Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Fps Drops With Gtx 970

Storm-Surge

I'm getting the same thing with a 980GTX. Performance is getting gradually worse and worse. Before, regardless of whatever map I was doing, with all settings maxed, I was getting 160+FPS. Since U17, it's been getting worse, it went down to 50-60FPS and recently, the last day or two, the frame rate will drop down to 30 FPS which is incredibly noticeable. Sometimes, I'll play a map and get perfectly acceptable frame rate and then the next, it'll go all wonky. 

I'm getting the same thing with a 980GTX. Performance is getting gradually worse and worse. Before, regardless of whatever map I was doing, with all settings maxed, I was getting 160+FPS. Since U17, it's been getting worse, it went down to 50-60FPS and recently, the last day or two, the frame rate will drop down to 30 FPS which is incredibly noticeable. Sometimes, I'll play a map and get perfectly acceptable frame rate and then the next, it'll go all wonky. 

Are you running the game with the FPS display on? If so, keep an eye out on the RAM being displayed there. A while ago Glen asked us to help him find memory leaks. Could be what's causing these problems.

Glen's thread is now locked, but it contains some useful information nonetheless:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/518135-hunting-memory-leaks/

• 2 weeks later...

Im also having problems with performance on warframe.

First i saw fps drops in any map but its worst in void. I get anything between 40 and 60 with v-sync on. About 60-120 v-sync off. Then i changed graphic options for few hours with no visible difference. I didnt watch fps much after hour of tuning so i dont know when this weird thing happened or what causes it. I was playing void and image started to stutter so i thought it was because of low fps but when i checkd fps-meter it showed solid 60. About ten minutes later in intense fight with multiple opponent fps went down to 52 and stuttering was so intense game was almost unplayable.

This weirdness happens sometimes. My overall fps is still bad.

I can play GTA V with almost maxed options with 1080p and have good image on screen.

I have gtx 970, asus mobo m5a97 le r2.0, amd core fx-6300, G.SKILL Ripjaws Performance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz.

OS is WIndows 10

CPU temps stays under 50 celsius.

My pc is clean from dust, rocks, sticks, cats and little babies.

All my cores are working while playing (no parking).

Game data has been verified.

Also i pushed "optimize" button in launcer few times.

Ive ran game with dx10, dx11, dx10+dx11 and without both.

Ive switched in and out of multi thread rendering

Ive tested almost every graphic option separately, restarted game everytime after change.

Ive put best performance option in  windows poiwer managment.

I will try to disable mobos power saving thingys if there are such and tell you if it work. Now i will take little break from warframe.

I just hope this stutter/low fps thing is something we can fix ourselves and not something that is built in warframe.

Edit. I took off cpu power saving thingy from bios. No visible difference, still stuttering.

Also i made random changes in Nvidia CP for Warframe and let GeForce Experiense make its own automatic tuning.

This made graphics stutter less with v-sync off. FPS was over 60.

Its better but with action on screen i get headache just watching these awful graphical tremors.

Im not pro in computering but i have feeling that problem lies somewhere else than in my computor and i cant do much to         fix it.

Edited by Jumalauta

Im also having problems with performance on warframe.

First i saw fps drops in any map but its worst in void. I get anything between 40 and 60 with v-sync on. About 60-120 v-sync off. Then i changed graphic options for few hours with no visible difference. I didnt watch fps much after hour of tuning so i dont know when this weird thing happened or what causes it. I was playing void and image started to stutter so i thought it was because of low fps but when i checkd fps-meter it showed solid 60. About ten minutes later in intense fight with multiple opponent fps went down to 52 and stuttering was so intense game was almost unplayable.

[...]

Yes, it is similar to what I experience here. It stutters at 60 FPS with V-sync on. Turning V-sync off helps with the stuttering, but I can't deal with the screen tearing.

I think the stuttering is being caused by Warframe not supporting triple buffering and only using double buffering instead. As I understand it, double buffered V-sync will cause you problems when your framerate drifts away from your monitor's refresh rate. When this happens, you get a big artificial FPS drop. What you see on screen is very similar to the game instantly going from 60 FPS to 30 FPS, which is probably what we describe as "stuttering". Your hardware is not actually running the game at very low FPS, but it is forced to behave that way because of the buffering restrictions enforced by double buffered V-sync.

