Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Sharing Xbox/pc Lack Thereof

(XBOX)Dukehuna

This post started on an older topic here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/427798-buy-plat-on-alt-account/

And suggested to start a new post....

The problem is if I want to play Warframe with friends on both the xbox and the PC I have to buy plat twice.  If you had 2 accounts on the same platform it's the same. I recently started a second PC account so I could play with my friend when he's over (who doesn't have a PC). He's my xbox friend.  So, the official answer is if I want to play warframe with friends... in the same physical location... they either have to buy a gaming laptop or I have to lug an xbox over their house and set up another TV?

For a game that is made for multiple platforms and all platforms can access their account on the internet. Why can't one account rule them all? I feel like I'M being farmed for credits.

I've bought games twice before but I wont buy the second time at full price. I brought my friends to this game and this is how I get repaid? Yes, I'm mad.

I understand that companies need to make money. But there is a point that when a product does well, such a company with that product should start to give back. Do you think World of Warcraft should have continued to charge $15 a month after reaching their level of success? With 12 million users at their peak, how much a month does that make?  $180 MILLION.  That's in a single month!

I Don't have the whole picture. But there are other examples where you think to yourself these products make way to much money. And yeah, if their the new kid on the block they should be rewarded for their novelty, but novelty ends and being taken to the cleaners ensues... Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc... not all that novell anymore (even their new products aren't novel.. the watch .. they were told to make that one by the consumer). See here, Apple Posts biggest quarterly profit in History: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31012410

One extremely dirty business tactic that makes me sick is to make a product and then live off it with the least amount of effort. We're no talking about Warframe here. I'm talking relatively speaking. You make a product, it gains popularity, you work enough to sustain it and you pocket the extra cash.

... back to Warframe, they're not the worst. They're just becoming another company like the rest.

I believe they originally planned for Cross-play but stuff like update times "killed" it. Since as they say, if PC has something consoles don't, stuff breaks, and before you say "They should just slow PC and release all at same time", they've already promised that no platform will be held up for another (recent PS4 and Xbox 1 stuff has made this a tiny bit debatable) and well its easier to fix stuff on PC since no Cert Time and DE find its better to release for PC then fix any problems, make sure those fixes are integrated and then send next build + fixes to cert so consoles get a more polished build. 

Firstly this is a Free game so there is no need to spend any money but you are making sound like it is a requirement to play and enjoy the game, which it is not.

Secondly it would be impossible to have one single account as Sony & Microsoft user accounts are separate with its own terms & agreements. Crossplatforming will not happen as the build will never line up. 

Just as fyi there is not one single game that exists which has a single user account over several platforms again because Sony and Microsoft have their own rules. This will never change.

There are what appears to be many problems here.

1 Playing with friends) You said your friend is your Xbox friend right? I know a lot of games appear to be intended for playing physically together, but I doubt warframe is, being an online game and all the intention is that you play together online not IRL. This is unfortunate, but it is a cost that must be paid for most modern online content. If you want to play an online game together IRL it no longer becomes the developer's problem as the game is meant for online, it is a choice you must make.

2 buying plat twice) unfortunately, at the moment and probably forever you need to separate accounts to go on 2 platforms so you would have to buy platinum twice, this is expected if you want two accounts.

3 The fact you need separate accounts) Accross platforms the game is coded differently to work with how the platform can process the information, th PS4 for example uses a different programming base than the PS3 so even in the same franchise cross compatibility is hard to achieve, now imagine having to pull an account from a cloud and import it to a different platform while also modifying data to match the new platform, it's over complicating things. For some games cross platform has worked, but they are getting less frequent updates than warframe is (counting all updates to all platforms) and most of them don't have to deal with exclusives for each platform and various bugs that might appear in one platform but not the next. Remember when new content comes out on PC it is often bugged and gets fixed in the near future, also the addition of said new content will further complicate data transfers over platforms.

A further note on 3) There has been account migration to Ps4 and Xbox before, but this may or may not return and was a 1 off, the process duplicated your account so you were still on PC but had an identical console account, although all PC exclusives didn't carry over to the console account.

