Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is The Majority Of Damage On War, Impact?

(PSN)Redemption_015

It's the game's equivalent of a Zweihander. Those things weighed roughly 2-4kg and their ability to hack through pikeman neckmeats was probably more down to the sheer weight of the blade impacting against flesh than the sharpness. Y'know, like a portable guillotine. Those things were more about the impact damage too, being big heavy slabs of angled metal and all.

Do you know how many one-handed/dual swords we have that are based on slash?

In the heavy blade category we only have three, Galatine, Scindo/Scindo Prime. DE need to add more to the heavy blades.

Unless you run Corrosive builds like me, in which case that mod is useless because Impact does not proc like Slash, ticking down an enemies health over time.

Those aren't 2-handed weapons though. Sure there is the Fragor and Magistar but eh... idk DE wants you to choose between slash for bw and impact for war

I wish it was puncture. They could have put some spikes on it or something.

I want a god-tier puncture melee weapon :(. (Boltace is okay)

Fang Prime. And I'm serious , it hits for 2k dmg w/ puncture and corro  2/3 of the time and is really quick. Great alternative to a crit based weapon

So what you're saying is we should expect to see a heavy hammer that deals slash damage? That's a pretty weird answer.

You can't put impact damage on the Scindo Prime or slash damage on the Jat Kittag.

yea you can, theres no problem making a weapon deal a damage type that doesnt fit its look, they can make a hammer deal puncture damage, greatsword/greataxe deal impact, and a spear or rapier deal slash

yea you can, theres no problem making a weapon deal a damage type that doesnt fit its look, they can make a hammer deal puncture damage, greatsword/greataxe deal impact, and a spear or rapier deal slash

A sword is something that cuts. A club is something that crushes. A rapier is something that punctures. I does not make any sense to put an impact damage on something that is clearly not designed to deal impact damage.

A sword is something that cuts. A club is something that crushes. A rapier is something that punctures. I does not make any sense to put an impact damage on something that is clearly not designed to deal impact damage.

you right, it doesnt make sense, but that doesnt matter at all

Why don't we talk about WHY Impact damage is so lame compared to slash, and maybe how they could rebalance the physical damage types to make it more attractive? Why aren't we having that conversation?

because people are bothered by what doesnt follow real world logic in a videogame

because people are bothered by what doesnt follow real world logic in a videogame

I thought it was about Impact damage being a sucky damage type. That's what my gripe would be, anyway. Maybe the laser edge that's hitting everything is blunt, or specifically very good against shields and therefore it's classified as Impact?

fun thing is that nordic swords were actually kinda blunt....

I mean sure it could cut unarmored flesh - but agains chainmail if was supposed to be breaking bones. not cutting anything - and in fact that was how most of european swords worked like, they could slash throught some stuff but for everythign else they were heavy enought to damage oponent without penetrating his armor....

fun thing is that nordic swords were actually kinda blunt....

I mean sure it could cut unarmored flesh - but agains chainmail if was supposed to be breaking bones. not cutting anything - and in fact that was how most of european swords worked like, they could slash throught some stuff but for everythign else they were heavy enought to damage oponent without penetrating his armor....

How blunt a weapon is a matter of how well an owner takes care of their weapon. Europeans weren't bone heads walking around smacking each other like brutes. Having a blunt edge isn't going to cause any more impact damage. It is true chainmail turns a slashing weapon into a blunt weapon, but being lazy and not taking care of your blade isn't going to make it hit any harder, how blunt weapons like warhammers work is transferring a lot of force to one area, keeping your sword blunt isn't going to accomplish this.

Edited by Oishii

Oh war, is an enemy to all mankind, the thought of war blows my mind.
War has caused unrest within the younger generation.  Induction, then destruction who wants to die.

War, good God, y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it, say it, say it
War, uh huh, yeah, huh
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing.

... come on, you guys knew it had to happen.

A dulled sword is going to feel more like a iron club(Impact)

A bladed club is going to cut you (slash as well as impact)

A rapier can have sharpened length basically turning it into an thin sword that can be used for surgical slicing and stabbing(Slash and puncture)

There are many types of weapons in many types of categories that don't always seem to match well with others in the same category. Don't be so narrow-minded. These are space ninjas skilled in every type of weaponry ever after all.

