Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is This Dissatisfaction With Volt?

Heidrek

I'll take a buff on Overload. Volt is fine and is one of the most versatile frame in the game, as in he's great in any mission type. And this is not the case with Ember, who is not good at anything with enemies over level 20. I also don't get the whines players have on Volt. Sure, his base speed is not as fast as Loki but his speed buff affects melee attack speed. And with syndicate mod it's also a CC. The shield is great because it buffs damage and can be multiplied if needed. People seem to think it's bad because it's not Snowglobe but the shield stops any damage even level 90 enemies who would shred globes in seconds.

Volt is "underpowered" simply because his powers must be used at the right time. You can't turn off your brain (like Frosts who only knows how to use Snowglobe and not his other powers which are great now) and press a button forever. Seems like that has always been the case: the popular frames are the ones with "1 power to rule them all". Even the Excal rework, which made his other powers work well with each other and some people just know how to spam his ult. It's how you can tell a good player from the bad: do they use more than a single power effectively.

But hey, Overload *is* the weakest of Volt's powers. I'd take a buff on that. I just hope they don't turn Volt into another Ember.

My only issue with volt is being afflicted by fish-eye effects when I use speed, especially because it is not inflicted upon my team mates when they get the buff from me, (they should have to suffer with me, damn it! or better yet, remove that stupid effect.) and overload has that stupid "electronics in the area" mechanic that made the power itself very weak without electronics and it blows out  the electronics in the area so it doesn't get the buff more than once, making it's decent damage potential very situational and can only be used once in that situational area.

I hear people want him to be reworked. I think he's fine as he is stunning enemies with electricity, speeding allies to reduce enemy accuracy, covering and boosting dmg with his shield and stunning more enemies with his ulti. 

His damage is terrible with his two offensive abilities. They can barely kill medium level enemies (15-20) after multiple uses. His speed boost is helpful for when you just want to rush through a mission. His shield can't protect against blast procs and can be punctured by regular bullets if the enemies are high enough level/damage. His chain electricity only stuns a few enemies with little damage. His Overcharge does the same as his chain, but goes in a circular radius instead.

Basically he's a warframe that you would use for capture missions and probably nothing else.

His damage is terrible with his two offensive abilities. They can barely kill medium level enemies (15-20) after multiple uses. His speed boost is helpful for when you just want to rush through a mission. His shield can't protect against blast procs and can be punctured by regular bullets if the enemies are high enough level/damage. His chain electricity only stuns a few enemies with little damage. His Overcharge does the same as his chain, but goes in a circular radius instead.

Basically he's a warframe that you would use for capture missions and probably nothing else.

Volt's damage is alright when enemies are clustered together and deadly when the clusters get dense enough.  His damage against Grineer is poor due to armor scaling and Alloy resisting Electric damage, but that's not really a problem with Volt's design in particular,

Speed helps you to quickly rush to an ally's aid or to escape from a bad position.  There's more to it than just rushing missions.  It also increases melee ability and makes normally impractical builds and combos effective due to its attack rate buff. 

Volt's Shield will protect against AOE damage if one is placed at an appropiate distance away to screen the explosion sources (missiles.)  It is also not any less effective against enemies with high damage.

Shock is a helpful, on-demand stun that can be used while aiming, shooting, and reloading.  Its damage is also potentially alright due to clustering and electric procs, as long as the enemy is not Grineer.

Overload has above average range for a radial nuke, stuns repeatedly (though a problem in implementation keeps all of its stuns from taking effect; that's what we should be focusing on in feedback,) and does more damage than every radial nuke except for Miasma when enemies are near at least one other enemy.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

Volt's damage is alright when enemies are clustered together and deadly when the clusters get dense enough.  His damage against Grineer is poor due to armor scaling and Alloy resisting Electric damage, but that's not really a problem with Volt's design in particular,

Speed helps you to quickly rush to an ally's aid or to escape from a bad position.  There's more to it than just rushing missions.  It also increases melee ability and makes normally impractical builds and combos effective due to its attack rate buff. 