4 Games need to make money) Correct, once a game does well it can cancel various pay methods and/or contracts. But this game is not in a finished state yet... Technically it is still in beta and given the developers still make a mass of updates, money must be generated off of the game some how, otherwise it is just free to play unless they go down a sponsorship route that would annoy many players.

Sorry if this comes Accross as negative, we may see cross platform in the future when all platforms are up to date if they ever are, but for now I'd assume that we won't. Trust me, I see where you're coming from, it can be a pain having to deal with local single player account based games and having friends over, but until the game finishes development (if ever), it is better to assume that this game cannot and will not be able to be played together locally without large monetary expense.

TL;DR While I see the point of what is being said, the income is needed as the game is still in development and cross platform currently is impossible due to the distance between each platform... Sorry about the word wall.

Firstly this is a Free game so there is no need to spend any money but you are making sound like it is a requirement to play and enjoy the game, which it is not.

Secondly it would be impossible to have one single account as Sony & Microsoft user accounts are separate with its own terms & agreements. Crossplatforming will not happen as the build will never line up. 

Just as fyi there is not one single game that exists which has a single user account over several platforms again because Sony and Microsoft have their own rules. This will never change.

This is extremely correct (Also Hi!!)

i agree for the most part but FFXI main account can be used across all 3 platforms there are VERY few games that do this but they do exist.

This is extremely correct (Also Hi!!)

Hi back.

i agree for the most part but FFXI main account can be used across all 3 platforms there are VERY few games that do this but they do exist.

I did not realize FFXI could do that. Learn something new everyday even in my old age :)

I believe they originally planned for Cross-play but stuff like update times "killed" it. Since as they say, if PC has something consoles don't, stuff breaks, and before you say "They should just slow PC and release all at same time", they've already promised that no platform will be held up for another (recent PS4 and Xbox 1 stuff has made this a tiny bit debatable) and well its easier to fix stuff on PC since no Cert Time and DE find its better to release for PC then fix any problems, make sure those fixes are integrated and then send next build + fixes to cert so consoles get a more polished build. 

I understand the concept of Cross-play, and I was interested in it's potential. But I don't expect it to ever work for the reasons u mention.

The other issue stated in the previous thread is about not allowing the user to share platinum between accounts. It stems from my interest in buying sale platinum that I could purchase on the PC that I would like to "give" to my xbox account. Same user with an xbox and a PC account. If I want to buy Platinum from DE for Warframe on either system I don't care about their reasons for separating them, I am the customer that used to mean something and they should care about my needs.

I don't care about their worries that users could be trying to buck the system. They're making money either way.

A major point of the game is the journey of aquiring this things, there's no point if you're not going to keep them. At the very least you need to purchase additional slots to hold more warframes and weapons. That is if you enjoy the game and want to keep playing after youve filled your limited inventory space.

If I enjoy a F2P game I will spend money on it. The developers deserve my support if I enjoy the experience.

No argument that Sony and Microsoft are different companies, but they're not the ones inspiring me to play on their console. BOTTOM LINE: I choose to play Warframe 1st and the platorm I choose is dependant upon who I'm playing with. So let me play with who I want to play with and what I want to play and don't punish me for having friends that not surprisingly chose to play on different devices!

There are what appears to be many problems here.

1 Playing with friends) You said your friend is your Xbox friend right? I know a lot of games appear to be intended for playing physically together, but I doubt warframe is, being an online game and all the intention is that you play together online not IRL. This is unfortunate, but it is a cost that must be paid for most modern online content. If you want to play an online game together IRL it no longer becomes the developer's problem as the game is meant for online, it is a choice you must make.

2 buying plat twice) unfortunately, at the moment and probably forever you need to separate accounts to go on 2 platforms so you would have to buy platinum twice, this is expected if you want two accounts.

