Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question Of The Lore Of Prime Frames.

thedrag0n22

Hello all! I honestly don't know if this is the right spot... if its not I'm sorry. But I was wondering something. The Prime warframes are Orokin warframes correct? or better put Orokin MADE right? Well.... wouldn't that mean by lore the starter frames should have been prime? Considering they went into cryo sleep directly after the time the Orokin stopped existing? I mean, I know the clear game play answer. But I wanted to know if there was a proper answer in the lore as to why there exist non Orokin made warframes.

We know a lot about the Primes but actually not a lot about the regular versions of things. We assume that the weapons were made by Tenno awoken and trying to recapture the weapons we lost. For Warframes... it's much more ambiguous. My best guess, personally, is that this is not the first time we've awoken since the Orokin fell. And when that event happened, whatever it was, most of the Primes were lost and they began trying to recreate copies of their fallen to continue the Tenno. Then those copies were frozen and we awoke in the current conflict. That's only a theory, though.

The primes were the originals. Many slightly inferior versions were built off of those primes, which is what we use.

How many primes were made? And would the Orokin, in desperation not be able to produce more of that quality? it seems strange to me to resort to lesser quality when you have at the very least a whole solar system of production power.

We know a lot about the Primes but actually not a lot about the regular versions of things. We assume that the weapons were made by Tenno awoken and trying to recapture the weapons we lost. For Warframes... it's much more ambiguous. My best guess, personally, is that this is not the first time we've awoken since the Orokin fell. And when that event happened, whatever it was, most of the Primes were lost and they began trying to recreate copies of their fallen to continue the Tenno. Then those copies were frozen and we awoke in the current conflict. That's only a theory, though.

That sounds very plausible. Thank you for giving me something to ponder XD

How many primes were made? And would the Orokin, in desperation not be able to produce more of that quality? it seems strange to me to resort to lesser quality when you have at the very least a whole solar system of production power.

Wars are very taxing. Why make a handful of strong ornate frames when you can make hundreds of very very slightly inferior ones?

There's also a theory that the primes were the originals not just as frames, but as characters. So there was a first excalibur pilot, a first nyx, a first nova etc. and all the tenno wearing non-primes came after those originals.

This of course raises questions as to why squads can have multiple of the same prime, but player character continuity has never been easy to tackle in multiplayer games without ruining something. Like how everyone in WoW can be the chosen one or something.

Wars are very taxing. Why make a handful of strong ornate frames when you can make hundreds of very very slightly inferior ones?

There's also a theory that the primes were the originals not just as frames, but as characters. So there was a first excalibur pilot, a first nyx, a first nova etc. and all the tenno wearing non-primes came after those originals.

This of course raises questions as to why squads can have multiple of the same prime, but player character continuity has never been easy to tackle in multiplayer games without ruining something. Like how everyone in WoW can be the chosen one or something.

If you mean theory as in the correct usage of the word theory that states the information is known to be factually correct and proven to be true as best we can know it to be true, then yes. Lore proves they were originally specific individuals. The original Limbo died the first time he used Rift Walk. The Lotus basically sent the original Mirage on a suicide mission and she died there.

Edited by Ceryk

If I understand the Lore correctly... the Prime weapons and Frames were made to Upgrade what were used in order to fight the Sentients. Simple mechanics, no high tech stuff (wouldn't stand a chance against Sentients) but with an upgrade...

EDIT: Also remember that the Tenno, puts on, or wears the frames and not that the Tenno is the frame itself. 

Edited by (PS4)AngelShur

Both the blurb on the Ether Swords and the Corrupted Ancient Synthesis entry suggest that there was a notable period _after_ the fall of the Orokin where the Tenno were active before going into cryo. It's not unreasonable to assume that during this period the Tenno needed to become capable of manufacturing Warframes themselves to replace damage and to expand the utility of their ranks (by allowing existing Tenno to use different Warframes). The Crewman Synthesis entry stated that the Origin system was lacking in resources, to me this suggests that the Tenno would not have valued the extravagant resource consumption required to build the Prime Warframes, hence refining the design to a balance of ability as resource cost would have been a priority when every Orokin cell or Forma was a limited resource that may not be replaceable.

There aren't really any solid evidence on why there are several versions of frames, i.e. standard, Primes, Umbras.

Though, it's a possibility that the Primes were the frames worn by the original Tennos / Or reserved as for higher-ranked Tennos. While the Standard frames were just your regular industrialized mass-produced for the clones of the original Tennos, or low-ranked Tennos.

The way I think of it is like this:-

You have your original, very first Tenno made from the Orokin experiments and trained in the old ways, each with their set of distinct Void superpowers.  They had the first frames built for them, which were the Prime frames.  In that case the Tenno in the frame was called "Ember", "Volt", etc.  The frames didn't have names at that point, only the Tenno did.

Then later, as more Tenno are produced for the war effort, they get mass produced, slightly cheaper versions of the frames, and even later, some original frames are built later that had no Prime versions. 

Frames modelled after the originals, and used by Tenno with the same superpowers, are now called "Ember", "Volt", etc., eponymously (like "Hoover" became the name of vacuum cleaners, even though it was specific to one company originally).