Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny: The Taken King

Shreiko

Destiny's game play is solid, but every single other aspect of the game was cut to hell for DLC and feels rushed.  It's environments are hilariously tiny, it's customization level is sad, the weapons all feel like pea shooters in PvE, and those that don't get nerfed because they can't seem to balance PvE and PvP separately. 

Though my favorite part is the DLC being so clearly cut out of the original game.  The best is example is House of Wolves introduces the Vault of Glass raid mechanics.  The time shifting platforms, and the Oracles are introduced in HoW.  That's either horrible game design or (considering that area could be accessed through a glitch) was cut from the original game. 

Destiny is fun with friends, but it was a rip off.  Defend the game play, don't defend the awful greedy and frankly disgusting dissection of a game to squeeze more money out of it.

Especially since that game had the potential to be a landmark game, and is instead a 6/10 let down.  You should be down Bungies throats ESPECIALLY if you love the game, because they stole something even better out from under you and overcharged you for a lesser product.

-snip-

THis is exactly what is needed.

Not just pure hate, but balanced criticism which I also give. I mentioned many times that I hated Destiny when it was released, I pointed out numerous flaws and even got into an argument with my friends over how bad the game was. I know the flaws of Destiny very well, but the positives of it are there. If there was no positives at all, then I wouldn't be playing the game.

THis is exactly what is needed.

Not just pure hate, but balanced criticism which I also give. I mentioned many times that I hated Destiny when it was released, I pointed out numerous flaws and even got into an argument with my friends over how bad the game was. I know the flaws of Destiny very well, but the positives of it are there. If there was no positives at all, then I wouldn't be playing the game.

I guess the problems I have with Destiny are largely a matter of principle: You had a beta, you had five years (Warframe's barely had 3), you had the blessings of Activision, you had all the resources a game dev could possibly want, and yet you shipped Destiny as is? Surely Bungie didn't think things like the Cryptarch issue would just fly right under the radar? I mean, it took them a year to get around to supposedly fixing their problems.

I'm almost inclined to believe year one was open beta, some kind of testing the waters to simply build a base of devotees that would buy the DLC almost in defiance of the inevitable vitrol, social manipulation modeled after Early Access games. It would sorta jive with the stringing along Activision came up with around 2013 where they'd split the disc into DLC, or so the story goes. Activision, after all, wants to make a stream of revenue out of Destiny a la CoD or Skylanders or WoW, and why wouldn't they?

The costs of keeping pace with graphics is increasing! The cost of a single AAA project has gone up and up and up for reasons bigger than just graphics! And sales are down because the hordes of casual gamers this industry relies on have switched to the mobile market! Activision needs money to sustain its bloated enterprise, which means now they must squeeze the player like a sponge, string them along by spending more money on marketing than they do the game! Heaven knows they rush these things to the extent that games barely function oftentimes!

And Destiny? Destiny is like all these desparate practices run together. They're so desparate to milk the players they have they sunk to RED BULL PROMOS, where the coding system was designed so hastily people have been able to STEAL CODES.

So I guess even if Destiny does become a good game, and even if it does come to PC (I no longer use my PS3), I'm gonna think about it real hard before I buy it, especially since Bungie couldn't tell a half-decent story with this game but then again they never did in all the other Halo games.

Is that okay? I mean we all collectively agreed to swear off Konami after the crap surrounding MGSV, can we swear off Activision too?

MY VIDEO GAME IS BETTER THAN YOUR VIDEO GAME AND BECAUSE YOU THINK DIFFERENTLY THAN ME THAT MAKES YOU A HOMOSEXUAL BECAUSE IT IS STILL 1970 AND THAT'S BAD.

NO MY VIDEO GAME IS MORE GOODER THAN YOUR VIDEO GAME AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU'RE A STUPID HEAD AND YOUR MOM SMELLS FUNNY.

This is how a lot of arguments about video games look to me.

I feel good for you if you can hype for it! But personally after seeing it try to squeeze every penny out of me and seeing the massive mess at launch I just can't feel it anymore. Bungie just dumped me for no reason and took a crap on me. Even if it comes to me bettered up somehow that lost trust is never coming back. I'm just weary of being forced to pay for stuff I was promised when I had to pay the price of a full game.

But hey, doesn't mean it can't get better or people can't enjoy it!

Here's to you guys having fun!

Edited by Evanescent

Well, no, not really, you're hyping a paid patch for a game that was cut down purposefully to resell the content that was in it. It's disgusting, imagine if you had to pay for the patches that DE put in warframe.

