Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Second Dream Spoilers] A Question For The Roleplaying Community

Morec0

I don't really much care what I have heard.

Because we should remember. Those who spoke in those now new line of thoughts created things. They might as well be lies or they thinks that Lotus is controlling us.

POTENTIAL, ALL THE POTENTIAL!

Personally, I feel like a compromise can be made in that it could be a dual mode system. What I mean is that it could either be person-in-armor or person-out-of-armor in any one mission.

This.

*headcanon time*

Since most of our characters are adults, we can say that once they grew up to their present age, they donned their Warframe.

That is just my head canon for my OC's BTW.

Edited by (PS4)batman200087

Yes, it has affected my head canon substantially for my character(s) and their respective backstories, and its been quite a brain exercise to figure out how to fit in the game's newly revealed lore without fundamentally changing everything I had planned out already.

Also everything I'm about to say next contains huge spoilers, but I imagine you wouldn't be in this thread if you didn't already beat the questline.

My working idea is that my characters believed they truly were people inside their Warframe suits. Every time they thought they were taking off their armor and revealing their faces, what they were really showing were psychic projections, caused by their own subconscious use of illusion powers similar to Mirage.

It's definitely pretty far-fetched, I know, but the Tenno orphan kids appear to have vaguely defined psychic mind powers that they can employ remotely through their Warframes, so at least it seems possible.

So when my Volt character, for example, takes off his helmet to give everyone a glimpse of his hideous visage, he never actually removed his helmet at all, his child Tenno self just automatically projected that illusion to convince everyone around him that he did (himself included).

I imagine this is something either the Lotus or the children themselves agreed to do before they went into amnesia comas, since any indication that they WEREN'T in fact inside their Warframes, and were instead being controlled remotely, would give their enemies hints that their true bodies were located elsewhere. This was a truth the Lotus likely would have kept hidden forever, even from the Tenno themselves, if the Sentients and the Stalker didn't find everything out.

The plan had flaws, of course. If a Warframe is killed and disconnected from the Tenno controlling it, the illusions can't be subconsciously transmitted anymore, which is why people like Alad V got so confused when they tried dissecting dead Warframes.

In addition, to fit the general size of their Warframes better, the illusions the children projected were usually just of their own face, but older. In some cases this could vary, for example I decided that my Vauban character, Rook, was actually being controlled by a Tenno girl, but the illusion she projected was that of a man because she actually believed herself to be male, because of the shape and gender of the Warframe she was controlling.

So anyways, tl;dr, they hid the truth from everyone, including themselves. And to do this they used complex ingrained mind powers to trick themselves into believing they had real human bodies inside their Warframes, which was supported by the illusions they subconsciously made whenever they took their armor off.

By using this idea, my Volt and most of my other characters can still maintain the backstory they had previously, they're just all in for a major mind-exploding revelation when they finally discover their true selves on the moon (hey, much like we did when we played that quest!)

If anyone else wants to use this theory for their own character backstories feel free. Sorry I barfed out so many words at once.

Yes, it has affected my head canon substantially for my character(s) and their respective backstories, and its been quite a brain exercise to figure out how to fit in the game's newly revealed lore without fundamentally changing everything I had planned out already.

Also everything I'm about to say next contains huge spoilers, but I imagine you wouldn't be in this thread if you didn't already beat the questline.

My working idea is that my characters believed they truly were people inside their Warframe suits. Every time they thought they were taking off their armor and revealing their faces, what they were really showing were psychic projections, caused by their own subconscious use of illusion powers similar to Mirage.

It's definitely pretty far-fetched, I know, but the Tenno orphan kids appear to have vaguely defined psychic mind powers that they can employ remotely through their Warframes, so at least it seems possible.

So when my Volt character, for example, takes off his helmet to give everyone a glimpse of his hideous visage, he never actually removed his helmet at all, his child Tenno self just automatically projected that illusion to convince everyone around him that he did (himself included).

