The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

I love everything about this U18 quest, the lore, gameplay & cinematics.

But!!

What threw me off is having some kind of "cancer like patient/a kid/ freaking Saitama" was the one behind the warframe, I don't mind the lore concept but Daffuq with the minimal creation?

If the tenno was an adult(somewhat like Lotus age) or mysterious being (like chepalon) then it's a different story which I was hoping actually.

But overall, kinda the best thing so far released by DE!

the customization will be improved (i think and i hope) so you can make him look like an adult, its a bit green like all the new changes added to every game

Your head canon got ruined by the devs? So? Does it break the game? No.

Did it make you salty? Yes? You can always leave.

Or stay and make you salty at their criticism. Does their criticism of the lore hurt the game for you?

Edited by UrielColtan

Well first, I don't really mind about this plot twist u could say cuz i always thought there should be som1 who control all the frames. We always thought we are the operator, the Tenno, who have these awesome powers and stuff.

We didn't "always thought" the operator controlled all the Warframes actually, because there didn't used to be any mention of an "operator".  Ordis and the Liset also didn't always exist.

Not that mentioning an operator is really relevant, anyone presently manning the liset could be called the operator and we were never referred to by name there, left it open ended.

Some of us also saw warframes as mere apparel of the Tenno that they wore into battle, not things seperate from the Tenno, considering even Lotus, didn't even priorly do this, saying Zanuka was made up of Tenno bodies, which we now know, is actually false. Zanuka is made up of Warframe parts,

Ppl been waiting years for this answer and now ppl are "upset"...i do not understand this community at all and can not agree with this post also sorry

I wanted nothing beyond the basic concept from which the Warframe name is derived, and a setup similar to the precursor Hayden Tenno, from which the game was first promoted on.  Especially when they apparently could not come up with an 'answer" that i find to be competent. I was content with the Tenno starting off as mutated children. Thats all that I required. They could detail more about that with historic entries or cinematic silhouettes, but thats it. Didn't want a lore answer for switching avatars or to have the Tenno's full visage exposed, customized, and heard. Just like I never needed a lore answer for revives.

Edited by UrielColtan

So in short your head cannon was destroyed.  Get over it.

and no.  warframes are not lifeless machines or puppets.

You'd know that if you "dug deep" into the lore and didn't have such a close minded perspective.

this

The Operator is what we as players are but, some players just refuse to let go of their headcanon and can't connect. DE could always add the option to keep the Zariman hood up, if that would solve some of their issue. As for the Operator dialog, there is an option to disable that under the sound section.

this

So everyone pissed off with the quest because they dont read the lore¿? the lore was there always... Im sure they had something about this writed somewhere, and maybe this quest is only a piece from iceberg

and this too.

Lotus:  "How do you feel Tenno?"

Tenno: "I'm confused, I thought I was a guy in a suit"

Lotus:  "You foolish kid, and how do you think revives worked? And Ember lore I gave you, and Rhino lore etc ..." *shaking head

Tenno: "But my headcanon! Which I had the last 2 years, without reading lore and giving a S#&$ about it"

Lotus:   "Oh, this is destroyed now. I'm sorry forgive me Tenno, this is what your are ..."

In that case "dream Tenno, not of what you are, but of what you want to be." 

Confused tenno confirmed. DE did a great job! <3 

this

this

and this too.

Lotus:  "You foolish kid, and how do you think revives worked? And Ember lore I gave you, and Rhino lore etc ..." *shaking head

Tenno: "But my headcanon! Which I had the last 2 years, without reading lore and giving a S#&$ about it"

Lotus:   "Oh, this is destroyed now. I'm sorry forgive me Tenno, this is what your are ..."

In that case "dream Tenno, not of what you are, but of what you want to be." 

Confused tenno confirmed. DE did a great job! <3 

Yes you're right, you are the tenno.

But try and take this onboard. I don't care if we're a race of space kitties with muffin bodies,

f88b9f3a9f1b3642346a2ae71e3bd2ac.gif

I just don't want it pumped down my throat ayt. Fine, we're all space kitties, and sure I have to deal; but allow me at least a chance at being the spaceninja I was before, you can have the space kitties with muffin body and I'll be a warframe ninja please.

Lotus:  "You foolish space kitty with a muffin body, we're a race of space kitties with muffin bodies..." *shaking head

Tenno: "But my headcanon! Which you handed to me on a plate in the first dream"

Lotus:   "Oh, this is destroyed now. I'm sorry forgive me Tenno, this is what your are kitty it up space muffin..."

A: The vast majority of the comments in that video is people praising DE, the song, and the update, so....not sure what you were going for here.

B: No one said you WERE alone. Steve himself stated that he knew there will be some people who won't like the reveal. But It's their game. It's their story. It's their lore. You can complain about it. You can talk about it. You can give suggestions. But guess what? They aren't going to retcon it just because you don't like it. That's like telling an author of a book series that their latest book is wrong and they should change it because you say so.