3 The fact you need separate accounts) Accross platforms the game is coded differently to work with how the platform can process the information, th PS4 for example uses a different programming base than the PS3 so even in the same franchise cross compatibility is hard to achieve, now imagine having to pull an account from a cloud and import it to a different platform while also modifying data to match the new platform, it's over complicating things. For some games cross platform has worked, but they are getting less frequent updates than warframe is (counting all updates to all platforms) and most of them don't have to deal with exclusives for each platform and various bugs that might appear in one platform but not the next. Remember when new content comes out on PC it is often bugged and gets fixed in the near future, also the addition of said new content will further complicate data transfers over platforms.

A further note on 3) There has been account migration to Ps4 and Xbox before, but this may or may not return and was a 1 off, the process duplicated your account so you were still on PC but had an identical console account, although all PC exclusives didn't carry over to the console account.

4 Games need to make money) Correct, once a game does well it can cancel various pay methods and/or contracts. But this game is not in a finished state yet... Technically it is still in beta and given the developers still make a mass of updates, money must be generated off of the game some how, otherwise it is just free to play unless they go down a sponsorship route that would annoy many players.

Sorry if this comes Accross as negative, we may see cross platform in the future when all platforms are up to date if they ever are, but for now I'd assume that we won't. Trust me, I see where you're coming from, it can be a pain having to deal with local single player account based games and having friends over, but until the game finishes development (if ever), it is better to assume that this game cannot and will not be able to be played together locally without large monetary expense.

TL;DR While I see the point of what is being said, the income is needed as the game is still in development and cross platform currently is impossible due to the distance between each platform... Sorry about the word wall.

1. So you're saying the developer shouldn't care about their users? Are you a user? Do you want Developers to care about what you want? If anybody who made anything didn't care about their consumer where would we be?

2. Age old gripe here, I didn't like buying a dvd if I owned VHS, a widescreen version when I owned the standerd version, the bluray when I owned the dvd. So I don't like it in this case either.

3. Nothing is impossible, companies work on cross compatability all the time. Text files are used all the time as configuration files and any system can be designed to read that. (cross platform play could be a great solution if it worked).

4. Account migration was a nice thought, but I missed it and I'm sure others did not have the opportunity either. The problem is in the initial design of the business model.. what do your customers want and design intentionally for that. I have friends that play on different systems, as most people do, I want to play with them. I, a user, don't care about what system I'm on I want to play on whatever allows me to play with those friends and not be penalized to play with different friends >> I DO NOT ALLOW DEVICES OR SOFTWARE INFLUENCE WHO MY FRIENDS ARE. No one should. Sorry for the all caps, I'm not yelling, I just want that to be seen as the important point here.

Do you know how much money they're making? I'm not saying I do. But I think it's safe to say they're doing ok if they're publishing to the consoles, the PC continue to develop and charge the prices they do.

On my second account I might have considered buying some of the content to give me things quicker if the prices weren't rediculous. This way they're not getting that money. Which is more the money they get from the few people that can spend that kind of cash or the number of peoplle that want to play with friends on different platforms?

A major point of the game is the journey of aquiring this things, there's no point if you're not going to keep them. At the very least you need to purchase additional slots to hold more warframes and weapons. That is if you enjoy the game and want to keep playing after youve filled your limited inventory space.

If I enjoy a F2P game I will spend money on it. The developers deserve my support if I enjoy the experience.

No argument that Sony and Microsoft are different companies, but they're not the ones inspiring me to play on their console. BOTTOM LINE: I choose to play Warframe 1st and the platorm I choose is dependant upon who I'm playing with. So let me play with who I want to play with and what I want to play and don't punish me for having friends that not surprisingly chose to play on different devices!

Apparently you still do not understand it is not in the control of DE when it comes to user accounts and sharing across platforms. It is not something feasible to be done.

Also it still does not require a penny put into this game in order to get extra weapon/frame slots or gear. Simply trading is the way to get the platinum you need. Sure you enjoy it and want to support it, but making it sound like a requirement to spend money to enjoy is not how this F2P game works.

Not DE's fault you choose to play on various platforms. There was an opportunity to duplicate your account but that is gone and again it is up to MS & Sony to decide whether to allow such thing to happen again.

Apparently you still do not understand it is not in the control of DE when it comes to user accounts and sharing across platforms. It is not something feasible to be done.

