The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not Allow An Option To Revert Back To Parkour 1.0 For Each Tenno?

JohnMorte

Although you do not feel like it's a major improvement I and I'm sure many others do. Parkour 2.0's current popular "issues" are displeasing aesthetics at most and some of the actual problems really just require tweaks here and there like wall latch camera.

You're using Parkour wrong if you think it's slower than parkour 1.0 unless you're secretly saying parkour 1.0 is copter.

"Displeasing aesthetics" is not what most people can complain about.

I can personally complain about:

-Lack of overall speed

-A significantly greater amount of keypresses to get anywhere. (Weren't we promised less carpal tunnel?)

-Tilesets are not optimized for parkour 2.0

-Parkour 2.0 was shoehorned through without attempting to at least polish up 1.0. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

-How parkour 2.0 makes taking almost all melees that aren't scindo prime meaningless. With coptering and 1.0, you had tradeoffs for taking your heavy melees that went nowhere, because copters were faster, but didn't do the heavy melee's damage. You could be either extremely fast, or a useful melee combatant. Now? LOL I AXE YOU A QUESTION

I can personally list these things off the top of my head.

I'm not really secretly saying parkour 1.0 is all about copter, but I am merely including it into my analysis.

"Displeasing aesthetics" is not what most people can complain about.

I can personally complain about:

-Lack of overall speed

-A significantly greater amount of keypresses to get anywhere. (Weren't we promised less carpal tunnel?)

-Tilesets are not optimized for parkour 2.0

-Parkour 2.0 was shoehorned through without attempting to at least polish up 1.0. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

-How parkour 2.0 makes taking almost all melees that aren't scindo prime meaningless. With coptering and 1.0, you had tradeoffs for taking your heavy melees that went nowhere, because copters were faster, but didn't do the heavy melee's damage. You could be either extremely fast, or a useful melee combatant. Now? LOL I AXE YOU A QUESTION

I can personally list these things off the top of my head.

I'm not really secretly saying parkour 1.0 is all about copter, but I am merely including it into my analysis.

-Over all speed.

Care to explain how parkour 1.0 is slower? I find this one much faster and controllable. I've never felt faster with a Frost... And Frost is the slowest frame in the game but I'm more than capable of doing the defense mission for the Natah quest and getting to the locations before the next wave starts.

Copter > parkour 2.0 > parkour 1.0

- I personally felt that they require the same amount of pressing but parkour 2.0 makes you more active.

- Tilesets will eventually be polished for parkour 2.0, just give it time.

- In what way? Parkour 1.0 sure as heck wasn't broken but neither did it function well...

- . That doesn't sound like a parkour problem but a melee/balancing problem, take it somewhere else. With parkour 2.0 everyone can happily bring their heavy melee, their daggers without being left behind. If a weapon is overpowered don't bring in different mechanics like parkour...

Also wasn't DE's goal to rework Parkour and not polish the old parkour?

Edited by izzatuw

Because it would take a crap load of code to bring back the old system and the bugs that came with it?

So the response is to instead shove a completely new system into a bunch of tilesets that aren't optimized for it?

And why would it take a crap load of code to bring back the old system? Like I said before, the animations and math for the old system are still out there, merely including the old math and animations as an option that clients could take should not be such a chore, unless the code is really poorly optimized.

So the response is to instead shove a completely new system into a bunch of tilesets that aren't optimized for it?

And why would it take a crap load of code to bring back the old system? Like I said before, the animations and math for the old system are still out there, merely including the old math and animations as an option that clients could take should not be such a chore, unless the code is really poorly optimized.

Well DE completely removed UI 1.0/ star chart code so it's likely they did the same to parkour's old moves.

-Over all speed.

Care to explain how parkour 1.0 is slower? I find this one much faster and controllable. I've never felt faster with a Frost... And Frost is the slowest frame in the game but I'm more than capable of doing the defense mission for the Natah quest and getting to the locations before the next wave starts.

