Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Honestly Thought This Was A Joke

Renathy

When they're doing it to stand out from everyone else because they're desperate for something, yes. Which I can't name many instances where that isn't the case.

If you want to fight a vain uphill battle to argue with everyone about it though, go ahead.

Pretty sure those posting in mixed case are just as desperate for platinum (or whatever it is they're WTB). Most people are not going to casually sit in front of a window and repeatedly type the same thing (or copy paste it) just to kill time. I may casually scroll through trade to see whats the new big thing, but I never actually post in there unless I want something.

If you're referring to "What's wrong with typing in all caps?"

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with it. There isn't some massive downside to using it that wouldn't be present if you didn't use it. It's simply a matter of how often and heavily it's used. When just over half of all trades in trade chat become flooded with users posting in all caps, there comes a point where the users who haven't been able to make many trades will feel that their posts are going unnoticed because they haven't caved and begun using caps lock. I can't speak for every individual, but I know that I've been there, and it has a false sense of appeal. You're not going to get any more exposure by posting in caps, and if ever a time comes when virtually everyone in trade chat is using caps lock, it will be flooded even worse than it is currently due to the fact that caps lock causes the posts to increase in size while not increasing the size of the window in which they are displayed.

My question, what's 'wrong' with everyone simply not using a disproportionate amount of capital letters in their trade posts?

Yes, that was my question.

Increasing the size of the text is a good thing for those who have worse eye sight. The window itself can be stretched, can't it?

My answer is nothing is wrong with it just as nothing is wrong with people choosing to use all caps. So if neither is a bad thing, why not allow all caps messages in trade? If DE wants to avoid flooding they're going to have to scrap the current system and implement an auction house. You just can not have chat based trade without it being flooded with tons of text unless you make it a hassle to use (36 character max for example paired with a 1 minute+ chat timer heavily burdens those with a large amount of items they're looking to sell forcing them to either spend more time creating unique messages or forcing them to leave items out and just say "WTS lots of stuff, PM me please!!!!!"

If you want to look like a 10 year old screaming at the computer, then knock yourself out. Pressing Caps Lock in an obvious attempt to have people pay attention to you over everyone else is fairly off-putting. Which, again, in most instances is the case.

Doesn't mean people that don't do it aren't desperate for something. But you don't have to stink of desperation either.

I completely disagree. The people filling their posts with random symbols are the ones I think are childish. All caps grab my attention, hence why it is so common in marketing. Hell, DE does it "WARFRAME NINJAS PLAY FREE" and "WARFRAME SUIT TO KILL"

It's kind ironic, because people who imagine capitalized messages as people screaming are the 10 year olds. I see it as a form of communication, as any other, only capitalized. - I mean, what else would I be doing in the trading chat, anyway? Do you not want me to get people's attention. It's like going to a market and everybody's whispering, because they get kicked out for shouting.

And I get that. However, experiences from other games kinda soured it for me. Games I now wonder why the balls I played them because they were full of squealing kids.

I type in all caps so that I don't get flooded out of trade chat.

I will continue to type in all caps in trade until they formally do something to stop all caps in trade chat.

Competition 101 - I am not going to be at a disadvantage when competing with other players because I fear the risk of being 'kicked'.

Generally - Someone talking in all caps is considered to be 'established'. Now I know this isn't true, but it's an unconscious mentality. When you have all the big dogs making posts like 'WTB - R10 PRIMED CONT. // WTS - R10 BLIND RAGE - PM ME OFFERS', it kind of stands out more than someone saying 'I need a flow mod. Please I will trade for it'.

Of these two posts, who do you think is the player who will more likely know what they are doing and more likely to know their prices?

Exactly. That is why I will continue cap spam until no one is allowed to cap spam

Excuuuuuse me, princess.

9X3UIR7.png

Now I know what was CasualBot's purpose. His name is totally irrelevant to anything that I had in mind. I apologize if I offended you by activating a key in my keyboard, which is also present in every keyboard ever made by man, that allows me to capitalize every single letter.

I didn't know this is what they wanted to do by supposedly throwing the trading chat away. Good on ya'!

