Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Electric Shield Change Since Hotfix 17.4.2

Ninjamander

It freaking says in the patch notes that there will be some compensation for the removal of functionality.  

However, it is troubling that things are suddenly becoming bugs after years of functionality.  Is this what "Year of Quality" was actually supposed to mean?  Feels bad, man.

did you read OP's post? OP knows that there will be compensation, the problem is that they should have only removed/changed it once that compensation was decided upon and immediately implemented.

This is like saying: Saryn, Excalibur, Trinity and the entire void are unbalanced so we will remove them now and think of some compensation/reworks that you might get in like 5 months or so.

After reading some comment, they is some good and some bad thing after those change:

- hit-scan and weapon that go beyond 70m will probably benefice from this change, but honestly, at this point you are more then likely to have been moving around and cast another shield closer since is a very narrowed cone, unless you make a wall of shield.

- everything else will have a reduced range and will force volt to constantly use more shield as he need to move closer to the enemy.

all those current change making me wonder if the odonata/odonata prime Energy Shell will be affected like this.

Volt overload is probably one of the worst ability in warframe but everything else work extremely well, part of the reason why I would be scare of a rework on him. I still believe DE should have wait the change/compensation where fully done before changing his ability to this current state. I was thinking that the shield could follow him similar to the odonata/odonata prime Energy shell but in the same time, it might sound too much over power In the same time, if they do buff/rework overload, it might be warrant to change some of his current synergy.

TL-DR version

DE should have wait until his rework was ready before touching volt and leave him unfinished unless this feature was a bug share with the odanata/Odanata prime Energy shell.

Any change on volt could affect him greatly thanks to his great synergy between ability and would required a careful path for the rework.

Edited by Ninjamander

Btw, for those that are not aware, for a few months now there was a bug on the Volt's Shield that did not allow any punch through at all. Whether it was innate or by the use of mods, any and all punch through was removed when firing through the Electric Shield. Seems to be fixed now, so I am guessing that was their main intention with this change. GG ;)

Btw, for those that are not aware, for a few months now there was a bug on the Volt's Shield that did not allow any punch through at all. Whether it was innate or by the use of mods, any and all punch through was removed when firing through the Electric Shield. Seems to be fixed now, so I am guessing that was their main intention with this change. GG ;)

interesting, I did not know that.

You know what's hilarious?

People have been complaining about 2 year old bugs for months, and now that 2 year old bugs are being fixed everyone's angry.

Except this isn't like coptering. Electric shield used to increase weapon viablity by giving beam weapons a little extra range. Anything that removes weapon viability should be considered a bad move.

Except this isn't like coptering. Electric shield used to increase weapon viablity by giving beam weapons a little extra range. Anything that removes weapon viability should be considered a bad move.

70m is not "a little" range. One of the Amprex's limiting factors is the short range. Volt's shield spit in it's face. You have to admit it was kinda broken. And range on beam weapons isn't exactly a big deal in most situations. I mean, what's the standard range? 25 meters? 30?

70m is not "a little" range. One of the Amprex's limiting factors is the short range. Volt's shield spit in it's face. You have to admit it was kinda broken. And range on beam weapons isn't exactly a big deal in most situations. I mean, what's the standard range? 25 meters? 30?

18m on Amprex, 20m on Flux Rifle, 50m on Quanta/Vandal, 15m on Synoid Gammacor.

On Amprex alone, a huge range was not really incredible, since it did not have a perfect accuracy like all the others. So, on ranges 40m+, it would struggle to hit anything at all, barely making contact from time to time and that is under the assumption you had no Heavy Caliber on.

did you read OP's post? OP knows that there will be compensation, the problem is that they should have only removed/changed it once that compensation was decided upon and immediately implemented.

OP's original post before he edited didn't acknowledge the intended compensation.  it was kind of just a "oh no Volt is helpless now" type of thing.

It wasn't anywhere close to broken. It had to be fired through a stationary barrier that costs energy with a "limited" duration. You can't use it while moving around the map. They should have left it the way it was until they had a proper replacement. Now they gutted both my favorite frame (Volt prime 6 formas) and my favorite weapon in one swift strike. I'm very angry about this change.

What really makes me mad is the "interactions asap" at the end of the changelog. How many days, weeks, months is that supposed to mean? Are we even going to get a Volt buff this year? Soon

Edited by PrivateRiem

OP's original post before he edited didn't acknowledge the intended compensation.  it was kind of just a "oh no Volt is helpless now" type of thing.

actually, if you did read carefully, you would have notice that I was. I also never say volt was helpless either. Mind to stay on the topic instead of been focus on the op itself? aka me.

Edited by Ninjamander

i seriously wonder why they did deploy it before reworking volt, admittedly electric shield has always been wonky in it's interactions with weapons and probably they had to do this in order to rework volt, or maybe we'll be finally gettining electric shell that turns electric shield in an electric version of odonata's 1?(stacking bugs and devenloping code with bugs already present is a very bad idea generally) but was it too much to hold the change until volt was reworked? anyway volt was already unviable for pretty much anything except rushing sabotage so it just has to sit tight and wait to be reworked now. it was an horrible choice of timing but well, let's wait for the rework and hope for the best?