Volt's Shield will protect against AOE damage if one is placed at an appropiate distance away to screen the explosion sources (missiles.)  It is also not any less effective against enemies with high damage.

Shock is a helpful, on-demand stun that can be used while aiming, shooting, and reloading.  Its damage is also potentially alright due to clustering and electric procs, as long as the enemy is not Grineer.

Overload has above average range for a radial nuke, stuns repeatedly (though a problem in implementation keeps all of its stuns from taking effect; that's what we should be focusing on in feedback,) and does more damage than every radial nuke except for Miasma when enemies are near at least one other enemy.  

Is xbox getting different warframe ability content then us?

Okay, you do make a valid point, but compare it to other warframes. The only real advantage volt has of use is the speed boost and chain ability.

Frost's bubble(snowglobe) can replace volt's shield.

(Also):

(Frost's Ice wave in U17 could possibly be a replacement for volt's chain ability)

Rhino/Frost's Final abilities (Rhino stomp/Avalanche) can top volt's overcharge, not to mention that both are tank warframes making them of high value in missions.

Volt needs to be useful to players when comparing him to others. Speed boosts are not needed, nor are small chain attacks when there are much better replacements.

Is xbox getting different warframe ability content then us?

What do you mean? in specific?

My only issue with volt is being afflicted by fish-eye effects when I use speed, especially because it is not inflicted upon my team mates when they get the buff from me, (they should have to suffer with me, damn it! or better yet, remove that stupid effect.) and overload has that stupid "electronics in the area" mechanic that made the power itself very weak without electronics and it blows out  the electronics in the area so it doesn't get the buff more than once, making it's decent damage potential very situational and can only be used once in that situational area.

I use over extended makes it better.

Okay, you do make a valid point, but compare it to other warframes. The only real advantage volt has of use is the speed boost and chain ability.

Frost's bubble(snowglobe) can replace volt's shield.

(Also):

(Frost's Ice wave in U17 could possibly be a replacement for volt's chain ability)

Rhino/Frost's Final abilities (Rhino stomp/Avalanche) can top volt's overcharge, not to mention that both are tank warframes making them of high value in missions.

Volt needs to be useful to players when comparing him to others. Speed boosts are not needed, nor are small chain attacks when there are much better replacements.

What do you mean? in specific?

whoa volt's got more speed and that shield can multiply damage. He's solid I think. Frost's bubble can shatter, as well bombards, lankas, etc can easily break the bubble. Like you saying that the shielding can't stop high level enemy fire. I thought it stops all fire. 

whoa volt's got more speed and that shield can multiply damage. He's solid I think. Frost's bubble can shatter, as well bombards, lankas, etc can easily break the bubble. Like you saying that the shielding can't stop high level enemy fire. I thought it stops all fire. 

I could've been wrong about the bullets breaking through volt's shield, but I'm unsure at this point.

Frost's bubble does a whole circle though, whereas volt needs to place a total of 4 different ones. Frost can also spam his bubble if necessary.

I could've been wrong about the bullets breaking through volt's shield, but I'm unsure at this point.

Frost's bubble does a whole circle though, whereas volt needs to place a total of 4 different ones. Frost can also spam his bubble if necessary.

As much as it may seem odd to you, I'd generally take Volt's shield over Frost's in most scenarios.  Each shield has its own distinct traits, advantages, and disadvantages.  Also, you're quite wrong about Volt's shield, it's incapable of being destroyed by enemy gunfire, regardless of level.

• Frost's shield has HP, and is therefore capable of being destroyed.

Volt's shield has no HP, and always lasts throughout its duration.

• Frost's shield provides area denail due to the push/blowback on cast.

Volt's shield provides no blowback/area denial.

• Frost's shield provides no offensive bonuses to gunfire.

Volt's shield grants bonus critical damage to any shots fired through it.

• Both shields are capable of stopping Bombard rockets or other AoE projectiles.  However neither of them actually stops the AoE damage from going outwards.
  • Frost's shield can be a direct hinderance to allies depending on its placement.