Triple buffering also restricts your hardware, but it is a lot more flexible then double buffering. It won't kill your FPS just because the framerate fluctuated a bit. You could try to force it via drivers, but I read that only works for OpenGL. Since Warframe uses DirectX, forcing it probably won't work. So we need DE to either add triple buffering to the game or to tell us it is already there and that the problem lies somewhere else.

Right now, I think all you can do is change your monitor's refresh rate (if possible). A different refresh rate should affect V-sync and the stuttering as a result. Just remember to check which refresh rates you monitor supports before you try to make any changes.

Edited by Amazerath

Yes, it is similar to what I experience here. It stutters at 60 FPS with V-sync on. Turning V-sync off helps with the stuttering, but I can't deal with the screen tearing.

I think the stuttering is being caused by Warframe not supporting triple buffering and only using double buffering instead. As I understand it, double buffered V-sync will cause you problems when your framerate drifts away from your monitor's refresh rate. When this happens, you get a big artificial FPS drop. What you see on screen is very similar to the game instantly going from 60 FPS to 30 FPS, which is probably what we describe as "stuttering". Your hardware is not actually running the game at very low FPS, but it is forced to behave that way because of the buffering restrictions enforced by double buffered V-sync.

Triple buffering also restricts your hardware, but it is a lot more flexible then double buffering. It won't kill your FPS just because the framerate fluctuated a bit. You could try to force it via drivers, but I read that only works for OpenGL. Since Warframe uses DirectX, forcing it probably won't work. So we need DE to either add triple buffering to the game or to tell us it is already there and that the problem lies somewhere else.

Right now, I think all you can do is change your monitor's refresh rate (if possible). A different refresh rate should affect V-sync and the stuttering as a result. Just remember to check which refresh rates you monitor supports before you try to make any changes.

Or just turn off v sync and use a frame cap instead.

To Jumalauta:

Warfarme is bottle necked by cpu with any modern 'gaming' graphics card. Your have a high end gpu, but not a high end cpu.

My i5 3570k (4.1 overclocked) bottlenecks my gtx660 in void@80-90 fps. Outside of void or in conclave matches, I am at 160fps+

Your comment is funny, Pythadragon, I have an older i7. I used to get 200+ FPS with no problem in any map. Orokin or regular, now, since between this release and U17, my game's performance has degraded. Funnily enough, even though the FPS is still over the minimum of thirty, it feels like it's going under thirty.

Or just turn off v sync and use a frame cap instead.

To Jumalauta:

Warfarme is bottle necked by cpu with any modern 'gaming' graphics card. Your have a high end gpu, but not a high end cpu.

My i5 3570k (4.1 overclocked) bottlenecks my gtx660 in void@80-90 fps. Outside of void or in conclave matches, I am at 160fps+

If you cap the framerate the stuttering becomes permanent. It's not a solution.

Also, I have two questions about what you said:

1) How does a CPU bottleneck happens when the game is not even using 50% of the CPU's maximum processing power? (i7, by the way)

2) What kind of CPU bottleneck is capable of sustaining solid 60 FPS even when the game stutters?

I get it that performance problems can be caused by hardware bottlenecks. But that also doesn't mean they always are.

1) How does a CPU bottleneck happens when the game is not even using 50% of the CPU's maximum processing power? (i7, by the way)

Just because you have 4 (or 6, maybe 8) cores and 8 (or up to 16) threads doesn't mean that everything you run will automatically gain any advantage out of it.

Warframe would seem to be a game that benefits the most from either dual or quad cores, that would explain CPU bottleneck with mere 50% CPU usage. You've got few cores running at 100% while others are simply resting because there isn't anything to do for them.

Just because you have 4 (or 6, maybe 8) cores and 8 (or up to 16) threads doesn't mean that everything you run will automatically gain any advantage out of it.

Warframe would seem to be a game that benefits the most from either dual or quad cores, that would explain CPU bottleneck with mere 50% CPU usage. You've got few cores running at 100% while others are simply resting because there isn't anything to do for them.

Lets say I agree with you. Let's say my i7 is not enough to run the game without stuttering. Even better, let's say my CPU is somehow damaged, bugged or overheating and it doesn't preform as well it should. Let's assume all that to be true for a moment.

How would you explain this buggy i7 giving me constant 60 FPS and maintaining those 60 FPS as the game begins to stutter? Doesn't that seem mysterious to you? I'll add even more to that mystery by saying that when I turn V-sync off, my FPS goes past 120. And in case that is not enough I will also tell you that all the stuttering I get disappears when V-sync is disabled.