Copter > parkour 2.0 > parkour 1.0

- I personally felt that they require the same amount of pressing but parkour 2.0 makes you more active.

- Tilesets will eventually be polished for parkour 2.0, just give it time.

- In what way? Parkour 1.0 sure as heck wasn't broken but neither did it function well...

- . That doesn't sound like a parkour problem but a melee/balancing problem, take it somewhere else. With parkour 2.0 everyone can happily bring their heavy melee, their daggers without being left behind. If a weapon is overpowered don't bring in different mechanics like parkour...

Also wasn't DE's goal to rework Parkour and not polish the old parkour?

-Parkour 1.0 wasn't slower, but faster. (I include coptering as part of parkour 1.0 because it was removed and can easily be called a set part of it. Also, the sprint/jump/crouch ninja-dive had a lot of forward momentum and is still faster than almost all jumps in parkour 2.0.)

-The button pressing to try and match parkour 1.0's raw speed with coptering and the ninja dive requires so much more out of you. It feels arbitrarily more complex because the old system was simple and could handle every situation with 2 steps or less.

-Sure tilesets will eventually be polished, but it would be far simpler to just polish up parkour 1.0 and make it more intuitive as well as adding a few of the ideas they used in 2.0 in the old system and just made it better. Instead, DE just gave themselves far more work, should they choose to trudge the path they are currently on. They certainly didn't need to make more work for themselves.

-DE decided to push 2.0 through without instead looking at 1.0 and asking themselves "Before we try to attempt to push through an entirely new system that all of our players might not fully enjoy, why not look at what we have right now, and see what we think everyone might appreciate if we updated?"

-But it was certainly a parkour problem. (again, coptering)

For all everyone hated coptering, it made a lot of melees useful in different ways. If a mission required me to be speedy and fast? I took my ceramic dagger. If a mission required me to do raw damage? I'd take heavier weapons. If a mission required me to have some amount of both? I had weapons for that. And for all the wonkyness that seems like, it made a lot of weapons useful in their own right and brought some sort of unusual balance to the table.

Now I have literally no reason to not take the Scindo Prime.

Well DE completely removed UI 1.0/ star chart code so it's likely they did the same to parkour's old moves.

If DE completely removed all traces of parkour 1.0 code from all of their servers, datafiles, and their own personal computers, then that seems VERY reckless to me. I don't think its reasonable to assume they erased all of that code, unless a massive oversight occurred.

-Parkour 1.0 wasn't slower, but faster. (I include coptering as part of parkour 1.0 because it was removed and can easily be called a set part of it. Also, the sprint/jump/crouch ninja-dive had a lot of forward momentum and is still faster than almost all jumps in parkour 2.0.)

-The button pressing to try and match parkour 1.0's raw speed with coptering and the ninja dive requires so much more out of you. It feels arbitrarily more complex because the old system was simple and could handle every situation with 2 steps or less.

-Sure tilesets will eventually be polished, but it would be far simpler to just polish up parkour 1.0 and make it more intuitive as well as adding a few of the ideas they used in 2.0 in the old system and just made it better. Instead, DE just gave themselves far more work, should they choose to trudge the path they are currently on. They certainly didn't need to make more work for themselves.

-DE decided to push 2.0 through without instead looking at 1.0 and asking themselves "Before we try to attempt to push through an entirely new system that all of our players might not fully enjoy, why not look at what we have right now, and see what we think everyone might appreciate if we updated?"

For all everyone hated coptering, it made a lot of melees useful in different ways. If a mission required me to be speedy and fast? I took my ceramic dagger. If a mission required me to do raw damage? I'd take heavier weapons. If a mission required me to have some amount of both? I had weapons for that. And for all the wonkyness that seems like, it made a lot of weapons useful in their own right and brought some sort of unusual balance to the table.

If DE completely removed all traces of parkour 1.0 code from all of their servers, datafiles, and their own personal computers, then that seems VERY reckless to me. I don't think its reasonable to assume they erased all of that code, unless a massive oversight occurred.

