The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Frost Prime Is Very Weak

DonnyMariwani

Question

Hello.

I have a Frost Prime with an orokin reactor installed, and with a decent build, but with no formas. 

In sorties like level 60-100, I die so many times. I do not know why my armor is so weak. My weapon is powerful (Boltor Prime 4 Forma), but my Warframe is so weak and it gets frustrating for people to keep having to revive me.

Does anyone have a good build or any tips on making a good frame for high levels?

13 answers to this question

You need to play to his strengths.

Frost excels in mobile defence, excavation, intercept and normal defence (not sortie defence). Normal sortie defence is better handled by limbo (perma rift the hostage).

Stat wise, go for large globe range and good efficiency. Medium power str. Duration can be sacrificed.

A few other tips:

• Globe "3"
    • Infinite duration. Max of 4 separate globes. (No need duration mod).
    • Each cast within an existing globe will add to its shield strength and re-center the globe (so no need for str or armor mods)
    • To make an invincible globe, keep spamming globe within the globe (good efficiency is needed here).
    • Damage taken by the globe during the 1st 4 sec of each cast is added to the shield str. 
    • Globe pushes away all mobs within per cast.
    • Globe can be cancelled by casting "1" on it from the outside
    • Chilling globe augment will help a lot
    • Max range helps a lot. More room to hide in. In void defence, a good sized globe centered on the objective is needed to prevent bombard splash damage from 1 shotting the objective at high levels.
    • For complete area control, cast 1 globe on the objective and 3 globes at the perimeter.
  • Avalanche "4"
    • Freezes mobs. A minimal duration build will still cause a small stun.
    • Main utility is to strip armor, not damage or stun. Leave that job to other frames.
    • Takes 250% str to strip 100% armor. However, having str at 100% and removing 40% armor is often enough to make a heavily armored mob killable.
  • Ignore skill 1 and 2 when using such a build.
  • Playstyle
    • Make globes
    • Strip armor from heavy mobs
    • Protect objective
    • Protect team mates
    • Dont face tank
    • Leave the damage dealing and crowd control to other frames. Or use your own weapons.

Redirection, Vitality, and Steel Fiber to help increase your survivalbility. 

Avalanche is a good way to CC your enemies and prevent them from fighting you, use it when surrounded by enemies.

Freeze can help prevent from Heavy units like Eximus or Bombards from applying pressure to your group or you can place it down in a choke-point to slow down enemies who are chasing you and lead them into a slow-trap.

Ice-wave is good for a quick temporary CC that slows everyone for a short time, buying you enough time to relocate into a safer position to fight enemies in.

Snow-globe doesn't last too long without stacking the HP so don't tend to rely on it.

The BEST thing to do and this applies to all frames is to fight with your mobility, don't stand still more than you have to without knowing you will safely tank the damage. Always be on the move and only stand still to take aim at a specific target, then immediately return to mobile fighting.

Edited by Aciaj613

7 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

Make advantage of your frost globe and avalanche. Those abilities should defend you more than enough for those levels!

So much this.  Frost isn't a face tank, he's more of a battlemage.  Set up shop in your bubble, use Avalanche to lock down the map around you, use the Ice Wave augment to snare enemies, then, from the safety of your bubble, blow everything into the Void.  

As far as build goes, generally, you want to max your efficiency - a spammy bubble is better than a super high strength one that you can't recast easily (though Zenurik gives a lot of leeway on this now), keep positive duration to maximize your cc, and have range at a comfortable level.  I like my range somewhere around 160 to 190 - manageable bubble with decent Avalanche range.  Strength used to be my last concern but with Zenurik, or if you have a reliable EV, strength and efficiency can be balanced to taste.  If you're going for complete armor stripping, you'll need 250% strength - EV support levels.

PS.  Get a Tonkor or Torid or Simulor or something that can take out groups - a Boltor Prime against a horde of level 100's isn't necessarily going to be the fastest killer - and the best way to stay alive is to kill everything else first.

48 minutes ago, Aciaj613 said:

Redirection, Vitality, and Steel Fiber to help increase your survivalbility.

Yep, max these.  Frost is almost as tanky as Rhino.  It's only possible to die if you stand there not fighting back, not taking cover.

On 3/11/2016 at 9:52 PM, yiLuxiON said:

You need to play to his strengths.

Frost excels in mobile defence, excavation, intercept and normal defence (not sortie defence). Normal sortie defence is better handled by limbo (perma rift the hostage).

Stat wise, go for large globe range and good efficiency. Medium power str. Duration can be sacrificed.

A few other tips:

• Globe "3"
    • Infinite duration. Max of 4 separate globes. (No need duration mod).
    • Each cast within an existing globe will add to its shield strength and re-center the globe (so no need for str or armor mods)
    • To make an invincible globe, keep spamming globe within the globe (good efficiency is needed here).
    • Damage taken by the globe during the 1st 4 sec of each cast is added to the shield str. 
    • Globe pushes away all mobs within per cast.
    • Globe can be cancelled by casting "1" on it from the outside
    • Chilling globe augment will help a lot
    • Max range helps a lot. More room to hide in. In void defence, a good sized globe centered on the objective is needed to prevent bombard splash damage from 1 shotting the objective at high levels.
    • For complete area control, cast 1 globe on the objective and 3 globes at the perimeter.
  • Avalanche "4"
    • Freezes mobs. A minimal duration build will still cause a small stun.
    • Main utility is to strip armor, not damage or stun. Leave that job to other frames.
    • Takes 250% str to strip 100% armor. However, having str at 100% and removing 40% armor is often enough to make a heavily armored mob killable.
  • Ignore skill 1 and 2 when using such a build.
  • Playstyle
    • Make globes
    • Strip armor from heavy mobs
    • Protect objective
    • Protect team mates
    • Dont face tank
    • Leave the damage dealing and crowd control to other frames. Or use your own weapons.

Thanks for the help!

Frost may have a nice armor value, but in sorties - more generally in high level missions - you're gonna be dead within 2 seconds if you remain under enemy fire, whatever your health/armor.

The key to completing sortie missions is to adapt your Warframe to the mission type, especially if you're playing in public squads. So if you're a new player, the best advice I could give you would be to get as many Warframes as you can, get them modded right, and come back to sorties then.

Frost_Prime.jpg

Keep mobile, keep enemies slowed with your 2, place your 3 in choke points and spawn points (you can have 4 globes up at once), use your 4 for some hard CC when needed. 1 is a small radius panic freeze, I only ever really use it against bursas.

I solo most sorties with this frost build.

Swap out Redirection for Vitality against Infested.

Edited by senseijake