Does any of that indicates to you that my CPU is not preforming well enough? Doesn't it seem more plausible that this is simply an issue being caused by double buffering behaving as it was designed to behave?

One last thing. I asked Glen about this and he just replied saying Warframe uses double buffering.

Lets say I agree with you. Let's say my i7 is not enough to run the game without stuttering. Even better, let's say my CPU is somehow damaged, bugged or overheating and it doesn't preform as well it should. Let's assume all that to be true for a moment.

How would you explain this buggy i7 giving me constant 60 FPS and maintaining those 60 FPS as the game begins to stutter? Doesn't that seem mysterious to you? I'll add even more to that mystery by saying that when I turn V-sync off, my FPS goes past 120. And in case that is not enough I will also tell you that all the stuttering I get disappears when V-sync is disabled.

Does any of that indicates to you that my CPU is not preforming well enough? Doesn't it seem more plausible that this is simply an issue being caused by double buffering behaving as it was designed to behave?

One last thing. I asked Glen about this and he just replied saying Warframe uses double buffering.

Check you video settings in the nvidia control panel.

Please check you nvidia control panel v sync setting. 

Warframe does not deal well with v sync enabled in both nvidia control panel and in the game display options.

Please try enabling one/disabling the other and report back the results.

What worked best in my testing was nvidia adaptive sync enabled in nvidia control panel, v sync set to 'off' in warframe display settings.

Edited by Pythadragon

[...]

What worked best in my testing was nvidia adaptive sync enabled in nvidia control panel, v sync set to 'off' in warframe display settings.

My driver setting for V-sync was on default, which is "Warframe decides". I changed it to adaptive, ran the game with in-game V-sync disabled and no FPS limit. The driver was able to cap my framerate at 60 without problems. FPS behaved the exact same way it does when using Warframe's V-sync.

As for the stuttering, it seems to be just a little better with the driver then it is with Warframe's V-sync. But I still need to do more missions in order to make a better comparison.

To anyone willing to try this: remember you need to run the game at fullscreen. The driver V-sync doesn't kick in on borderless or windowed mode.

Edited by Amazerath

After some more testing i decided to show that stuttering when using V-Sync. In game i went solo t4 survival. I started recording movements with bandicam without setting alarm. So what i undestand there was no enemies spawned at that point. FPS was solid 59-60 but this awfull stuttering was there still. When i stopped recording and went to watch new videofiles i was amazed IN VIDEO WAS NO MAJOR STUTTERING. Someone smarter with computors could answer why. The picture was not smooth as it used to be with my previous computor but it was not hurting my eyes.

Addons to list ive tried:

I normally have HDMI cable between pc and monitor.

I changed to VGA, still not fluid movements.

I changed to DVI ->HDMI adapter->HDMI, still not fluid movements.

I was thinking to go shop and buy DVI cable and try it, but....

Oh man im just so amazed and depressed because my old rig could run this game pretty good and it was just mediocre set and now i have good gaming set (not top, just good) and i cant play this. I can play GTA 5 with almost max graphic options in 1080p and it looks amazing, i can play Dargon Age Inquisition with maximum graphics and it looks amazin. In fact i havent bumped in game that has this much trouble with my set than WF....

Im out of options, and im out of game until this problem fixes itself...

Edited by Jumalauta

[...]

Im out of options, and im out of game until this problem fixes itself...

I can't really tell you why the recording looks ok and the actual game doesn't. But I'm guessing these video capture software pull information straight from the source, bypassing any problems created by V-sync or displays. They probably don't record footage in the same way a camera placed in front of your screen would.

About the "Old PC vs. New PC" thing, please consider that the game we play today is not the same game we played a few months or years ago. Warframe has changed a lot. So even your old PC could still be getting these stuttering problems today if you were still using it. Just something to consider.

Lastly, like I said before, I don't think the stuttering can be completely fixed unless V-sync is turned off. But I'm not an expert so I don't think you should just give up. Still, at this point you probably have a better chance of fixing this if you contact the support guys directly. It will be some time until you get a useful reply, but I still think it is the best option you have. At least you'll be dealing with experts over there.

I can't really tell you why the recording looks ok and the actual game doesn't. But I'm guessing these video capture software pull information straight from the source, bypassing any problems created by V-sync or displays. They probably don't record footage in the same way a camera placed in front of your screen would.

About the "Old PC vs. New PC" thing, please consider that the game we play today is not the same game we played a few months or years ago. Warframe has changed a lot. So even your old PC could still be getting these stuttering problems today if you were still using it. Just something to consider.

