Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regarding the upcoming sound improvements.

DeMonkey

At ~50 seconds in you can see Banshee off to the left, firing away with their Braton. The sound is only coming from my left headphone. This is actually slightly uncomfortable in my opinion, not only does it feel unbalanced but realistically (yes I used that word on the Warframe forums) the sound would reflect off the wall to Inaros's right.

Posting this in GD since I want to know what other's opinions are on this. Am I the only one who doesn't like this change?

Apparently not the only one. 

I'm sure that coding sound to reflect off of walls into the correct ear is difficult. Perhaps it could be done by increasing the volume the closer the frame is to wall. I.E. 5m away from a wall on your right, someone shooting on your left. 100% volume in left ear, 50% in right ear. At 1m away it could be 100% in left, 80% in right.

Something along those lines perhaps would imitate reflection. But what do I know, I've never touched coding.

Edited by DeMonkey

Definitely needs some tweaks! Of course there may be work still to do.

Even in an open space the sound would never only be heard from one side, never. It can be very quiet on one side, sure, but to have nothing at all will always feel out of place.

I like most of the effects demonstrated but agree with OP, the mix should have something on the opposite side.

Just now, Egg_Chen said:

Even in an open space the sound would never only be heard from one side, never. It can be very quiet on one side, sure, but to have nothing at all will always feel out of place.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Hope no one thinks I want sound to be the same on each side.

Depending how this thread goes I may tweak the OP and ask for a move to feedback.

A bit more echo acoustics definitely, complete absence of sound on one side is a little odd. I want to hear it with other sound effects, like footsteps, I think the change would give a better definition of mob movements, left right, front behind type of thing, allowing to locate enemies direction by sound as well as sight. Nuances like this to me really add to the feel of the game.

Thanks for the responses everyone.  To answer a few questions:

1.  Yes, the sound will feel like it is reflecting off the wall once this is fully integrated into the game.  However, it will not be 100% accurate to the real world because we still want you to be able to detect where an enemy is coming from.  So there will be a bit of sound that will reflect off the wall, but in a more subdued fashion.

2.  Keep in mind that this test was demonstrated in a test room that is completely devoid of other sounds.  In a real Warframe map there will be ambient sounds playing, other player sounds, and AI sounds.  This example was just to demonstrate the tech in a level where you could fully hear it, at its base level.

3.  There is still a lot of tuning we have to do!

All in all though, this change is very exciting for us and we can`t wait until it goes live!

19 minutes ago, DE_George said:

Thanks for the responses everyone.  To answer a few questions:

1.  Yes, the sound will feel like it is reflecting off the wall once this is fully integrated into the game.  However, it will not be 100% accurate to the real world because we still want you to be able to detect where an enemy is coming from.  So there will be a bit of sound that will reflect off the wall, but in a more subdued fashion.

2.  Keep in mind that this test was demonstrated in a test room that is completely devoid of other sounds.  In a real Warframe map there will be ambient sounds playing, other player sounds, and AI sounds.  This example was just to demonstrate the tech in a level where you could fully hear it, at its base level.

3.  There is still a lot of tuning we have to do!

All in all though, this change is very exciting for us and we can`t wait until it goes live!

Thank you for the reply.

Not asking for complete realism, the fact that there will be some semblance of reflection is more than enough. Will more videos be released as tuning takes place? Very interested to see how it progresses.

On 3/21/2016 at 3:20 PM, DeMonkey said:

Thank you for the reply.

Not asking for complete realism, the fact that there will be some semblance of reflection is more than enough. Will more videos be released as tuning takes place? Very interested to see how it progresses.

Yeah, we plan on doing a feature with a full write-up as well.

• 3 months later...