Volt's shield is either always a gain or simply moot based on its placement and can't be a hinderance.

• Due to his higher base speed and Speed ability Volt is better at tactically placing shielding out in the actual field of battle.

Meanwhile Frost is less capable of this, but he also doesn't need to do so as much since his shield operates differently.

• Frost's shield is a dome who's size is effected by range.

Volt's shield is alike a lense, which has a static shape uneffected by range.

Edit;  the hell... the list formatting entirely broke.  Thanks forum.  And, fixed.  Or so I hope.

Each of these abilities is good, neither one has any reason to gain the traits of the other at all.  There is one thing which Volt's shield could "learn" from Frost's in terms of design however.  This would be the synergetic type of bonus which exists between Frost's 3 and his 1.  Having something alike this for Volt, though not just a copy and paste job, would be an interesting addition to the frame.

Just to point out this other part of the situation overall.  Volt is far from a weak frame, he's actually very powerful and capable of preforming well in basically any situation.  His 1 is easily one of the best out of any 1 in the game, his 2 is very solid, and pretty great with the Augment.  His 3 is outright amazing, and his 4, despite popular opinion, is actually good and is capable of dealing solid damage numbers.

The trick to Volt is learning how to play him effectively/correctly.  Unlike is the case with many other frames, you don't normally fall into a situation of relying on just one out of his four abilities.  Rather Volt, alike Limbo, is a frame where you should be regularly using all of your abilities in tandem to sway any situation to your advantage.

Edited by Bobtm

Dissatisfaction comes when you Realise that Volt is perfectly balanced....But other frames and high lvl content (Raids and such) are not.

And here is result. Volt , while being really good, have no use for team in real "top tier" stuff. Coz top tier need loooong OP stuns and Godly damage negation for whole team....Not just a small shield that last few seconds.

I find Volt powers really good....Just DE made rest of the content far more "Powerfull" to handle with his current, not OP arsenal.

Currently, Good frame = Frame that have ability to completely disable enemies OR completely negate damage for a loong time....Just so everyone could stand there, yawing, and shoot disabled enemies.... Because if they dont disable enemies completely...Everyone gets oneshotted.

DE released very OP frames....Nova, Trin, Mirage .....These just made most frames obsolete. Then DE released content that cant be played without these OP frames.....

Sure people who like playing Volt (Or any other "weak" frame) are upset. Its unfair damnit.

LMAO

Oberon is balanced. He also has access to a vatirty of strong effects that synergice very well. Volt is just a mix up of pretty uneffective effects...he was nerfed to death.

The Volt dissatisfaction doesnt come from overloads damage or Cast time, it comes from the fact that Volt cant be built for Overload without screwing over his other skills, and even when built for overload it has a stupidly short stun cos its just an Electrical proc. simple as that

who builds range on volt???

Volt builds Duration for his 3 and Duration/PowerStrength for his 2, his 1 is good without mods and doesnt need to be built for, his ult is just bad,low damage,(people like to act as if when there are electrical devices it actually does damage but its still negligable in comparison to 90% other frames, different modding scheme to his other abilities, lack of utility, Overload IMO needs to be reworked to be honest

Edited by Axeroix

The Volt dissatisfaction doesnt come from overloads damage or Cast time, it comes from the fact that Volt cant be built for Overload without screwing over his other skills, and even when built for overload it has a stupidly short stun cos its just an Electrical proc. simple as that

who builds range on volt???

Volt builds Duration for his 3 and Duration/PowerStrength for his 2, his 1 is good without mods and doesnt need to be built for, his ult is just bad,low damage,(people like to act as if when there are electrical devices it actually does damage but its still negligable in comparison to 90% other frames, different modding scheme to his other abilities, lack of utility, Overload IMO needs to be reworked to be honest

I build it for range just to stun guys... lol

As much as it may seem odd to you, I'd generally take Volt's shield over Frost's in most scenarios. Each shield has its own distinct traits, advantages, and disadvantages. Also, you're quite wrong about Volt's shield, it's incapable of being destroyed by enemy gunfire, regardless of level.