Coptering had nothing to do with parkour from a design perspective. What it did was make parkour useless in most situations.

DE started out by polishing the old system, but they realised that each element could be done better by replacing it, so they did. Watch the early P2.0 demos and you will see that they made all of the commonly requested improvements, but they were worthless on most tilesets. You can use the new system anywhere, as it is much more dynamic.

Again, coptering was not parkour. It was a bug that they kept for a while due to its popularity. Any issue with a weapon being OP is a weapon balance issue.

Afaik DE's intention was to rework parkour, not polish parkour 1.0, if you want polish, polish melee 2.0 and spy 2.0 since those don't need a total rework.

Sprint+crouch+jump

Compared to

Crouch+Jump.

Bullet jump actually just requires 2 buttons so Parkour 2.0 requires more or less the same amount of effort.

Again you're trying to polish parkour 1.0, they wanted to rework parkour.

So why don't you look at our currently new system and give more and more detailed feedback on it instead of asking for a return to the old system?

Melee is supposed to suit you, what makes you feel good. Like I like using Galatine over Dakra+Crimson combo because it just feels more suited to me. Tonkor obviously beats Braton over raw damage but I prefer Braton because I like its feel.

Unless Scindo P got nerfed it has high Damage per swing and decent DPS with Berserker crit build and isn't it considered the king of melee 2.0 atm?

Great, but what if the game was actually better before ? How are we supposed to help ?

Don't worry about that hypothetical since its purely subjective and doesn't help to argue about.

This was a massive overhaul, not just a simple ability/animation change.  Its highly unlikely that they'll revert the entire system because a few people want, specifically, the broken parts of it (a.k.a. travelling at 99.99999% the speed of light).

The system is actually fairly well designed, and does not openly clash with the tile sets. There are still many rough edges to smooth over, but it was an overall great start at a new system.

The problem is, both P 2 and 1 will have to be rendered at the same time for players on the team, and with P2P connections that would end badly. Not to mention the workaround it would take to reintroduce Parkour 1 would have to be designed to go down and up at will. Also, assuming you want coptering back, they'll have to reimplement the physics bugs that make it possible. Most importantly, what would it solve? The new system is more streamlined, more controlled than the old one, even in it's current state. Bringing back the old one because u dun liek it isn't really a good enough reason.

I had the following idea:

Wait a month. Let people get used to parkour 2.0. I happen to like it, and all the whiners seem to be people who are incapable of playing the game for more than 10 minutes at a time. In a month, give the whiners the option to revert back to parkour 1.0. They will get 1 each of the stamina mods back, they will get the stamina BS back also.

Absolutely not.

Parkour 2.0 is better as a mobility measure - it can reach more places by itself then parkour 1.0 could, by a huge margin.

If we allow people to use 1.0 instead, all maps need to be designed for the much more limited parkour 1.0 abilities. 

We should not continue to limit map design to keep around an outdated and primitive system.

Absolutely not.

Parkour 2.0 is better as a mobility measure - it can reach more places by itself then parkour 1.0 could, by a huge margin.

If we allow people to use 1.0 instead, all maps need to be designed for the much more limited parkour 1.0 abilities. 

We should not continue to limit map design to keep around an outdated and primitive system.

Maps would not need to be designed for it, I'm thinking of a switch in the options tenno could just toggle on or off in their settings.

That way, everyone would win!

Maps would not need to be designed for it, I'm thinking of a switch in the options tenno could just toggle on or off in their settings.

That way, everyone would win!

Wouldn't they?  Parkour 2.0 can easily reach places Parkour 1.0 can't.  The double jump alone means there will be geometry quite usable in Parkour 2.0 that is completely unnavigable in Parkour 1.0

Avoiding any geometry that can't be reached in Parkour 1.0 *is* designing for it.

For example, remember the Tomb of the Sentients trailer?  In that, there's a long run up a wall done by Excalibur.  That geometry can actually work in game with parkour 2.0.   Parkour 1.0 did not allow you to move from a wall run to a sideways movement to another wall run. 