Also it still does not require a penny put into this game in order to get extra weapon/frame slots or gear. Simply trading is the way to get the platinum you need. Sure you enjoy it and want to support it, but making it sound like a requirement to spend money to enjoy is not how this F2P game works.

Not DE's fault you choose to play on various platforms. There was an opportunity to duplicate your account but that is gone and again it is up to MS & Sony to decide whether to allow such thing to happen again.

I don't appreciate your groundless condescending attitude.  - "Apparently you still do not understand".

You and I do not know what DE can and can't do.

I understand perfectly what you're saying and disagree.

I'm sure that's what DE wants to hear is that you don't spend any money on Warframe. You ever think about the kids you're taking advantage of by taking their platinum in trade?

The idea of F2P sounds great, but it is a misleading description. I like F2P because it gives me the chance to try a game without paying for it. That's great, but every company who makes a F2P wants and has to make money. It's not free. Maybe it's free for you because you don't even want to pay for a game you enjoy, that's called cheap. I'd be fine with that if you were turning it around on the company that's trying to get your money. But You're only hurting other players. But go ahead keep behaving that way, and see how F2P continues to evolve if everyone has your attitude.

I want to pay a fair price for any product that deserves it.

You don't get it.

You're telling me that you don't have friends that play on other platforms that you want to play with? You might reconsider your definition of a friend.  It seems like we're letting other's tell us who they are by what platform we're playing on.

The other issue stated in the previous thread is about not allowing the user to share platinum between accounts. It stems from my interest in buying sale platinum that I could purchase on the PC that I would like to "give" to my xbox account. Same user with an xbox and a PC account. If I want to buy Platinum from DE for Warframe on either system I don't care about their reasons for separating them, I am the customer that used to mean something and they should care about my needs.

Microsoft takes a cut of all plat sales on XB1. They don't take a cut of plat sales on PS4 or PC for obvious reasons. Why would Microsoft want to make it so that players can acquire plat without them getting their cut?

Microsoft takes a cut of all plat sales on XB1. They don't take a cut of plat sales on PS4 or PC for obvious reasons. Why would Microsoft want to make it so that players can acquire plat without them getting their cut?

Do you actually know how Microsoft gets their cut or are you just saying?

Are you defending Microsoft? Why would you?

They can find other ways to get paid without impacting the End User.

They should care about making the user experience a good one. Have you happened to notice that microsoft cares more about being the centerpiece to everyone's livingroom more than they care about gamers?

I don't appreciate your groundless condescending attitude.  - "Apparently you still do not understand".

You and I do not know what DE can and can't do.

I understand perfectly what you're saying and disagree.

I'm sure that's what DE wants to hear is that you don't spend any money on Warframe. You ever think about the kids you're taking advantage of by taking their platinum in trade?

The idea of F2P sounds great, but it is a misleading description. I like F2P because it gives me the chance to try a game without paying for it. That's great, but every company who makes a F2P wants and has to make money. It's not free. Maybe it's free for you because you don't even want to pay for a game you enjoy, that's called cheap. I'd be fine with that if you were turning it around on the company that's trying to get your money. But You're only hurting other players. But go ahead keep behaving that way, and see how F2P continues to evolve if everyone has your attitude.

I want to pay a fair price for any product that deserves it.

You don't get it.

You're telling me that you don't have friends that play on other platforms that you want to play with? You might reconsider your definition of a friend.  It seems like we're letting other's tell us who they are by what platform we're playing on.

I still don't think you get the picture and obviously you have no clue here, so I am done with you.  One day you will look up the information and understand how an F2P concept actually works. Yes people pay real money but in truth the majority of the playerbase is actually free players and not the other way around.  A great Free game leads to people spending money and not the other way around.

I do know plenty of people on other platforms, but I only play on PC as that is my choice to do so. If I should ever decide to play on a console than I would man up and invest money there as well if I so choose, but I would not be here whining like a kid because you think that it is unfair to have to have separate accounts and spend money separately. 

Truth is I know a lot more about this than you think, but hey I don't have to defend my point here I am just giving you feedback on your post, and if you don't like it or can't handle the response than in the future think about that before making a post!