*edit*

Look at the halbeard. Its a spear, axe and either hammer or another spike. It does all three types of damage. Swords that impact is as possible as a club that cuts.

Edited by UtopioParadoxi

Yea... No swords were heavy back then. It's an idiotic idea.

There was no value in a weapon that killed its own wielder.

Chain mace? Nunchaku? There have been weapons designed that can hurt its own weilder if handle inappropriately.

Also, claymore and halbers were heavy back in the day.

Anyway, i joked earlier but heavy weapons sometimes are designed to crush enemies using its own weight instead of cutting them.

That being said however, the design of the war doesnt really give indication of that. For one thing, it consists of 2 smaller blades instead of one large blade. This means some weight of the sword was lost in order for easier upper swing and movement.

plus the fact that the stalker can hold the sword steady with one hand at 90 degrees when the operator first comes out, shows the sword's weight can't be that heavy or he has a really strong arm

Edited by 321agemo

Because it was intended to kill Tenno who use shields. Impact does extra damage to shields.

Historically speaking, swords are simply levers than focus all of the impact of the strike onto a very thin edge as opposed to a club which uses a thicker impacting surface in one specific place. It can be hard to tell the difference occasionally. There have been swords made of stone, wood and bone.

These are not generally as durable as metal, so they have vanished as weapons for the most part.

But anyone who thinks weapons without a sharp edge cannot be dangerous has never read anything about Minamoto Musashi.

He used a BOAT OAR more than once for goodness sake. Surprised the HELL out of opponents armed with swords.

Edited by Kalenath

Because it was intended to kill Tenno who use shields. Impact does extra damage to shields.

Historically speaking, swords are simply levers than focus all of the impact of the strike onto a very thin edge as opposed to a club which uses a thicker impacting surface in one specific place. It can be hard to tell the difference occasionally. There have been swords made of stone, wood and bone.

These are not generally as durable as metal, so they have vanished as weapons for the most part.

But anyone who thinks weapons without a sharp edge cannot be dangerous has never read anything about Minamoto Musashi.

He used a BOAT OAR more than once for goodness sake. Surprised the HELL out of opponents armed with swords.

This, War is designed to kill Warframes, they have shields and impact has a bonus over shields so it can penetrate them. Notice it has got some slash as well, for me it makes sense.

This, War is designed to kill Warframes, they have shields and impact has a bonus over shields so it can penetrate them. Notice it has got some slash as well, for me it makes sense.

And the actual part that hits is not the metal, it's the energy.

A warframe destroyer, that is what War is designed for.

Edited by Kalenath

How blunt a weapon is a matter of how well an owner takes care of their weapon. Europeans weren't bone heads walking around smacking each other like brutes. Having a blunt edge isn't going to cause any more impact damage. It is true chainmail turns a slashing weapon into a blunt weapon, but being lazy and not taking care of your blade isn't going to make it hit any harder, how blunt weapons like warhammers work is transferring a lot of force to one area, keeping your sword blunt isn't going to accomplish this.

I'd argue with that one - it was not only a matter of sharpening the blade but also a matter of blade quality and manufacturing process - sure the later into history the more sharp blades became but in the times I refereed to nation I refered to mostly fought against people in chainmails and if enemy was not in chainmail shirt he was just in clothes - in first case sword was meant to break bones of the receiving end, the second was only case when blade "slashed" anything.

and also In times I refeered to swords being kinda blunt was not matter of users laziness at all - rather a lack of knowledge and technology...

Yea... No swords were heavy back then. It's an idiotic idea.

There was no value in a weapon that killed its own wielder.

all swords were heavy :P

but it depends on how you define actually heavy - is 3kg already heavy for you?

blade heaviness also have very little to do in matter of killing its owner unless its really too heavy

also the guy above who explained swords "mechanics" got a kinda good point actually - that "slash" or "pierce" are just impact concentrated into a line (slash swords) or more less small dot (puncture/pierce daggers, spears... spikes)