Which means we could see that geometry in game - but not if we have to support parkour 1.0, since it would create impassable geometry for anyone using the old parkour.

Edited by Phatose

Seriously who are they to be satisfied with it or not, do they even play the game ? Since my first day on warframe I was mind blown by the liberty in movement, maneuvers I hadn't seen in any other TPS, the fact that wall running wasn't even messed up by irregular surfaces. So many things were good, and I also believe that we should be given choice in our maneuvers. Helping Parkour 2.0 to "evolve" into something more old school will not help at all, it's gonna take years.

Great, but what if the game was actually better before ? How are we supposed to help ?

Old "parkor" was buggy and incredibly broken nor very user friendly. It was the clunkiest and most painful system in the game that was rarely ever useful in combat (looking at you wall running)

Opinions aside, 2.0 has its flaws and issues, yes, but those can fixed and improved upon. 

It makes zero sense to revert back to the original parkor when 2.0 does so many things better, regardless of its short comings.

You know what makes more sense? suggesting and offering opinions on how to improve 2.0.

Perhaps those ideas will be ones that reflect what you liked about 1.0, but still mesh with the positives of 2.0?

Makes more sense to combine the positive aspects of both rather then just throw 2.0 out the window.

Not to mention thats not gonna happen. You honestly think DE would go backwards by enabling 1.0 (which brings back coptering, so everyone would be back to just coptering everywhere) after all the hype and time invested in 2.0?

Good luck. Marketing would kill them and so would PR.

No, Parkour 1.0 was a broken system. There was no parkour to begin with because most movements were useless when you can copter across a cell or use directional air melee to gain height. These aspects, while having some sentimental charm, were broken and frankly made no sense. There was nothing they could have done to polish it without breaking those aspects which would leave many jimmies rustled across the land. The only option was to replace it. You can't claim "if it's not broke, don't fix it" because it was broken and led to a monotonous gameplay (granted the same will happen to parkour 2.0 eventually as people refine their movements). You can only patch and maintain an outdate structure for so long. Eventually it needs to be replaced. I wish more people (like politicians, but that is a different story) understood this.

As for "why can't they put an option?", it's simple: the two systems are incompatible because they are so different. 1.0 is about simple horizontal velocity, 2.0 is about balanced vertical and horizontal mobility. Sure, 2.0 was designed to function well on 1.0 maps, but DE can't move on and make "true 2.0 maps" without dropping parkour 1.0. This map issue is not as simple as "well design maps that function for both", that pigeonholes map ideas to ones that are just "tolerable". There are most likely numerous other incompatibilities, many of which are about "feel", that I can't list due to time.

Parkour 2.0 was not a shoehorned movement ideology that was just as good as parkour 1.0. 2.0 was the replacement of a broken system rendered useless by a long standing bug and by swinging a melee around.

Old "parkor" was buggy and incredibly broken nor very user friendly. It was the clunkiest and most painful system in the game that was rarely ever useful in combat (looking at you wall running)

Opinions aside, 2.0 has its flaws and issues, yes, but those can fixed and improved upon.

It makes zero sense to revert back to the original parkor when 2.0 does so many things better, regardless of its short comings.

You know what makes more sense? suggesting and offering opinions on how to improve 2.0.

Perhaps those ideas will be ones that reflect what you liked about 1.0, but still mesh with the positives of 2.0?

Makes more sense to combine the positive aspects of both rather then just throw 2.0 out the window.

Not to mention thats not gonna happen. You honestly think DE would go backwards by enabling 1.0 (which brings back coptering, so everyone would be back to just coptering everywhere) after all the hype and time invested in 2.0?

^

Unless they wanna go like MC and have optional older versions.

Let's be honest, wall running and gunning wasn't very practical and people used it for the fun factor, nothing else.

How would that even work from a developer's standpoint? To have both parkour 1.0 and 2.0 in the game at the same time would tax the hell out of the system and create a very weird divide if people were in a match, using both.

