Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fan Art] Sentient Magnolyst

Krion112

t9RspP4.jpg

Felt like drawing something, and the first design to come to mind was this thing; some kind of Sentient drone wielding a pair of part Great Sword, part Shield weapons.

I didn't come up with a concept, but I did believe it could be applied one of three ways:

-It could just be a Sentient unit.

-It could be the leader for a Sentient-themed Syndicate

-It could be the personal body-guard and envoy for the Lotus.

However, I mostly drew it for the fun of it, so enjoy, and let me know what you think!

Fun Fact:

I named it the 'Magnolyst' as it is a portmanteau of 'Magnol/Magnolia' and '-Lyst'. Pierre Magnol was a french botanist, and Magnolia is a large genus for flowering plants, which are named after Pierre.

Edited by Krion112

what lotus looked like back then, a construct she controlled? We all know that sentients (the real deal ones, not the fragment drone like this) are the size of a reaper from mass effect.

we do? I know that those are just fragments. But when was it stated they are the size of skyscrapers?

Edited by Legionofone

what lotus looked like back then, a construct she controlled? We all know that sentients (the real deal ones, not the fragment drone like this) are the size of a reaper from mass effect.

Hehe, I just had this really interesting idea:

(Second Dream Spoilers; if this is still a thing)

We know the Tenno transfer their consciousnesses into their Warframes, but if Lotus is a Sentient, is she transferring her mind into a human surrogate? Is her human body her 'Warframe', and her real body somewhere else? Will we need to rescue it at some point?

Either way, I moreso intended this thing to be just a fragment; a puppet for others to control, be it Hunhow or Lotus. Unless each fragment is a true Sentient, but at this point I have no idea what DE intends.

Edited by Krion112

we do? I know that those are just fragments. But when was it stated they are the size of skyscrapers?

an extraction point for Uranus submersible missions shows a massive structure further out in the water being search by grineer. there was also the parkour 2.0 teaser that had a sentient "drop ship" deliver all the sentient drones. 

We don´t know that. It´s a popular idea many people have been clinging to, but I haven´t seen anything concrete practically proving it. We only saw the giant ship approach whatever that place with Stalker and the many Sentients was, but we still can´t state it as a fact without more material. In the second mission we saw a pieces of Hunhow, but I´m still uncertain if the "fragments" referred to was the entire red stalk-like thing which COULD, but we can´t say it 'IS' yet, or just the small pieces in the center that we interacted with, which looked like a piece that belonged to a Sentient's frame. Don´t take it in a too solid shape just yet.

More importantly, onto the topic; Really sweet job, artist. Though... I´d be scared if those shields would be used by something with mechanics similar to those Sentient units we fight now.

an extraction point for Uranus submersible missions shows a massive structure further out in the water being search by grineer. there was also the parkour 2.0 teaser that had a sentient "drop ship" deliver all the sentient drones. 

I remember that buried structure but I also remember two different instances of scanning sentient bones, which were wildly different in size. Also couldn't the buried object be a dropship and not the sentient themself?

-snip-

I feel like what you say is the most accurate, but I do want to point out his theory, even if popular, could be correct. I mean, I was talked down a lot for bringing up the remote-control Warframe theory, but it turned out to be the true theory. The only hint at what DE's going to do with the plot resides in the game-play itself; they don't make fancy lore for the sake of lore, they do it for the sake of explaining potential game mechanics.

Anyway, thanks for the comment!

Wish they added more enemies based off fan art, this would be epic to see in the upcoming event.

Greatly appreciate the comment!

As far as my experience in this sort of thing goes, there's three really good reasons why game devs don't normally take fan suggestions:

Game Design; game design is actually deceptive, in that players may think they understand it, but truly they don't. In fact, it often seems people design things based upon a game's lore, and not so much based on the game formula. It's usually not about the what or how to put something into a game, it's more about the why, and whys in game design run very deep.

For example, a why isn't like "I need a weapon that fills the gap between the Soma and Boltor", it's more like "Why does an LMG need to be in this game, and how do I balance such a weapon type". Sometimes balance is having multiple weapons in the same role, focused on different stats. Sometimes balance is adding a new weapon role. Sometimes balance is removing a weapon role. But it's very hard to tell.

Doesn't mean designers can't be inspired by fans, but the complete integration of a fan concept is usually not a good idea just because players don't normally design something in correlation to the game's formula, not for any reason other than because they just don't understand it.

Jealousy; Imagine, right now, if any fan-created Warframe concept was accepted, assuming it was appropriate enough to the dev's game formula, that's not a popular one, like Typhus. The community would be livid. But, if Typhus was accepted, jealousy in other fan designers would cause them to be upset and to complain that Typhus was only added because he was popular. This is not a good interaction, and I expect that the popularity of some concepts out there is definitely a reason for the devs not wanting to accept anyone's work, even if it fits their game formula. It's just far and away much safer to use their own ideas, including inspirations they may draw from the fans.

Legal Reasons; While DE reserves the right to completely take any concept submitted to them, inevitably someone's going to feel cheated, and getting into a legal dispute with a fan doesn't ever bode well for the rest of the community. I mean, DE's not likely to lose a legal battle with a fan over a fan concept for their game, but it would definitely paint them in a bad light.

All in all, it's just safer and more efficient for them to use their own ideas, but that doesn't mean our voices aren't heard, it's just DE will never quote us word for word.

Just out of curiosity, and in the hopes of getting some input, if this thing were to be put in the game, what would you want it to be? Is it Lotus's body guard? Is it the leader of a rebellious Sentient Syndicate? Is it just a plain Sentient unit? Or is it something else? Let me know what you think.

Just out of curiosity, and in the hopes of getting some input, if this thing were to be put in the game, what would you want it to be? Is it Lotus's body guard? Is it the leader of a rebellious Sentient Syndicate? Is it just a plain Sentient unit? Or is it something else? Let me know what you think.

A plain, pure support Sentient unit. Floating energy shields, non damaging slow fields or repulsers, something to add a bit of chaos in maneuverability when fighting Sentients.

A bodyguard for Lotus could potentially make sense given that we still aren't 100% sure how Lotus, or any Sentient for that matter, functions, and it could be one of her last remaining physical proxies. However, I think it would be a bit weird since Lotus talks about swearing off her ties to the Sentients, so I think having a few  just hanging around would ruin that image.

As for a Syndicate, that would make the least sense IMO. Sentients are a sort of "hive" in a sense. Not a singular mind like the infestation, but more of an extremely tightly bound group that values paternal connections above everything. Having more "rebel" Sentients besides Natah would SEVERELY lessen their threat as a cohesive group from a story standpoint, and it would make Natah's betrayal and the Sentient's sorrow over their sterility lose a good amount of their impact.

Edited by StallordD