Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could Stalker Be A Literal Ghost?

PoopManZ

With the vine showcasing I see a part of Stalker, it seems like hes gonna be involved with the Second Dream. Lately, I was thinking about him and the codex entry. Not sure of the Stalker discussions, but Ill just put down my thoughts.

"Some have walked these desolate worlds while you have slept. Some like me. I remember what you did. I remember the day...Now I hunt, dividing your numbers. Watching from that dark place, cataloging your sins, I am the ghost of retribution. You may forget but you are not innocent."

Could Stalker be referring to himself not as an individual, but a collective sentiment from a sect of people? The Guardians?

I watched from a distance, with the rest of the low Guardians. 

The Dread of seeing their leaders fall before them, the Despair they think of the impending fall of the empire and the Hate festering they have to the Tenno. The tools,  the weapons of the Tenno ghost of retribution.

Tools, but also emotions that the Guardians felt. They most likely did not act as spectators to the slaughter, but these emotions also may have been made ten-fold to their own demise at the Tenno. I doubt they would simply stand there and look on, most likely playing the role of the first post-Old War combatants the Tenno faces, our proto-Bosses, or the very least, the proto-Mooks. The three weapons carry emotions that many people could carry into the afterlife and allow retribution to those who have been wronged. Maybe the Stalker, wasn't just a single Guardian that went on a revenge vow and somehow got to survive all this time (and get superpowers). The Void is capable of resurrection, maybe it resurrected the spirits of all the Guardians and the pain/hatred they felt on their dying breaths in an ethereal form we know that is Stalker? Remade in a similar body that felled them. A literal ghost of retribution? The Guardians came back with a bone to pick, but not only that but stronger, invulnerable to Warframe powers. (Sorta sounds like how the Sentient worked)

Stalker may be a revenant for the low Guardians and slain Orokin, from the deaths of the Empire and the Guardians, he is given life. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenants_in_fiction

Watching from that dark place, cataloging your sins, I am the ghost of retribution. You may forget but you are not innocent."

That dark place seems to mean the same place both of us came from, in general from the Victory Ceremony, the Terminus, now desolate, "dark" in the void. 

Assassination of any individual with power calls the Stalker, (The only boss who will not call Stalker is Corrupted Vor, who has received the resurrection treatment, killing Vor on Phobos can get you marked, although paired with Kril. A revenant would have no qualms about dying, since they know they can just reshape and come back) perhaps the same sentiment felt those Guardians, are felt by the bosses we kill. Even the Infested hive mind can experience emotion. And that is what draws out the Stalker from what ever they are floating around in (Void?) They call out for retribution, revenge and the Stalker answers. We may quickly forget about the individuals we assassinate but we carry out the sins of the Dread, Despair and Hate we make the bosses feel on their death, the same we made the Guardians feel. We are not innocent of that. 

Edited by PoopManZ

How does darvo fit into all of this then, he once had us purposefully draw out the stalker to get him off his back.

We're pretty sure the Darvo/Stalker event was born out of a community in-joke (Darvo offered a 20% off sale on the "What Stalker?" bundle, and Stalker got mad at him)

It's more likely that they are another Tenno from the old war, fighting against you considering you now align with a sentient. Just saying.

Except Stalker deliberately goes out of his way to point out he's not a Tenno

How does darvo fit into all of this then, he once had us purposefully draw out the stalker to get him off his back.

What I am saying is, he's a literal Ghost but is still very physically existing as an individual, he's just ethereal. He's the physical embodiment of the souls of the Guardians resurrected by what I assume the Void, just like Vor was. How he manages to escape the Lotus may very well be the lead into the next quest. And maybe what ever he did, had to have been Tenno-related (unless literally selling the Stalker pack made Stalker himself feel those emotions) and he managed to call him out towards Darvo, inadvertently marking himself.

Edited by PoopManZ

What I am saying is, he's a literal Ghost but is still very physically existing as an individual, he's just ethereal. He's physical embodiment of the souls of the Guardians resurrected by what I assume the Void, just like Vor was. How he manages to escape the Lotus may very well be the lead into the next quest.

spooky I like it.

I know this. It isn't the only community based joke that is becoming actual lore, look at clem and upcoming derf anyo.

Basically, I have two theories:

1) Stalker doesn't like Darvo selling Dread/Hate/Despair in the first place. Stalker doesn't avenge Captain Vor during the Mercury boss fight, which leaves you wondering: why? Is borrowing and misappropriating Orokin weaponry (as opposed to reverse-engineering it) really that grave an offense in Stalker's eyes? If so, Darvo selling the weapons of Low Guardians might be reason enough, maybe

2) Stalker was quite literally offended at the discount Darvo was giving out. Sounds petty, I know

Basically, I have two theories:

1) Stalker doesn't like Darvo selling Dread/Hate/Despair in the first place. Stalker doesn't avenge Captain Vor during the Mercury boss fight, which leaves you wondering: why? Is borrowing and misappropriating Orokin weaponry (as opposed to reverse-engineering it) really that grave an offense in Stalker's eyes? If so, Darvo selling the weapons of Low Guardians might be reason enough, maybe

2) Stalker was quite literally offended at the discount Darvo was giving out. Sounds petty, I know

Definitely reason 2.

He has a flair for the dramatic, like nearly everyone else in the Warframe universe. I doubt he's a ghost.

Whose to say ghosts can't have a flair for the dramatic? Vor came back completely bonkers. I doubt having hatred revenge sentiments and being brought back via Void workings would make someone not-dramatic. 

Edited by PoopManZ

As much as the theory sounds good, the darvo event with the "what stalker?" pack proved he's teal. Darvo even pointed it out once you defeated him

It only proved he's real insomuch that he's not an urban legend, not a hallucination. He could still very well be undead

Edited by TARINunit9

As much as the theory sounds good, the darvo event with the "what stalker?" pack proved he's teal. Darvo even pointed it out once you defeated him

What I am saying is, he's a literal Ghost but is still very physically existing as an individual, he's just ethereal. He's the physical embodiment of the souls of the Guardians resurrected by what I assume the Void, just like Vor was. How he manages to escape the Lotus may very well be the lead into the next quest. And maybe what ever he did, had to have been Tenno-related (unless literally selling the Stalker pack made Stalker himself feel those emotions) and he managed to call him out towards Darvo, inadvertently marking himself.

A ghost/undead in the same way Corrupted Vor is. I am not stating the Tenno hallucinate him.

Edited by PoopManZ

There have been so many bat**** theories this week. a Ghost who drops gear, can be hit and hit you, and sends e-mails.....sure.

Again, not in the typical Ghost ghost sense. We have a man who was chopped in half and got revived by a key of Void magic (a Grineer revenant). And zombie space robots, and a zombie spaceship. I don't see how an Orokin revenant created by the Void would be insane in the Warframe universe. 

Edited by PoopManZ