Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Equinox-Mend Is Missing Something.

Darkmoone1

So after having a good amount of hours into Equinox so far, I have to say I really enjoy playing the frame so far. However there is one ability that has been bothering me since I starting playing the frame when the update came out. It was Mend, but I couldn't really say what was bothering me about it so I kept silent until now. 

When you cast Maim initially, there is an effect that every enemy within range is dealt damage in the form of a bleed status. After you rack up enough points, you release Maim onto your enemies in a large effective damage burst, decimating them. 

When you cast Mend initially, nothing happens. After you rack up enough points, you release Mend onto your temmates in the form of a large effective heal, potentially saving them from death. 

What's the problem with this picture? Well, you've probably realized by now upon reading, but Mend doesn't have an initial effect like Maim. I'm not sure if that's how it is supposed to be designed, but I assumed that all abilities would mirror each other like Rest/Rage, and Pacify/Provoke. 

I would like anyone who finds this topic and agrees with me that there should be an initial effect to mirror Maim, to post their own suggestions here because this aspect of Equinox is nagging me to the point where I feel like the frame is incomplete and missing something. As for my suggestion:

*When Equinox initially casts Mend, any allies within range will receive bursts of health(Values can be changed around for what DE wants or feel is balanced.). 

v Other suggestions that I find to be favorable to Equinox will be placed down in the spoiler v

This is a suggestion that I thought was better than my initial one: 

I think it should do something kind of like Maim while it channels or it won't be fair. 

Hell, Night is supposed to be the more survivable form, but Day has better CC with his ult. 

I suggest a puncture proc instead of a slash proc, because a puncture proc reduces the amount of damage enemies do. That would make perfect sense for night form and her damage reduction abilities. 

Then, so the hugely charged heal doesn't feel so useless outside of defense objectives, let her overheal the squad to a small extent. That would be cool. 

Edited by Darkmoone1

I would rather have it a Rejuvenation kinda like effect since releasing it already provides a burst heal.

Oh and is it just me cuz I'm having a trouble noticing if the 3rd skill is in effect or not, it's hard to base it on energy drain if used in conjunction with 4th, the icon glow seems pretty hard to notice as well.

Edited by Oranji

I think it should do something kind of like Maim while it channels or it won't be fair. 

Hell, Night is supposed to be the more survivable form, but Day has better CC with his ult. 

I suggest a puncture proc instead of a slash proc, because a puncture proc reduces the amount of damage enemies do. That would make perfect sense for night form and her damage reduction abilities. 

Then, so the hugely charged heal doesn't feel so useless outside of defense objectives, let her overheal the squad to a small extent. That would be cool. 

That is an excellent idea as it also has synergy with Pacify as well as keeping with the theme of the night forms defensive nature! Thank you for your input.

Thats a great idea as long as the puncture proc last whenever an enemy is inside mend radius and not like a regular puncture proc who last only 6 seconds, it also makes sense with the frame abilities and is easy for the devs to do it.

The puncture proc has too many similarities to pacify. Currently the rejuvenation effect is all I can think of that sounds reasonable. I thought about maybe adding an ability like Oberon where killed enemies in the radius have a chance to drop health orbs (it's synergize with the passive), however it doesn't fix the initial cast issue that the OP mentioned :/

How about this for Mend:

* While channeled, all allies in range either get lifesteal (very small, like 0,05 - 0,2% of damage done) or health-on-kill (each enemy killed restores X% of max health)

* When released, all allies in range get healed by the damage stored during the channel. Any overhealing done creates a "shadow cloak" on allies, which works like an outer health barrier (similar to Iron Skin, taking damage first before both shields and health, just without the anti-CC stuff), which has a max duration of maybe 15-ish seconds or so.

This makes her ultimate a very team-tanky skill, but only if you are killing stuff in range. Furthermore, since the channeled effect grants lifesteal, that makes it more likely that the released effect will do overhealing, thus more likely to get the shadow cloak!

