The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] Getting Over The...

Mordad

Most of the lines dont fit the context of the current situation-

"If you're talking about lines that don't fit the context of their current situation, that's more of a glitch than anything else and can be patched."

But sure if you want examples on how bad they are you need not to look futher then

We fought with honor

or

My warframe is strong.

In what context would these banal words hold any meaning at all?

Not really understanding the problem. "We fought with honor". Tenno have always been honor-focused (Though it's kind of hilarious when they say that right after you just killed everything while being an invisible Loki or Ivara. Not very honorable!), so I can easily see why they say that.

"My warframe is strong" =  A...compliment? I don't really see what's wrong with an operator telling their warframe that they're awesome.

"If you're talking about lines that don't fit the context of their current situation, that's more of a glitch than anything else and can be patched."

Not really understanding the problem. "We fought with honor". Tenno have always been honor-focused (Though it's kind of hilarious when they say that right after you just killed everything while being an invisible Loki or Ivara. Not very honorable!), so I can easily see why they say that.

"My warframe is strong" =  A...compliment? I don't really see what's wrong with an operator telling their warframe that they're awesome.

I think the last praise annoys those people who are following meta

I think the last praise annoys those people who are following meta

Then they'll just have to be annoyed. Or turn off operator voice in the options menu. This is DE's story. Player head canon is not something they should pander to; at least not to the extent said people are demanding.

Edit: However that line in itself may be more telling than people think...

Edited by Cidolfus

I meet patients with Alzheimer who had more clue of what was going on then the lines these millennium old warriors babble to themselves.

They are inept and seems to suffer from a severe case of memory loss.

I could dump a player who has never played warframe in their life and they would understand how moronic the lines the operators sprew out are.  

True, but they're still in beta. My operator said arcwing is ready in a regular mission 8D But I don't see it as such a biggie.

All we need now is a giant warframe for the operator to pilot, Warframes themselves being able to respond, and this anime of a game will be complete.

This make Lotus' mindset so much more literal.

Do they have dialogue for petting the kubrow?

Regarding some of the lines. People talk to themselves and inanimate objects. It's normally cringy unless you've got a snarky voice or using snarky lines.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

There is no honor in using remote controlled puppets with no real danger at all.

As for my warframe  is strong being a compliment.....

Its a tool of war.

A tool the kids should have been using for at least 100 years.

that operator is meant to be you in DEs little head canon.

I would rather let the grinner kill me then let that S#&$ writing being a damn stand in for me as a player.

Unlike the rest of you who like a "face" i for one hate avatars in games and i hate when they talk.

DE could write 1000 of lines for them and not a single S#&$ty teen drama onliner would come even close to how i would react to the game world as the operator controlling the warframes remotely from the liset.

To me i was the operator when playing warframe.

That waste of ram and pixel processing will never be something i can relate to nor will it ever be me.

Lines like my warframe is strong is in no way a compliment in my opinion. It shows a completely and utterly rose tinted view of the world. 

You might be able to view the world in such favorable light.

I however cannot.

That is one of the reasons that child will never be able to represent me.

CRINGE.

Some of these lines the 'operator' says during missions are absolutely cringe worthy.

To the point where I feel like turning the game off.

Thankfully we can turn the 'operator' off instead.

And go back to being bad-! forces of mute destruction.

But for the love of god, DE please let us access the focus trees without having to look at their faces.

My mind is naggingly returning to the concept of the 'kid in the back room'.

While I'm desperately trying to get over this ridiculous degree of separation between myself and my frame.

Playing as a kid playing warframe... sigh.

y u not lik the new operator?

34876-1d-One-Direction.jpg

Baby you light up my world like nobody else,

The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,

But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell,

You don't know,

Oh oh,

[Harry]

That's what makes you beautiful.

I laff

Those lines seem to be related to what you're doing... I think I don't know yet how exactly they're set off.

Warframe is Strong

Killing an Eximus Mob?

Killing alot of Mobs in a short amount of time?

That was a close one

Losing your shields and Regenerating it back?

Archwing Deployed

Probably a bug with the audio or because you're playing in an Archwing (Submersible) Mission.

Maybe its a whole point?

"Dream not of what you are, but what you want to be"

Well then they ought to have taken ONE LESS STEP in confirming what we are. Hint to it, maybe, but in a way that could be taken as "yes, but you've grown over this time". Not give us a full-blown character customization to confirm every less-than-impressive detail about it.

Yeah, and even the recent straw poll thread was pretty clear that the response is strongly positive overall.

It's really a repeat of the Parkour 2.0 incident, only instead of distressed coptering addicts, we have a bunch of distressed lore-hounds whose hedcanons have exploded. 

And they keep whingeing. 

