Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Re-Implementing Horizontal-Wallrunning [ Parkour 2.0 ] ( Updated )

KyleDelta

Old Concept:

I'm very impressed and excited to see the new changes to parkour 2.0, a lot of the features that where shown in Devstream 57 where amazing looking, However what saddened me the most is the removal of horizontal-Wallrunning, Wallrunning has got to be my favorite part of the warframe parkour system and now its getting removed in favor of "Wall-hopping".

I'm not entirely against wall-hopping, It actually advances in many places wallrunning didn't such as accuracy of movement and no train-track restrictions, players can also switch directions a lot easier.

But one of my problems with wall-hopping is that it doesn't have the aesthetic flow that Horizontal-wallrunning did, I also wouldn't like having to constantly press [spacebar] over and over just to get across a wall.

So here is a possible way they could include both maneuvers:

Re-Implementation:

Back in Devstream 52 Horizontal-Wallrunning was planned to be included in parkour 2.0 before the concept was changed, It featured a new Directional Horizontal Wallrun that would allow players to run up or down walls with ease and remove some of the restrictions of the old wallrun, This would work perfectly with the new wall-hop maneuver:

How Directional Horizontal-Wallrunning Could combine with wall-hopping:

Currently it is planned for players to hit [spacebar] alongside a wall until the destination is reached:

Example:

oY2OwSb.png

So all that needs to be done is a feature that allows players to Horizontal-wallrun whenever the [spacebar] is held down, with directional horizontal-wallrunning the transition between horizontal wall-running and wall-hopping can be made more seamless so players can choose how they want to go about traversing the landscape, It would also allow players to coast along flat surfaces until they hit rugged terrain and transition to wall-hopping.

Here is a small example:

Red = Wall-hop

Green = Horizontal-Wallrun area

Orange = Wall-hop transition ( Releasing Spacebar )

XJAoqWG.png

Will this improve parkour 2.0 in any way? Probably not, But it would add another parkour option for players to choose from and that's always a plus in my book, It would also allow players to coast along flat surfaces without having to constantly hit space-bar.

I know this feedback is a bit early and I'll be sure to make some tweeks to my feedback once I actually test out Parkour 2.0 in U17 but I just really hope that wall-running will make a comeback in the future.

New Concept:

After getting a feel for the new Parkour 2.0 and reading some suggestions I decided to update my concept so that it would fit better with the new changes that where made in parkour 2.0.

Horizontal Wall-running

As suggested by Kettunen and Hyenagrin using the Left-shift ( Sprint ) to initiate a horizontal wall-run would make more sense and would actually fit a lot better than the space-bar in the new parkour 2.0 release.

So Horizontal-wallrunning could be implemented by using [Left Shift] to wall-run, You would also be able to transition from wall-hopping to wall-running.

It would also have its own traits such as Faster speed and more Fluid movement.

cS6GpzM.jpg

Horizontal wall-running would slightly take after the 2.0 concept shown in devstream 52 where wall-running would be more direction oriented so you will be able to more accurately choose where you want to go ( Example:

szfLMGy.png

), In order to keep players from overusing the directional capability of Horizontal wall-running ( Aka: Running up a wall in an upward diagonal angle infinitely ) Wall-running would draw from your bullet-glide/wall-latch stamina when moving and It will drain faster at an upward angle, However horizontal wall-running will not completely drain your wall-latch/bullet-glide energy, it would only draw up to half ( to save energy for a wall-latch or glide directly after ).

The more angled upward your wall-run is the more energy you drain, Once your wall-latch/bullet-glide energy is depleted you will start to wall-run at a downward angle, You can transition back to wall-hopping to regain energy.

Red - Extreme Wall-latch/Bullet-glide Stamina strain.

Yellow - Medium Wall-latch/Bullet-glide stamina strain.

Green - Low wall-latch/Bullet-glide Stamina strain.

eqmh9ys.jpg

kmlp36i.png

That's about all I have for now, Be sure to leave your suggestions :D.

Edited by KyleDelta

My only qualm with Parkour 2.0 is the repeated tapping of the spacebar to wall(run/hop). If we hold the spacebar in 2.0, what does it do? If it has no function, then there's no reason not to have it in there! It'd be much easier on my ancient keyboard, God bless his rattling keys.

I feel as if there should be a short period where holding down the space key against a wall should gently curve you along the wall (based on angle of aproach and speed), and if not released quickly could lead to a gentle slide down the wall that gets progressively faster downwards until regular fall speed is reached, or a wall latch is executed. During this wall sliding or wall running period, releasing the jump button would make the Tenno hop with the current parkour 2.0 wall hop, and the hops speed/direction would retain the angle and momentum from whatever state the wall run/slide down was in.

Don't know if they could program this in time for the release, but it would be a nice addition (for style points and fun mainly).

Also, one of DE's goals was to reduce the repetitious button presses/holds that were awkward, and I can see constantly tapping the jump button being awkward and tireing on the fingers if pressed over and over whilst other inputs are being made.

Edited by Vougue

I think the reason they gave for removing wallrunning is that there are too many uneven surfaces that break the flow of wallruns to ever incorporate it into the new system. Rabbit jumping also increases flexibility in how and where you move.

I wouldn't say no to keeping wallrunning in, though.

