Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rush To Boss/rush To Extraction Criticism

Tangerine

How about instead of rewarding normal gameplay or incentivizing exploration, punishment be considered?

not punishment in the sense of losing something material (if pixels can be material) but punishment in the sense of being categorized in a different part of the matchmaking system, like LoL does with their players that leave alot- just put them in nothing but games with other rushers.

For example- I'm in a game with three people. I'm a rhino, and my team is an ember and a saryn. The saryn and I will keep pace with each other easily, but the ember being a faster class has more incentive to rush ahead, killing monsters and reaping exp while we get nothing. Players would be able to be reported for rushing if half of the team is not within three cells of his current location. Once reported, they get kicked from the game into solo mode, and from then on for a week he can only join games with other rushers. This way, groups of two rushers can easily be removed from the game, because honestly they are the most problematic kind of rushers. The rushers are no longer an issue and the non rushers still get categorized with non rushers. No one really gets hurt except for the rusher, which is kinda the point.

Another idea would be to dramatically increase the damage done by all enemies when in a group match, making teamwork and cover vital to survival. No @(*()$ with the drop rate, no nerfing any particular warframe, just buffing the enemies to make rushing less attractive. Not only would this slow the pace of the game, decreasing item flow into the economy, but it would actually make every player better, because they're being pushed to their limits constantly to survive and conquer.

These are just ideas in the rough, but the rushing epidemic is making me want to quit warframe. It's fun sometimes, but I can't even play how I want to because there is ALWAYS one or two players rushing. I love warframe, I really do. But when i can't play how I want, it becomes not fun anymore. Warframe is not fun anymore.

TLDR: Rushers have ruined the game. We dont need to reward people, but punish people. enough is enough.

Thing about the game is that you will always have rushers, and you will always have explorers. Both are entirely valid forms of playstyles, and not exclusive to one player. Someone could have his days where he wants to rush, and days where he wants to explore. Punishing one form of playstyle by limiting him to that specific playstyle would actively discourage it as well as instigate negativity in the playerbase that enjoy both rushing and exploring. Think of it as a Venn's diagram.

I genuinely think, as someone else said in this thread, that one specific playstyle shouldn't be discouraged but rather the other be encouraged. Give people more incentive to explore, rather than bringing down the whip on those who don't. For Warframe right now, there's no reason to explore because the drops/rewards are dropped only by bosses or given at the end of the mission; everywhere else in the mission is 'filler' content. In my opinion, the way to rectify this would be making that filler content have it's own incentives to do (i.e. the points listed in the OP). Rare rooms, rare rewards, rare enemies, rare room conditions, things that give items with comparable quality to the boss drops or end of mission rewards.

There's also the fact that the game is pretty easy. Think of any dungeon crawler, the guy that forges ahead, alone, leaving his party alone is the one that dies first. There's no caution to take or reliance on your team mates in this game however, because you are a space god. This is personally my opinion, but the game's difficulty needs to be increased -along- with incentivizing exploration. Players need to help each other take down groups of enemies, or unlock secret passages to secret rooms (Your team mate needs help to open this door, for instance, except more complex). But then there are also the players who enjoy being a deathless killing machine, in which case that difficulty needs to be scaled accordingly to party size. The greater the difficulty, the greater the rewards. People who want to speedrun can solo it out, the people who want to explore and reap huge rewards can gather up together. 

I'm just throwing out ideas.

Edited by Tangerine

There's only one problem with this. It's too good of an idea. Giving players rewards they would have to otherwise grind for is a bad thing... Apparently. It would be nice to run across treasure rooms. It certinally would slow me down. And make me enjoy the game more since I can focus on playing it, not angerly running around every level trying to find RNG crap that does not drop.

These are interesting suggestions. I know this issue comes up a lot here, and one idea floating around here has been "Speed Run" vs "Explorer" as chosen "playstyle" flags by player. Players would be able to choose before matchmaking, so like-minded players will be partied together. Thanks for your detailed list of other options!

But if the game is a "explorer one" then there should be more "secret rooms" to find (and all of the goodies the OP proposed)

The game would add more secret rooms/secrets when the mission is an explorer one.

On the contrary, if you chose a speed run you get more money depending on how much time you took to finish the level.

So anyone could play as they want and be rewarded for it !

Edited by vieuxchat

Just don't call them "Speed Run," and "Explorer." Sounds to anti-fourth wall. Something mysterious and ninja-like would work better. Setting your "spirit" (current mood) on a new button on the opposite side of the "Play Now" button would work much more nicely. You could chose from...

• Wind: "Gotta go fast!"
  • Fire: Violently destroying absolutely everything.
  • Shadow: Stealth. Good luck.
  • Earth: Smashing crates and hording loots. IE: Exploring.

...and so on.

The queue would prioritize matching you with like-spirits. :-)

Edited by Lumireaver

Wind and earth are good.

