Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips for new players

kypros12345

Question

Hi i'm kypros12345 and here are some tips for you when u start playing warframe

TIP 1: when you start playing warframe and finish the tutorial the first chat you see is the region chat, be careful what you ask in region chat for what I have seen most players are toxic towards newbies asking questions on the chat.

TIP 2:  you will get to choose 3 starting warframes, i suggest you pick Excalibur, its mere purpose is to be easy to use for new players.

TIP 3: DONT GO TO PVP, its awful you'll be destroyed by exalt blades and fully conclave modded players and after 1 round everyone leaves and you're stuck in the lobby with the announcer creepily staring at you and no 1 enters the  lobby while u wait.

TIP 4:PATIENCE <---- you will need this in order to fully enjoy the game

TIP 5: If you have any questions and you are at larunda relay ask if there's a guide of the lotus that can answer your question(or ask me ;) )

and that's  my 5 tips for new players i hope you enjoy the game.

25 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, kypros12345 said:

tip 5 : pls dont use the emojis IMO they are annoying af

Oh wow. I'm speechless.

I am amazed.

I am flabbergasted.

Tip 1-3 are good pieces of advice that belong on absolutely no "top 5" list. Tip 4 is nonsensical ("hey if you are a new player and you want some plats just take your level 13 Excalibur and your level 23 Mk-1 Braton and go do a T3 Survival for one hour and then you can sell the stuff, it's so easy for a new player, so much better than supporting the developers").

But tip 5 is just basically "don't do stuff that I find annoying". Really?

Honestly, this is least meaningful "top 5" compilation of tips for new players that I ever saw.

to 1:

Not all veteran players are like that. Some really want to help new players and can offer helpful advise.

to 4: If noone buys plat anymore this whole game wont last.

Would be better to give advise on what items are worth buying, like slots, catalysts, cosmetics and what Items you should rather farm for, like warframes and weapons.

Also their are discounts.

to 5: I actually like them

If had to give a tip to a new player it would be to join a clan with helpfull people and to use warframe wiki frequently.

I'd add onto/rebut some of those tips:

Tip 1: I don't spend much time in regional chat, so I'd take your word on that. Otherwise, a new player can go to the Mercury Relay and ask for help there. There will be Guides of the Lotus hanging out there who can answer their questions. Otherwise, go in the recruiting chat (this is where I spend quite a bit of time) and ask for help doing a mission there. But be clear as to what mission you need help with when asking, as it will give players a sense of what they should bring for it.

Tip 2: Excalibur is a great starter frame, but pick the one you want. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Also Volt and Mag are to be reworked soon to make them just as good as Excalibur, according to the devs.

Tip 3: I don't do PVP in this game, but I have heard that it's a steep hill if you are new to PVP.

Tip 4: Yep - You will need tons of patience, or at least time management to make the game more enjoyable.

Tip 5: Experiment! Seriously. You will never know what you like until you try different combinations of things. Also check the wiki and youtube for ideas on how to get started, then tailor it to your own play style.

Part 2:

tip 1: ignore "pro" players, these players are wayyyyyy worse than you(no offense) when you start the game they act so big and strong and "wise" with their "mastery" rank and make you feel like you're awfull (use the ignore option )although don't worry there are good experienced players that want to help ex the guides of the lotus whose mere purpose is to help by answering any questions you have.(obviously im not 1 of them)

tip 2: find a good active clan with friendly ppl who can help you and teach you how the game works.

ACTUAL tip 2 : shoot the cameras so you dont have to pass the annoying lasers.

tip 3: take your sweet time with spy missions and figure things out <---- this will be really  helpful with moon spy missions for they are really really hard

tip 4:dont always buy plat although its a good thing you are supporting the devs and the game (they have to feed themselves 2 you know) but heres an alternative on how to get plat you can use the trade chat to sell either junk prime parts or valuable prime parts (obtained from void missions) and if you get lucky a player will buy said parts for an ammount of plat you 2 agree on.
tip 5 :PATIENCE<------ this is the most important thing you will need for the game for some obvious reasons when you start to play cough foundry cough cough RNG cough

thank you for reading leave a like if you found this useful feel free to add more tips below

thank you for your feedback and thank you for showing me that i made this list mostly stupid and unhelpful for new players hope the new version is better

Tip 1: ignore jerks. MR doesn't matter and jerks are certainly not limited to the high MR. Do listen to people who are giving you actual advice in a non-condescending manner.

Tip 4: Do buy plat (Support DE), but realize you can sell parts and mods to other players on the trade chat. Syndicate Weapons and mods are a fairly stable for this

^ These aren't really tips in my book that is worth remembering. It's not really chronological. Try to give tips that will prevent new players from making mistakes or getting lost in the game. Like these: I doubt any new player would even read this though.

1. You are given 50 plat when you first start playing in Warframe to help you get started. Spend it only on Warframe slots or weapon slots. I recommend getting Warframe slots first, because the first few weapons you will be leveling up is not worth keeping.

2. Keep leveling up new weapons: Every time you level up a new weapon, you gain affinity. (Everything you level up goes to level 30.)The affinity goes toward your Mastery Rank which is important later on. It allows you to go to relays, and acquire weapons that are restricted to mastery rank. Try to reach to at least mastery rank 12 eventually. To reach to the next mastery rank, you have to take a test simulation. If you pass, then you level up in rank. If you fail, you wait 24 hours to retake it again.

3. If you find a weapon that is worth keeping, then remember to put mods on it. Without mods the weapon would be quite weak. This applies to everything that you level up like Warframe, Weapons, Sentinel, etc.

4. Never delete your Warframe, if you don't have any slots: Then try getting some plat through trade. Which I will explain about on 5.

5. Learn how chat works in this game: Clan/ Alliance/ Region/ Recruiting/ Trading. For clan/ alliance / and region chat, you just chat normally. For recruiting and trading, you will need to understand some terms before you can do some recruiting and trading. In recruiting many people will do H [  ] or LF [  ]. H [  ] means Hosting blank. So this means they are hosting a mission like H credit farming. LF means looking for, too be honest, just ignore these no one really invite them. So just look for H [ ] and then click on their name and message them with inv. This means you want them to invite you the mission. ( If they don't invite you, it means its full ). In trading, people will use WTB, WTS, WTT. WTB = Want to buy [  ], WTS= Want to sell [ ], WTT= Want to trade [ ] for [ ]. If they put a letter P behind the [ ] on WTB and WTS then that means thats how much plat they are willing to give or receive.

6. Find friends to play with. Without friends, you're going to find the game quite boring.

TL:DR: If you're a new player, find someone who is experienced and willing to help you get started in the game. I recommend talking to Guides of the Lotus: People who are assigned to help new players. They can be found in relays.

Edited by Calwon5

This is actually pretty bad advice.

1) Just put Mastery Rank out of your mind. That doesn't matter. Sure, some of those high rankers know their stuff, but, uh, trust me, a lot of them are clueless. Yeah, some people can be jerks sometimes, too, but advice is advice, so take it with a grain of salt and do your own research. Take help where you can get it.

2) Don't bother shooting cameras, it's a waste of time. You can just roll through laser grids.

3) Sure, get a feel for the Spy missions at first, then once you memorize where the things are, just rush through them as fast as you can. Nothing's more annoying than waiting for the guy at C to figure it all out. If you feel you're going too slow, then build some ciphers, and rush through every trap and use them on the hacking terminals.

4) Don't waste your time with trying to trade unless you have a million spares or already have the items you're selling already built. You'll get discounts on plat! Buy plat then and support the devs. Trading's really not worth it unless you have a ton of stuff or something worth a lot.

5) Patience is throw-away advice. You will hear it and see it everywhere.

6) Look around in Region chat! Ask for help, there might be a lot of rude people not paying attention, but there are Guides of the Lotus monitoring chat most of the time (they have purple text), as well as non-guides (such as myself and others) popping in from time to time to answer questions/help.

7) Please, try not to paint yourself as a bastion of advice for newbies if you're actually not.

Edited by Exploderizer

Part 3:

this is me making an ACTUAL helpful list again for the 2nd list i made was completely unhelpful and downright stupid so heres my 3rd list and i hope its helpful

tip 1: if you want to socialize i wouldn't recommend the region chat for most of the time i was there ppl attacked new players and it was toxic idk if its better now for i haven't touched it.

tip 2: patience all mmos require patience in order for them to be fully enjoyed 

tip 3: when you are at idk larunda relay look for a guide there if you have questions or a helpful player can answer your questions when a guide of the lotus isn't there(guides of the lotus are experienced players who were recruited by DE to help new players they have a lotus sigil on their chest and are found in relays mostly in larunda tbh)

tip 4: take your time when modding weapons or frames so you can think whata mods fit your gear the best ( heres a wiki link because if i would try to explain you something it would be probably wrong http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mods_2.0)

joke tip: dont read my 2nd list its stupid and pretty unhelpful

tip 5: if someone threatens you either report them or ignore them dont let them bully you around so you can enjoy the game.

if you found this list helpfull leave a like and pls tell me if this wasnt helpful or stupid so i can change it and put more tips if you like with your comment

Tip1 use your 50 starting plat for warframe and weapon slots

Tip2 http://warframe.wikia.com

Tip3 Joining an active clan with helpful  members is quicker and easier then learning and playing solo

Tip4 Buy all of the fully built weapons available for credits in the market and rank them to 30 and sell them for quick and easy early mastery fodder

Tip5 Save Reactors/Catalyst/Forma  for warframe/weapons you really enjoy or that can carry you a while through tougher content

59 minutes ago, kypros12345 said:

this is me making an ACTUAL helpful list again for the 2nd list i made was completely unhelpful and downright stupid so heres my 3rd list and i hope its helpful

tip 1: if you want to socialize i wouldn't recommend the region chat for most of the time i was there ppl attacked new players and it was toxic idk if its better now for i haven't touched it.