I understand not liking the new system but to be able to choose which parkour you wanted to use sounds ludicrous, imo.

To be blunt, coptering does has its small charm with the ease of access of ludicrous speeds (note: I am enjoying Parkour 2.0 despite that, just in case anyone uses the reply and accuses me of not willing to adapt.). 

Anyways, there are a few minor things from the old system that the new system should not have thrown away, such as throwing away the ability to crouch down while holding down any direction key(s). 

I take it you've brought that concern of yours to DE in the proper section then, since you sound like someone with some sense.

Allright, let me explain then.

Parkour 2.0 is not that horrible as people claim howeever there are some issues with it from my experience.

First thing first the infamous coptering vs new bullet jump, i for one don't really care about removal of coptering howeever i feel like for something that i will use the most i still have to use 2-3 buttons, i don't know what bullet jump exactly improved upon, seems same old to me.

The wall jumping, i feel the controls are bit off and wonky, it lacks precision, another that sometimes it won't initiate after bulletjump.

Sticking on the wall, there are still couple of wall types where it won't work.

In conclusion, the direction is good but it still needs major improvements, that said i still enjoy it.

Only thing I've noticed since the update that sorta breaks the whole 'ninja' thing to me is the lack of larger maps, and some of the maps not being wall-run/hop friendly. For example, some walls (I use the word wall loosely here since you can run up nearly everything) have very small places where it has a 'hump' or the model has a small object on it that I would think a Tenno could run/hop over, but instead you get stuck below it in an infinite wall-hop unless you change direction or jump somewhere else to get to where you were going.

I'm not complaining about it though since all of these maps were built around the old system and will need to be revisted/replaced.

Wouldn't they?  Parkour 2.0 can easily reach places Parkour 1.0 can't.  The double jump alone means there will be geometry quite usable in Parkour 2.0 that is completely unnavigable in Parkour 1.0

Avoiding any geometry that can't be reached in Parkour 1.0 *is* designing for it.

For example, remember the Tomb of the Sentients trailer?  In that, there's a long run up a wall done by Excalibur.  That geometry can actually work in game with parkour 2.0.   Parkour 1.0 did not allow you to move from a wall run to a sideways movement to another wall run. 

Which means we could see that geometry in game - but not if we have to support parkour 1.0, since it would create impassable geometry for anyone using the old parkour.

But that's the beauty of my suggestion, allowing both parkour sets to be interchanged by the tenno whenever they want! You find a room you think you need the new parkour, toggle a switch in the options and you're good to go! Find a room you'd prefer to use old parkour! Switch again!

I didn't say throw 2.0 out the window. I never said that, and I never will. There are a lot of aspects I like about 2.0. But it lacks some good aspects from 1.0, including mechanical reliability and raw speed.

Also, if everyone would just be using coptering again if coptering were restored, doesn't that say something to you? Perhaps how it was such an excellent method of movement? I can certainly say without a doubt that coptering was a fun and strong aspect of the old parkour, and if it were polished a bit I think it should make a grand return.

I would definitely use 1.0 if the tenno were allowed to switch between 1.0 and 2.0. I would also definitely use 2.0 and be very happy if it brought back coptering and the mechanical reliability that 1.0 offered.

Let's be honest, wall running and gunning wasn't very practical and people used it for the fun factor, nothing else.

Once I was in a dojo duel with a rhino. Swerved his stomp with a vertical wallrun, backflip, then finished him with kogake (yes it was orgasmic)

In another duel against nova, the guy pulled out his fourth while I was running on the walls sideways. It gave me just enough time to shoot him as he recovered from his tech. Luckily I was able to "wallshoot", but yeah that was the old warframe ... Of course I initially used it for fun, but with a little practise and an automatic rifle it was easy as diveshooting, and sometimes pretty useful.

I am sure it's possible for them to bring us back moves to choose from. Wallruns to begin with. If you choose wallrunning, you go up faster but you are limited in the max height you can reach, as opposed to wallhopping. As long as no move shows any verified advantage, I don't see how it's a problem, even for pvp. As long as we respect a certain balance in efficiency between each maneuver, things should be ok.