Information I gathered on this topic:

● Mostly every user dislikes capitalized sentences (regardless of the message)

● It floods the chat (more than anything else, even spam itself)

● It is considered as spam (again, regardless of the message)

● Fully capitalized messages are obnoxious and garbage (see underlined word above) ✓

● The trading chat has been reworked to accommodate this specific issue (by banning any fully capitalized message) ✓

● It brings out people's inherent hate (albeit many other worse issues are present)

I can understand that capitalized messages flood the chat. I can't understand anything else.

very easy to understand, im not in the mood to get eyecancer when im at tradechat, i wanna trade, and i dont wanna get intruded which doesnt function anyway ^^)

All caps is basically just yelling. There's other things people can do, like inserting a few symbols/random characters to get their messages noticed, if that's what you're worried about. But truth be told, if you post "WTS hikou pouch" and I need a hikou pouch, I'm going to see it, and I'm going to contact you about it. It doesn't have to say "WTS HIKOU POUCH!!" for me to notice it.

Just sayin'

SPAMMING EVERYTHING IN CAPS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING IN EXISTENCE, ESPECIALLY WHEN HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE ARE SHARING THE SAME (TINY) CHAT.

You wouldn't start shouting in an elevator when there's other people with you, wouldn't you?

Trade chat isn't an elevator, its an open market. If you were trying to get noticed among a metaphorical sea of vendors, shouting would be the easiest thing to do. Now, once one person starts shouting, so does everyone else. Without all caps you still get drowned out, with all caps you get drowned out. Removing all caps does nothing but irritate those who liked to use it (or those of us who liked how the all caps posts broke up the mixed case sea of monotony. Monotony kills my eyes and makes it harder for me to pick out the things I want from all the copypasta.

It's annoying end of story. Stop spamming all-caps.

I disagree, but I do find people copypasting the same exact message every few minutes to be annoying. Maybe you guys should stop doing that since that actually is spamming.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden post

TRADE CHAT ISN'T AN ELEVATOR, ITS AN OPEN MARKET. IF YOU WERE TRYING TO GET NOTICED AMONG A METAPHORICAL SEA OF VENDORS, SHOUTING WOULD BE THE EASIEST THING TO DO. NOW, ONCE ONE PERSON STARTS SHOUTING, SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE. WITHOUT ALL CAPS YOU STILL GET DROWNED OUT, WITH ALL CAPS YOU GET DROWNED OUT. REMOVING ALL CAPS DOES NOTHING BUT IRRITATE THOSE WHO LIKED TO USE IT (OR THOSE OF US WHO LIKED HOW THE ALL CAPS POSTS BROKE UP THE MIXED CASE SEA OF MONOTONY. MONOTONY KILLS MY EYES AND MAKES IT HARDER FOR ME TO PICK OUT THE THINGS I WANT FROM ALL THE COPYPASTA.

I THINK YOU'RE CONFUSING OPEN MARKETS WITH CONSTRUCTION SITES, IF EVERYONE STARTS SHOUTING YOU JUST WON'T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE THING AND WHAT YOU'LL GET IS JUST A BIG HEADACHE.

There is no excuse for spamming in caps, just learn to be a civil person and write normally.

I THINK YOU'RE CONFUSING OPEN MARKETS WITH CONSTRUCTION SITES, IF EVERYONE STARTS SHOUTING YOU JUST WON'T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE THING AND WHAT YOU'LL GET IS JUST A BIG HEADACHE.

There is no excuse for spamming in caps, just learn to be a civil person and write normally.

Have you never been to a large market? Same goes for construction sites. Typically the only one yelling on a construction site is the one who has a reason to be talking. The rest are too busy doing their job. Everyone talking at the same time has the same exact effect. Go to a high school cafeteria. Even when everyone is talking at a normal volume you end up having to lean close to each other to be heard because all the talking bleeds into each other forming one big oppressive buzz.

There is no excuse for spamming. But there are perfectly valid reasons to use your capslock key. Using all caps does not mean you aren't being civil.

I'm nowhere as neurotic as you so I'm not going to reply to all your responses 1 by 1. Using all caps online is widely conisdered as rude and constitutes "yelling" online. You know this, I know this.

