The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Ai For Enemy Units?

Ibro156

I personally think DE should take a look into the AI. Don't get me wrong, its okay but there are quite few issues with it. For example, that one enemy that goes in circle (when not alerted). And the biggest issue is how they act towards invisblility; Ash, Ivara, Loki, Shade, Huras and Naramon. I know this will be kind of dealt with the crazy Kavat lady units. Seeing through invisbility, but that's only one enemy unit that can see them. But There are still Curpose, Infested, Oriken and Sentients that can't deal with them.

I know there are few of you Tennos saying invisibility doesn't make them invincible. Which I do agree with you, but if enemy AI has no way of dealing with it. So why not?

Well, that's my opinion. Tell me what you think? Is AI fine, or does it need a bit of work?

Edited by Ibro156

It needs pathing improvements, so that enemies don't jerk around like they're going through a seizure when trying to decide how to take cover. It's annoying to miss shots because they warp 3 meters to the side in order to hunker down behind a little obstacle that you probably have enough punch-through to ignore anyway. 

It needs vision cone refinements (especially corpus cameras) so that you can't waltz up in front of a lancer and stab him in the back, and the cameras need to actually indicate what they can see with the little visual effect they produce. I've walked right through that little beam multiple times with no reaction, and then the camera sees you when it's looking the other freakin' direction as soon as you encounter one in a vault. 

Edit: Invisibility is fine, we just need to remove the ability to be invisible all the time

Edited by DiabolusUrsus

I think the AI could use some work, and NPC pathfinding could use some work as well. It's easy for AIs to get stuck on a glitch in the navmesh, seems like. As for invisibility, I think perhaps alerted AI need to behave more realistically. Instead of just giving up, they should start spraying bullets or slashing randomly in the general area the invisible player was last seen. If a melee unit lands a hit it should temporarily alert any enemies who see it happen to converge their fire on that area. If a player bumps an enemy while invisible, similar things should happen. And if alerted enemies fail to 'find' the player after some number of seconds, they should take cover.

The kavat ladies should be able to track and point nearby units to the exact location of the player, rendering their invisibility useless until she is killed or the player has taken cover elsewhere.

Scorpions and Ancients are the ones that get my goat(s).

Every single one I encounter instantly uses the grapple attack. They'll sometimes start using it before you've even appeared from around a corner. Even worse, the grapple is fired directly at your position at the end of the animation. This means that if you're close enough, you're gonna be hit, regardless of how quickly you are moving. They'll even fire backwards if you are behind them when the animation finishes.

The problem is fidgety idle enemies is making the stealth for non-cloak frames that more aggravating. Unless they segment it further and draw the line where anything besides special rooms, it will never be practical. Instead of kinda making it work throughout the whole stage.

And "smarter" AI does not help them survive or kill us any faster. Its all down to fight or flight. close to cover? take time to cover. No cover? Keep firing tell you die. Its kinda wasted processing making them any more sophisticated. Bosses can stand to be smarter though, specially if its more than one working together.

Edited by Firetempest

Yes, you guys do make alot of good points. They shouldnt be aidle when not alerted. At least make them interact with each other, or give the illusion that they're doing some work. They also need better AI pathing, seeing them same room (when not alerted) just being crowded. I do programming at College, I know a bit compared to DE. AI shouldn't enter the room if there are more units then there should be in the room (when not alerted).

Invisibility isn't the issue, its how they act. The AI would completely ignore the player, when insible. Which isn't good for game, IMO. They should add nosie feature when inviable. For example; when shooting soma whole inviable, the AI would shoot in the general direction, when Boise was created.