Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Someone Explain Why Cold Elemental Mods Are A D Polarity.

ZzzZack

it always ends up messing with my builds, either i need to forma it out, or just not use the cold damage at all, especially with a crit build weapon like the vectis. I always end up having to use the status chance mod for the cold but it doesnt seem to be enough. Maybe im doing it wrong? i dont know. I just hope it would be a - instead.

The real question is. Why do we need redundant polarities? Rather than allocate many other mods to the cancerous D wouldn't it be easier to allocate those mods to the other types like V and --

No, it´s for diversity. Reducing the polarities to only 2? Next we reduce them to only 1?

The D for weapons was bad as long as the ice mods only granted 60%, but now with 90% they are worth it.

Well, I guess DE wanted more diversity among mods. They even increased cost of cold damage mods from 9 to 11, to make it equal to other elemental mods (my Telos AkBolto has -1 available points since then). DE doesn't like buffing or balancing stuff, they prefer nerfing what seems too strong and when enough ppl whine about it (Saryn's powers still work against each other, with her ulti being stronger with shorter duration).

Besides, DE prefers new stuff and stay in BETA forever, rather than focus on fixing and polishing existing stuff. So for now, enjoy your annoying D polarity cold mods. :)

I find it really weird that there are so few mods with a D polarity? Weapons with D polarities wouldn't need to be forma'd to get rid of it, i we had some good mods with that polarity. We have loads of V and - mods, but very few D ones. Never understood it, but if someone has an explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Yep. This annoys everyone.

Honestly, a few changes is all it would've taken to make this right.

Then we'd have something like this: [NOTE: NM/Event/Derelict mods not included]

Note 2: Mods that moved from one polarity to another are emboldened

___

V

- Critical Chance/Damage

- Base Damage

- Fire Rate

- Multi-Shot

--

- Ammo/Mag Capacity

- Reload Speed

- Silencers

- Recoil

D

- Elemental Mods (Fire, Ice, Toxic, Electricity)

- Status Chance/Duration

- I/P/S Modifiers

- Punch Through

Is it the best idea? No.

But it evens out the field a little bit more. (currently V has 5 mod types, -- has 7, and D has 2.)

Now you have more than a single reason to polarize for D.

Although, many would be against such an idea, since they don't want to re-forma.

Edited by MagnusFury

If we could move polarities around without a prior forma installed, it wouldn't be much of a problem. But weapons like the Kulstar with a D installed in the #1 mod slot ruins some of my elemental combos.

I think the problem is that DE tried to create a unified system in the mod logic that covers both weapons and frames equally.

Y mods are about direct offense, on both weapons and frames more damage, more effect.

- mods are usually about boosting other statistics or improving functionality and efficiency.

D mods, I have noted, are about defense and support. On frames, all mods that improve health, shields, armor and other life-saving functions are of the D polarity.

I think why cold is in D is because of it's proc, it slows enemies down, in essence an element based crowd control option. A defensive measure that, at the time, might of thought more important then the damage component, thus given a D polarity. You'll also notice that ALL purely Status Chance mods are of a D polarity. Meaning they were meant to provide a support option on top of or even primarily based on elemental status effects.

That is where the problem might be. Some functions simply do not cover over well with weapons and frames. You want your guns to kill, not to set an enemy up to be killed by an another gun. Other then a few outlier weapons that do seem to be designed around their elemental procs, people prefer those elements that make it easier for the gun itself to kill the target, not be a tool to set up the kills for other guns.

So carrying some weapon mods over to D polarity to even the field would be nice. But I think it is very unlikely as there would be a MASSIVE backlash from veterans who have used formas special for a specific setup and that setup is broken because one or two mods that were essential are now of the wrong polarity. Needing a lot more forma to fix all their builds.

Edited by Lakais

I think why cold is in D is because of it's proc

Which is exactly how I used to think too, until Archwing was released. The devs saw an opportunity to test out a new way to balance the mods. Toxic is now D as well, and Fire/Electric are V's.

I think their design-mindset is evolving to something a little different than simply "D is for Defense". Once we see the Tenno clans fleshed out, it'll probably make more sense.

i feel as if we either need more mods that use the D polarity so that it would make it worth changing the polarity to a D. Cold alone just isnt worth it

I find it really weird that there are so few mods with a D polarity? Weapons with D polarities wouldn't need to be forma'd to get rid of it

> Whining about D polarity

> Cold not worth it

> Forma'ing D out of weapons

It's almost like Viral and Corrosive + Cold are just a silly myth or something. Huh.

This thread is special.

> Whining about D polarity

> Cold not worth it

> Forma'ing D out of weapons

It's almost like Viral and Corrosive + Cold are just a silly myth or something. Huh.

This thread is special.

I'm not whining, nor do I forma out that slot. I'm fairly new to the game, and it just seemed to me that's what most people do. I apologise if I got that wrong, but I see a lot of people complain in videos/chat etc when a weapon has a D polarity.

Cold being a D polarity is a remnant of damage 1.0 where it was not a damaging a mod, but a defensive one, applying nothing more than a slow. When Damage 2.0 was released, it was never updated into the new category

It used to be because cold procs were more of a defensive element back in the day when you could freeze, set someone on fire and shocking an enemy and the D polarity is meant for defensive mods.

Basically this.