The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mesa and Fear to Ash's Future

SoulHunter2008

The difference between Bladestorm and Exalted Blade, is that Exalted Blade forces Excalibur to stay engaged. He's still vulnerable to attack, he can still move, and he has to aim Exalted Blade and learn the combos.

Bladestorm's not very engaging, or very good power design IMO. It doesn't fit in with the rest of his kit either.

Edited by ImNotJellyAtAll

I agree 100%  with SoulHunter about Ash, though can't say anything about mesa, wasn't playing WF when that rework happened, but barely see someone playing mesa so guess that says something.

Anyway , yes Ash is indeed an absolute nuke frame, but I don't see how it's "terribly unbalanced". You press 4 and a group of 18 enemies insta die, true, but the same is with Excal or Valkyr. Their 4th's are as much devastating as Ash's, and Excal's is arguably even more powerful. Hell, even Oberon's reckoning is an atom bomb which can kill much more than 18 enemies at once in lower lvl missions.

If you want to talk about "interactivity" take a look at Ember. Activate WoF and thats it, you kill everything around you and can go do shopping because it goes on constantly (unlike 18 kills like Ash) and requires the same amount of interaction as Bladestorm - absolute zero. To be honest thats how I farm T1-T2 survivals - put on power efficiency and go make some coffee because WoF does absolutely everything for you. Or take Oberon again, press 4 and everything thats around you dies without any targeting or interaction. 

The argument about "unbalance" could be that is Ash invulnerable during bladestorm, but Valkyr is quite literally immortal so...

1 minute ago, StroggQuadwolf said:

I agree 100%  with SoulHunter about Ash, though can't say anything about mesa, wasn't playing WF when that rework happened, but barely see someone playing mesa so guess that says something.

Anyway , yes Ash is indeed an absolute nuke frame, but I don't see how it's "terribly unbalanced". You press 4 and a group of 18 enemies insta die, true, but the same is with Excal or Valkyr. Their 4th's are as much devastating as Ash's, and Excal's is arguably even more powerful. Hell, even Oberon's reckoning is an atom bomb which can kill much more than 18 enemies at once in lower lvl missions.

If you want to talk about "interactivity" take a look at Ember. Activate WoF and thats it, you kill everything around you and can go do shopping because it goes on constantly (unlike 18 kills like Ash) and requires the same amount of interaction as Bladestorm - absolute zero. To be honest thats how I farm T1-T2 survivals - put on power efficiency and go make some coffee because WoF does absolutely everything for you. Or take Oberon again, press 4 and everything thats around you dies without any targeting or interaction. 

The argument about "unbalance" could be that is Ash invulnerable during bladestorm, but Valkyr is quite literally immortal so...

Ash is NOT a nuke frame, he is a Stealth/assassin frame, that for some reason has a super strong nuke as his ultimate that has 0 Synergy with the rest of his kit. The only thing Bladestorm does that fits the frame is that it uses finishers as damage source. His ultimate doenst even stealth kill on unalerted enemies (doesnt apply stealth modifier).

12 hours ago, CrudShuzKong said:

How about no.

You sound like that one person, who really likes playing games, if he can somehow circumvent playing the actual game.

If you like Bladestorm the way it is now, Warframe is not a game you should play, since it appearntly is too much effort to bother with if you can't just hit that one button and take a timeout to go make a coffee.

My advice? Get your sh*t together and play warframe for what the game is about or go back to WoW or wherever you got the idea that Bladestorm is good game design.

Not gonna say that you are totally wrong about mesa's rework though, that one isnt much better than the original (but it is better nonetheless).