FHS no one' complaining but it's just disappointment. ALL LOVE DE but not all love the story and thus they're here discussing about it. Ultimately no one will derail and roll back the whole thing - even a kid knows we don't have that kind of power; we didn't publish this great game. What's so hard to understand??

Edited by Lorienzo

Don't know if anyone posted this already but:

"U18 takes risks - a very different tone for the future of the game. Has aspects unlike anything we've ever done. Not all will be pleased."

- Steve

"U18 takes risks - a very different tone for the future of the game. All the Tenno are now space Kitties with muffin bodies. Not all will be pleased."

- Steve

f88b9f3a9f1b3642346a2ae71e3bd2ac.gif

Loving the mental gymnastics the naysayers are pulling so they can have their head cannons back. For sure a psycho-analyst would have a field day with this one!

Why do you want to control other people?

End of the day - Warframe was a fun game in a rudderless, shallow world with no soul or purpose. Now it isn't - you can accept that - or move on - those are your choices.

Except you know, the game kind of poopooed on all the Corpus and Grineer crimes against the "Tenno". They've just been messing with dolls this whole time, how weak.  They made stuff like the Mirage and Limbo's sacrifices, moot.

Expecting there to be options for all your personal headcanon is foolish

- it's also a terrible idea.

Options...in a game...thats crowd sourced, and derivative of some lore ideas from fans already... and where player customization has been relied upon? The nerve.

Are you like, that guy who really wished that what was inside of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, was actually revealed or something?   A concealed suit/armor already offered most every personal possibility, should have left well enough alone on that front. Now all thats being requested  is that some Tenno actually don the Warframes themselves, and be obscured once again. No biggie.

Good stories don't happen by committee - they come from one mind sticking to its vision - the rest of us should just shut up and appreciate it - respectfully.

I forgot that this isn't interactive media.

I also forgot that all good productions only have one writer and no directors or any kind of focus tests(No pun intended)/game&film festival feedback. Indeed,Tommy Wiseau is the best story creator there is.

Edited by UrielColtan

Lotus:  "How do you feel Tenno?"  Tenno: "I'm confused, I thought I was a guy in a suit"  Lotus:  "You foolish kid, and how do you think revives worked?

Like they did before there was a pointless lore excuse for it, like a gaming mechanic.  Countless games require no story explanation for reviving.

Though if you want to posit puppetry as the only excuse for revives, we can point out how Dark Souls revives didn't require that,  so there are obviously countless possibilities that exist for revive explanation, if there is a desire to have a lore explanation behind it.

And Ember lore I gave you,

Which honestly did not contest against people wearing the suits at all.

and Rhino lore etc ..." *

Open to interpretation at the time and things like Zanuka being made "Tenno bodies" and clearly seeing Alad severing parts from the Warframes to make Zanuka, and commenting on it, suggested that Tenno's were actually in the frames at the time.

"But my headcanon! Which I had the last 2 years, without reading lore and giving a S#&$ about it"  Lotus:   "Oh, this is destroyed now. I'm sorry forgive me Tenno, this is what your are ..."  

The head cannon was the game's , they just decided to make it a charade now, as admitted by Lotus. This exosuit idea is what people initially thought they were getting into due to DE promoting it that way at this game's conception.

Edited by UrielColtan

Alright. Reading through a lot of this thread, and others.. While both sides could be a lot more civil about things,

Why is it that every time someone mentions that they dislike the story direction someone jumps at them and says either one of these things to them:

A, "You're just mad that your head canon was ruined!!2#411!@#"

B, "Deal with it scrub."

C, "Stop bashing on DE this was the best thing ever"

or D, "Your opinion, is wrong."

Like, seriously? Why can't people just dislike the direction has taken without being thrown into one of those groups? Some people don't have head canons and still don't like the way things went. Most people fully understand that it's DE's story and they ca do whatever they want with it. But the fact is this is a forum and if I or someone else doesn't like something you shouldn't be getting bashed on for stating so.

Geez. It's like watching a TV show or a Movie. Just because what's on the screen and is canon, and someone else may be enjoying it doesn't mean I can't dislike it. And that doesn't usually lead to people calling each other names.

Seriously. It's beginning to feel like "If you disliked the ending of the quest then you aren't welcome here!" Which, It seems is more than feeling like, but the truth.

Edited by SJunior

Not wanting to be the option D, "Your opinion, is wrong." -here.

But this was the lore until a whole bunch of other things were retcon'd. Sorry but it's a fact I'm afraid, and its my way of explaining my difficulty in climbing aboard the newest new strange.

Seriously. It's beginning to feel like "If you disliked the ending of the quest then you aren't welcome here!" Which, It seems is more than feeling like, but the truth.

Agreed, I myself like that many love what DE have done. 

I don't, and many don't, so I would simply like an option here. DE isn't Microsoft and this isn't Windows 8? Is it?