Lastly, like I said before, I don't think the stuttering can be completely fixed unless V-sync is turned off. But I'm not an expert so I don't think you should just give up. Still, at this point you probably have a better chance of fixing this if you contact the support guys directly. It will be some time until you get a useful reply, but I still think it is the best option you have. At least you'll be dealing with experts over there.

Allright then. Ill contact support about this. I let you know what they say. Thanks all ppl who tried to solve this problem.

Ps. Fallout 4 is coming ;)

Edited by Jumalauta

Allright. I contacted Support and send them logs as asked.

DE Nate checked those and noticed my launcher settings doing some trouble.

He asked me to uncheck dx10, dx11, multi-thread thingy and 64-bit thingy.

I didnt think those would help because i allready had tested with/without those options...

BUT miracle happened!

I tested Void few times and image was solid and smooth. Even FPS did not drop from 100+.

I have capped my FPS to 120 because screen tearing in bigger frame rates.

Next im going to test with V-Sync which caused horrible stuttering (or jitter, ive learned)

Ill report results here when ive done that.

Edit. report after turning v-sync on. No stuttering/jitter, just smoothness.

Edited by Jumalauta

Just to support the OP on this, I was running Warframe with 75+ fps but for some reason the last day or so I'll have games where I'm at 40FPS and others below 15FPS. Other games work perfectly fine so it seems to be with just Warframe.

CPU: i5 2320

GPU: Radeon 7850

RAM: 8GB

Holy S#&$... This is the last kind of thread I was hoping to see as I come back from my warframe hiatus.

Played for years, got sick of "New content" being developed over basic functionality...

But THIS! Even if OP was an incompetent boob, A GTX 970 should more than pick up the slack at the LEAST. Just look at its 3dMark score and try and say that this game SHOULDN'T run smooth as buttered silk, and I'll show you a liar and a fool.

Just to add, a AAA title that has you disable DX11, even more so DX10 is NOT a AAA game. How happy would everyone be if we applied this same troubleshooting to all the games we play when they have issues... You think they'd get better?

Disabling effects is a band-aid, NOT A FIX!

It's a pain killer for a broken arm. Everyone knows you can't hug your children with broken mangled rheumatic arms.

Just to add, a AAA title that has you disable DX11, even more so DX10 is NOT a AAA game. How happy would everyone be if we applied this same troubleshooting to all the games we play when they have issues... You think they'd get better?

Disabling effects is a band-aid, NOT A FIX!

It's a pain killer for a broken arm. Everyone knows you can't hug your children with broken mangled rheumatic arms.

Only three people here were actually reporting and discussing their performance problems: Storm-Surge (OP), me and Jumalauta. The others were mostly trying to help us or provide additional information.

Storm-Surge is no longer posting, so I don't know if his problem was fixed or not. I'm assuming it was.

Jumalauta contacted support and they fixed his problem. He doesn't seem unhappy with the solution and I think he can switch back to DX11 and 64-bit if he wants to. If it was just a configuration problem or corrupted file then it will be ok.

Lastly, my problem is far more specific then theirs. I spoke to someone at DE about it and the response I got was reasonable. I didn't get a miraculous fix, but then again my problem is not as serious as the other two presented in this thread.

Now then, are you having any sort of performance problems of your own? Because in your posts you didn't mention any.

Aaand im back with bad news (for me anyway).

I was too fast to judge supports solutions for my stutter/low fps problems. Though with those options my performance in some maps greatly improved they didnt fully take issues away in some other maps. So i started to tinker options again. And after several tests in many maps with different graphic options i have found out settings which removes stuttering and keeps fps in good amounts without sacrificing too much eye candy.

In launcher options:

Full-screen OFF (in game menu i have borderless fullscreen)

DirectX 10 and 11 ON

64-Bit Mode OFF

Bulk Download ON

Agressive Download ON

Multi-Threaded Rendering ON

Launcher GPU Accelration OFF

In Game options:

Resolution 1920x1080

V-sync OFF

FPS cap 120

Borderless Fullscreen ON

And rest of options On or HIgh

Except Motion Blur, Weapon Trail, Depth of Field, color correction and Bloom.

Also:

Disabled antivirus scans while playing (excluded warframe folders)

Changed warframe.exe priority to Realtime in task manager

With these settings i have no stuttering and FPS has been over 60.

Edited by Jumalauta

• 2 weeks later...