What's with ya'? He typed in the way that he didn't come off looking as some #$&(% or pi#$ed-off dude and then you enter in this thread as one, first comment.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP. It was bad enough that they change him from doing true damage and making his damage be a proc on slash damage. And taking with it his ability to one hit one kill, not to mention the decrease in the duration of the animation which i understand that one. it was just a tad to long. but then the truly ruined it with the inception of his clones that was not needed in the first place. Part of the true thrill at least for me is the animation. and knowing that I did the damage and got the kills. not some fabrication. I mean with Loki's decoy, Saryn's molt and Mirage's hall of mirrior's there are far to many clones in the abilities of the frames. And the tweaks to Ash prime as opposed to regular Ash were a true let down. (ie) most frames seemed to get a buff to power amount or ability buff. Not a speed buff or armor. As he is envonerable to damage while in the animation any way. When those were not what needed buffing. Ash's concept imo was that he was meant as a damage frame. (and as some Myself included he would say, he was meant more as a solo frame anyway. But, alas this is a co-op game and that's why people don't like his utilities or the lack there of, cause he doesn't support the party. Or have the shields to serve as a tank. So any rework do Bladestorm other than removing the clones. would surely dismantle his functionality as an assassin. and maybe just maybe the animation could be updated but I fear that even if this were worked on that it would cause more bugs that problems would it solve.

Ash prime Master race. Master Assassin.

Edited by Ookami_Nihonto

15 minutes ago, LunarEdge7 said:

I'm both afraid for Mag AND Ash's rework.. more afraid of Mag's, actually..

As for Ash, hope that his ulti gets nerfed just a weensy bit, maybe limit to 10 kills? Idk.

Mag was already shown off, looks really good.

Ash's 4 is just plain bad game design that feels good, but is annoying and disrupting as hell.

31 minutes ago, LunarEdge7 said:

What's with ya'? He typed in the way that he didn't come off looking as some #$&(% or pi#$ed-off dude and then you enter in this thread as one, first comment.

I overreacted a bit because i spent the whole day before that trying to explain to some kids that Bladestorm has no place in this game, since warframe is not about pushign a button and then watch a movie of how cool your frame is.

My rage was not directed at OP directly rather at the people that the current design of ash enables to circumvent palying the game and instead just hammering one button like in wow some mmorpg. I am sorry that the decent players who like him right now will have to watch him go, but his Baldestorm just doesnt have a place in warframe, being disruptive to teamplay and discouraging real gameplay.

So what I get from all the people here, who like bladestorm the way it is, that it is not because the power is a on button kill all lazy power (which im really glad to about), but rather that you just reaaaaally love the badass assassinations he pulls off. So what if i tell you that there are ways to rework him bringing back the old, sexy animations from back when while actually buffing the frame's damage, making him more desireable in a team and way more interactive at the same time?

Here is a suggestion that you might actually like (read it through to the end, you wont like the beginning):

• 4 button makes Ash extend his hidden blades as melee weapon with own stance, mod scaling and so on.
  • it does not drain energy, but also doesnt have super great stats like the other exalted weapons, also disallows EV ect.
  • What it does have is built in covert lethality if the enemy is unaware of ashes presence (undetected or invisible). (maybe only with augment)
  • while active the teleport skill gets augmented to immediatly start the finisher after the teleport and also showing a combo window doring the finisher in which you can aim at another enemy and recast for half the cost.

Boom! Easy self made bladestorm, with target choices, high damage and sexy animations (that doesnt make a whole room invincible). Since finishers do not allow you to pick up energy orbs while playing, you will only be able to refill your energy by breaking the combo thus keping it from going infinite. Maybe smokescreen needs a bit of a shorter cast delay so you actually dont get rekt after popping out of the combo.

I really hope that you guys dont lose all you love in your favorite frame and that this may be decent way to preserve some of what was, while improving the interactivity.

Edited by CrudShuzKong

Just now, CrudShuzKong said:

So what I get from all the people here, who like bladestorm the way it is, that it is not because the power is a on button kill all lazy power (which im really glad to about), but rather that you just reaaaaally love the badass assassinations he pulls off. So what if i tell you that there are ways to rework him bringing back the old, sexy animations from back when while actually buffing the frame's damage, making him more desireable in a team and way more interactive at the same time?

Here is a suggestion that you might actually like (read it through to the end, you wont like the beginning):

• 4 button makes Ash extend his hidden blades as melee weapon with own stance, mod scaling and so on.
  • it does not drain energy, but also doesnt have super great stats like the other exalted weapons, also disallows EV ect.
  • What it does have is built in covert lethality if the enemy is unaware of ashes presence (undetected or invisible). (maybe only with augment)
  • while active the teleport skill gets augmented to immediatly start the finisher after the teleport and also showing a combo window doring the finisher in which you can aim at another enemy and recast for half the cost.