Look, it's upcoming content for a game that could use it. Plain and simple. If you're just here to argue with fans and bemoan the fact that not everyone agrees with your view of the game, just save it. I can't even fathom what you're out to get here. Does it somehow wound you that some players were able to look past the flaws the game had to begin with because they found it enjoyable? Are you out here trying to convince players to stop playing the game? Because literally 0 opinions regarding purchases and hobbies have been changed by random opposed opinions on the internet. Where does ridiculing the game and it's players even get you at this point? In all seriousness, this thread was simply a way to make fans of both games aware that Bungie was basically doing a devstream, while you and your ilk came along to crash the party for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Nice. Great going. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

I think you might want to fix your post. It's about as well put together as destiny. The issue here isn't that destiny is getting more content, the issue is that it is cut content and patches you are paying for. There is no good reason to defend that. I'm not ridiculing any individual only a despicable company and its lack of morals. And I'm pointing it out because I don't believe that people should be having to pay for cut content and patches. Destiny in it's current state is approximately beta level, at launch I would have classed it as pre alpha.

And you know what? I am proud of myself, proud that I stand up against these disgusting business practices and refuse to pay again for something I've already payed for. I'm proud that I'm not among those of you who enable this sort of thing.

So just to get this clear. Warframe is better right? So I won't waste my money with another game that clearly has issues worse than this one.

Warframe is leagues and bounds better.

Destiny has slightly better graphics and more "raids", and that's it.

Worse RNG. Destiny's "raids" consist of re-skinned generic enemies with massive health pools and the occasional difficulty supplement. 3 player co-op, 6 player raids. Campaign consists of horde mode "missions" with poorly written "lore" injected into them. Speaking of lore if you want it, you have to quit the game and log onto bungies website and read from cards exciting right?. Clans are only accessable through bungies website no in-game integration. Voice chat is only available in a fireteam, and wasn't added till long after launch. You are constantly connected to a server for one reason only, to track your inventory, make no mistake destiny does not have gameplay servers. And worst of all, even with the taken king paid patch destiny still doesn't have all the content it was supposed to have at launch.

I think you might want to fix your post. It's about as well put together as destiny. The issue here isn't that destiny is getting more content, the issue is that it is cut content and patches you are paying for. There is no good reason to defend that. I'm not ridiculing any individual only a despicable company and its lack of morals. And I'm pointing it out because I don't believe that people should be having to pay for cut content and patches. Destiny in it's current state is approximately beta level, at launch I would have classed it as pre alpha.

And you know what? I am proud of myself, proud that I stand up against these disgusting business practices and refuse to pay again for something I've already payed for. I'm proud that I'm not among those of you who enable this sort of thing.

My post was intentionally put inside of the quotation because I was going to reply to two other replies you made but decided not to in retrospect as they weren't directed towards me. The post was perfectly succinct and put together aside from the format, which was left as is due to the worse alternative of having white lines on my text.

I'm staying away from any discussions involving Destiny because they will always devolve into a senseless back and forth between half-hearted fans who want to defend what little good is coming to the game, and the heavily salted peanuts who have nothing better to do than bash the game like it's the first one that has failed to live up to expectations or was shipped with broken features. I guess a big development means that those are unforgivable sins that can never be diminished.

And herein lies the rub: I'm not even a huge fan of the game, I get that it has a plethora of flaws, setbacks, and shortcomings that shouldn't be present in a AAA title. But, that's a good representation of the quality we can come to expect from AAA titles that are pumped out for profit. Bungie and Activision intend to make a big return on their investment (which was a sizeable one). I'm not defending their actions, I just understand that $60 on average for the base game was never going to be enough for them. Whether you protest or not, people ARE going to spend their money where they please. If they enjoy Destiny, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll continue paying for new content for the game. I don't see the point in incessantly ripping apart a game at every turn like it's some crusade for a better industry. There are COUNTLESS AAA titles that monetize everything in the game for the maximum efficiency in profit, Destiny taking that path is not a sign of the gaming apocalypse. At least they don't have microtransactions thus far.

Edited by Kestral9999

I wanted Destiny to be good, but at this point I would prefer people send a message to Bungie/Activision by having the sales for TTK be horrible. 

They aren't going to abandon the franchise, but maybe they will make Destiny 2 (if they are not just going to keep releasing expansions as a money grab instead) a full game on release. 