• Frost's shield has HP, and is therefore capable of being destroyed.

Volt's shield has no HP, and always lasts throughout its duration.

• Frost's shield provides area denail due to the push/blowback on cast.

Volt's shield provides no blowback/area denial.

• Frost's shield provides no offensive bonuses to gunfire.

Volt's shield grants bonus critical damage to any shots fired through it.

• Both shields are capable of stopping Bombard rockets or other AoE projectiles. However neither of them actually stops the AoE damage from going outwards.
  • Frost's shield can be a direct hinderance to allies depending on its placement.

Volt's shield is either always a gain or simply moot based on its placement and can't be a hinderance.

• Due to his higher base speed and Speed ability Volt is better at tactically placing shielding out in the actual field of battle.

Meanwhile Frost is less capable of this, but he also doesn't need to do so as much since his shield operates differently.

• Frost's shield is a dome who's size is effected by range.

Volt's shield is alike a lense, which has a static shape uneffected by range.

Edit; the hell... the list formatting entirely broke. Thanks forum. And, fixed. Or so I hope.

Each of these abilities is good, neither one has any reason to gain the traits of the other at all. There is one thing which Volt's shield could "learn" from Frost's in terms of design however. This would be the synergetic type of bonus which exists between Frost's 3 and his 1. Having something alike this for Volt, though not just a copy and paste job, would be an interesting addition to the frame.

Just to point out this other part of the situation overall. Volt is far from a weak frame, he's actually very powerful and capable of preforming well in basically any situation. His 1 is easily one of the best out of any 1 in the game, his 2 is very solid, and pretty great with the Augment. His 3 is outright amazing, and his 4, despite popular opinion, is actually good and is capable of dealing solid damage numbers.

The trick to Volt is learning how to play him effectively/correctly. Unlike is the case with many other frames, you don't normally fall into a situation of relying on just one out of his four abilities. Rather Volt, alike Limbo, is a frame where you should be regularly using all of your abilities in tandem to sway any situation to your advantage.

^^^^

Everything this guy said.

IMO, he couldn't be hurt by a dmg buff to Overload, like if enemy electronics on their person did some more dmg or whatever, but Volt doesn't really need some massive rework.

Part of the reason people don't like the way Volt is, I think, is because he is less immediately useful in an endless mission, mostly because his abilities are truly more suited to a mobile sort of mission than a camping mission.

Right tool for the right job peeps.

If you like the frame why are you against a buff?

This is why I don't like reading this forum.

I like Banshee, but I also don't automatically beg for buffs because that frame can't constantly nuke an entire ship. Warframes have their strengths and weaknesses, some have nothing but strengths. Fixing the ones that have nothing but strengths should be the priority, not messing with the ones that are fine already.

The issue with Volt can be summarized in 1 word:

- Damage.

Most of his offensive abilities rely on damage and nothing else for their use. The stun duration (while nice and slightly useful) on them isn't long enough for efficient crowd control. While his offensive abilities weather well even up to level 30 enemies, it's a matter of too much focus on system that scales indefinitely against you as the enemy difficulty increases.

Does this mean Volt is terrible frame? No and he's end-game playable with the right team and equipment. He is somewhat lackluster in some areas however, but that doesn't stop him from being a nimble and well-rounded frame.

Edited by DBugII

Because compared to other frames he's woefully underpowered.

If you like the frame why are you against a buff?

because most people want complete overhaul like excalibur, not fine tuning like frost. as a fan, im going to disagree with complete overhaul even if DE change it to 4 to win like excalibur.

because most people want complete overhaul like excalibur, not fine tuning like frost. as a fan, im going to disagree with complete overhaul even if DE change it to 4 to win like excalibur.

This kinda implies that Excal wasn't previously 4 to win.

His old (pre-LoS nerf) ult was SUPER 4 to win.