And idiots like me keep arguing with them :)

So basically, just forum noise as usual. :D

Amazing that the bunch of players 'idiots ' that stalk the forums and forced these changes, like them...

Your poll will only be seen in 6 months. 

Also it's the distressed lore-hounds whose hedcanons exploded who made this mess my furry little friend, pot meet kettle, kettle here's pot. :D

Edited by StabbyTentacles

There is no honor in using remote controlled puppets with no real danger at all.

As for my warframe  is strong being a compliment.....

Its a tool of war.

1) Eh, I disagree. In any case, I don't think Tenno really have any honor to begin with. Assassinations aren't honorable. Sneaking onboard a ship isn't honorable. Honorable is flying your archwing at Sargus Ruk's Galleon and screaming "FIGHT ME"

2) Judging by the fact the operator compliments you as a Warframe, I think that implies that the Warframe can at least understand the Operator. Meaning its not just a tool that has no higher functions.

that operator is meant to be you in DEs little head canon.

I stopped reading, caring, and respecting your opinion right here. DE's story isn't a @(*()$ "head canon". Warframe is THEIR GAME, not yours. It is THEIR STORY. YOUR story is YOUR head canon, and has nothing to do with THEIR STORY.

Edited by Cidolfus

So you'd rather have this old-child thing... rather then say a void-infused demi-god (child) being with a powerful voice.

Just one example of how the 'operator' could have been a being that was more then just a teen voiced kid.

All that's restricted for the player's avatar is physical appearance (childlike) and size of voice-box (child-sized), what that thing in the chair has for personality and experience, on the other hand, is precisely what you've been playing as all along.

Nobody need feel like they have to play as "emo", unless that's what they've been playing as all along.

So the whole "feel" of the character isn't dictated by its looks, and then you have to inject some pre-conceived notion of "kids today" into it.  The whole feel of the character is dictated by the feel of how you've been playing up till now, and then you make the avatar look like that type of personality, and pick a voice that's as close to that type of personality, as you can.  The only restriction is its biological age, and its physical size and fragility.

Simples.

Edited by Omnimorph

Its a tool of war.

Considering Limbo and Mirage apparently died, the original Valkyr was tortured to the point of going mad; it seems like there is a strong enough connection between the 2. One that might let the operator feel what the warframe is going through.

Which would kind of make some sense since feeling plays a role sensing damage and knowing when you are touching something. Granted there might be better ways a futuristic sci-fi couldn've done it but the Orokin seem like they are just the right level of messed to do it. I mean they are already experimenting on children and using them as child soldiers. Why not let them feel the pain, its just a bit more trauma dropped onto everything else that is messed up about their life.

And I don't care how young it looks or how cringy it talks, lore wise, it spent years making the choice to slaughter stuff by the hundreds and executing that choice. That is one mean and messed up individual that has probably seen stuff hardened war vets wish they could unsee.

The Operator is like a General and its Warframes are its group of one organism armies.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

The frames were destroyed, nothing was ever said about their operators. It still wouldn't be reassuring and it would still be dumb since they might as well be in the frames if they die from the frames dying. About as senseless a setup as Golden Compass. Completely arbitrary.

Some frames like Valkyr were also probably no doubt created back before DE settled on this current canon of the Tenno not actually being in the frames.

Anyway, I'm gonna' reference this guy, as  he gets much of the point across about this remote control business.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/569878-has-warframe-been-ruined-by-the-update-18-reveal-spoiler-city/?p=6502529

Edited by UrielColtan

You guys sound comfused... The scenario is simple... The child was in Cryo-Stasis for many generations. Its stupid what you ask for. If you don't like Warframe's scenario and you need just meaningless points, you play the wrong game...

We beg DE for a nice scenario and story. 

I stopped reading, caring, and respecting your opinion right here. DE's story isn't a @(*()$ "head canon". Warframe is THEIR GAME, not yours. It is THEIR STORY. YOUR story is YOUR head canon, and has nothing to do with THEIR STORY.

Ugh head canon is exactly that the writers intended story. 

Then we have peoples own canon and then we have a lot of different OCs in various AU that people have created over the years. Its a established term to explain a writer or developers story. 

Canon by its very definition is the main storyline be it a story in a book or a movie or as in this case a video game. 

You clearly have problem understanding what i am writing. 

I never said DE did not write the story i actually explicit told you that by DEs very design of their storyline for this game you as a player is that child. 

The tenno by the lore you think you are defending is that child. 

One child per player. 

How is that hard to understand?

Once again a Canon is the chronological story in a established universe what is so hard to gasp?

I am fully aware that the child i supposed to be you, that is the exact point i was making about the story in the first place. 

For me that part of the reveal disconnected me instantly from the game.

I have no connection and no rapport to that npc child that DE spend time and effort to build for their story. 