To those who are clearly sick of the Destiny flame threads, I think the reason this game generates so much heat is because the potential for an incredible game was squandered and everyone can see it.  Plus the sales numbers on release weren't exactly small so there are a lot of voices out there.

Let's just raise a glass to DE and other independent studios who want to make good games and aren't squashed beneath a distributors heel. 

And also pour out a glass in memory of all the Devs that put their heart and soul into Destiny (you can see it), but had their creation cut to hell for whatever reason.

They aren't going to abandon the franchise, but maybe they will make Destiny 2 (if they are not just going to keep releasing expansions as a money grab instead) a full game on release. 

The plan with Destiny is this:

There are "Years".

The Taken King marks the beginning of Year 2 and will end with the 6th DLC.

Destiny 2 will mark the beginning of Year 3.

I wanted Destiny to be good, but at this point I would prefer people send a message to Bungie/Activision by having the sales for TTK be horrible. 

To those who are clearly sick of the Destiny flame threads, I think the reason this game generates so much heat is because the potential for an incredible game was squandered and everyone can see it.  Plus the sales numbers on release weren't exactly small so there are a lot of voices out there.

Let's just raise a glass to DE and other independent studios who want to make good games and aren't squashed beneath a distributors heel. 

And also pour out a glass in memory of all the Devs that put their heart and soul into Destiny (you can see it), but had their creation cut to hell for whatever reason.

Here here, as far as DE's concerned. They might monetize everything in the game but it's also all available for free if you have the perseverance to get it and they don't charge you for the game itself or any of the updates. For that, I will always respect them.

I get that a lot of people dislike the game, and for perfectly valid and understandable reasons. I've been there. I almost sold the game because I was so disappointed after I finished the story mode for the second time. What I don't get is why ANYTHING regarding Destiny in any small way is GUARANTEED to attract someone who will turn what should have been a simple snide remark regarding the game and turn it into a tirade against every little flawed detail of it. I've never seen another game that was capable of triggering people like that, I really haven't. I've seen games that are easy to hate on (CoD, Brink, etc.) but Destiny is on a whole different level unto itself.

My biggest disappointment regarding Destiny is that there was so much internal turmoil between the writing staff and the executives (and pretty much everyone else) that the main writer for the story (as in, the guy who made most of Halo's stories) left on awful terms. The day I heard about that, I knew to expect that the final release of Destiny was going to be lackluster.

All that being said, I do see the potential in the game, and I'm a logical enough person to know that many aspects of the game will improve regardless of whether or not you pay for the newest DLC. Cut content honestly has no meaning to me whatsoever, the developer has creative control over what content is included for the initial purchase and the publisher has control over how it's monetized. That's just business, and yeah, it's shady.

The plan with Destiny is this:

There are "Years".

The Taken King marks the beginning of Year 2 and will end with the 6th DLC.

Destiny 2 will mark the beginning of Year 3.

I've heard this a few times before, and I'm wondering where you get that information from. Could you source that for me?

I'm staying away from any discussions involving Destiny because they will always devolve into a senseless back and forth between half-hearted fans who want to defend what little good is coming to the game, and the heavily salted peanuts who have nothing better to do than bash the game like it's the first one that has failed to live up to expectations or was shipped with broken features. I guess a big development means that those are unforgivable sins that can never be diminished.

And herein lies the rub: I'm not even a huge fan of the game, I get that it has a plethora of flaws, setbacks, and shortcomings that shouldn't be present in a AAA title. But, that's a good representation of the quality we can come to expect from AAA titles that are pumped out for profit. Bungie and Activision intend to make a big return on their investment (which was a sizeable one). I'm not defending their actions, I just understand that $60 on average for the base game was never going to be enough for them. Whether you protest or not, people ARE going to spend their money where they please. If they enjoy Destiny, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll continue paying for new content for the game. I don't see the point in incessantly ripping apart a game at every turn like it's some crusade for a better industry. There are COUNTLESS AAA titles that monetize everything in the game for the maximum efficiency in profit, Destiny taking that path is not a sign of the gaming apocalypse. At least they don't have microtransactions thus far.