Boom! Easy self made bladestorm, with target choices, high damage and sexy animations (that doesnt make a whole room invincible). Since finishers do not allow you to pick up energy orbs while playing, you will only be able to refill your energy by breaking the combo thus keping it from going infinite. Maybe smokescreen needs a bit of a shorter cast delay so you actually dont get rekt after popping out of the combo.

I really hope that you guys dont lose all you love in your favorite frame and that this may be decent way to preserve some of what was, while improving the interactivity.

and here it is the infamous making abilities so they have no real function because now not only do they not do the damage to be a viable ability but are now dependant on the other abilities and require the possibility of having to target on each ability cast. Almost in the nabhourhood of Saryn's rework, which I don't want to get into cause of all the toxicity of that mega thread that's still going on. Not everything has to be synergized.

1 hour ago, CrudShuzKong said:

I overreacted a bit because i spent the whole day before that trying to explain to some kids that Bladestorm has no place in this game, since warframe is not about pushign a button and then watch a movie of how cool your frame is.

My rage was not directed at OP directly rather at the people that the current design of ash enables to circumvent palying the game and instead just hammering one button like in wow some mmorpg. I am sorry that the decent players who like him right now will have to watch him go, but his Baldestorm just doesnt have a place in warframe, being disruptive to teamplay and discouraging real gameplay.

Yeah but that's YOUR opinion bro and it bears just as much weight as anyone else's...  You may 100% believe that what you're saying makes perfect sense, but people are allowed to have a different point of view and owe you nothing with regards to justifying their own feelings, etc.

Not everyone comes to the forums here looking for a good argument.

also...  Why do people who play the game for two months believe they know better than people who've played for two years on what belongs or doesn't belong in the game?

Edited by sushidubya

1 hour ago, Ookami_Nihonto said:

and here it is the infamous making abilities so they have no real function because now not only do they not do the damage to be a viable ability but are now dependant on the other abilities and require the possibility of having to target on each ability cast. Almost in the nabhourhood of Saryn's rework, which I don't want to get into cause of all the toxicity of that mega thread that's still going on. Not everything has to be synergized.

What is wrong with synergy? I like synergy. He does. One of the DEs said they'd like to make the frames' abilities synergise with each other in the future (iirc). 

Besides, more frames in the future will turn out to be copycats or super-similar movesets (looking at you, Wukong and his copycat 1 and 4 with an erection bonus..) so this'll make them a little more different..?

15 hours ago, SoulHunter2008 said:

So I have been an Ash main since i started playing this game 2 years ago and stuck with him through all the bugs and glitches that made him almost unplayable at the start ( blade storm glitches were the best i liked floating and unable to get back down to the ground without my Loki friend switch teleporting me). With all this recent talk and possible confirmation with Blade Storms rework fear sets in as I look to another frame that had such a rework for more "interactive" experience, Mesa.

When Mesa was released she did have some issues as do most frames out the gate but the thing that was super cool that everyone thought was stupid when they heard about it was the "Turret" Peace Maker. Turns out this ability was awesome not only did it do great damage and have set role (i.e. i sit here and kill things that try to come here) it came with its own balance that fact that she could not move...period leaving her an easy target at high levels no matter how much damage she spit out. So time went and the usual  balance passes came around to Mesa but instead of tweaking numbers and that being the end due to public outcry that she was boring and lazy she got this new and in my opinion worse "interactive" Peace Maker that completely ruined any sort of flow she had during Peace Maker. If your not on a target your not firing if you are not careful and move the "focus ring" just off of mobs she STOPS FIRING. Peace Maker was about this "Turret" that revs up with the amount she has shot and while shooting does not slow down (for fear of losing the damage bonus/fire rate) but with this new mechanic the times when she stops are more frequent and she never really gets a chance to open up. Now I'm not saying i have numbers to fully back up what I'm about to say but think to yourself how often do you see a Mesa in your games anymore cause i can say that while there might be one here and there her play rate has definitely dropped I know the amount I played her almost stopped completely.