I'm with OP on this one. I was thinking about similar addition to parkour 2.0 system. However there should be the option to continue wall hopping afterwall running while also being able to jump to parallel wall and continue running. I think that Steve mentioned during devstream that the system is contextual to the direction you are facing. Therefore depending on where you were facing you could perform either one. Where I fell short however was how you could wall latch with this system?

Where I fell short however was how you could wall latch with this system?

I originally thought maybe holding crouch while next to a wall would make you wall latch but with the addition of bullet jumping it would complicate things, It would probably work with the planned wall-latch control [ Right mouse button ] but only when you aren't holding the spacebar.

So when wall-wallrunning you would have to hold down right mouse button/aim before letting go of the spacebar to latch onto the wall, They showed a similar concept for wall-running where you instantly stop, although having a sudden stop on a wall would look a bit awkward... But then again regular wall-latching looks odd to me anyway so I might have to get used to it.

I originally thought maybe holding crouch while next to a wall would make you wall latch but with the addition of bullet jumping it would complicate things, It would probably work with the planned wall-latch control [ Right mouse button ] but only when you aren't holding the spacebar.

So when wall-wallrunning you would have to hold down right mouse button/aim before letting go of the spacebar to latch onto the wall, They showed a similar concept for wall-running where you instantly stop, although having a sudden stop on a wall would look a bit awkward... But then again regular wall-latching looks odd to me anyway so I might have to get used to it.

I'd prefer a bit simpler and more intuitive controls. After giving it some thought today I came up with this approach:

1. Spacebar is wall hopping, that automatically latches to walls after hopping, so you don't have to keep spacebar pressed if you want to take aim/jump to another wall/dive at enemy.

2. Pressing Spacebar again executes another hop that is contextual to the direction you're facing (hop or jump away).

3. Pressing Shift while jumping at wall executes wall running either horizontally or vertically depending on which way you're looking (actually makes sense since you're running -_-,)

4. Pressing Spacebar while wall running executes wall hop.

5. Pressing Shift after wall hop starts wall run again (although this might not be necessary).

I think taking advantage of Shift-key makes perfect sense since it's not used by any other while in midair. I really hope DE would let us keep wallrunning as back-up option even though not all tilesets support it fully because, as has been stated before, it's an essential part of ninja aesthetic of WF..

I feel as if there should be a short period where holding down the space key against a wall should gently curve you along the wall (based on angle of aproach and speed), and if not released quickly could lead to a gentle slide down the wall that gets progressively faster downwards until regular fall speed is reached, or a wall latch is executed. During this wall sliding or wall running period, releasing the jump button would make the Tenno hop with the current parkour 2.0 wall hop, and the hops speed/direction would retain the angle and momentum from whatever state the wall run/slide down was in.

Don't know if they could program this in time for the release, but it would be a nice addition (for style points and fun mainly).

Also, one of DE's goals was to reduce the repetitious button presses/holds that were awkward, and I can see constantly tapping the jump button being awkward and tireing on the fingers if pressed over and over whilst other inputs are being made.

This, basically. Same thing I was thinking. I am not sure what is preventing wall-running from meshing with the new system, basically, you press Space to 'connect' with the wall, hold to run, release to jump. If you just tap Space, you will immediately attach and jump without running.

I'd like this a lot. Having to constantly hop takes attention, and I like using wall-running moments to look and assess a situation without worrying about losing my grip and falling.

It doesn't need to be a full straight wall-run like we currently have, it could be a fair bit shorter (probably relative to speed) in order to emphasize the jumping aspect. But I think there's a good place for wall-running to fit into this new system (which I am otherwise very excited about, just wanted to add).

Edited by HyenaGrin

I'd prefer a bit simpler and more intuitive controls. After giving it some thought today I came up with this approach:

1. Spacebar is wall hopping, that automatically latches to walls after hopping, so you don't have to keep spacebar pressed if you want to take aim/jump to another wall/dive at enemy.

2. Pressing Spacebar again executes another hop that is contextual to the direction you're facing (hop or jump away).

3. Pressing Shift while jumping at wall executes wall running either horizontally or vertically depending on which way you're looking (actually makes sense since you're running -_-,)

4. Pressing Spacebar while wall running executes wall hop.

5. Pressing Shift after wall hop starts wall run again (although this might not be necessary).

I think taking advantage of Shift-key makes perfect sense since it's not used by any other while in midair. I really hope DE would let us keep wallrunning as back-up option even though not all tilesets support it fully because, as has been stated before, it's an essential part of ninja aesthetic of WF..

This could totally work. 

Even though my personal preference would be to use the the space bar ( Since i'm so used to the old control-settings ), but this would definitely make sense since the shift key isn't really used during parkour, Hopefully they would make the hotkeys changeable for player-preference and add the option to automatically wall-latch or not when wall-hopping, again my personal preference is to be in constant motion so automatically wall-latching would probably bug me, but great idea :D.

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and updated the concept with a few suggested features in mind, I also had the idea that wall-running would draw from your bullet-glide/wall-latch energy/stamina to hopefully even out the difference between both wall-hopping and wall-running.

My thought to have it drain wall-latch energy was so that players would treat wall-running as a whole different maneuver instead of just another alternative to wall-hopping, It would also prevent players from just using wall-running to get everywhere. If you have any suggestions for this idea share your thoughts on it :D.