Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Doom 4 News!

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-feels-like-bruce-lee-with-a-shotgun-on-a-skateboard-says-id/

So at Quakecon, Id has detailed how the game DOOM felt like... and so far, I am so excited for it:

The focus for the entire team has been movement—the better the movement was working, they said, the better the game was shaping up. The action should be so smooth and so fast, art director Hugo Martin said, that players should "feel like Bruce Lee with a shotgun on a skateboard."

"We wanted to focus on these traditional id roots," multiplayer producer Brad Bramlett said. When the game is fast and fluid, "it's exactly what we wanted it to be, so there's no better feeling than that."

The core loop of gameplay is known by id as "push-forward combat," so anything that makes players slow down and pause is immediately removed. This ethos also led to abandoning regenerative health. "Not having regnerative health isn't a random choice, it stems from movement,"

The final release is Spring 2016.

From what I can tell, it'll be less like DOOM 3 and more like the original DOOM games, which I'm all for. 

I'm more excited for the new Doom than I am for Fallout 4. Really looking forward to it!

I'm mixed on F4. I need to play it for myself before getting hyped any further.

As for DOOM, I'm quite excited. It seems they are going on the right track.

I'm mixed on F4. I need to play it for myself before getting hyped any further.

As for DOOM, I'm quite excited. It seems they are going on the right track.

I just feel Fallout 4 looks too cartoonish, like they did with the latest Bioshock. Really not a fan of that. I wanted it realistic looking. That's a huge downside for me personally.

I just feel Fallout 4 looks too cartoonish, like they did with the latest Bioshock. Really not a fan of that. I wanted it realistic looking. That's a huge downside for me personally.

The looks aren't much of a big deal to me, it's the gunplay that really matters. Because if it's as stiff and boring as almost every single Bethesda game to date, then I'm probably not going to enjoy it that much and further cement my dislike for Bethesda.

I can definitely relate to your taste. Making something scary/atmospheric and then slapping on a cartoonish look just breaks the feeling of seriousness.

Ps. look at all that founder glory in this thread.

Edited by kiteohatto

Doom 4 sounds like it should be great, I like the idea of them making it so the player is forced to push forward. Would make sense if your fighting through an army of demons eh? "I think I'll stop and and have a picnic!"

I want to BFG a Hell Knight again, been too long.

Actually, you guys got never into optical FO3/FONV modding. You do know that you can add real shadow shadering with the current existent ENBs for FONV? Right? Making it look more realistic, with 4kx4k textures of everything related ingame?
Bethesda confirmed that the graphical aspect of FO4 won't be that ulta high end shader rendered stuff like crysis or unreal games, but hey, that means I can use any freaking high-end quality ENB once again and textures as well (and high quality polygon mesh updates, too).

This is how it looks as usual:

Na7QIwT.jpg

and this, how it looks like if you are doing it right (notice the shadows as well):

m85KvEN.jpg

and some addition:

GlnpoE4.jpg

And yeah, doom was pretty nice back then, I still playing the classics like doom, heretic, heretic 2 and hexen, and I would like to see another series lf heretic, tbh. That was a lot of fun.

Edited by Pacheon

Doom 4 sounds like it should be great, I like the idea of them making it so the player is forced to push forward. Would make sense if your fighting through an army of demons eh? "I think I'll stop and and have a picnic!"

"Ah damn, the screen is red. Imma sit down here and w8 for my health to regen c:"

*And then a Revenant comes up behind him and rockets him into giblets*

"Ah damn, the screen is red. Imma sit down here and w8 for my health to regen c:"

*And then a Revenant comes up behind him and rockets him into giblets*

*Comes up behind the revenant with double barreled shotgun* Souprice! *shoots once and executes fatality on revenant*

As long as there are those 2 second executions the game will be slow and have ton of invincibility frames. Just from that gameplay reveal trailer that happened not too long ago all they did was melee executions.

Edited by Ognj

k

To me it looked Serious Sam 3 in Doom coat

Hum serious sam is actully a doom in his outfit. Doom was always suppose to be fast and hectic but it change when doom3 happend. I do love doom3 but the original are IMO far better and way more stressfull.I can't way to see what kind of nightmare await us in this one

Hum serious sam is actully a doom in his outfit. Doom was always suppose to be fast and hectic but it change when doom3 happend. I do love doom3 but the original are IMO far better and way more stressfull.I can't way to see what kind of nightmare await us in this one

Actually, speaking of Serious Sam, the developers released an expansion to their puzzle game "The Talos Principle". I gotta get my hands on that.

Yup, looking good so far!

I am hoping for more complex levels like D1 and D2.

Been playing Brutal Doom lately, and I forgot how complex the levels got, using a map and working out where to go is a lost art in gaming.

Oh, and secrets too please!

Edited by Egg_Chen

Yup, looking good so far!

I am hoping for more complex levels like D1 and D2.

Been playing Brutal Doom lately, and I forgot how complex the levels got, using a map and working out where to go is a lost art in gaming.

Same thing I felt with Bloodborne. I was lost at one point (quite early on in the game) and it took me and a friend 1 hour to figure out where to go.

Serious Sam never left it's original path, Doom did. So while Doom3 went a different direction, SS3 was still an old-school arcade shooter.

Therefore Doom4 is more like Serious Sam 3 than anything else. It was SS3 that showed, arcadey shooters are still successful.

The looks aren't much of a big deal to me, it's the gunplay that really matters. Because if it's as stiff and boring as almost every single Bethesda game to date, then I'm probably not going to enjoy it that much and further cement my dislike for Bethesda.

If I'm not mistaken, Bethesda has gotten people that worked on FPS (as well as some people from Id) to help improve the gunplay for Fallout 4. This could partially be the reason why VATS was changed into slow-motion rather than full-on stop. It's now an addition rather than a fix.

If I'm not mistaken, Bethesda has gotten people that worked on FPS (as well as some people from Id) to help improve the gunplay for Fallout 4. This could partially be the reason why VATS was changed into slow-motion rather than full-on stop. It's now an addition rather than a fix.

VATs is not my issue, it's everything outside of it. Go play F3/F:NV and you'll see what I mean. The regular gunplay is horrible, it's so stiff and basic that I honestly think Bethesda puts little to no effort in trying to make the combat satisfying.

VATs is not my issue, it's everything outside of it. Go play F3/F:NV and you'll see what I mean. The regular gunplay is horrible, it's so stiff and basic that I honestly think Bethesda puts little to no effort in trying to make the combat satisfying.

That's what I mean, but I guess I didn't explain myself very well. The gunplay in Fallout 3 and New Vegas was pretty clunky, and carrying over VATS from the previous incarnations was a way of getting around that. So, with Fallout 4, they brought on people that worked extensively on FPS (once again, people such as guys from Id) to improve the gunplay. The way VATS working now as more of a gameplay mechanic and less like a band-aid is evidence of that. The point I was trying to make is that the gunplay will likely be much more smooth and fluid, if all this information is anything to go by.

That's what I mean, but I guess I didn't explain myself very well. The gunplay in Fallout 3 and New Vegas was pretty clunky, and carrying over VATS from the previous incarnations was a way of getting around that. So, with Fallout 4, they brought on people that worked extensively on FPS (once again, people such as guys from Id) to improve the gunplay. The way VATS working now as more of a gameplay mechanic and less like a band-aid is evidence of that. The point I was trying to make is that the gunplay will likely be much more smooth and fluid, if all this information is anything to go by.

Again, that is just for VATs. So far, I haven't seen a lot that shows me "Ok, they improved the gunplay". But gunplay is something you need to feel, so talking about it like as if it was the graphics isn't really going to work.