Diveshooting vs air glide ? Ok shooting in mid air was maybe harder before. But what if we don't like playing easy ? Why would you refuse the players the right to use a a move that will surely not give them the upper hand but at least make their game more fun ? I mean the animation was smooth, rolls could be performed on landing, and it felt MUCH more realistic.

The camera movement should be optional on slides too (really that gave me cancer)

I am sure this is possible from a developpers point of view, I mean it would be like a stance. The tiles remain the same, there's nothing to do on the frames or weapons or whatsoever. They just need to be careful not to give overwhelming advantage to some moves, except they've tweaked with so much stuff now, wallruns would need limitations now that there's no more stamina...

And for god's sake, who wants to re-press sprint after every slide. Sliding (WITHOUT coptering) was already quite fast (very fast with sprint/maglev combo), but apparently they prefer to have us jump everywhere. Legit. All they had to do in order to kill coptering was to force you to re-press all the keys after a slide attack, not after a simple slide !

Still, there's like what, 100 people complaining down here, nothing is gonna change, certainly not soon, and certainly not that much. As I was here for the game's mechanics, I guess I'll just come back in a couple months see if anything changed ... f*** it

Oh and if they ever make an older offline version, I'm definetely paying for it.

But that's the beauty of my suggestion, allowing both parkour sets to be interchanged by the tenno whenever they want! You find a room you think you need the new parkour, toggle a switch in the options and you're good to go! Find a room you'd prefer to use old parkour! Switch again!

I didn't say throw 2.0 out the window. I never said that, and I never will. There are a lot of aspects I like about 2.0. But it lacks some good aspects from 1.0, including mechanical reliability and raw speed.

Also, if everyone would just be using coptering again if coptering were restored, doesn't that say something to you? Perhaps how it was such an excellent method of movement? I can certainly say without a doubt that coptering was a fun and strong aspect of the old parkour, and if it were polished a bit I think it should make a grand return.

I would definitely use 1.0 if the tenno were allowed to switch between 1.0 and 2.0. I would also definitely use 2.0 and be very happy if it brought back coptering and the mechanical reliability that 1.0 offered.

So we can't just try to return those good aspects of Parkour 1.0 into Parkour 2.0 but more refined? It seems redundant to keep parkour 1.0 if parkour 2.0 is still definitely getting improvements...

Switching would not only create so much conflict and be next to impossible but it would also be tedious as hek.

Like I said, merge the positive aspects of both together, rather then some cumbersome and illogical option to revert back.

It simply does not work for a development standpoint and creates to many conflicts.

Actually no, it tells me that people would rather cheese levels then play the game. I had no issue with coptering except when it was abused and I don't consider it a part of parkour. It was a fun physics bug and nothing more. If it was enabled again then we would be back to square one. The whole reason 2.0 exists is so all movement is viable in most situations/tile-sets and people wont only take coptering weapons. 

Most players weren't even using parkour 1.0. They were literally just coptering everywhere.

At least now parkour is way more viable for combat and not just reaching "treasure" rooms.

That aside, my main point that addressing your concern is for DE to take the good aspects of both systems and squish them together.

Although, about the only thing I miss about 1.0 is the cool front flip trick. But that was actually useful in combat and didn't look silly.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

So we can't just try to return those good aspects of Parkour 1.0 into Parkour 2.0 but more refined? It seems redundant to keep parkour 1.0 if parkour 2.0 is still definitely getting improvements...

My sentiments exactly.

Take the good aspects of 1.0 and adjust them to make them fit with 2.0.

Win-win more or less.

My sentiments exactly.

Take the good aspects of 1.0 and adjust them to make them fit with 2.0.

Win-win more or less.

Well, that's honestly my suggestion (plus coptering, I enjoyed coptering).

My suggestion is as follows:

Merge 1.0 strengths with coptering into 2.0

failing that

Offer an option for 1.0 or 2.0 toggle