I'm not neurotic. I just like to reply to those who reply to me. That's funny, because I only ever see this 'all caps is rude' mentality in pocket communities. Many other forums I have used and sites I have visited had no such anti-capslock ideology. No, you may think that but I do not agree. I also don't view yelling in a market as rude.

I'm glad DE is cracking down on caps spammimg now. I greatly dislike people who filled up the entire chat with caps spam that nobody would read and interfered with others' business.

And like I said when they introduced the new "sheriff", it is only for North America, in europe you can type all caps like you want. No bot will kick you.

Excuuuuuse me, princess.

9X3UIR7.png

Now I know what was CasualBot's purpose. His name is totally irrelevant to anything that I had in mind. I apologize if I offended you by activating a key in my keyboard, which is also present in every keyboard ever made by man, that allows me to capitalize every single letter.

I didn't know this is what they wanted to do by supposedly throwing the trading chat away. Good on ya'!

Information I gathered on this topic:

● Mostly every user dislikes capitalized sentences (regardless of the message)

● It floods the chat (more than anything else, even spam itself)

● It is considered as spam (again, regardless of the message)

● Fully capitalized messages are obnoxious and garbage (see underlined word above) ✓

● The trading chat has been reworked to accommodate this specific issue (by banning any fully capitalized message) ✓

● It brings out people's inherent hate (albeit many other worse issues are present)

I can understand that capitalized messages flood the chat. I can't understand anything else.

I got this earlier and here is the message I wrote:

WTS CARRIER prime SET. Will negotiate.

notice that I did this ^  the word prime is implied so I made it all lower case, but I still got kicked.

]\'[okuto Bunshi

Peace Out.

Have you never been to a large market? Same goes for construction sites. Typically the only one yelling on a construction site is the one who has a reason to be talking. The rest are too busy doing their job. Everyone talking at the same time has the same exact effect. Go to a high school cafeteria. Even when everyone is talking at a normal volume you end up having to lean close to each other to be heard because all the talking bleeds into each other forming one big oppressive buzz.

There is no excuse for spamming. But there are perfectly valid reasons to use your capslock key. Using all caps does not mean you aren't being civil.

I'm not neurotic. I just like to reply to those who reply to me. That's funny, because I only ever see this 'all caps is rude' mentality in pocket communities. Many other forums I have used and sites I have visited had no such anti-capslock ideology. No, you may think that but I do not agree. I also don't view yelling in a market as rude.

I;ve been using the internet since 1994. It'a always been considered rude to use all caps. If you wren't aware of this, well you are now....

Not to be off-topic but I must say this is one of the most finely formatted user posts I've ever seen, excellent work OP.

As for the subject, most people do find it "rude" or "annoying" albeit I'd presume this to be true only in conversational chat, I see no harm in an advertisement doing it, considering it's similar to a billboard using all capital letters when trying to sell you something.

Not to be off-topic but I must say this is one of the most finely formatted user posts I've ever seen, excellent work OP.

As for the subject, most people do find it "rude" or "annoying" albeit I'd presume this to be true only in conversational chat, I see no harm in an advertisement doing it, considering it's similar to a billboard using all capital letters when trying to sell you something.

The trade chat with everything in capitals would be substantially harder to read. While we're at it, why don't we take out all punctuation as well?

The trade chat with everything in capitals would be substantially harder to read. While we're at it, why don't we take out all punctuation as well?

Ah, so this is indeed the "forum" I hear so much about. Not even once did I say "abandon all rules all ye who enter." I merely stated that I don't see a drastic amount of harm in it, I would hope we aren't all the equivalent of a chimpanzee and would simply bandwagon onto the caps lock train once we saw a few people do it. Now, since words are being put into my mouth I shall see my way out and hope that you all may continue in this riveting discussion over the trade chat tab rules.

-Sincerely, Sir Pennyworth the Inane

IMHO this only really affects negatively legitimate users like OP making a honest mistake. spammers will continue to spam.

just like AFK system really hurts more legitimate users because players who want to leech easily find a way around it.