Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strun Wraith Issues

Dogefighter

Two important things

One:  I main shotguns.

Two:  I've been gone for most of the last six months

Now, the shotties I used were Phage, Strun Wraith, and occasionally sobek.  The shotgun rework had a few issues, in my opinion.  Issue one is the lack of buff for the poor phage, which uses shotgun mods and draws from shotgun ammo, but apparently isn't a shotgun.  Issue two is the reload "improvement" for the strun wraith.  

The strun wraith, instead of a full reload, now reloads individual shots.  This would be fine, but in a game where you've got more enemies than walls half the time, this is often an issue.  The Straith also has that weird bulbous thing on the top of it that I though was where you reloaded, but apparently it's just an aesthetic bulb.

be1a163f0ead24ae18fddc4731acdc31.png < Magical Reload Bulb

Now, DE could change the reload, but individual reloads do have a certain appeal

I'd like a decent reload speed buff to the Straith, or primed tactical pump, because the Straith is a wonderful weapon, but the reloads put you in a lot of messy situations

tl;dr :  Strun Wraith is still good, but reloads are really, really risky mid-fight

Strun's a status shottie more so than a crit one. So if you want to hit and proc more enemies, rather than hit harder, you could try pairing Seeking Fury (15% reload 1.2m punch-through) with your normal Tac Pump for a total of 45% reload and hitting crowds better.

Or you could look for the Lock and Load mod from Sentients (or buy yourself one out of the Conclave), and get used to swapping out for your secondary for a few seconds instead of reloading.

I dunno. Options exist, I guess.

Edited by EDYinnit

Actually, the gun does best with a crit build. It's not a huge difference, but it is significant and worth pursuing.

I think both it and the Boar Prime could use another buff to crit stats to reinforce this, but...we'll see.

You have to think ahead when using this gun. It's best if you're running seeking fury, because full reloads are incredibly painful and SF ameliorates this some and gives punchthrough which the gun desperately needs. If you're not shooting, you should be reloading. Always feed shells into the gun at any opportunity. If you run it dry, get clear and reload in a safe spot, or use control powers to buy those seconds needed to get it topped up. If you can't get clear, keep reloading/shooting until you can for a full reload or transition to the secondary or melee (one reason I like this gun on Saryn and Valkyr--they have options when the primary runs dry).

If you're at the point it takes more than one reload to kill something, then you've hit the gun's limits with your present loadout. For endless modes, 4xCP should be considered mandatory to run this gun.

12 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

For endless modes, 4xCP should be considered mandatory to run this gun.

Dunno 'bout that, the beauty of 100% status Shotties is that you can e.g. strip Armor really easily with just a few shots.

(Even if a crit build is better damage-wise, it just seems a waste to not build the best status Shotgun for status, YMMV.)

Seeking Fury + Tactical Pump indeed makes the reload times quite managable IMO,

I'd just like the reload to work during Parkour maneuvers.

6 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Seeking Fury + Tactical Pump indeed makes the reload times quite managable IMO,

I'd just like the reload to work during Parkour maneuvers.

The reload works on almost all parcour maneuvers, i think the only one that interrupts it is rolling.

Im still waiting for a buff in reload speed, atm seeking+tactical its the only way to make it managable. And the last increase in magacine dindt help with this either.

I personally have 2 standar builds for shotguns: full dmg(maybe change for crit mods) or full status. On both builds seeking fury is a must, before it was the other punchthru mod, because i think its a must on all shotguns.

1 minute ago, painterman said:

The reload works on almost all parcour maneuvers, i think the only one that interrupts it is rolling.

Im still waiting for a buff in reload speed, atm seeking+tactical its the only way to make it managable. And the last increase in magacine dindt help with this either.

I personally have 2 standar builds for shotguns: full dmg(maybe change for crit mods) or full status. On both builds seeking fury is a must, before it was the other punchthru mod, because i think its a must on all shotguns.

The reload doesn't work on any parkour movements, the circle animation plays but it doesn't actually load shells in.

I'm sorry to say that here, but the new reload system of the Strun Wraith is horrible.

Why? Because you are CONSTANTLY reloading the weapon. Really.