Shadow isn't really an option at the moment as it's way too hard to be stealthy from th eget go up to the end (and it's loooooong)

Fire wouldn't be that good as you most of the time you kill roughly the same number of enemies in a mission. Or Fire would need you to shatter enemies, so you would need to land as many headshots as you can, kill enemies lying on the floor, kill with melee charged attack.

here's just one tiny bit of the problem [with daily contracts]:  Those people who rush can do the challenge separately.  So are you planing to make those doable or challenging?  If they are making it doable then the situation won't improve with or without that in place.  If it is meant to be challenging, almost all casual gamers won't even have the possibility of completing any of them because they'll take a large amount of time for even hardcore gamers to complete.  so if it is intended to cater a large audience, it won't, on a practical standpoint, have much effect on the rushing issue.

Edited by Stupid_Idiot

The one thing people forget, is that all there is to do in this game (at the moment, anyway) is farm. You start the game, you kill things. You gain materials. You use said materials to build cooler weapons, to go back and kill more things with, and wash/rinse/repeat. Then you get older, start farming bosses so you can get yourself a shiny new warframe, try some new abilities, maybe a new playstyle from what your first frame allowed/lent itself to. And this is what people are forgetting, when you're goal is progression in items, the means of getting there becomes obsolete. If all I want is a control module, so i can start my Dethcube, and then go to bed. I take the approach of "if it's in front of me, it dies, if not..meh." It's farming in the most efficient way for what you're looking for.

While I do it, i'm well aware (especially since I run maxed Thief's Wit on everyone I play) of what i'm missing out on when i do that already. I'm missing potential mod/resource drops from killing more of the mobs. I'm missing tons of containers from all over the map. We already are missing things when we do that, we don't necessarily need added things to be missed out on. We just weigh the perk of getting what we're missing (after probably farming for general materials for hours before, mind you), ahead of taking our sweet ole time through the map, to get the general loot that we had spent the past few hours doing to begin with. 

I understand the frustration, as sometimes you're on your first run-through of the mission or something (though most of them seem to be the same, still. Not that that's a bad thing, just pointing it out, it is still a relatively small game, in beta, keep that in mind), and you're listening to Lotus, and following the quest markers, and killing all of the guys you see...and these people are just running forever ahead of you, and killing a few things, and then waiting at the end. But give it a few weeks, perhaps a bit longer. But eventually, you'll realize that the game is nothing but farming (again, for now, i know they're working on it, and I have no problem waiting for it to happen), and you'll be joining them. Because when you're getting 40-80 Circuits per mission, and you need to farm up 35,000 of them...you start to lose the patience of spending 20-30 minutes on each mission.

I think this is one thing I have noticed since I have been playing Warframe that the reward does not fit the work you have to do. I know this has been beaten to death but a good example of this is defense missions that go really high are poorly compensated for the work done. 

I'll stop rushing bosses when I don't have to kill them 60 to 70 times to get a new frame.

I also approve of the OP but it wont mean a damn to me if the only way to progress is to speedrun as fast as you can as many times as you can.

Edited by Skeloton

The point here, is why?

we rush boss because ONLY the boss drops what we want. You want X suit? enjoy your boss kills. 

The only way you could avoid this is if you either A) increased the drop rate, or B) allowed the parts to be purchasable with IG$.

Scout, Assassin, Expediter, Hunter/Forager/Scavenger I think would make excellent names for flags to set on a player. They should not necessarily be mutually exclusive and perhaps could be visible to other players as some sort of indicator of preferred load-out as well

Scout - Lotus chooses you for mission because you leave no door unopened, and no passage way untraced, no hallway unwalked.
Assassin - You are loaded to kill. You prefer a target rich environment. If a Target enters your vision, it will die. Your load-out might included Enemy Sense
Expediter - Your Goal is to see the mission done. Quickly. As quickly as possible. Your Load-out might include, Rush, Marathon, Quick Rest.
Hunter/Forager/Scavenger - Recognizing the logistical need of reclaiming what can be grabbed from the battlefield, you leave no stone un-turned, no locker unopened and no storage container unbroken for credits and resources. Your Load-out might included Locksmith and Item Rader

Decrease the chance of rare mat drops from bosses?

Nononononononononononononnonononnononnononnonononnononno.

It's a horrible enough drop rate as is, not to mention the new research mats made things even worse.

NONONONONONO.

DE_Steve has said that this is ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE. For Control Modules, Hyena has a 25% chance of dropping it Before and After U8. To add the new resource in, they cut Ferrite's chance from 77% down to 39% or something like that and gave the rest of that to the Research Material.

Honestly.

You'd think a Dev posting actual code in the forums would be known by everybody as Devs very rarely do that in any game.

The point here, is why?

we rush boss because ONLY the boss drops what we want. You want X suit? enjoy your boss kills. 

The only way you could avoid this is if you either A) increased the drop rate, or B) allowed the parts to be purchasable with IG$.

Uh, right now, I kill bosses for Control Modules/Neurodes/Neural Sensors FAR more often than I kill them for Warframe BPs.

Because, doing 1 mission and having a 25% chance of getting one is way better than doing an entire solar map of non-boss missions and not seeing a single one because it is only 2.5% chance from anything else.