I imagine this is something either the Lotus or the children themselves agreed to do before they went into amnesia comas, since any indication that they WEREN'T in fact inside their Warframes, and were instead being controlled remotely, would give their enemies hints that their true bodies were located elsewhere. This was a truth the Lotus likely would have kept hidden forever, even from the Tenno themselves, if the Sentients and the Stalker didn't find everything out.

The plan had flaws, of course. If a Warframe is killed and disconnected from the Tenno controlling it, the illusions can't be subconsciously transmitted anymore, which is why people like Alad V got so confused when they tried dissecting dead Warframes.

In addition, to fit the general size of their Warframes better, the illusions the children projected were usually just of their own face, but older. In some cases this could vary, for example I decided that my Vauban character, Rook, was actually being controlled by a Tenno girl, but the illusion she projected was that of a man because she actually believed herself to be male, because of the shape and gender of the Warframe she was controlling.

So anyways, tl;dr, they hid the truth from everyone, including themselves. And to do this they used complex ingrained mind powers to trick themselves into believing they had real human bodies inside their Warframes, which was supported by the illusions they subconsciously made whenever they took their armor off.

By using this idea, my Volt and most of my other characters can still maintain the backstory they had previously, they're just all in for a major mind-exploding revelation when they finally discover their true selves on the moon (hey, much like we did when we played that quest!)

If anyone else wants to use this theory for their own character backstories feel free. Sorry I barfed out so many words at once.

Might wanna spoiler this up a little i dunno how DE exactly defines a spoiler needed set of words.

I've changed my headcanon to follow the new quest's storyline.

The tenno instead of being "one tenno per warframe" is now a "Tenno is separated into the Operator and the Warframe" -- kind of like a metaphor for soul and body, or a summoner and their minion. Each one has their own personality, but they compliment each other and together make the Tenno.

The Warframes are corporal, working with the physical world (Ei. why they go to relays instead of the Operator). Each warframe has its own personality, yet is at the service of the Operator. Their personality is based on how they channel the Operators energy (Ei. a Mesa would be very critical and precise in nature, a Rhino will think brutishly, Loki would be sly)

The Operator are spiritual, manifesting in energy and directing the Warfarmes. Their personality is based off of the shared experience of the warframes and their upbringing. I feel like they would have a greater connection to their first Warframe.

Personally, I have a slight supersitition that my headcanon could be canon (of course this is due to my own bias), but when considering the following......

when the Operator is held up by Stalker, the Warframe breaks Stalker's sword, War, on their own. Some may argue that it was the Operator's energy and will that brought the Warframe to life. The counter argument to that is that when the Operator touches the suit to re-activate it, blue light emits from his hands -- the Operator's energy. When the Tenno breaks War, there is no energy. Also, Warframes bleed and are regarded as alive.

Edited by DeyOfZurich

For now it most likely won't since I doubt many/any of the currently established RPs are gonna change their cannon simply due to all the hassle they'd have by changing an already currently established idea.

However in the future I'll most likely still stick to the "Tenno in Armour" mindset just because I think Tenno actually being on the frontlines and getting shot, gashed and exploded just makes for a better story.

"Dream not of who you are, but of who you want to be" - Lotus

Warframes seem to be able to become their own Entity. I don't really consider my character's Operator the same as the character, though the lines tend to blur and it's possible that the Warframe's consciousness may simply be an echo of the Operator's. Some idealized part of themselves, essentially.

I think we should keep U18 out of the roleplay subforum, the update changed the story so much that none of the roleplays can continue if they want to keep it cannon. If anybody wants to make a roleplay that is cannon with U18, thats fine, just keep it out of already existing roleplays.

And heres my theory on U18:

The operator isn't the warframe, he/she only serves as a battery for the warframe, keeps them alive and kicking. That also makes the warframe bound to its operator, loyal at all costs. The warframes are conscious and have a personality like any other living being, but need the operators energy to stay alive. The warframes are also alive, since they bleed and breath. There's alot more, but I don't want to go into detail now...

But then again, that's only my opinion.

I think we should keep U18 out of the roleplay subforum, the update changed the story so much that none of the roleplays can continue if they want to keep it canon. If anybody wants to make a roleplay that is canon with U18, thats fine, just keep it out of already existing roleplays.

