The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De - Time To Re-Work The Way Affinity Is Gained

----Fenrir----

I think the leecher u said refers to some supportive roles in squad. Some teammates may not be able to deal dmg as much as the carry can in the same squad. For instance dmg buffer (Oberon, Mirage), CC(Nova, Nyx) and rare mods and resource markers etc. 

If u dont want to be the carry in squad, why dont u simply switch to those supportive frames and configurations in public match making.

And btw i think the current XP system is good, players have choices whether they want to be dmg carry or buffer.

It just seems like the leechers get more because it's evenly divided between their weapons, while the player gets it all to his frame and weapon he was using.

But that is the problem, that affinity usually goes to warframes and abilities that are already max rank. Because with an unranked weapon or warframe you can hardly kill anything.

If you kill using your single weapon, your weapon gains 75% of affinity. If you leech off your teammates, your weapon gains 75% of affinity (or is it 50%?). So may as well kill using your weapon right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure, and that unranked weapon you just used your second forma on is always so great at killing stuff...

if your trying to level a weapon use it as much as possible, leeching from a teammate and using powers doesnt give you full affinity bonus.

But like I wrote before, unranked weapons are usually useless so you end up leeching no matter if you actually try to use them or not. Because hitting level 40 enemies for like 10 damage is not really accomplishing much.

I think the leecher u said refers to some supportive roles in squad

Nope, yesterday for example I had a Loki on Draco in my team. He spent the whole time (4 rounds) just jumping and running around while being invisible. And on the post match stats he had ZERO DAMAGE AND ZERO KILLS.

He wasn't supporting, he was just leeching. And I can't even blame him, because he simply used the most efficient way to gain affinity to level his stuff. Which atm is not killing stuff and instead let your teammates do all the work and just leech.

Edited by ----Fenrir----

If you kill using your single weapon, your weapon gains 75% of affinity. If you leech off your teammates, your weapon gains 75% of affinity (or is it 50%?). So may as well kill using your weapon right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're using a single weapon to kill , it would be 50/50 (50 to that gun and 50 to the warframe). Now with the same set up if a teammate kills something it would be 75/25 (75% to the weapon and 25% to the warframe).

But that is the problem, that affinity usually goes to warframes and abilities that are already max rank. Because with an unranked weapon or warframe you can hardly kill anything.

Sure, and that unranked weapon you just used your second forma on is always so great at killing stuff...

But like I wrote before, unranked weapons are usually useless so you end up leeching no matter if you actually try to use them or not. Because hitting level 40 enemies for like 10 damage is not really accomplishing much.

Nope, yesterday for example I had a Loki on Draco in my team. He spent the whole time (4 rounds) just jumping and running around while being invisible. And on the post match stats he had ZERO DAMAGE AND ZERO KILLS.

He wasn't supporting, he was just leeching. And I can't even blame him, because he simply used the most efficient way to gain affinity to level his stuff. Which atm is not killing stuff and instead let your teammates do all the work and just leech.

I dunno, if you have unranked gear you could... go to low ranked missions maybe, when you can kill stuff? It's takes me one Apollodorus run to get a weapon to rank 4, which is enough to slot serration/hornet strike. on a weapon with a V polarity (and any ranged weapon you've forma'd should have a V polarity) and a catalyst.

As I've said, if DE change the affinity mechanic, it will be to prevent any affinity going to weapons you're not using (As they tried before). The current situation exists only because of complaints that got that (temporarily) reverted, not because DE likes it. In their opinion if you don't use a weapon you shouldn't get affinity on it.

Edited by SilentMobius

I think we need an overflow exp system:

ie

Use your ranked Lv30 primary to get kills > 50% goes to secondary / 50% to melee. If you don't have a melee equipped. It is still 50% to secondary.

The focus system was due to handle "overflow" affinity. As it was only possible to collect focus affinity from max-rank gear the system would allow that extra, normally wasted, affinity to be used.

As I said, DE don't like players leveling weapon they're not using, they are unlikely to add more system that enable that.

if your trying to level a weapon use it as much as possible, leeching from a teammate and using powers doesnt give you full affinity bonus.

Another one.....

If you want to level a weapon, killing an enemy with weapon will you get 50% towards weapon, 50% towards frame.

If teammate kills an enemy, your weapon gets 75%, frame gets 25%.

If you only carry a single weapon

Yeah, I meant "weapons"

Here is a data in case someone doesn't know how it all works.

Option 1: You kill with a weapon.

- Weapon 1 gets 50%, weapon 2 - 0%, weapon 3 - 0%. 50% is wasted towards frame.

Option 2: Teammate kills:

- Weapon 1 - 25%, weapon 2 - 25%, weapon 3 - 25%. Only 25% is wasted towards frame.

Maxing 3 lvl-0 weapons.

Each weapon requires 450,000 affinity to max, so you'll need 1'350'000 weapon affinity to max 3.

