Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Amd Cpu Better For Tps Games?

Noioiy

Hello everyone.

On my last thread I asked for peoples opinion on a build I was planning to get. But after looking around the internet for a while I read people saying that AMD CPU are better for third person gaming, whereas Intel CPU are better for FPS games. Something about Intel having better render time than AMD but AMD has more power and in turn brings out better quality.

Is this true? If it is, then I would lean towards AMD because I love third person games. Warframe is my most played games ever and when I'm not playing warframe I'm either looking for hangs with third person perspective or playing some TPS title.

On my last thread I was considering getting an i5 4690k 3.5 GHz quad core CPU. But now AMD FX 8350 and FX 8320 is on the list.

Help out a poor fellow tenno who has been running on 800x600 for 2 years ;c

Bad idea to start an ADM/Intel holy war.

I'll only say that I'm using Core i5 4690k and I feel perfectly fine.

Ummm...

I'm not trying to start a war o.o

The world has seen enough violence already, and I got no plans to add to it c:

I was just asking if what I read was actually true. Yes I know that AMD users would say AMD is better and Intel users would say Intel is.

I guess someone who have used CPU from both manufacturers would know.

I really hope this doesn't starts any war cause I won't be able to live with myself then.

The "type" of game is irrelevant. 

If you can fit it in the budget, go with Intel, they perform better all round. However, that doesn't make AMD's bad CPU's - As some people like to point out.

Where an AMD CPU comes out stronger is when doing lots of integer calculation, so server and science based stuff..... Games generally lean on Floating point performance, and the AMD architecture is a bit funny with its construction.

If you go with Intel, the 4690K is a great chip.

If you go with AMD, the 8320 is also a great chip since overclocking it to 8350 spec is achievable on almost any 8320 by simply bumping up the multiplier. However, if you plan on doing very big overclocks, obviously go with the 8350.

Hope that helps, and congrats on getting a new PC.

I would personally say to try and stretch for a i7. An intel with more cores is a great choice, and will pay you back in future as we move forward with games that require more cores. However, failing that, i would say go for the i5.

I've extensively used both, My current machine being an AMD FX-8350 OC'd to 4.7ghz, with a GTX 770 Factory OC'd. It runs butter smooth absolutely always. Most modern games are much more focused on your Video card than your processor, So your CPU shouldn't make nearly as much difference. Ive played quite a bit on both AMD and Intel, and have seen no difference as long as the same video card is used.

Overall, AMD is better for Overclocking, Intel has better CPU Architecture, But you will likely only see the difference in applications that will seriously tax your processor. I usually go for AMD simply because it is better value for the power, but Intel makes a better, longer lasting chip. So it really doesn't matter in the end.

Both processors seem the same to me in spec wise except the 3.5 vs 4.0 or what ever it was and the price range. I have been using the i5 2500k processor and have not experience any type of problem up to now. I would be more incline to say choose the company that made the processor that you have in your computer if your current processor have not given you any type of trouble.

Edit: Also you poor poor soul. Soon you will know what it is to have smaller icons on your desktop.

Edited by Dewsitine

The type of game is really irrelevant, its the optimization and how the game uses CPU and GPU.

To summarize: Buy AMD CPU if you are on a budget, or go for the i5-i7 if you want to do some other productivity like editing or some 3d software or just have a bigger budget.

Edited by Ognj

My Fx 8350 cpu runs both FPS and TPS games with zero issues and that's without any over clocking. Why the game type is doesn't matter. I've always liked AMD personally (sadly my Linux professor who is an Intel fanboy crushes my happiness whenever I mention AMD ;-;) but like the others have said, go with AMD on a budget, go with Intel for multiple uses aside from gaming.

Thank you everyone, for taking your time and explaining this to me. Much love!

I think (still haven't made up my mind really) I have decided to go with FX 8350

I have no plans to overclock really, not yet anyways. That's the reason I picked the 8350 over the 8320

Now all I need to pick is the GPU and I really don't know if I should go for nVidia or AMD here. I have been using a Geforce 210 (heh), and it has served me well (for the price).

You guys certainly know a lot about these things so maybe you can help me pick a GPU? I was thinking about getting a 2GB GDDR5 GPU but maybe I should go for 4GB instead?

Yes, I am on a budget (that's why I chose 8350) and I can only go up to 230 USD.

A GPU that wouldn't be bottlenecked by the FX 8350

I'm so very sorry for asking you guys to help me out like this and look things up. But I'm learning new things everyday! (I think)

If you are going with AMD for CPU, definitely go with Nvidia for GPU.

AMD GPU's are great cards, but for whatever reason, their drivers are quite bad (objectively - they still run games perfectly fine). Being very single threaded in nature, the AMD CPU's with their not as good single threaded performance really struggles to get the most out of them.

The most popular Nvidia GPU's are the 960, and 970. Really only a matter of cost tbh.

If you go with an Intel CPU, you can look at some of the higher end AMD GPU's - R9 380, etc.

However, regardless of CPU, i would probably recommend Nvidia for the aforementioned Driver woes from AMD.

EDIT:

Warframe had an issue with AMD cards due to their drivers for example:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/433642-crashes-on-amd-catalyst-1412-omega-update/

Edited by MillbrookWest

If you are going with AMD for CPU, definitely go with Nvidia for GPU.

AMD GPU's are great cards, but for whatever reason, their drivers are quite bad (objectively - they still run games perfectly fine). Being very single threaded in nature, the AMD CPU's with their not as good single threaded performance really struggles to get the most out of them.

The most popular Nvidia GPU's are the 960, and 970. Really only a matter of cost tbh.

If you go with an Intel CPU, you can look at some of the higher end AMD GPU's - R9 380, etc.

However, regardless of CPU, i would probably recommend Nvidia for the aforementioned Driver woes from AMD.

EDIT:

Warframe had an issue with AMD cards due to their drivers for example:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/433642-crashes-on-amd-catalyst-1412-omega-update/

^ Exactly this. Since GPUs are the most important thing now, Go for nVidia. They are the exact same as Intel vs AMD, except this time you are going to want to spend the bit extra money and go for the nVidia card, so it will last longer. That is NOT to say AMD doesnt make good Video cards, I just have more faith in nVidia, and always have really.

Use the money you save with going with the AMD processor, and get the best nVidia card you can afford :)

Thank you for your response c:

Now all that's left is to pick an edgy atx cabinet and shove all those expensive parts in.

Thank you (all of you) <3 so very much for all your help and advise!

Choosing a case, pay attention to its right panel. It should have a grid to fit at least 120mm fan at the GPU level to provide fresh air for the GPU. Also, if the GPU is too broad (in breadth, not in length), there might be not enough space to fit the fan.

Edited by Bouldershoulder