I like new concepts, but this one is awful and particulary boring.

End of the point, the Strun Wraith originally have 1.4 Reload Time.  Now it is 5.0!!!!!! You can't be seriously supporting that. NEVER.

It was promising, then been reduced to nothing but boringness.

The loading system isn't my favorite thing about the gun. It limits it rather badly.

However, it is what it is. The gun is capable, but held back somewhat by this system. It can be worked around, but requires constant vigilance and must be catered to.

I'd have preferred that DE had left the gun with the old system. However, they didn't. I do like the gun and it has other very good features. It's just artificially limited by the new loading system. It can still do good work, so you learn to work around this new handicap as best you can.

21 hours ago, EDYinnit said:

Strun's a status shottie more so than a crit one. So if you want to hit and proc more enemies, rather than hit harder, you could try pairing Seeking Fury (15% reload 1.2m punch-through) with your normal Tac Pump for a total of 45% reload and hitting crowds better.

Or you could look for the Lock and Load mod from Sentients (or buy yourself one out of the Conclave), and get used to swapping out for your secondary for a few seconds instead of reloading.

I dunno. Options exist, I guess.

Yeah, I know, i run a viral + rad status build for status procs

Issue isn't damage overall for me, it's just reload speed

6 minutes ago, Dogefighter said:

Yeah, I know, i run a viral + rad status build for status procs

Issue isn't damage overall for me, it's just reload speed

Have you ever tried just firing without waiting for it to fully reload the magazine? With the reload mechanic the way it is, its reload speed can be translated into a fire rate when your magazine is empty (albeit much slower). It's almost enough to face-tank(with a non-tank frame) a Lvl 95 Heavy Gunner using procs and only constant reloaded shots without using any from the original magazine.

And isn't that why Depleted Reload became a mod to be used with Vectis Prime?

Edited by Maicael

17 minutes ago, Maicael said:

Have you ever tried just firing without waiting for it to fully reload the magazine? With the reload mechanic the way it is, its reload speed can be translated into a fire rate when your magazine is empty (albeit much slower). It's almost enough to face-tank(with a non-tank frame) a Lvl 95 Heavy Gunner using procs and only constant reloaded shots without using any from the original magazine.

I understand what you're saying, but my general complaint still stands

The old reload system was fine, and they even had what I thought was a magazine for it

It's naught but an inconvenience

2 hours ago, Maicael said:

Well, Depleted Reload was a thing with the Vectis Prime because it brought the mag size down to 1 for the purposes of charging and priming that chamber, while also boosting the reload. In that one specific case, the "tradeoff" of less bullets in a mag actually became more of a benefit.

16 hours ago, Maicael said:

You could reload the hole magazine during a heat proc, similar to the old boar prime before U17. Only one of the reasons why both of our status shotguns are currently absolute pointless for high levels(horrible reload speed on the strun and lack of fire rate + 30% status on the boar prime are others). This is even before you consider that you are still better off with a sancti Tigris or Vaykor Hek 1h into solo void survival, that would be even true compared to the pre U17 working versions of the boar prime and strun wraith however back then they did actually perform as high level status weapons reasonable well(if you did play a frame that could compensate for her lack of dps by lifting her base dps) that would at some point in the armor scaling become a reasonable alternative to dps weapons.

Depleted Reload on the Vectis prime is a band aid mod for people that don't want the 2 shot magazine and all the issues it did bring with the manual reload after the first shot. However damage on the Vectis prime is always front loaded you have your target similar to the Vaykor Hek or Sancti Tigris down after you shot it. On status shotguns it is the other way around, damage is always at the end of the clip, because you use corrosive proc stacking(the only reason to ever use a status shotgun since they nerfed ancient healer aura stacking with each other) to soften up your target while your damage with the shots is only sufficient to kill the target after multiple hits.

Currently there is little to no reason to use it. While DE being super bad at balance and shifting the game just to crit dps ftw for high levels, status shotguns have very basic problems that would need fixing before you could say they would be at least "theoretical" at some absurd high armor point(that is not even reached in extra armor L100 grenier sorti) viable.

Edited by Djego27