Would have been better if they cut out the human part entirely, and just had us as visible organs inside of a human skeletal frame that "COULD" fit inside a warframe, that we could customize. Cut out the voice, and boom. Same story, less mess, and it makes the connection to the idea that the original versions of the warframes were tennocite mutations.

It also cuts out the "star child" bullsh&$. Make our powers come from the virus, or technology. Nobody likes pulling our "powers" out of our sphincter. We can keep the void energy theme by SHOWING the clearly changed organs that are our last remaining parts. THe organs mutated and adapted to absorb and store void energy, like void glands or something. I would say its the best way to control someone who's power you fear, but want to preserve that power. Put them in a form that makes use of their strength, but you have easy access to manipulate and control.

Edited by Cosmicblues

Warframe0091.png

^This. Oh, you know random tidbit.

So that's what proves me wrong in liking and enjoying the new quest/lore?

I didn't understand the story because excal came out of a cryopod?

Also it only proves one thing: That the frames themselves also need to be suspended for some reason. That reason? We can only theorize.

We disagree about taste. And that discussion can't be won by either side.

We just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by (PS4)OppneusKorsuss

Alright. Reading through a lot of this thread, and others.. While both sides could be a lot more civil about things,

Why is it that every time someone mentions that they dislike the story direction someone jumps at them and says either one of these things to them:

A, "You're just mad that your head canon was ruined!!2#411!@#"

B, "Deal with it scrub."

C, "Stop bashing on DE this was the best thing ever ur wrong"

or D, "Your opinion, is wrong."

Like, seriously? Why can't people just dislike the direction has taken without being thrown into one of those groups? Some people don't have head canons and still don't like the way things went. Most people fully understand that it's DE's story and they ca do whatever they want with it. But the fact is this is a forum and if I or someone else doesn't like something you shouldn't be getting bashed on for stating so.

Geez. It's like watching a TV show or a Movie. Just because what's on the screen and is canon, and someone else may be enjoying it doesn't mean I can't dislike it. And that doesn't usually lead to people calling each other names.

If there is one thing I know personally when it comes to situations like this, is that the vocal minority will always take things way too seriously. Their only response that keeps popping up will always lead to either two options: A.) Shut up and like it; B.) Leave the game for good.

Sadly they forget that if you don't give constructive feedback, the game can't grow for the better. Also if people leave the game, depending on the responses of those leaving, the newer amount of people might turn into a trickle then into a deficit. Warframe might have some commercials and ads out there, but word of mouth still keeps this game going to a point. Drive too many away and your game loses income (or potential income) and then it becomes a dead game.

All in all, if folks don't like the quest end, then there is nothing to be said to try and change their opinion. Likewise, those that love it can't be swayed to hate it. But slinging insults or calling each other salty or butt hurt does not help in any for on discussion or debate.

I don't understand the issue here...

You control the warframe on the liset, the relays, the dojos, the missions and everywhere.

The operator is always sitting back on the liset... you never control him/her, only when you want to use -their- powers.
The operator always talks to you in missions, the same as Lotus, Salad V and the rest...
You can still easily think that you're the warframe, you're that missing link that no one understands. We don't know what's inside the warframes, that "energy", think you're that energy and think that the operator only gives you power to control the warframe's powers.

Until DE says what's inside a Warframe, nothing changes, YOU are the warframe.

Edited by LeaserResael

You control the warframe on the liset, the relays, the dojos, the missions and everywhere.

The operator is always sitting back on the liset... you never control him/her, only when you want to use -their- powers.

The operator always talks to you in missions, the same as Lotus, Salad V and the rest...

You can still easily think that you're the warframe, you're that missing link that no one understand. We don't know what's inside the warframes, that "energy", think you're that energy and think that the operator only gives you power to control the warframe's powers.

Following the mixed response from the community over this, I really hope DE does something amazing in future quests that makes both sides happy. at this rate from what I understand, there are 2 groups. 1 who love what happened, and the other half that feel crushed.

You can still easily think that you're the warframe, you're that missing link that no one understand. We don't know what's inside the warframes, that "energy", think you're that energy and think that the operator only gives you power to control the warframe's powers.

#1  Yes I do still control my warfarme although now it feels like nothing but a mindless puppet to me.

#2 that's my problem. they are sitting there doing nothing while they talk about honor and stuff. how can you fight honorably if you can kill a corpus except  if he kills you it doesn't matter?

#3   alad V and the lotus do talk to you in missions. the only one I can stand is alad. the operators and lotus's voice lines drive my insane with how annoying it is. even if I mute them I have a pop up of their ugly faces reminding me that they are here.

#4  I can't think im the warframe anymore. and if I did then the tenno kid I had to create would be controlling them. if that really was happening then I would be sitting at my PC not playing while the game plays itself since the tenno is really in control.

unless I am supposed to be the tenno at the back of the ship. which I really do not want as they say random stuff I never think of saying and don't think like I do.

an example is when they criticize the corpus for being greedy, were as I love the fact that they are so greedy and support the corpus all the time.

Edited by Agentcheese