Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Polearms need some love regarding their moveset

teiuaros

As we know, polearms have only 2 stances that have very limited combos.
Bleeding Willow and Shimmering Blight, which have only a single combo at max upgrade, besides the default combo.
These feel unfinished and don't feel very unique (due to the lack of any other combos). 

If we could get updates to these stances, or better yet, a new stance, I think many people would appreciate that--especially considering Lesion was just released.

Edited by Tuuirayn

We need current polearm stances to have at least one more combo each, we also need to have more polearm stances overall and we as well need a whole different weapon category and stances for Sydon (and maybe Tonbo).

Polearms are relatively popular and often used, have a lot of good weapons in the category with two of them being introduced just recently, yet polearm stances are stuck on "we are trying out melee 2.0" stage as it seems.

Agreed. Shimmering Blights *only* combo is awesome, but the stance as a whole is woefully incomplete, and I find myself gravitating back to Tranquil Cleave, Vengeful Revenant, Tempo Royale, Final Harbinger, and other complete, high quality stances that perform and adapt to pretty much any situation. If each polearm stance got a "stabby stabby" single target combo and a somewhat stationary, "clear the area around me" combo, I would be perfectly happy with them.

Just don't use backwards arrow key bindings. Just...don't.

3 hours ago, Leuca said:

You don't hit red crit territory for a long time. 10% is not a very high base.

Would be nice if the buffed Orthos Prime's crit to 20%. Tonbo and Sydon are more base damage/status Pole-arms, anyway.

As for the stances, I know Shimmering Blight strikes more Horizontal and Bleeding Willow strikes more horizontal...but they honestly look too similar to me. They really should rework both stances and add a new stance that is more stab and thrust focused to fit Sydon's theme.

EDIT: After looking at all the Pole arms again, they are all built for status except for Orthos Prime. Lesion has 30% status, Serro, Sydon, and Tonbo have 25% status. Orthos and its Prime sit at 15% status.

I would change Tonbo to 20% Crit, 20% Status with 80 Base damage, Orthos Prime to 25% Crit, 2.5x multiplier with 65 base damage and Sydon to 15% Crit with 75 base damage. Just so they're not all status weapons.

Edited by (PS4)DBR87

I feel like the current combos are basically the same thing. Lots of twirling and leaping that makes it hard to focus on one target without dancing around them like you're trying to woo them at a club. Give me something functional, but still stylish. Vulpine mask shows us that they can give us good stances and combos. But MAN do they need to come back and give polearms a tweaking. And melee in general but we all know that's never going to happen.

On 3/12/2016 at 10:11 AM, Magneu said:

Agreed. Shimmering Blights *only* combo is awesome, but the stance as a whole is woefully incomplete, and I find myself gravitating back to Tranquil Cleave, Vengeful Revenant, Tempo Royale, Final Harbinger, and other complete, high quality stances that perform and adapt to pretty much any situation. If each polearm stance got a "stabby stabby" single target combo and a somewhat stationary, "clear the area around me" combo, I would be perfectly happy with them.

Just don't use backwards arrow key bindings. Just...don't.

What you said. Currently loving the lesion, but using that one good combo over and over again gets boring. Makes me appreciate the Vermillion Storm on my Ripkas.

Making a new stance is expensive, time-consuming, and completely invalidates the stances that already exist. The release of Vengeful Revenant took forever and, shockingly, didn't make Iron Phoenix look any more appealing.

I think that Shimmering Blight and Bleeding Willow should be merged into a single stance that has the full variety of combo branches. SB has a very nice single-target combo and BW has an absolutely fantastic mobbing combo that would complement each other very nicely.

Edited by SortaRandom

The general animations of the Polearms are my biggest griping points at the moment. Watching them happen, nothing tells me 'this guy is wielding a staff/bladed pike and he is ready to tear an army into shreds'. Instead, it tells me 'look at the pretty cheerleader'. Which is quite common in most of the stances -they are unwieldy, unrealistic and way show-offy. Nothing wrong with showing off, but almost all stances in the game leave a lot to be desired.

Here's to hoping that with DE getting a MoCap part going, they'll get us some revamped, badass-looking stances :D