Gotta agree with this. It would be far too much of a change, and for some RPs, would probably cause them to cease to exist.

It just means that they're AUs. Nothing wrong with that.

Fantabulous question, oh venerable Morec0!

What I, personally, will do, and what I have already begun to do, seeing how I do love the lore oh so very much, is violently throw all of my Tenno characters out the proverbial airlock!

Why? Because canon is king!

And I was never a fan of the way the Tenno were portrayed here, in these RP subforums. Tenno simply being generic supersoldiers is just... well...

Boring. Unoriginal, you guys get it.

I actually like this new revelation. I adore the new layer of mystery this will add to lore abiding threads. The Tenno will not be able to speak to any other characters, not through their Warframes, and to the non-Tenno characters, they will be utterly alien, cold, arcane to the highest order!

Which is what Tenno SHOULD be treated like. Mysterious and Arcane, magical, otherworldly, eldritch!

Words that all mean the same thing!

Personally, I am waiting with intense anticipation when I have my Tenno in a thread, and something bad happens, really bad, and the Tenno needs to personally assume direct control of the situation. I really want to see the faces of everyone else when the Tenno physically appears on the battlefield, floating, arms outstretched, bathed in a strange glow, and unleashing his/her power to save his/her allies.

Imagine the shock one would have to feel when they finally realize what a Tenno truly is, how utterly and incomprehensibly powerful they truly are, and finally unlocking the piece to that puzzle so long forgotten.

Absolutely glorious.

...If played correctly of course.

But we have some really stellar RPers down in these parts! I have no doubt those experienced enough will have no problem properly playing a Tenno in a serious RP!

If you guys couldn't tell, I'm excited for this change. Very much so.

I am a bit with 0111001100001101101. On this recent lore stuff. Mostly I don't really care about it in game but in here it gives a HELL of large ground to roleplay with we can either stick what we already are doing or follow the lore. And I have to say that is a good thing although that did come with a cost if we follow the lore of course.

Pretty much all of my characters either gets put in to trash can (while pretty much all of them are there already) or gets overhaul in both background and current existence changes. Good thing that I ain't part of RPs right now.

Welllllllllll.. 

Let me start by saying this: I don't hate the story at all. Not one bit! I think it's an interesting take on the Tenno and what they are, however I've made my own headcanon as well.

My headcanon is that Syronox is an example of a pre-Zariman Ten Zero. The Orokin experimented with the Tennocyte virus to combat the Sentient, and thus created the first warframes. It seems netirely plausible to me that they would have had to have some near-success with that experimentation, and stuffed one of them into an early version of a modern warframe. 

Now, keep in mind that the way I envision it is that my character himself was nearly fried by this. He's a human being, or was once.. deformed and manipulated into such a way that his frame is what holds him together. A biologically engineered supersoldier that has lost most of the ability to communicate, yet retains his own thought due to some crafty Orokin technology. 

This is by and far probably what people had thought the Tenno actually WERE up until U18, but it still fits in context because in my eyes it's entirely believable. If he's a physical manifestation of himself, and not a surrogate, then he would have to be ultimately weaker than those Tenno exposed to the Void. This works to me, because those Tenno are so powerful they can hardly contain it themselves, therefore they require the need of the Dream to act as a conduit. This puts Syronox about one step in between Infested and Tenno, but still human enough to control himself and retain intelligent, mostly normal, thought processes. It also puts them on the same power level as combatants, since they're both operating under the same conditions; as a Warframe. 

This is my headcanon, and my theory of coexistence between Tenno as a person-in-a-frame and Tenno as they are canonically. Of yet I've really no reason to believe it couldn't be true. This isn't all that far-fetched considering I've heard a thousand theories just like this with minor tweaks or variations here or there. Either way you want to slice the cake, Warframe is an amazing game set in an amazing universe with some amazing creative elements for those out there who wish to take hold of them. 

That's all I can really share about my take on it, I hope I contributed in some way! 

Edited by Syronox