The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excal Nerf

Ashnal

So I've noticed no one has mentioned the indirect Excal nerf that took place with U17.

Excal relies on the auto-block mechanic of Exalted Blade to survive for longer void missions. With the nerf of blocking to only be percentage damage reduction Excal now takes a LOT more damage than before while using Exalted Blade, due to damage bleeding through his auto-block.

To be honest I never saw blocking as that OP, since it only stopped damage from the front and was rendered useless by the stamina cost later in endless missions. Even when using Exalted Blade Excal could easily be downed by AoE damage or enemies flanking him, which happens all the time in this game as you tend to get enemy spawns from all directions.

I think that block should be increased from it's current not so useful damage reduction percentage (feels like 50%) to something around 90%-95%. You can achieve this with Mesa's shatter shield to kind of get a feel for how much damage reduction that is. I feel from a lot of time with Mesa that that amount of damage reduction is enough to last into late void missions while still allowing some damage through. I don't think it would be OP at all since blocking forever isn't going to get the mission done any faster even if you could technically do it. You're also still vulnerable from the sides and back, and AoE. This would of course be for all melee weapons AND Exalted Blade.

I think that this needs changing, but for blocking in general and not just Excal. Simple solution:

- All weapons should have a ~80% damage reduction when blocking, with specific weapons having higher reductions (e.g. Sword&boards). This should be improvable with mods, with sword&boards being able to reach 100%.

(For a more complex but more effective solution, weapons should have much higher reduction when blocks are well-timed. For example, hitting RMB right before a cleaver or Nullifier round hits you will result in a 100% damage reduction; however, turtling behind the RMB for extended periods of time will reduce the effectiveness of a block while it's held. Down to a floor of 80% or so, ideally, so you can still charge into bullet storms and come out alive.)

- The energy drain when channeling needs to go. I don't care if this means that damage reflection is gone as well; that has always been attached to mods and should stay that way.

Edited by SortaRandom

There have been a few threads before this one about it but the main problem is the actual blocking

Blocking it should block 100 percent not matter if your channeling or not.

It should not be damage reduction

For Excalibur it's a bad NERF/bug as it makes his survivability for that skill even worse especially with the mini blind that now is bad due to no slide spins.

Channeling while blocking eats energy like mad. Melee is terrible with a terrible blocking feature.

In high levels damage reduction means less and less especially in huge groups.

The need to revert the change but keep stamina out of the picture

It's not that bad actually.

Step 1: Bring Life Strike and Covert Lethality.

Step 2: Blind

Step 3: Activate Chanelling and hit

????????

Infinite Health

tbh Covert Lethality is an indirect buff to excal

I don't need that buff tnx you very much, excal pretty much kill anything with blind+Eb anyways, if you don't-mod it right. Gimme back my front damage immune

????????

Infinite Health

That is a gimmik.If a exi or nuli pops up its gona get ugly.Nerfing the auto block was uncalled for as it is an ultimate and should differ from standart blocking.

Protip: Use blind.

Thanks Captain Obvious. As usual, the first reply is less than 10 words and isn't relevant to the issue at hand. Thanks for continuing the tradition /sarcasm.

Of course you can always perma blind stuff when you're playing Excal. But I was also trying to tie this into ALL blocking for all frames. a segue into saying blocking in general now sucks if you will. Blocking in general sucks now, and as a result Excal's recently reworked skill set took a hit. I personally don't like spamming blind every waking second, and I liked it the way it was before where you could survive by using smart positioning even without blinding everything.

Edited by Ashnal

I still think Excalibur is extremely powerful Warframe. In fact I think he is one of the best ones out there, not too good but good. What I suggest is to mod Excalibur to counter this decreased durability by various ways. There is now a new slot for utility, that counts for some so if you had some of those utility mods, this opens up a whole new slot for a mod, and here, you can pick armor for example to bring durability, or other durability mods to counter the slight nerf. How about blocking mods that allow you to block and deflect damage and even reflect damage back at your enemies? There are many viable options now. I do not think this change is significant enough to get up and arms about it.

I feel a little mixed about the parry change. On the one hand, you take more damage, on the other hand, it fuels more Energy via Rage for channeling. Before you could get energy starved unless you turned your back to an enemy to convert some damage into energy, now you'll get a steady low stream to fuel channeling. 

????????

Infinite Health

I don't get all this "omg covert lethality so strong on excal!" craze. All blind enemies get oneshotted just fine without it.

The only time I can see myself using this is during Regor farms, so I can oneshot those pesky manics. Other than that, no thank you.

EDIT:

Scratch the above; CL has +100% final damage on it as well. So the weapon literally deals exactly 2x the damage that it does without CL.

That's freaking huge, whether the enemies are blind or not.

Edited by SortaRandom

I don't get all this "omg covert lethality so strong on excal!" craze. All blind enemies get oneshotted just fine without it.

The only time I can see myself using this is during Regor farms, so I can oneshot those pesky manics. Other than that, no thank you.

And the bonus damage.

And the bonus damage.

Oh. Oh god. I did not notice that extra +100% final damage on that mod.

Thank you for letting me know about this, and brb leveling my sheev.

Edited by SortaRandom

Oh. Oh god. I did not notice that extra +100% base damage on that mod.

Thank you for letting me know about this, and brb leveling my sheev.

it's not 100% base damage. It's 100% extra damage which translate to 200% base damage.

And Karyst is a better dagger tbh

????????

Infinite Health

good lord......now i want that mod lol

• Covert Lethality affects Exalted Blade, increasing the lethality of both the blade and energy waves upon killing unaware enemies.
  • Hitting an enemy under the effects of Radial Blind and Rest will count as stealth kills, benefiting from this mod.
  • The "Extra Damage" bonus provided by this mod increases from the total damage of the weapon, including any elemental and physical damage mods installed.
    On topic
    Something REALLY needs to be done about the energy loss during channeling...either get rid of it or make it a 1 energy loss per second while channeling...that way we will still have energy for our abilities and not get our butts kicked while getting swarmed.

I'll be fine with this though, if Excalibur is going to get an indirect nerf but also an indirect buff at the same time, it sort of balances out (more squishy but more powerful)

But if they're going to remove Exalted Blade's ability to trigger covert lethality then at least they should revert his blocking. If not it'll be just a straight up nerf to Excalibur for no reason, because Exalted Blade could block even without stamina.

So I've noticed no one has mentioned the indirect Excal nerf that took place with U17.

Excal relies on the auto-block mechanic of Exalted Blade to survive for longer void missions.

No he doesn't. All I need in long void missions is a Radial Blind with good range and a Radial Javelin with maxed power strength mods. #OLDSCHOOL

No he doesn't. All I need in long void missions is a Radial Blind with good range and a Radial Javelin with maxed power strength mods. #OLDSCHOOL

A majority of my deaths come from being one-shotted by nullifiers, which I can't blind, the blocking mechanic is the only thing that has saved me more times than I could count