethesda is doing is new, its everything the Modding community has done previously, power armour upgrades was available in fallout 1 as well, so again nothing new. maybe more dynamic on their take of it, but not new, also in fallout 2 you had a car that you could pimp up

The modding community builds on top of somethig the developers create. Cut some slack, modders do not recreate the whole game, they do not redesign their game, they just add more on top of that game. The modding community is allowed to release their own work whenever they want, however they want, whatever they want for free. What about the people that created the base game? They do this stuff because it's litterally their job to do so, modders just do it for the fun of it. Without the actual developers what game are modders gonna mod?

I'm sure one of the main reasons Bethesda/mod friendly games don't make there games too big is because they want to create a game that the majority of players can play at a decent performance. I'm sure as heck that FO4 could have been Witcher 3 level graphics if they wanted to but the performance would be crap if they did. Example, PS4 and Xbox One already struggle playing Witcher 3 at a decent frame rate. My PC can play FO: NV at around 60FPS without mods, but with them, yeah I'm gonna be getting

30-40FPS.

Grenades?

Cool.

VATs improvement.

Cool.

But the way the guns feel is the important part. In F3, F:NV (and to an even further extent Skyrim and Oblivion), the gunplay (combat) is stiff and felt as if your arm is just a plank of wood in front of your face.

Yeah it felt static and weird. But this one looks more natural, hopefully it'll feel more natural.

Supposedly jetpack fuel will actually be consumed by Action Points. Supposedly, that's just my scan on the video.

Edited by izzatuw

you do know that bethesda maxes their engine builds to the lowest denominator right, thats why the pc version feels like a console game, and why we need mods to get graphics back on par, yes I could run full graphics on fallout and NV with no problem... couldn't do the same on Crysis, why cause crysis was build for the pc and laaaaaater ported over to the console, same with witcher, its build for pc and ported to the console, not build for the console and ported over to the pc... and no the modding community did not build the game, but looking at all the stuff that is being added is stuff the modding community had been adding for ages

@Erebus, should remind you that NV was developed by Obsidian and not Bethesda.

Even so, they were under heavy supervision by Bethesda and had to use their engine. 

Because Obsidian wouldn't have made the game like that with an engine that Bethesda has made.