Do you actually know how Microsoft gets their cut or are you just saying?

That's how they get their cut. They take a cut of plat sales on their platform. It's the same with the PS4's store.

Are you defending Microsoft? Why would you?

No, I'm pointing out that "I want to be able to transfer plat from off platform onto my xbone account" runs up into the wall of "where's our cut?" from MS. It's the way things are. It's the same general reason why there's no Xbone -> PC account transfers, only the PC -> Xbone/PS4. Microsoft wants their cut. People buying plat on xbox gives them that cut, people buying plat elsewhere does not. The same applies to Sony. Neither console manufacturer puts F2P games on their platform out of the goodness of their hearts. They're corporations, it's all about the dosh.

They can find other ways to get paid without impacting the End User.

For example...?

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

I still don't think you get the picture and obviously you have no clue here, so I am done with you.  One day you will look up the information and understand how an F2P concept actually works. Yes people pay real money but in truth the majority of the playerbase is actually free players and not the other way around.  A great Free game leads to people spending money and not the other way around.

I do know plenty of people on other platforms, but I only play on PC as that is my choice to do so. If I should ever decide to play on a console than I would man up and invest money there as well if I so choose, but I would not be here whining like a kid because you think that it is unfair to have to have separate accounts and spend money separately. 

Truth is I know a lot more about this than you think, but hey I don't have to defend my point here I am just giving you feedback on your post, and if you don't like it or can't handle the response than in the future think about that before making a post!

"... obviously you have no clue here"

Again with the groundless condescension.

Where do you get your information? What constitutes a majority of the player base? Do you have the figures?

You can't answer because you don't have the figures from a reputable source. So don't pretend that something you read once is fact.

"...Whining like a kid"

Good one. I'm sorry you don't understand my perspective.

Thanks for taking your time to write.

Good bye.

That's how they get their cut. They take a cut of plat sales on their platform. It's the same with the PS4's store.

No, I'm pointing out that "I want to be able to transfer plat from off platform onto my xbone account" runs up into the wall of "where's our cut?" from MS. It's the way things are. It's the same general reason why there's no Xbone -> PC account transfers, only the PC -> Xbone/PS4. Microsoft wants their cut. People buying plat on xbox gives them that cut, people buying plat elsewhere does not. The same applies to Sony. Neither console manufacturer puts F2P games on their platform out of the goodness of their hearts. They're corporations, it's all about the dosh.

For example...?

You might be assuming that Microsoft, or Sony, is willing to host a F2P game based on the promise of a cut of the in game purchases.

That may be true, but I doubt it.

How much do you think a popular P2P title pays Microsoft to publish on the Xbox.

According to IGN.com fees vary from $3 to $10 per unit.(http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/06/the-economics-of-game-publishing)

How does that compare?

According to DogManDan, "in truth the majority of the playerbase is actually free players".

If I believed that it doesn't seem Microsoft would make very much money unless there were more ways for them to get paid.

Examples?

I'm sure Microsoft has hundreds of ideas how to get money from gamers, I'm glad it's not my job, I'm pelted with half a dozen just turning on the xbox.

Do you disagree that they could find a way to get their cut and give me the ability to buy in game currency any where I choose.

If so that's fine.

First off; it's Microsoft/Sony saying 'nope' to simultaneous accounts or cross-platform plat/item transfers, not DE. 

Second, only PC users get the plat discounts so purchasing on PC and transferring to XBox would then require all XBox players to also make a PC account to get access to the discounts, and so on...

Third, the original thread was about a PC player making multiple PC accounts to get access to the discount more often; the reason why this is against the rules should be obvious and doesn't mean the company is 'greedy'; they don't have to offer the discount at all.

I recently started a second PC account so I could play with my friend when he's over (who doesn't have a PC). He's my xbox friend.

So... you have 2 PC accounts and the XBox one? Why not just use the first PC account? Anyway;

I think the more obvious solution to your particular issue with playing with your friend in the same physical location is that the XBox/PS should offer splitscreening of different accounts. But really, just play another game when you're in the same room and save WF for when you're connecting over the internet.