tip 2: patience all mmos require patience in order for them to be fully enjoyed 

tip 3: when you are at idk larunda relay look for a guide there if you have questions or a helpful player can answer your questions when a guide of the lotus isn't there(guides of the lotus are experienced players who were recruited by DE to help new players they have a lotus sigil on their chest and are found in relays mostly in larunda tbh)

tip 4: take your time when modding weapons or frames so you can think whata mods fit your gear the best ( heres a wiki link because if i would try to explain you something it would be probably wrong http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mods_2.0)

joke tip: dont read my 2nd list its stupid and pretty unhelpful

tip 5: if someone threatens you either report them or ignore them dont let them bully you around so you can enjoy the game.

if you found this list helpfull leave a like and pls tell me if this wasnt helpful or stupid so i can change it and put more tips if you like with your comment

1. Partially agreed. Some people in region can be quite rude a lot of the time. But sometimes, you can get legitimately helpful people if you just ask around.

2. Well, this game does require patience. When you get to the point where you want to start maxing mods, especially the R10 Rare and Primed mods, it's going to take time to farm those cores. Ranking up your MR is going to take time as well. If you don't have patience, this game isn't for you. 

3. Good piece of advice, but Veterans are usually good at helping as well.

4. Yes, there are a lot of helpful resources to help you mod your gear if you aren't sure how. Warframe Builder is good despite the negative things I've heard some people say about it. You can also ask veteran players, as they usually can find the most broken builds for their favorite weapons.

5. Well, I haven't had a problem with this yet. But, I do play solo a good portion of the time. When I'm not playing solo, I'm doing a Sortie with PUGS, gold core farming at Hiericon, or helping my clan out. But there are some jerks in the game, it can't be avoided. 

Now, some big ones I want to add.

-Always buy the 4K Platinum pack when you get 75% off.

-Get a clan.

-Use Warframe Builder if you're not sure where to start.

-It may be tedious, but CLEAR the Star Chart. This way, you won't have to rely on somebody to taxi you every time you need an alert/farm/other.

-Spend time maxing your mods, mainly, the "essential" mods that are used in nearly every build. Takes time, but you won't regret it.

-Avoid recruiting if you can help it. Nothing but spam and people looking for very specific things, most of which a new player will definitely not have.

Edited by DuskLegendary

59 minutes ago, kypros12345 said:

Region is fine for socializing as long as you don't spam it, recruit in it, or ask questions that can be answered by the wiki. Players get tired of this very quickly. It can be and always has been toxic, so I'd recommend you start with Larunda if you get offended easily.

1 hour ago, TyrannosauRayz_13th said:

Srry but, i dont agree on this. "ALWAYS" ? what about the players who have 404: money not found? :3

This is true, but when you can afford it, you should definitely buy a little bit of Platinum. I mean, that 75% doesn't come around every day you know? But agreed, sometimes money can be a little tight.

5 hours ago, DuskLegendary said:

This is true, but when you can afford it, you should definitely buy a little bit of Platinum. I mean, that 75% doesn't come around every day you know? But agreed, sometimes money can be a little tight.

Yeah. 600 hours of playing i didn't spend real money on warframe. And never will be

7 hours ago, TyrannosauRayz_13th said:

Yeah. 600 hours of playing i didn't spend real money on warframe. And never will be

Well, there's nothing wrong with that. But, sometimes I like a little headroom and I do like a little bit of instant gratification every now and then. You certainly don't have to buy anything because everything is obtainable through grind, but a little power boost every now and then is greatly appreciated. Sometimes when I'm making builds, I'm lacking a single mod I need, so I usually end up dropping a little Platinum on it to avoid the trouble.

1, 2, and 5 are awful advice. 

1) Region chat is basically the only way to socialize outside of squads, and it'll be hard to find friends to play with otherwise. You can get pretty friendly with some people there, it's not all bad. Also, uh, Region chat is extremely useful, as again, outside of relays, it's the only place to ask questions and get answers. There are always people in the chat waiting to be helpful. 

2) Seriously, this is throwaway advice that applies to like literally every situation and needs no repetition. It certainly doesn't belong on a "top" list. 

5) This shouldn't have to be said. This isn't actually advice that helps anyone. It's something you'd hear a teacher say to a kindergartener. Everybody out there knows how to deal with a jerk. 

Edited by Exploderizer

2 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

Oh wow. I'm speechless.

I am amazed.

I am flabbergasted.

Tip 1-3 are good pieces of advice that belong on absolutely no "top 5" list. Tip 4 is nonsensical ("hey if you are a new player and you want some plats just take your level 13 Excalibur and your level 23 Mk-1 Braton and go do a T3 Survival for one hour and then you can sell the stuff, it's so easy for a new player, so much better than supporting the developers").

But tip 5 is just basically "don't do stuff that I find annoying". Really?

Honestly, this is least meaningful "top 5" compilation of tips for new players that I ever saw.

that was mostly the point with this list tbh my last list i made was actually more helpfull and it is pretty l8 while i was writing this and i dont think straight while im tired thank you for your oppinion and ill try to edit this in order to make it actually helpfull thank you for your feedback