The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Between Extra Dmg And Extra Elemental Dmg...

Renseiryuu

Question

Let's say in melee, i have:

- Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike (220% DMG)

- Molten Impact, North Wind, Shocking Touch, Virulent Scourge (2 x 180% combined elemental)

Of course it would be more logical to just put both types and let it "mix" together. But let's just say that I want to put other mods such as Fury, True Steel, Berserker, Life Strike, etc (just hypothetical). I must let go some of those mods, so my question is...

Which one would be better? Pure extra DMG or elemental DMG? Note: This is without considering the faction for elemental.

15 answers to this question

Can I just put 4 90% elemental mods into it, and skip pressure point+spoiled strike in favor of another mod such as fury, true steel+berserker, and life strike?

better off using 2-3 Elementals and still using Pressure Point.

don't ever go without your standard Damage Mod and 2 Elementals. ever.

Edit:

I modded my Obex for maximum speed: Pressure Point+Spoiled Strike, Fury+True Steel+Berserker, Life Strike, Heavy Impact. Currently I'm experimenting with Shattering Impact for the last slot, but I might change it to elemental in favor for more damage.

So, what do you think? Should I put more elemental into my Obex instead of focusing only on Pressure Point+Spoiled Strike?

Spoiled Strike means you don't have maximum speed.

replacing Spoiled Strike and Heavy Impact with 2 Elementals will result in you dealing multiplicatively higher Damage.

you need the Elemental Damage + standard Damage increase.

Edited by taiiat

That would depend on the weapon's native damage types and status chance.

For low status chance weapons that deal high physical damage, you're better off investing in physical damage mods, particularly the damage type the weapon emphasizes (puncture, slash, impact), whereas if the weapon has an innate elemental damage and/or high status chance, the "elemental status" mods (mods that increase both elemental damage and status chance) are the best bet IMO.

Weapons with a high crit chance can also benefit from a physical damage focus, so long as you also invest in the crit aspect of it.

Let's say in melee, i have:

- Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike (220% DMG)

- Molten Impact, North Wind, Shocking Touch, Virulent Scourge (2 x 180% combined elemental)

Of course it would be more logical to just put both types and let it "mix" together. But let's just say that I want to put other mods such as Fury, True Steel, Berserker, Life Strike, etc (just hypothetical). I must let go some of those mods, so my question is...

Which one would be better? Pure extra DMG or elemental DMG? Note: This is without considering the faction for elemental.

Actually pure damage mods upgrade your elementals as well. It increases the effectiveness of the elements mod you listed

Hmm, lately I'm playing with Mios. 15% critical chance and 25% status chance.

Can I just put 4 90% elemental mods into it, and skip pressure point+spoiled strike in favor of another mod such as fury, true steel+berserker, and life strike?

No, since Pressure Point increases the elemental damage mods' damage as well

You CAN, but True Steel and Berserker won't be all that useful on just 15%. I'd advise replacing for something else. But if you want to do it, then sure, you can.

I wouldn't recommend doing so, Pressure Point is pretty much a staple on melee weaponry. Modding Elementals also varies depending where you typically use the weapon - different combos have different advantages over different factions. For the Mios - try Pressure Point, the staple Critical mods, and the elemental status mods. Of course, it's all about preference :P

Edited by (PS4)Artesianss

No, since Pressure Point increases the elemental damage mods' damage as well

I wouldn't recommend doing so, Pressure Point is pretty much a staple on melee weaponry. Modding Elementals also varies depending where you typically use the weapon - different combos have different advantages over different factions. For the Mios - try Pressure Point, the staple Critical mods, and the elemental status mods. Of course, it's all about preference :P

Ah, that's right. Hmm, let me put another example then. What about Obex? 25% critical chance and 10% status chance.

I modded my Obex for maximum speed: Pressure Point+Spoiled Strike, Fury+True Steel+Berserker, Life Strike, Heavy Impact. Currently I'm experimenting with Shattering Impact for the last slot, but I might change it to elemental in favor for more damage.

So, what do you think? Should I put more elemental into my Obex instead of focusing only on Pressure Point+Spoiled Strike?

Ah, that's right. Hmm, let me put another example then. What about Obex? 25% critical chance and 10% status chance.

Well, Shattering Impact is not that good. Also, Fury can be ommited since Berserker gonna give you enough

lose the spoiled strike and you'll have an even faster build, and have 2 slots freed up for a combined element. (i'd suggest blast for maximum spastic ragdolling fun)

Edited by rapt0rman

Just experimenting to know whether Shattering Impact is truly "worthless" or not XD.

unfortunately, it's pretty meh.

the description is pretty vague as to what it truly means - but it doesn't do very much.

not viable IMO.

even if it is a Melee that deals ANY Impact Damage reduces the base Armor by a flat value, meaning on every hit.... still going to take ages for it to provide much effect that you can notice.

could be useful against Lv500 Enemies... i guess. since we only realistically care about the Armor of Heavies, those are the ones that are 'hard' to Kill in the first place. :p

technically effective against Enemies that have very low Armor Ratings, but you'd only care against very high Level Enemies, and then those are kind've the least of you worries, the Heavies are far more of a problem!

I think the best use for SI is against high level *non*-heavies, like Lancers, as the armor reduction is a much higher percent - it removes 4% of their armor per hit, while against a gunner/bombard it only removes 1.2% of their armor. Unfortunately, at those level ranges where Lancers and the trash mods become tougher to kill, the heavies become nearly impossible so we want to be building to counter them.

I could see some value on a fast attacking weapon when you can also open heavies for Finishers, that way the finishers would deal with the heavies and SI would help with the lessers - but it's not all that practical.

I see the note in the OP, but it's worth mentioning that it's usually not a great idea to run with 4x 90% mods, as it limits your elemental choice, and the 4th element is not worth a lot of added damage (only +24% damage, when fury/smite is worth 30%). I would prefer to go, for example, Viral+Fire against unarmored grineer/void enemies, as opposed to Viral+Rad. You'd get similar damage but open up an extra slot.