Edited by Azamagon

The puncture proc has too many similarities to pacify. Currently the rejuvenation effect is all I can think of that sounds reasonable. I thought about maybe adding an ability like Oberon where killed enemies in the radius have a chance to drop health orbs (it's synergize with the passive), however it doesn't fix the initial cast issue that the OP mentioned :/

In defense of my idea, I don't see how it being similar to Pacify is a problem. Most warframe powers are similar to each other in the same warframe. For instance Volt has multiple abilities that stun targets and an augment that helps him with that too. 

I think that fact it's similar in some ways to Pacify is a good thing, because it fits thematically. Besides, it's not like it would be super op. 

The damage reduction would only last as long as the proc does, and you would get a brief stun like with day form ult. 

I personally don't like a rejuvenation effect because I feel like it defeats the whole purpose of having a health bomb anyway. I'd really prefer to see us overhealed similar to overshields Volt can give squad with capacitance mod. That would make a giant health bomb worth it. And if the overheal (unlike overshields) drained over time, it would give Equinox good reason to constantly be filling up her ult so she can keep overhealing the squad. \

I'd be happier if it had a similar cap to overshields and did not drain over time, but if making the extra health slowly drain was required to make it balanced I'd be fine with that. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I feel that flipping the 5/s energy drain into a 1/s energy regen aura (scaling off Power) is a simple adjustment that addresses most concerns people have with Night form while also encouraging form switching to balance her energy. Players will be rewarded rather than punished for charging up Mend heals. The regen will help her sustain Pacify and use Rest more frequently. A good majority of players are staying in Day form for its superior crowd control and damage. This change will reward swapping to Night for energy regen and healing, then they'll likely cast Rest/Pacify since they're in the form already.

Edited by Mac2492

From other thread

Mend & Maim
Mend:
- Vampyric like effect on enemies in range of Mend - allies and you get healed on 5/10/15/20% of killing damage (only last hit counts).
- On deactivation make distributed burst heal of allies and create their shadow clones (like Saryn's Mold) with health = overheal. Shadow make their original invisible in 3m radius from it.

Reasoning: First - Mend lack effect on duration unlike Maim. Second - burst heal seems lackluster and all that overheal is wasted, in my opinion 4th ability of support frame should be useful in "oh crap" situations. Creating decoys will apply that overheal without making ability OP, invisibility part is something to outline Night aspect of power and will boost team survivability without making invincible (explosions, stray bullets, auras and so on still effect allies and its not unlikely to be touched as shadows are static and invisibility range is tiny).

Also one important thing to make both form viable - make ultimate toggle and counter value transferable through Metamorphosis (e.g. if you have Maim active with 5k at counter before Metamorphosis then you will have Mend active with 5k at counter after transfer).

This open up some interestig combos:
- run in Day Form with Maim, damaging and staggering everything - teammates in tough spot / reviving / under toxic DoT -> switch to Night Form - burst heal and create doubles to distract enemies.
- run in NF with Mend - cast Rest on enemy, boost your Mend counter by crazy damage finisher -> switch to DF - burst Maim with stored counter.
- run in DF for damage and CC -> switch to NF for Metamorphosis buff and heal up a bit by vampyric effect -> switch again for DF buff, continue damage and CC -> repeat without bursting ability.

• 1 month later...

As someone mentioned before i do believe Mend should work like Rejuvenation but in a slightly different way than mentioned

Everything i will describe must occur within range of the ability both for allies and enemies:

When casting Mend, allies get a percentage of health restored instantly according to the amount of enemies inside the radius and enemies getting temporarily staggered (no damage inflicted to them, this could work as a way of giving some "breathing space" when things get cramped up).

As the ability remains active, allies get healed over time according to the enemies that are killed within the ability's radius.

Now as for the numbers, not sure. They can´t be too high for obvious reasons

I know Mend is getting reworked to allow shield restore and im not sure how they are going to work that in, since shields might end up recharging before you have time to do the whole Switch-Cast-Store kills-Toggle