The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Separates A Skilled Melee Player, And A Spammer?

LordQ

I don't get it really. As a melee main in Conclave i am confused as to what it takes to be a spammer. My main weapons for conclave was the Magistar and the Anku. 

I tried my best to utilize every combo in each of their stances in each time the combo would be useful in the situation. Does that make me a skilled player? Using different combos? Or do people really just hate the idea of being killed by a melee weapon. It takes about 2-3 strikes for the Magistar to kill someone, and for the Vectis with the Lie in Wait mod, it takes roughly the same amount of shots from afar to take someone down. How come no one makes too big a deal out of that?  In conclave it actually felt like a high risk high reward to be a melee. Melee specialized in 1v1 combat and you were at risk of getting shot at from behind when you stuck on a target. When you're at range, it's much easier to deal with multiple people depending on what gun you're using. That's besides the point. What does it take for a melee player to have skill rather than have people piss and moan about you being a spammer? 

What does it take for the pissing and moaning to end? Will melee combat ever be viable in a shooting game? 

In my humble opinion, much of the moaning will end with lag being addressed as well as the funky hitboxes. I say much of - as there will always be moaners.

However i will say in regards to your Vectis vs Magistar hits to kill. Big difference there as the Vectis requires pinpoint aiming vs mashing the melee key. I mean, go use a Vectis and keep using it until you match your melee K:D even if you do match it, the kills will still be more difficult, you don't have to put a small reticule over the target to damage in Melee.

Edited by JonBenj

A really good melee player will stunlock gunners, predict when to go in, and take 0 damage from guns by dodging superiorly

Combos rarely mean anything in warframe. It's usually just e SPam for best results.

Well, i do 2 out of those 3 things, (I get shot... like all the time)

On the second half, I do believe combos do make a difference, use eleventh storm. It's pretty obvious that some of the combos have more practical use than others. 

The separation should be in your mind, since you're the one who's concerned with it. Keep doing what you're doing as long as you feel comfortable with the methods you employ. If people are actually verbally raging at you or talking trash back in lobbies, too bad for them. People are bound to get frustrated in PVP scenarios no matter what. It's a lot more personal than dealing with AIs.

A really good melee player will stunlock gunners, predict when to go in, and take 0 damage from guns by dodging superiorly

Combos rarely mean anything in warframe. It's usually just e SPam for best results.

Yes, stunlock the gunners in PVP. Indeed.

o 3o

I'd definitely say that combos can be successfully utilized in a PVP set, the stuns you can get on the hammer stances are pretty impressive, with wide swings, and fast 360 degree affecting attacks, if executed properly with the appropriate move they can be devastating.

8MkeBfJ.jpg

Edited by Mrwitchdoctor

Most of the combo's are just for the show. (And usually meant for PvE). Especially the combo's from the early stances.

I mean, Warframe has a lot of weapon categories, so implementing a perfect stance for so many weapons at once was wishful thinking when Melee 2.0 got released. Good thing is DE revisits the old stances once in a while to update them.

Another huge downside of combo's, is that you're stuck in the animations.

Roll, block, jump, etc... should have a higher priority and should cancel the combo's the moment you hit the key.

The only attacks that shouldn't be cancellable are the (upcoming) charge attacks. Since the idea around them is high risk high reward.

Also, a skilled player is not going to sit around and let you finish your combo.

The moment you land the first hit, he's already gone. This means most of the time, you won't be able get to that final blow that knocks them down, etc... 

What also would help a bit is if each hit in the combo could be delayed drastically. Making the combo's more unpredictable. This will require to find another input for the current pause combo's.

So, what makes you a melee pro at the moment?

Epicagemo worded it very well: 

You cant be "skilled" with this melee system (because players complains), combos are powerfull but dangerous and not rewarding at all, the most effective way its press E key. You are stuck on combo animation, and the target can run or jump away, so constant "E" key its better than a combo times, i mean, if you got killed for a combo, or you are distracted for other enemy, or you really dont know how to evade it.