Option 1 would require you to gain 2'700'000 total affinity to max 3.

Option 2 would require you to gain 2'025'000 total affinity to max 3.

Option 2 requires 675'000 less total affinity to max 3 weapons. By the time you max 3 weapons in option 1, option 2 will max 4 weapons + have 1 lvl7 weapon.

Maxing 2 weapons, which require 900'000 weapon affinity.

Option 1: You'll need 1'800'000 total affinity.

Option 2: You'll need 1'350'000 total affinity.

Option 2 requires 450'000 less total affinity to max 2 weapons. By the time you max 2 weapons in option 1, option 2 will max 2 weapons + have 1 ~lvl26 weapon.

Conclusion: When maxing weapons, its best to let teammates kill, regardless if you need to max 1, 2 or 3 weapons.

Edited by (PS4)iBoiz

Make affinity into a manually distributed point system.

Get affinity during mission, nothing goes into any weapon or frame during mission.

Get to extraction, mission is over. You now have 60 seconds to assign percentage values to your weapons and frame.

Weapons and frames get the amount specified of the total affinity pool you have amassed.

Awesome idea +1

I knew something ridiculous was happening with affinity gain. I had no idea how backwards this system is. 

Surprised no one has mentioned- leveling companions while playing solo is pure suffering; specifically because of the current experience system.

Surprised no one has mentioned- leveling companions while playing solo is pure suffering; specifically because of the current experience system.

Oh I didn't even think of that. That's awful. I liked the manual affinity assignment that somebody thought up earlier in the thread. The current system is busted and counter-intuitive. 

in firefall, there's a system that prevent us to gain massive exp from certain enemy has has lv cap too high from yours

maybe Warframe can have something similar ? So people would stick to low lever map in order to gain decent exp and fight decent enemy.

No thanks. I run Sedna Spy missions with Loki to level melee weapons from unranked -- stealth finishers while channeled kill everything except heavies, and you can gain (technically infinite, but without sticking around very long) your first 12 levels in a single run -- 18+ with a booster.

Also, I sometimes bring crappy weapons into endless missions -- I start off killing the low level stuff with the crappy weapon, then switch to the high level backup once it gets too tough.

Also also, I'm usually fine playing an unranked Warframe in T3. I brought my unranked Oberon into T3 survival, and I was the only person still alive at the 60 minute mark (and also rank 18 by then, but still lacking mods). I was solo for the last 5 minutes, and made a dash to the exit to end the round.

Sorry, but you are mis-informed.

When you kill something with your primary weapon, affinity is split 70% / 30% between the primary and the warframe, the primary getting the major half. None of the affinity that you get from kills with your primary weapon give ANY affinity to your secondary or melee. Same applies to secondary and melee weapons as well. Kills with them have all the same 70% / 30% split, while Warframe Ability kills take 100% of all the affinity.

Affinity gain from any outside source - be it mission objectives, orbs or kills by other players - is split equally between all your items, sentinels and their weapons included.

If you want to try proving me wrong, go ahead. Forma / build some weapons and take those unranked things to mercury, then proceed to ONLY kill things with your primary, without picking up any affinity orbs or completing the challenges. You will notice that your secondary or melee will get 0 affinity from that mission.

So close. The only thing is affinity gained from outside sources is split evenly between your equipped warframe and weapons (25% each if all 4, 33% if only 3, etc), and an extra 100% is split between the companion and its weapon (50% to each if both are equipped, 100% to companion if no weapon).

Also, not sure if it's 70/30 for weapon and warframe split, or 75/25.

Get affinity during mission, nothing goes into any weapon or frame during mission.

Get to extraction, mission is over. You now have 60 seconds to assign percentage values to your weapons and frame.

Weapons and frames get the amount specified of the total affinity pool you have amassed.

Cool so u start with rank 0 frame and after 30 mins ingame u still cant use any ability other than ur first

It would eliminate about half the grind so DE will never go for it.

A much better system would work like this:

XP from your own kills

The case for XP from your own kills is simple:  the XP goes towards whichever weapon you use the most.  But again, why would you use a weapon that has the damage of a pea-shooter?

The simplest solution which actually makes most sense and fixes another problem is have the weapon do a third or half the damage when unranked ie weapons always have maximum capacity but damage is reduced based on level.  This also eliminates fiddling around with mods every time you rank up your weapon.

Kills from skills go to the Warframe as usual.

XP from other teammates' kills

This is the balance between reducing leeching, promoting teamwork and avoiding Saryn/Mesa getting all the XP.

Warframe unfortunately has those support abilities which need spamming non-stop.  Players shouldn't be rewarded for spamming abilities but nor should they be penalised.  Thus, those within 10m at least should share XP.

Current range is 50m.  Is this too much?

Should XP be shared equally?  No, if someone brings level 15 weapons or a level 15 frame, they should get half the XP generated by level 30 frame/weapons.  This is controversial -- discuss.