You know, I can actually respect that statement, and yes I'm a "heavily salted peanut", I had a lot of respect for bungie for there previous titles, which is what puts salt and iodine in the wound of the state of Destiny. I payed for limited edition, I still have the limited edition book, I watched all the developer diaries and honestly to me it feels like a repeat of alien colonial marines, so much promise, so many lies, so much letdown. However gearbox didn't charge for patches and updates, which is what really grinds my gears with bungie. I may sound entitled, but I believe the only way bungie could redeem itself is to admit it's wrongdoings, take the fee off the "DLCs" and refund those who had purchased them. I won't buy another bungie title on principle.

http://www.destinypedia.com/Destiny

Scroll to the very bottom.

I don't have much more to go on, but this is what I got. 

Do you mean this: eyD9lVM-noscale.jpg

I've seen another I can't seem to source which may or may not be official, can't remember where I saw it that showed destiny having 7 DLCs with two standalones IE the taken king, and then Destiny 2 plus 2 DLCs.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

You know, I can actually respect that statement, and yes I'm a "heavily salted peanut", I had a lot of respect for bungie for there previous titles, which is what puts salt and iodine in the wound of the state of Destiny. I payed for limited edition, I still have the limited edition book, I watched all the developer diaries and honestly to me it feels like a repeat of alien colonial marines, so much promise, so many lies, so much letdown. However gearbox didn't charge for patches and updates, which is what really grinds my gears with bungie. I may sound entitled, but I believe the only way bungie could redeem itself is to admit it's wrongdoings, take the fee off the "DLCs" and refund those who had purchased them. I won't buy another bungie title on principle.

As a consumer you're absolutely entitled to show them how you feel with your wallet, and I can respect that. I can even respect your opinion regarding the game because it's not unfounded or baseless. I'm in the same boat as you, I've got the limited edition goodies and I feel like it's in a game that I'm dissatisfied with thus far. I'd certainly be happy if Bungie were to refund our DLC purchases, especially the first two as they were... underwhelming is an understatement, but I'm not holding my breath. The Taken King looks like the first one that actually will be worth an expenditure, but I can't necessarily say that I agree with the price point. I'm still getting it, it's shameful, I know. But I've got a clan full of close friends who are eagerly awaiting the drop and I don't wanna be a downer and ruin that excitement by not being available because I don't have it (not to brag but I'm the one who most often carries our team in Crucible/Iron Banner, and I was always the Swordbearer/Relicbearer in the raids). 

I feel certain in saying that Destiny is going to get better. Looks like TTK is a step in the right direction. I know that isn't going to ease the borderline betrayal that we faced with the initial game versus what was promised to us. But at the end of the day we all just want to be able to actually enjoy the game. 

@Kestral9999  They honestly should lower the price point for people who already owned the first 2 expansions.  20$ price point I'm definitely in, at 40 me and all my usual crew are very very unsure. 

Hell if they dropped this one into the first expansion pass, they'd probably bring a ton of player base back as the changes look pretty good.

As a consumer you're absolutely entitled to show them how you feel with your wallet, and I can respect that. I can even respect your opinion regarding the game because it's not unfounded or baseless. I'm in the same boat as you, I've got the limited edition goodies and I feel like it's in a game that I'm dissatisfied with thus far. I'd certainly be happy if Bungie were to refund our DLC purchases, especially the first two as they were... underwhelming is an understatement, but I'm not holding my breath. The Taken King looks like the first one that actually will be worth an expenditure, but I can't necessarily say that I agree with the price point. I'm still getting it, it's shameful, I know. But I've got a clan full of close friends who are eagerly awaiting the drop and I don't wanna be a downer and ruin that excitement by not being available because I don't have it (not to brag but I'm the one who most often carries our team in Crucible/Iron Banner, and I was always the Swordbearer/Relicbearer in the raids). 

I feel certain in saying that Destiny is going to get better. Looks like TTK is a step in the right direction. I know that isn't going to ease the borderline betrayal that we faced with the initial game versus what was promised to us. But at the end of the day we all just want to be able to actually enjoy the game. 

Umm if you bought limited edition you should have the first two DLCs free, unless it was a different package where you are. I haven't played destiny since before the first DLC came out, and the two DLCs, while free for me since my limited edition came with the season pass, I haven't had a reason to go back. Destiny's PvP is still quite limited for gametypes and without custom games to go with it, it's not really that appealing for me, but at least it's not as broken as the beta where I had an LMG that 2 hit, fired as fast as Soma and had 120 rounds in the magazine, that was beyond broken. The raids are a bit too limited and having 3 player really bugs me because I'm used to 4 player co-op. Honestly, I'll wait and see what they do with a sequel and if it's done well I might pick it up on sale, but that will be many years away.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen