Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Still Not Viable In The Late Game

Illamonati

So I've been playing for a while now and here is my rant about melee:

1. This is a Ninja game

2. Melee weapons dont scale into higher enemy levels (around 50+)

3. I dont even want to know how bad it was before melee 2.0

4. Fix it please

Meleeing is unrewarding, especially since you almost need a movement speed mod on your frame to do it, which comes at a cost, unless you 5 forma your frame.

Its more exhausting than justgunning down stuff.

And it does less damage.

Melee's biggest problem is that currently there's only a couple of frames designed for melee. It's not that melee weapons themselves suck. It's that going into melee range is suicide for most frames in endless T4.

Additionally, many enemies are designed to counter melee for some reason. Like all Grineer heavies. I don't know why DE made enemies counter melee and low-RoF weapons, but not the things that are actually OP.

Edited by Defendor

Melee works just fine against lvl50+ enemies. Melees fall off at about same time as guns do.

Not really ... my vey hek still 2-3 shots heavy gunners in the void at 40+ mins

However, my valk dual ichors will chew away for a minute or so.

Both maxed DPS.

Same for soma p, boltor p, paris p, dread ect. No melee weapon can even come close to that late game damage to armored tagets.

Even Dakra p with crimson dervish (presumably highest DPS melee in the game) falls of WAAAY earlier than most decent guns.

Edited by Illamonati

Not really ... my vey hek still 2-3 shots heavy gunners in the void at 40+ mins

However, my valk dual ichors will chew away for a minute or so.

Both maxed DPS.

Same for soma p, boltor p, paris p, dread ect. No melee weapon can even come close to that late game damage to armored tagets.

For late game, you use something to remove armor of course.

Even Dakra p with crimson dervish (presumably highest DPS melee in the game) falls of WAAAY earlier than most decent guns.

It's not the highest dps melee in the game and it also has crappy range so it's not very good anyway for melee only playing. Edited by Naftal

For late game, you use something to remove armor of course.

It's not the highest dps melee in the game and it also has crappy range so it's not very good anyway for melee only playing.

So you are confirming that melee is weak.... since u need to remove armor for it to be viable.

On top of everything, you are forced to get in close and tank a lot of damage....

I got a maxed loki p and even on him I will chose a gun over any melee at 40+ mins. Because melee will simply not put out the same damage or kill the same amount of enemies even with the loki bonus dmg.

So you are confirming that melee is weak.... since u need to remove armor for it to be viable.

On top of everything, you are forced to get in close and tank a lot of damage....

I got a maxed loki p and even on him I will chose a gun over any melee at 40+ mins. Because melee will simply not put out the same damage or kill the same amount of enemies even with the loki bonus dmg.

I need to remove armor for guns to be viable too at that level.

I think it's just a matter of skill. I've been playing melee for over two years. I have no problem soloing 1h survival with loki and obex without invisibility for example...

So that it doesn't become press e to win, though their lower damage output can supposedly be upped with channeling mods.

And for the armour removal argument, u mean guns don't need armour removal to be viable in late game...?

I think it's just a matter of skill. I've been playing melee for over two years. I have no problem soloing 1h survival with loki and obex without invisibility for example...

Do you use Disarm? Lots of units can burst down Loki in 2-3 seconds around the 1h mark. If you don't, then massive props!

I've been using scindo valk and it's decent but sometimes I have problems with enemies spawning 1 at a time when I run solo. 

Major problems with melee

No Z axis/can't aim...you just point your attack animation in a general direction. 

Very few weapons that have enough dps to scale even though there are tons of melee weps

Very few frames that are able to run up and attack at melee range

Very little incentive to use melee at all because it's high risk low reward. 

Melee isnt on par with other weapons, end of discussion :)

I also soloed t4 survival for 1h hour multiple times melee only. that doesnt mean its on par with other weps.
in very few cases are slightly better because of finishers, but still there's plenty of weapons that outclass melee till 2h mark (and after that melee is slightly better just cause of finishers because of armor scaling, if you dont use 4 cp)

I admit you can enjoy most of the game's content with melee only, but its still much less confortable than shooting with an average rifle at any distance you want.

melee is damn awkward most of the time, has crappy range and very low dps. we are talking about space ninjas future melee... it has to be powerful and fluid. and melee combo counter should be totally reworked.

Also finishers should be a prize for ninja playing. nice to see but you get stuck in a very long animation. Nice thing the change to attack rate mods affecting finisher, but still very little.
"Fury" mod should affect finisher like fire-rate mods do on bows: double its bonus on finishers. its a real pain to see very fast melees (ichors and like) having such a very long finisher animation for such little damage.

We definitely need and deserve a melee 3.0  too many people like going melee, and it fits the game so much. but as it is now it looks like a self-crippling to go melee only 

Well it depends on the frame you're using, i have no issues on ex: t4 survival with an eternal war valkyr+scindo prime, and when there's a corrupted heavy gunner or bombard that I can't take down fast enough i cast paralysis and do a finisher on them.

Valkyr is the only one viable even at level 100 enemies with the right melee weapon, only because of Paralysis. Not many frames can magically open up finishers. Melee needs a rework.

Are you crazy or something?? Melee is THE ONLY WAY to kill a rank 3000+ faster enough

If you want to take a look here, you can find that after hours of run.. Melees are the only thing that still work

This is the Triton World Record, enemies ranked more then 3,400

Just saying Edited by (PS4)KrakenUnchained