The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ammo drops need a little work EX: Kohm

frostymm

So I decided to try the Kohm today... Not especially good or anything but I liked it regardless. It's a shotgun gorgon so that's pretty cool. It's not very ammo efficient but it has a huge ammo capacity so it's fine I guess. Except then I realized something kind of important....

THE KOHM BURNS THROUGH A SHOTGUN AMMO PICKUP IN ONE POOPING SHOT.

That's just ridiculous, if I run out of ammo on that thing I'm screwed, there's no way I'm using it for the rest of the mission. And that's just awful....

Suggestion: Make ammo pickups percentage based on your ammo capacity. I'm sure a billion other people have pointed this out but I guess I'm just doing it again. 

Even with the ammo mutation mod, Kohm chews through its ammo drum. I have a mutation mod on my Kohm, once I hit a certain enemy level, I usually whip out my sidearm or melee more than my Kohm because of how much ammo I expend to kill one target. This usually happens around the Lv40 mark on Molecular Primed targets. Yes, ammo efficiency is that bad.

Ammo efficiency is very rarely considered into the balance of the weapon, and if anything this is not a Kohm exclusive issue the game have. To many weapon have a very poor ammo efficiency and they have no reward for having it. One of the problem is that ammo pickups are to my knowledge normalized. A very good example would be to compare AKSomati and Lex Prime, they both get the same amount of ammo when you receive a pickup but AKSomati is way more ammo inefficient than the Lex Prime.

This is something that the weapon "balance" team need to take a look at and rework completely, if we are lucky it will be looked at with the Damage 3.0 they are working on.

All ammo drops should be fixed.

Ammo drops should just be universal and restore a % of total ammo pool, with mutation mods changed so that the drops restore a higher % of the ammo pool.

Granted, this will also take tweaking of the ammo pools of many weapons, considering some chew through ammo (the Viper family) and some don't (the Opticor).

Doubt that change is coming any time soon, but we'll see.

3 hours ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

Ammo efficiency is very rarely considered into the balance of the weapon, and if anything this is not a Kohm exclusive issue the game have. To many weapon have a very poor ammo efficiency and they have no reward for having it. One of the problem is that ammo pickups are to my knowledge normalized. A very good example would be to compare AKSomati and Lex Prime, they both get the same amount of ammo when you receive a pickup but AKSomati is way more ammo inefficient than the Lex Prime.

This is something that the weapon "balance" team need to take a look at and rework completely, if we are lucky it will be looked at with the Damage 3.0 they are working on.

I agree. The ammo efficiency of some weapons, even with ammo mutation equipped, just makes me not use that weapon for large stretches of time in the longer and higher tier missions. Tapping the fire button works fine when there are few targets, but when you start to consistently have 15-20 targets around you at all times, all while every few minutes requiring more and more bullets to kill them adds up to a weapon you really cant use for more than a few seconds and you cant rely on in a pinch. The synoid gammacor's syndicate proc pretty much is the only one i'll take with me into high level content like sorties because it can still be useful to you even when there's not a single bullet in the chamber.

Edited by (PS4) VariantX7

The Kohm is specifically designed to require the Shotgun Ammo Mutation mod. Period. No other way around.

Even after consequent changes/nerfs to its functionality, it still potentially has one of the highest burst dps in the game at full spool.

But, as mentionned above, it comes at a price.

I find it to be one of the few well-balanced weapon in the game, as it has an obvious counterweight to its huge damage.

10 hours ago, p3z1 said:

Ammo drops should give either:

- a percentage of max ammo pool, or

- a flat amount

Whichever is larger/more.

Then there would be no point to larger/smaller ammo pools. That is a very strong balancing point weapons have. You have plenty of ways to replenish ammo, a mod slot is nothing at all.

34 minutes ago, -BM-StormVanguard said:

Then there would be no point to larger/smaller ammo pools. That is a very strong balancing point weapons have. You have plenty of ways to replenish ammo, a mod slot is nothing at all.

We can meet in the middle. Percentage ammo gain is a bit of a bad idea for the exact reason you suggested, but how about my solution? I try to solve a few problems in there, such as the "special ammo max" getting messed up with Secondary Specials as well as trying to make the ammo pickups a bit more fair to high ammo consumption gear.

There's already no point to larger/smaller ammo pools with regard to modding (What real point is there in having twice as much ammo in total when you're guaranteed to be relying on pickups soon enough anyway?) - so I even tried to make these mods a bit more useful while keeping the viability of Mutation as well. Nobody slots Ammo Drum, let's be honest.

shameless self promotion go