Lets not forget that executing certain combos require proper timing, medium awarenes and lighthing fast reflexes (try doing the 500% damage kick with the Kogake(grim fury) and the 20% extra atk spd mod in mid battle and land on someone, really tricky to pull, but very rewarding)

ok, after seeing this post for the first time i did a full match with melee, and i have to tell you, i played in a very similar way to the way i play with my bow and this is what i got:

http://i.imgur.com/HduEfy4.png

most players actually moved a lot, just like me, got unlucky on this match on that but i managed to win anyway.

and when i say its the first time i used melee on a full match, i mean that only about 1% off my total conclave kills were melee kills, thats only 84 kills, i have no melee experience at all and i still managed to do this without just spamming E, if i just spam E i would probably double the kills....and triple the deaths...

i only managed to play with a good melee user once.

first of all no good melee user need any kind of auto targeting or high range melee, a good players can get close to the enemy and hit him without any help on that area, auto targeting helps a lot but skilled melee players dont really need that and for me auto targeting has always been the main problem on conclave melee, and no, im not just talking about martial magnetism, im talking about the default auto targeting.

so yeah, prety much what Epicagemo just said..

I have a feeling there are 2 kinds of melee users currently, people that are legitimatly good at melee and favor it, and then there are the players that heard that melee is completely OP and you can stun lock players and it's really the only way to play pvp if you want to be 1337skillz0rs, all they do is jat kitag slam and then spam E in your general vicinity/direction until you're dead, or they are, it works against total beginners obviously but bullet jump away and fire mid-air back at them is sufficient to deal with most of them. I have a feeling the old meta of melee being completely OP will continue reverberating into the current meta for quite a while, case in point the guy that charged me with a jat kitag held high to deflect my soma fire from the opposite side of that big room adjacent to cephalon rooms on orokin map, he ran from their base straight towards me on the ledge you land on with the jump pads on the opposite side, I had time to shoot him dead 10+ times, he insisted in running straight towards me anyway, with predictable results. At 100m+ you really should use a gun, or hide, or something else more productive than going full tuskan raider. I always get really cross at teammates that refuse to use guns on the enemy cephalon carrier 50m+ away instead chasing after with melee weapons raised high... I get it, you like your sharpened metal stick, but come on it's not the right answer to 100% of situations.

Edited by KriLL3

Don't mind the ragers. Melee are inferior to ranged weapons.They are scrubs  if they get killed by melee in my opinion. :p I use melee much more as a surprise atk. Because most people try to run away from the danger zone in a straight line, i can gun them down more easily.

is not really broken, is just like the others melees before the last nerf.

Before the nerf the majority of melee weapons were extremely broken, killing people extremely fast with little downsides. The Tipedo is broken right now, I can just copter into people and get a kill without putting in any work.

Before the nerf the majority of melee weapons were extremely broken, killing people extremely fast with little downsides. The Tipedo is broken right now, I can just copter into people and get a kill without putting in any work.

yes, considering that melee was broken before this nerf, tipedo is definitely broken

Actually, I think melee does take skill if used again the skilled. I mean, I play with my friends and everytime I touch him he bullet jump. That way I learn the movement and find the right moment to strike my weapon instead of mindlessly spamming E.

Melee's difficulty is not in playing the combo or minor stuff like that. 

Melee's difficulty lies in opportunity, movement, decision making and reaction time. That differs you from E spammers.

Actually, I think melee does take skill if used again the skilled. I mean, I play with my friends and everytime I touch him he bullet jump. That way I learn the movement and find the right moment to strike my weapon instead of mindlessly spamming E.

Melee's difficulty is not in playing the combo or minor stuff like that. 

Melee's difficulty lies in opportunity, movement, decision making and reaction time. That differs you from E spammers.

This guy gets it. 

I don't even know why people make such a fuss about it. Spamming is situational as well. Jat kittag spam slam was annoying, but people weren't that good with it to be game braking. Spamming does not make you OP and you should ignore S#&$ talking anyway, end of story.

Edited by Boltwin

I don't even know why people make such a fuss about it. Spamming is situational as well. Jat kittag spam slam was annoying, but people weren't that good with it to be game braking. Spamming does not make you OP and you should ignore S#&$ talking anyway, end of story.

The problem is spamming E is more powerful than shooting for under everage players, even tho it is weak against skilled players it is over powered against newbies and really easy to do and cheap.

so pretty much all fights between newbies the 1 spamming melee is the one who wins.