The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Bounce Glaives More Useful

Ampoth

Alright, so I've been using glaives for a long time, it's basically my third most used melee weapon after the galatine and the Jat. Like most people I first started using them with a minimum bounce punch through build because that basically makes them into a targeted grenade, and if you're using the Kestrel (and you should be), then it's also a guaranteed knock back on your target. However for a while now I've been using a high bounce build glaive prime on my banshee because it's rewarding to hit the weak-spots with the glaive and take out multiple enemies on lucky bounces. 

Now, I remember reading or hearing somewhere the upon a bounce glaives will actually slightly redirect towards enemies, which I've observed in practice. My proposal is to drastically increase the amount that glaives redirect so that they will nearly always hit an enemy after a bounce (or at least much more often than they currently do). 

I'm sure that some of you are probably thinking that this would be too OP, and it might be, but I'm pretty sure it would only bring glaives in line with second tier melee weapons. Glaives as a whole don't actually do that much damage, so while on low-level content you would quickly kill many enemies, on higher level content this would only have the effect of hitting more enemies with each throw, for a rather small amount of damage. More over you can't melee while your glaive is bouncing about and it's rather disappointing to have it bounce around hitting nothing (which is one of the reasons most people use a minimum bounce build). Not to mention how weak most glaive melee attacks are, which only lends more reason not to engage with them at close range, they're obviously a throwing weapon, fighting close range with them should be a last resort.

Changing this would actually make adding bounces to the glaives a positive, which is currently isn't. It would turn glaives into a weapon that can hit multiple targets, which is currently isn't unless they're all in a line and you're running punch-through. And while it's totally possible to hit more than one target right now, I can really only get about two realistically. But I'm not as skilled as I believe a tenno would be, it'd make sense for them to be better at it than me, when they throw it they should hit many targets. Why? Because space magic for all I care, it would make glaives better. 

If you haven't used a max bounce glaive try it, sometimes when it does redirect just enough, amazing things happen. I'd like that to happen more often.

• Like 1

Halikar does this already and it can use that glaive skin that came out for a limited time. auto targeting would ruin the weapons imo, as i can actually aim the glaive at enemies and lead them with it. 

i get what you are trying to say i think, it aims at enemies after it bounces, which would be okay. as long as you don't make them auto lock. the Halikar does that as a feature because it's actually controlled by thrusters. 

also, i find this pretty funny. google thinks i mean lawgiver when i say glaive. 

Aaun7Lb.png

Halikar does this already and it can use that glaive skin that came out for a limited time. auto targeting would ruin the weapons imo, as i can actually aim the glaive at enemies and lead them with it. 

i get what you are trying to say i think, it aims at enemies after it bounces, which would be okay. as long as you don't make them auto lock. the Halikar does that as a feature because it's actually controlled by thrusters. 

also, i find this pretty funny. google thinks i mean lawgiver when i say glaive. 

Aaun7Lb.png

It already does aim at enemies after it bounces (all glaives do), it just adjusts very slightly. I'm asking that they increase the amount. I'm not asking for it to seek or curve mid-air, because I do agree the leading enemies is fun, what I want changed mechanically happens after it bounces, which you as a player have very little ability to control.

dev could make the glaive auto target while bouncing like oberon Smite ability though but nope....RNG man, dev's most favorite thing 

As stated, it does target enemies to some degree already, just not a lot, I'm requesting that it does it more. I don't want it to seek though.

• 8 years later...

Hi 

i just started playing again after a long time and am enjoying glaive.

i kinda want more bounces that is inclined towards enemies and then some feedback to tell me that my character catches the glaive... so I can throw it and do something else while it flies around. 
ie. throws glaive flight and bounce gives me a 5 second window to do some shenanigans then i catch it and maybe some mod allows me to throw it again with increased combo count.

I actually dont know how combo works with glaives right now.

That nekro tho lol.
But yeah this would be interesting. Given the current glaive meta of: Throw > Heavy attack explosion
This might offer somewhat of an alternative play style for glaives.

37 minutes ago, Lycansoul said:

and then some feedback to tell me that my character catches the glaive... so I can throw it and do something else while it flies around. 

ie. throws glaive flight and bounce gives me a 5 second window to do some shenanigans then i catch it and maybe some mod allows me to throw it again with increased combo count.

I think Hitting mele again should just auto-return your glaive to your hand so you never really have to keep track of it.
We have precedent for this now with spearguns doing this.

Cedo's secondary needs this too but on reload. As powerful as Cedo is, it's glaive can sometimes seem to just get stuck in awkward geometry. Or in open worlds launch into the sky and do nothing for 10 seconds.

2 hours ago, PollexMessier said:

I think Hitting mele again should just auto-return your glaive to your hand so you never really have to keep track of it.

That actually does return the glaive, just not instantly. It still has to observe its travel time.

While this topic is ancient, I think it is worth stating the current state of glaive "throw-builds", in other words builds that do *not* simply explode the glaive and that's it. For these builds specifically, a mod has been introduced to the game with the most recent melee update:

VolatileReboundMod.png

First of all, glaives aren't really worth using, despite their power, without the innate bonus of their forced status procs - for example a slash proc on the Glaive Prime, famously. Unfortunately the explosion caused by this mod does *not* activate the weapons innate proc on heavy attack explosions. This alone is already enough reason to never use throw-builds on most glaives, there are however some exceptions: The Pathocyst would in theory be better with a build that forgoes the heavy attack explosion, as it only gets a single Viral proc anyway, and the Volatile Rebound explosions do cause Viral damage, meaning with Weeping Wounds and a Heat mod, this weapon could do some work.

However, most regrettably any and all of these builds are nonfunctional in practice. And the reason for this is a bug that I've reported years ago, and that will never be fixed (like so many others!).

Glaives will frequently reset to consider their entire accumulated combo equal to zero. But even worse, the combo itself does not reset, so you are actually blocked from "rebuilding your combo" until you heavy attack and expend the remaining "phantom combo points". Basically, throwing glaives without using the explosion is not a viable strategy, and likely will never be. Here, have one of the videos I based my bug report on, years back, you can see that the combo counter and the Blood Rush/Weeping Wounds/Gladiator stack do not align most of the time (I am using heavy attack efficiency by the way, which slightly alleviates this bug):

If you just look at the thumbnail you can already see 0 stacks from Blood Rush etc. at 12x combo.