The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Performance post 18.5

eyeopener

Can everyone please try the following and let us know if they make any difference? 
By now I hope you already have the latest GPU drivers installed, so.. 

• If an Nvidia user, disable "Nvidia PhysX Effects" in the Display Settings -- or alternatively, disable 64-bit from the launcher settings
  • If an AMD user, disable 64-bit from the launcher settings
  • If all else fails, Verify/Optimize your cache in the launcher settings

AMD users: If you notice a significant improvement by disabling 64-bit from the launcher then could you please submit a support ticket to us with a copy of your EE.log / DxDiag? We are in the process of tracking down the issue and any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Crackling audio / poor FPS: Can you try lowering the sound volume through Warframe's sound settings? If this does not work, then try disabling 64-bit from launcher settings. 

Keep in mind these are not intended to be permanent solutions. We are just trying to pinpoint what exactly is causing everyone to experience these issues.

Also, if you happen to come across any crashes at all then please post a comment in this thread with the WAR-#### that appears in the crash popup. If you do not see a crash popup then submit a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log / DxDiag. (make sure the EE.log submitted is taken immediately after the crash has occurred)

Info on how to find your EE.log can be found here.

Thanks everyone

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

Getting sound corruption when using my Gorgon Wraith for multi session play. If it crashes again while doing the audio corruption again, I will post the War#. As is, I have been having to quit out of the game every so many matches for the built up Gorgon sounds to stop garbling over other gunfire.

I tried switching back and forth between 64-bit and 32-bit mode, there's no difference in performance, so I stayed with 64-bit. I've sent a report from the crash I had earlier (which was caused by disabling the high shader quality setting), but I forgot what the WAR-#### code was haha.

My specs:

I7-4930k @ 4.5Ghz 

Gtx 970 w/ no OC

32 gigs ram

Since the patch I drop to about 40 fps on most tile sets, I usually hover at 120 or higher. In heavy fights I went as low as 90. I did the usual tips, everything but re-downloading the game.

Hi,

I personally do not have a performance problem, in fact the game is running more beautiful and faster than ever before... But I seem to recognize some of the symptoms people are having here, and would also explain why game runs great on my end, so I would like to propose an idea to whomever wants to try it:

Now, yes I do realise this is not a conventional solution, and yes I realize that, under any normal circumstances I would have my door kicked down for this by devs, but:

Some 3 months ago I bought a new laptop, which has nVidia GTX 860M in it. I tried a few games at first and I was immediately disappointed that for some reason, the graphics driver constantly kept crashing and I was basically unable to run any GPU intensive apps.

This is where I recognize the similarities:

- Crackling sound

- Performance degrading with time (while OK at the start)

- Game crashing, black-screen lockups requiring computer restart

- Ocassionaly, crash to desktop with message that nVidia driver stopped working

The fix:

Revert to driver version before 358.50

I am currently using 355.98 (the first previous available, back from 358), and since I reverted to THAT version, all the games suddenly started working marvelously on my laptop (finally alleviating my fear it's a defect GPU chip, to which all Google searches pointed, but I digress).

You can find driver archive here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

It works for me, maybe it helps somebody!

4 minutes ago, Anubias said:

When warframe crashes it does not give me crash report even and if ill do something else it gives me bluescreen main file in that bluescreen are NV_mini.sys nad before clean instal it was NV4_Disp.dll

Those are nVidia driver files, by "NV" prefix, did you see my post above yours? Maybe it'll help.

1 minute ago, Astronaux64 said:

yeah my game is also unplayable turned off 64 bit and everything runs at 20 fps

Do you have an nVidia or Radeon card?

My settings are:

DX10 - ON

DX11 - ON

64Bit - ON

Everything in game enabled/maxed except Runtime Tessellation.

I am unsure what is the new Reverb setting people are talking about but I haven't touched that, so it should be default since update.

3 minutes ago, Eudaimonium said:

Those are nVidia driver files, by "NV" prefix, did you see my post above yours? Maybe it'll help.

Do you have an nVidia or Radeon card?

My settings are:

DX10 - ON

DX11 - ON

64Bit - ON

Everything in game enabled/maxed except Runtime Tessellation.

