Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question, Why Doesn't Anyone Swear In Warframe If It's Rated Mature?

(XBOX)gnashermaster97

Question

whats that? a show? idk what it is....am I missing out ;_;

Seriously?

It was a TV show, a tragically short sci-fi series made by the guy who directed the Avengers movies.

Go watch it.

Edited by OniGanon
  • Like 1

Actually, there is one time where we the Players were really close to hearing a cuss get used.

Spoiler Warnings apply to any Rookies here from this point forth, because of a certain Quest you must do. If you've already completed this Quest (looking at all of you here that are Veterans), safely disregard this Warning.

In the Heart of Deimos Quest, you must help Loid and Otak, two minds sharing one body, one mind I can tolerate more easily than the other mind, clear out some Infested to gain access to the Necralisk. Once you do that for them and get inside, you are to speak to who I believe is an Infested Orokin nicknamed "Mother" due to the Entrati Family having lost their names. When you and Loid/Otak wake "Mother" up, she shares the most recent dream she had. Loid reassures her that the dream she had was all too real, causing her to come to her shocking realisation. Her response? "Oh. Oh. Oh, fu-"

On 2016-01-09 at 2:33 AM, Kai_Shiba said:

Swearing doesn't mean maturity. Honestly, if anyone used those words in a form of constructive argument, I wouldn't even bother.

On 2016-01-09 at 6:20 PM, Sabreracer said:

Using swear words just because you can does not make you an adult or mature.  The opposite if anything.

It's not about maturity. Some characters acts immature (or angry or something). Swearing may, for example, show that some mature character (that's how we have seen them so far) break and swear. This would make character less perfect (less Mary Sue).

On 2016-01-09 at 3:03 AM, NinthAria said:

Swearing can work when it fits, but I don't think it fits. Warframe and its characters have cultivated a certain kind of atmosphere and, along with that, a certain kind of dialogue aesthetic, one that I really can't imagine most curse words fitting into without sounding strange. The Corpus are more likely to act like smarmy rich people, the Grineer are more likely to shoot someone instead, the Infested can't talk, and the Sentients...well, listen to Hunhow's dialogue and tell me you can imagine him dropping an F-bomb. The only character I can think of who might swear is Maroo, as she's demonstrated herself to be somewhat irreverent in conversation. But otherwise it feels like it'd be really out of place to me.

A simpler answer also is that while swearing requires a mature rating, the reverse is not necessarily true.

It fits sometimes. For example Khela the Tame uses:

• "You maggot-minded mongrels, they're the enemy, not me! [crowd boos]"  (download)
  • "SILENCE!! Who said you could boo me?! [crowd boos]"  (download)

I think some form of current-day swearing would fit here.

On 2016-01-09 at 12:25 PM, OniGanon said:

You really think that, hundreds of years in the future, people are going to use the same curse words as we do now?

^ This

I find Language in WF to be not well thought. It's still make sense that language evolve. Some words that started as swear/bad words may be not recognizeable or be very "light" (something that people uses more often without bad word connotations). Other way around may happen as well. In my country "dziewka" (young girls, especially with easy jobs as cleaners or something) then it becomes "dziwka" (that means B word).

-------------------

On 2016-01-09 at 2:30 AM, (XBOX)gnashermaster97 said:

i mean the faction leaders obviously speak english to some extent,  and theydo make references to past civilizations culture(tyl regor references halloween).

you would think that some of the less formal assassination targets would let loose the occasional f-bomb.

What kind of English (accent)? Maybe things like "maggots" is used as swear words?

ps. it's nice to use "f-word" but it much better to use different ways to offend/annoy people. Some "simple person" my use f-word like words more often but more intellectual may use some more refined way to offend/annoy people.