Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Chance Of Getting Real Game Servers?

Taipion

I don't know how much DE saves through this "trick", but it can't be much really, effects are, again, like this:

- Start mission (with the intend to get some reward), no chance to say I want to host, why?

- Spend 10 minutes in the mission, everything's fine

- host migration

- "oh we are soooo sorry, can't connect you anywhere...

- we will return you now to the menu, no loot, no exp, and especially not that reward you were after, soooo sorry

- do it solo, again

Sounds like starting as 'Host' would solve your issue, and that is a feature I've wanted them to add for a long time. 

There is no way they are going to host games on separate servers. Peer to peer means no server costs or infrastructure.

Then why  aren't they even able to do a host migration reliably?

Any serious QA would have marked this as a show stopper.

[edit]: starting as a host would only solve 1/4 of all players problems with this.

Edited by Taipion

Then why  aren't they even able to do a host migration reliably?

Any serious QA would have marked this as a show stopper.

[edit]: starting as a host would only solve 1/4 of all players problems with this.

Because it is peer to peer. Host migration is always a problem if it is unsuccessful, but it is reliant on someone else in the party having a reliable enough ISP to host. 

Starting as host would actually solve all of your particular issues in this instance, as then you would never come across a host migration unless your own ISP did not have the throughput to provide for those connected to you. Then, at most, all you would see are people disconnecting from your game.

Because it is peer to peer. Host migration is always a problem if it is unsuccessful, but it is reliant on someone else in the party having a reliable enough ISP to host. 

Starting as host would actually solve all of your particular issues in this instance, as then you would never come across a host migration unless your own ISP did not have the throughput to provide for those connected to you. Then, at most, all you would see are people disconnecting from your game.

Sorry I failed to explain properly what I mean.

There actually are game servers that provide updates, and mange to connect players to each other, validate the mission rewards/loot and such...

There sure would be a way to mitigate this problem at least this far as there would be no chance that you are just returned to the menu, losing everything, if your connection and game are stable, it is badly coded at this point, I know I am not allowed to say such a thing on these forums, but that's the truth.

Sounds like starting as 'Host' would solve your issue, and that is a feature I've wanted them to add for a long time. 

I've actually thought about making a thread about this in the past. I too would like a "Host" button. I like to run most missions with random PUGs (set to Public) if my friends are not on, but there are times I wish I was hosting.

The only issue I could see with adding this is too many hosts and not enough clients if everyone chooses to host.

I've actually thought about making a thread about this in the past. I too would like a "Host" button. I like to run most missions with random PUGs (set to Public) if my friends are not on, but there are times I wish I was hosting.

The only issue I could see with adding this is too many hosts and not enough clients if everyone chooses to host.

Again, this would at best help 1/4 of the players, it is DEs mistake here, one so big it should not get past any halfway serious QA.

It would be really, really simple if someone would have put a littel thought into it.

1.) When forming the random group of players, make sure each of them can connect to all others and not only to the host, if one can't, don't add it to this group, simple enough.

2.) All players of a group should have a copy of the sessions progress/state, and DEs server should actually get updates of that every once in a while, too, let alone for countering cheats/hacks. This way the host is not "necessary" to continue.

3.) So in case the host is lost, DEs server should determine the new host, chosing the one most suitable, probably by the data the server gathered already by just doing it's job. (session is on hold from now on until end of (4.))

4.) All players should be able to connect to the new host due to (1.), if not, another check of connections is done and a new host is chosen (only oce), in the hopefully rare case one can not connect, that one is placed in a copy of that session to at least have a chance to finish it solo or get something when failing instead of getting nothing at all. (only then the session is resumed / mission continues)

(this only does not work for missions that require a key, but that's a whole different problem)

what do you think this is? the year of quality? hell no

almost nothing QoL happened 2015, what makes you think they'd add servers (at least for pvp) and give us the HOST option in pub games?

That reminds me of how I like the mature and helpful community this game has... :D :D :D

Very unlikely, even with the new parent company of DE probably having the resources to do so. Too much money. There are a lot of warframe players online at a time, and its worldwide.

1.) I have not asked for dedicated game servers, but guess what, others can do that, too."Too expensive" is no excuse here, server capacity is actually quite cheap, even for a f2p game.

2.) If they had done a good job at coding for the group finding and (player based) session hosting, we would not have a problem here at all.

If they had done a good job at coding for the group finding and (player based) session hosting, we would not have a problem here at all.

Considering I've never once had an issue with that, I can't relate. And I've played actively for over a year. When there's a host migration, I get a new host and reconnect, allowing me to finish the mission and get my rewards.

Very unlikely, even with the new parent company of DE probably having the resources to do so. Too much money. There are a lot of warframe players online at a time, and its worldwide.

Tell that to the dozens of other mmos that do have dedicated server, successful and unsuccessful alike. If there is a reason for a lack of dedicated servers in this game, it is hardly because they can't afford it. 

