The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excal too squishy

DakotaStorm

Question

Excal is quite a good frame. He's not as tanky as Valkyr or Rhino, but what he lacks in huge piles of armor, he makes up in big damage potential and one of the best CC abilities.

Radial Blind is amazingly good. With decent Duration and Range, you can easily stun enemies and then proceed to either make yourself scarce or take them out before they stop being stunned. And Exalted Blade is super awesome, because it takes (most) of your mods on your Melee and adds it to your slashy-slashy fun-time kill-death-murder spree.

Don't worry so much about Powers 1 and 3, since while they're useful at times, 2 and 4 are truly Exalibur's best powers.

So mod up yourself with some decent shields and health, then go for Power Strength, Efficiency, Duration, and Range. All go a long way in making Excal awesome, so you shouldn't try to short yourself in any one area unless you REALLLLLLLYYYYY know what you're doing. And if you're having problems with Excal, survey says that you probably need to try a nice, average, but WORKING build that's generally good in all things first.

2 minutes ago, sniperbro-captian-PS said:

Or just take another frame ?

I use excal for pretty much everything, it's a good all-round frame, t4's are so far the only time I have an issue with survivability. 

I'm currently leveling rhino and almost ready to build Loki prime. 

1 hour ago, EvilKam said:

Ah, Excalibur.  He's my my most used frame for a reason.  Prior to his god-tier rework to grant him Exalted Blade, I learned to rely upon one power.  Radial Blind works against enemies level 1 and enemies level 100.

Max out your efficiency and that blindness is your bread and butter.  Yes, exalted blade is awesome, but Blindness stops the map.  Armor on Excalibur?  Forget it.  It's useless.  I'd rather have max Redirection/Vigor.  Shields regen on their own.

If you're taking damage, pressing 2 is a great idea.  You will suddenly take less damage.

My main build is Stretch, and nearly max rank Overextended.  Combine with 170% efficiency to make the power cheap, and then admittedly, I bring a melee weapon with 4 forma and TONS of mods.  Sure, I only do like 15-30k damage with EB, but seriously, that's enough for darn near anything in the game.

This, really. The best way to survive as Excal in higher levels is to do your best to avoid being hit in the first place, and both Radial Blind (map lockdown) and Slash Dash (invulnerability frames for health, zero-delay escape button) accomplish this nicely.

If you use EB a lot, then you may want to disable "align attacks to camera" for melee, since this will let you move in ANY direction while blocking and wavespamming in the direction of the camera. Great for moving in unpredictable zigzags while showering enemies with waves. (Warning: Sprinting will cause the auto-blocking to aim in the direction that Excal is facing, rather than the camera. Avoid sprinting when you need to play defensively.)

If you use regular melee a lot, then you might have to either make liberal use of Blind or Naramon (if unlocked) to survive against lategame enemies.

You're getting to the point in the game where you just cannot stand still and trade blows with enemies. As enemy level increases your armor and health pretty much save you from a quick mistake, a QUICK mistake. You have to keep moving, use cover, use abilities etc. Lower level you can stand in the middle of 10 things shooting you and slowly aim and shoot at whatever is shooting at you, not when it gets much higher.

I will really have to say move and parkour a lot as a lot of the previous posters have stated. You don't want to be a bowling ball, you want to be the annoying bouncy ball no one can catch. Bullet jump the minute you are under heavy fire, flip over enemies to get out of their range. Once heavy gunners, ancients and bombards come out I prioritize taking them out before anything else. Radial blind is the best. Hit them with one and finish them. Continue killing while looking for another big fish. Spam the radial blind if you have to to stop getting hit. My favorite build with Excalibur does not utilize any corrupted mods and everything is in the positives for easy general skill. I do however like to use syndicate weapons as they restore the bit of health wittled away when they proc. 

Most importantly, find the loadout and playstyle that fits you. Yes, Excalibur is a good all-rounder but if you don't fully use his kit you might have to experiment with some other frames. Maybe you can make an all-rounder frame out of another toolkit.

If you're using exalted blade, use melee block and try to keep the incoming damage in front of you. Swords and the two handed weapons have the highest block value (look it up on wiki) or just block with exalted blade, it makes surviving far easier.

Excalibur is one of my favorite frames, and I rely on his Radial Blind a lot more than Exalted Blade.  He is more squishy than some of the other melee frame, but using most of his abilities will keep him alive longer.  Like others said, you'll need to use Radial Blind more.  To get even more power out of Radial Blind, I recommend getting the syndicate mod Radiant Finish which gives finisher damage bonus on blinded enemies.  Crowd control (and not get hit in the first place) is key to surviving at high level.  Definitely move around a lot especially when you're using Exalted Blade. 

13 hours ago, sniperbro-captian-PS said:

it's easily do-able. I don't even notice a change between t3 and t4.

I don't disagree for the most part, but not everyone is that good at the game and many are still learning.  Making enemy damage more than triple between the two tiers doesn't really make sense.