The fact that its a part of DEs story for the game cannot change that. 

I am fine with the story that is not my issue. 

The npc is the issue. 

The frames were destroyed, nothing was ever said about their operators. It still wouldn't be reassuring and it would still be dumb since they might as well be in the frames if they die from the frames dying. About as senseless a setup as Golden Compass. Completely arbitrary.

Some frames like Valkyr were also probably no doubt created back before DE settled on this current canon of the Tenno not actually being in the frames.

Anyway, I'm gonna' reference this guy, as  he gets much of the point across about this remote control business.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/569878-has-warframe-been-ruined-by-the-update-18-reveal-spoiler-city/?p=6502529

That's a great post. Some counters:-

Re. the in-game Tenno VO, that's irrelevant, although DE shouldn't have rushed such a sketchy version of it in, it's been misleading a lot of people and exacerbating their initial "do not want" reaction and inducing further puzzlement about the degree of sentience in warframes,etc.

Re. the question of "punch", there is that for new players coming in now.  I think there's plenty punch for us as players who have gone through the same thing the in-game Tenno has gone through (of being unaware of the truth, then discovering the truth), but for new players going forward, as the nature of the game becomes publicly known, they're not going to have the same feeling that they are, or are something inside, the warframe when they wake up out of cryosleep, as we did as new players.  Which is kind of weird, but I'm sure DE'll cope (maybe they just upfront design a bit that comes before the NPE we have now, introducing the general concept, including a character creator for their Tenno, who they won't meet again properly till they've been some way through the game and done the TSD quest).

Re. the third point - I don't think it's true that people don't get attached to virtual hardware, they very much do.  Consider EVE Online where the players "are" their ships for all intents and purposes.  I don't think you can accuse EVE Online of being unimmersive because the thing you "are" is only a tool, weapon, etc. And especially with the Avatar/Evangelion concept, the relationship is far more intimate than a spaceship.  For one thing, following the analogy from EVE, you're a humanoid-shaped "spaceship", and you are controlling the "spaceship" with the kinds of standard WASD controls you'd use for controlling any human avatar, and that's got to count for something in terms of familiarity and intimacy with avatar, regardless of whether it's "second hand" so to speak. EVE Online is also analogous because of the notional immortality of your human avatar (for which you just have a picture most of the time). For another thing, warframes just look damn cool and intriguing.  They were damn cool and intriguing as some kind of mysterious armor, there's no reason why people can't still think of them as damn cool and intriguing as techno-organic golems, if they fully understand the concept being proposed (i.e. Avatar-like).

Edited by Omnimorph

1) Eh, I disagree. In any case, I don't think Tenno really have any honor to begin with. Assassinations aren't honorable. Sneaking onboard a ship isn't honorable. Honorable is flying your archwing at Sargus Ruk's Galleon and screaming "FIGHT ME"

2) Judging by the fact the operator compliments you as a Warframe, I think that implies that the Warframe can at least understand the Operator. Meaning its not just a tool that has no higher functions.

I would have you look at history and understand that honor is not some immutable thing that is same thing for everyone. Different cultures have differing understanding of honor. Why would sort of post human society would have same understanding of honor as we would? They may consider fulfiling their missions by whatever means honorable, rather rushing enemy like moron.

Regarding operators dying - they well could be dying, it is just that players ones are not dying, there could be plenty of them that could have died like for Mirage or Limbo. Plot shield protects players :).

I just fear that DE will now focus on developping this Operator thing, allowing people to use this appearance in relays, or making another type of relay where you can show off your new avatar.

Also, new people coming to this game will somehow spend less time with their frames than we did, thus feeling maybe more related to it than to the frames.

At least, allow us to put the Operator suit on. This alien look suits (hahaha) us better lore-wise and fits better with this Universe.

And to those who keep saying "we are NOT kids, we are old super warrior... blablabla". Damn, open your eyes and tell me it doesn't look as a kid... Don't care how old it is. Just this damn appearance... (with the Archwing quotes I feel like I am watching a Gundam episode sometimes).

I just fear that DE will now focus on developping this Operator thing, allowing people to use this appearance in relays, or making another type of relay where you can show off your new avatar.

Also, new people coming to this game will somehow spend less time with their frames than we did, thus feeling maybe more related to it than to the frames.

At least, allow us to put the Operator suit on. This alien look suits (hahaha) us better lore-wise and fits better with this Universe.

And to those who keep saying "we are NOT kids, we are old super warrior... blablabla". Damn, open your eyes and tell me it doesn't look as a kid... Don't care how old it is. Just this damn appearance... (with the Archwing quotes I feel like I am watching a Gundam episode sometimes).

Yeah, and warframes, good solid interesting/compelling warframes will take a back seat to developing this Operator thing.