Edited by Cubewano

Honestly, I'm with OP. This just happened to me on one of my clan runs. Nobody's internet dropped, and we were all kicked out at the same time. We were on a T4 defense and on wave 25. We were doing REALLY GOOD! But then, everyone running in place for a moment, boop, back to the Liset with only a modest amount of focus experience for our troubles. No loot, no cash, nothing.

Digital Extremes, I implore you... don't focus on new weapons. Don't focus on new graphics. Don't focus on the next prime access.

FIRST THIS FIRST.

This sounds like OP demanding things he dosnt know the cost of or how badly it will slow down all future progress.  If you have a problem, host the games yourself.

Yes. I've been in games where the host would suddenly drop dead, but I always end up being transferred the responsibility of host and suffer no lashback. There a few methods to have servers operate and they've chosen the best method that suits them, it's not their #1 concern to pour money into a server, hire maintenance and add 50 more issues to deal with every update.

I don't know how poor your internet is, but if you are having these issues constantly this sounds more like your end than DE issue.  Again it's been stated everyone would host, you're 1/4 claim is beyond inaccurate, think 4/4.

1.) When forming the random group of players, make sure each of them can connect to all others and not only to the host, if one can't, don't add it to this group, simple enough.
If it bothered you so much, there's an option to set a max host ping that you'd accept so you wont ever connect to anyone with high or unstable connection. But then again, if someone is being selected as host and you're having issues then I'm pretty sure your connection isn't any better.

2.) All players of a group should have a copy of the sessions progress/state, and DEs server should actually get updates of that every once in a while, too, let alone for countering cheats/hacks. This way the host is not "necessary" to continue.
I can think of 6 ways this can be abused to create multiple sessions for a single mission to abuse multiple rewards without popping up as sus and how poorly it will work out for many people should the server come under even the slightly bit of stress the forums would explode.

You waste everyone's time posting a topic about this if you're going to refuse every logical answer people have given you without a reasonable reply or discussion. If it's clear you won't accept anything but "Yes you are right" and just saying what you want, so then this discussion is over. 

If there is a reason for a lack of dedicated servers in this game, it is hardly because they can't afford it.

I don't believe I said they couldn't afford it, I said that the new parent company has the resources to do so but they likely won't, not enough benefit for the cost.

I don't believe I said they couldn't afford it, I said that the new parent company has the resources to do so but they likely won't, not enough benefit for the cost.

You said it was too much money, which can only suggest you believe it to cost more than their budgets could reasonably handle. And again I direct it to basically every other online game in the world, which near all do appear to be able to handle their own servers, and explain to me why a game like Warframe that is far more successful and likely has a much larger budget, cannot. I think you believe these servers cost far more than they really do. And as for benefits, it resolves a cluster of issues in the game that regularly affect players, permanently, like host transfer failings, losing all your progress in a mission if you dc, laggy mission session because the host has a bad connection, or you have a bad connection to them, mission progress being stalled because of these bad connections (doors that just won't open), etc, which would vastly improve the quality of this game, especially since it preaches team play. 

What ever happened to dojos being hosted by DE?

Only thing Dojos are saved files to server.

Host wise still P2P

Currently their servers are just used as save stations to spit out rewards earned and save progress.

They did try to use servers to host Relays but feels like they given up and switched it to P2P.

Edited by Fionntan

This sounds like OP demanding things he dosnt know the cost of or how badly it will slow down all future progress.  If you have a problem, host the games yourself.

Yes. I've been in games where the host would suddenly drop dead, but I always end up being transferred the responsibility of host and suffer no lashback. There a few methods to have servers operate and they've chosen the best method that suits them, it's not their #1 concern to pour money into a server, hire maintenance and add 50 more issues to deal with every update.

I don't know how poor your internet is, but if you are having these issues constantly this sounds more like your end than DE issue.  Again it's been stated everyone would host, you're 1/4 claim is beyond inaccurate, think 4/4.

If it bothered you so much, there's an option to set a max host ping that you'd accept so you wont ever connect to anyone with high or unstable connection. But then again, if someone is being selected as host and you're having issues then I'm pretty sure your connection isn't any better.

I can think of 6 ways this can be abused to create multiple sessions for a single mission to abuse multiple rewards without popping up as sus and how poorly it will work out for many people should the server come under even the slightly bit of stress the forums would explode.

You waste everyone's time posting a topic about this if you're going to refuse every logical answer people have given you without a reasonable reply or discussion. If it's clear you won't accept anything but "Yes you are right" and just saying what you want, so then this discussion is over. 

1.) Your solution here does nothing to fix the problem at hand, but you knew that, right?

Oh wait, you say if I got a problem with the host, then MY INTERNET must be bad, sure thing!

2.) You just proved you have no clue of how this game works, you can NOT join after any objective has completed so this can NOT be abused in any way besides saving someone less than 5 minutes at most.

YOU waste everyones time trolling this thread with bold misinformation, or you just don't know any better, your choice.