I am unsure what is the new Reverb setting people are talking about but I haven't touched that, so it should be default since update.

i have nvdia

I turned off directx10, directx11, and 64-bit mode and all the problems I've been having for the past month are now replaced by frames as smooth as butter. It's still about 40 ish frames only but I'm fine with that and it feels great

Just now, RyanGo said:

I turned off directx10, directx11, and 64-bit mode and all the problems I've been having for the past month are now replaced by frames as smooth as butter. It's still about 40 ish frames only but I'm fine with that and it feels great

What's your hardware configuration?

I would never suggest actually turning off DX10 and DX11, instead keep those on but turn off problematic settings inside the game. The largest performance eaters are:

- PhysX if you don't have nVidia cart (or have a lower-end one)

- SMAA antialiasing solution (use FXAA instead)

- Depth of Field and Motion Blur produce larger performance drops on lower range cards, while producing negligible performance drops on higher range cards (large number of texture buffer samples go much faster on faster memory/higher memory bandwidth cards)

- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (similar, depth texture testing)

Keep everything except that up, and game should look great and feel fast.

I've been having some... somewhat inconsistent issues with lag spikes and frame drops since last night.

For the record: I had zero issues during 18.5, and I had no immediate issues after downloading 18.5.1. It was only after I shut down my computer after 18.5.1 that issues started cropping up.
I will enter a mission and see no issue. I will begin the mission and see no issue. I will be halfway into a mission, and suddenly I will drop frames left and right, timers on my abilities will slow to a crawl (so Cloak Arrow will drop 10 seconds after a minute has passed on the Mobile Defense timer), I can barely move if there are more than 10 enemies in a room, and I'm at risk every moment of freezing my computer. I'll leave the mission and I'll continue to drop frames within my Liset.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 700-series graphics card, and for a while now I haven't even had the option to turn PhysX Effects on. Last night after the lag spikes began, I updated its drivers, I ran a virus scanner, I cleared caches, everything seemed fine... until this morning, when the lag spikes came back.

This is my Task Manager before a lag spike, and this was during one. Note that Warframe's Memory consumption increases by 50%. It was bad enough that my Task Manager actually crashed twice trying to get these images.
Upon examining this, I remembered that I got a little pop-up telling me that there was an update available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat moments before the lag spikes began - and aside from opening Paint to capture these images, AdobeARM.exe was the only difference between the two lists. I disabled the AdobeARM.exe and it seems to be running smoothly... for now. Just wanted to throw that out there to see if this helps anybody else.

Edited by Archwizard

9 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

This is my Task Manager before one such lag spike, and this was during. Note that Warframe's Memory consumption increases by 50%. It was bad enough that my Task Manager actually crashed twice trying to get these images.

Upon examining this, I remembered that I got a little pop-up telling me that there was an update available for Adobe Acrobat moments before the lag spikes began - and aside from paint, AdobeARM.exe was the only difference between the two programs. I disabled the AdobeARM.exe and it seems to be running smoothly... for now. Just wanted to throw that out there to see if this helps anybody else.

Oh Spirits, 111 background processes! :D

Hit Start, type "msconfig", and hit Enter on first search result.

Go to "Startup" tab, and disable EVERYTHING that's non essential, then hit "Apply" -> "Exit without restart", then restart at your earliest convenience. You should notice a very large change in your computer's boot up time as well.

I'm also seeing nVidia's Shadow stream service, disable that specifically in the driver.

And yeah Adobe updater is the most annoying and useless thing ever. For the record, every modern browser can open PDF files (some without plugins). If you got that, you don't need Adobe readers.

Edited by Eudaimonium

9 minutes ago, archmon1 said:

Having the same issue, hord of mobs= game UNPLAYABLE!!!!

What's your hardware configuration, and what are your in-game settings setup like?

Also, since when is it unplayable with large hordes, since 18.5 or longer?

Hotfix 18.5.2 has just been released and we are hoping that it may provide a solution to anyone experiencing issues with PhysX effects.

This is for both Nvidia and AMD users.
If you happen to enable 64-bit again please feel free to post in this perf megathread and let us know if you still experience problems. 

Thanks for your patience everyone.