By the way, why does everyone complain about 4 to win anyway? It's a PvE game why do people care how others have fun?

This is why I don't like reading this forum.

I like Banshee, but I also don't automatically beg for buffs because that frame can't constantly nuke an entire ship. Warframes have their strengths and weaknesses, some have nothing but strengths. Fixing the ones that have nothing but strengths should be the priority, not messing with the ones that are fine already.

But, it's a PvE game? You act like this would someone ruin the experience for other players?

Why does everyone hate when someone else is having fun?

But, it's a PvE game? You act like this would someone ruin the experience for other players?

Why does everyone hate when someone else is having fun?

It's fine to have fun as long as the other people in the squad can also have a reasonable chance to have fun as well.  The game should be designed in a way that allows for a fun, fulfilling experience when matched with randoms.  The small group of people that legitimately enjoy 4spam for the sake of it should not be able to do so at the expense of the rest of the player population.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

On-topic with recent posts, but a mod should probably clean this place out.

I have absolutely no problem with 4 to win players, as long as DE implements a feature that lets us ban you guys and those terrible warframes from joining our games.

I shouldnt have to waste time typing elaborate rules in Recruiting for who cant join my games just because the majority of the players are asshats with exploitative gamebreaking playstyles. Forget about finding friends to play, they can smell the crappy multiplayer experience this game has from a mile away.

This being the case, I dont play Warframe much and I definitely dont give DE my money to play this overglorified racing simulator. I find its more fun to read the ridiculous arguments on the forum and rofl the time away than actually play the game.

Sorry DE, I know you work hard on this game but you let your players ruin it with their terrible ideas for what fun should be.

Edited by DarkTails

It's fine to have fun as long as the other people in the squad can also have a reasonable chance to have fun as well.  The game should be designed in a way that allows for a fun, fulfilling experience when matched with randoms.  The small group of people that legitimately enjoy 4spam for the sake of it should not be able to do so at the expense of the rest of the player population.  

So what DE said they'd implement 2 years ago, player feedback/playstyle, with matchmaking for it. That's not even a balance issue, that's a feature issue.

I have absolutely no problem with 4 to win players, as long as DE implements a feature that lets us ban you guys and those terrible warframes from joining our games.

I shouldnt have to waste time typing elaborate rules in Recruiting for who cant join my games just because the majority of the players are asshats with exploitative gamebreaking playstyles. Forget about finding friends to play, they can smell the crappy multiplayer experience this game has from a mile away.

This being the case, I dont play Warframe much and I definitely dont give DE my money to play this overglorified racing simulator. I find its more fun to read the ridiculous arguments on the forum and rofl the time away than actually play the game.

Sorry DE, I know you work hard on this game but you let your players ruin it with their terrible ideas for what fun should be.

Uhh, please don't project things onto me? I never said I do 4 to win, and you're just playing the "you play this way, that's inferior to mine" bs on people who legitimately enjoy that.

Second this is just a rant post, this doesn't even add anything to the discussion. All you did was flame people in this post without ACTUALLY contributing anything related to the topic of volt being unsatisfying to players.

On topic with recent posts

If you dont want to talk about something dont bring it up. Stop talking about it. Quit pretending to be a victim. People dont just spout S#&$ in a vacuum, get back on topic before others follow your cruddy example. Problem solved.

While we're all still here-

Asking that the warframes be balanced so everyone can play together in harmony is the goal.

When i ask for 42win players be ejected and repelled from my games, that doesnt take away from anyone's enjoyment. You are free to play with 99.999% of the other players who want you around, and not with the people who you wouldnt want to play with anyway. The universal "you", not you specific person whose fake name i wont even remember 5 seconds from now.

When people ask for all the frames to be as broken as the most broken ones, you are actively affecting the ENTIRE multiplyer community, causing some players to be completely useless and redundant in every single multiplayer mission.

Also, Volt: He's a pretty cool guy! Why are players ragging on him :[

Edited by DarkTails