Now that that is out of the way we can move on to the true matter at hand that is Ash and Blade Storm. While I do understand that some people think it is a stupid broken skill I think that the balance is there and that the ability does exactly what its supposed to. Ash's Blade Storm is a target based AOE'ish damage ability with high finisher damage however the number of targets is fixed he can not under any instances hit more then 18 mobs (or one mob 18 times or till it dies) and during this period he is unable to take any other action. Now your saying well that is the problem but that is the BALANCE the trade-off for the high damage and spam-ability (based on how you mod him) if you choose to Blade Storm you are choosing to say not hit the air container in Survival to not help your team defend the target in Defense you are making the choice to use Blade Storm instead of helping a downed teammate. This is the balance the choice to decide hey now is a good time to Blade Storm over here or wait a few and make sure everything is fine before i commit myself to this amazing animated tribute to the glory of assassination (grated the animations are a little outdated and unstable compared to some of DE's current stuff).

To close on this can of worms i want to say with ults like Exalted Blade, World on Fire, and Tentacle Swarm that have no cap to mobs hit are just as spamable (if not toggled) why the outcry that Blade Storm is boring or broken. Mesa got broken cause people wanted more "interactive" ult lets not let the same mistake happen and ruin what is what makes Ash who he is, an assassin, not some caster that sits back he goes in there and gets his hands dirty before the enemies know what hit them and while this doesn't let the player control him due to the speed he is going from target to target if you make him go slower to give control he will lose that sense of shock and awe that we get in the animation.

Now I would like to call on ALL tenno to join with me in my selfish wish to have Mesa reverted back to how she was(with tweaks to damage of course) and to make sure Ash never share's her fate of an "interactive" ult.

Sorry for the long rant just do not want my favorite Frame to go the way my second favorite went.

SoulHunter2008

Did You just take us thru the movie Warriors Way?

Ninjas vs Cowboys

It was abit of a headache to read, but I read your great wall of text. Please try to break it down as someone here said into paragraphs. It was quiet the eye sore to read.

Even more frustrating how you made the Ninja to Cowgirl Transition.

IMO, Peacemaker could use a QoL by adding Complete Mobility, Drain per shot, and scale damage off of secondary.

Ash, now Ash is a complete different story.

IMO I feel Ash as a whole kit can work with the Bladestorm concept I have.

Shuriken could scale off of melee mods and could use 2/4/6 shurikens this would help shuriken in higher levels and allow to strip more enemy armor instead of 2 enemies.

Smoke Screen could use an AoE cloud that chokes enemies inside and keep the same invisibility mechanic as is, no siting cloud mechanic Ash isnt Ivara.

Teleport could use a synergy with Shuriken Bleed procs, allow Ash to teleport to enemies hit by Shuriken and still suffer the bleed effect for more interaction

Bladestorm makes best sense to be made a Stance and I will explain as I have in multiple threads, Ashs is the first Warframe with innate weapons from his ability as stated in Wikia. Ashs Bladestorm uses hidden blades named Katars which is a Melee weapon not a primary or secondary this is why it makes sense to be a Stance. Ash is a melee Frame focused with Combo Multipliers and being implemented Steel Charge and Fury+Quickening which is melee mods and Quickening being a Channeling mod for melee, a Stance utilizes melee and a channeling mod functioning for a Bugged radial AoE makes no sense. Bladestorm stance is a better way to go about reworking Ash imo

I can stat other small details that are just coincidences and my observations, as the comparison of Ash+Manics, Ashs Bladestorm acts similar or Manics behavior is same as Ashs Bladestorm. 

Ash parts being dropped from these pesky rodents made Me realize there behavior being very similar to Ash indeed as stated in wikia

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Manic

TopEnemy

Dashing in for quick strikes before falling back to the shadows, the Grineer Manic is difficult to catch and deadly to ignore

As its description implies, the Manic is a fast-striking and elusive melee unit, capable of cloaking to close in on foes and having an ability to Stealth Kill unsuspecting players (the player must be facing away from the Manic to have this happen).

Manics are capable of cloaking for periods of time to close distance across open ground, their masks however will still shine, indicating their current position. When cloaked, they will be able to move very fast and erratically teleport in an unpredictable manner.

All info was gathered and linked from Warframe.com/wikia

I try to subject my ideas and opinions from Warframes wikia facts and in game mechanics. Just wanted to share My ideas and reseacrh with You.

2 hours ago, AKKILLA said:

Did You just take us thru the movie Warriors Way?

Hidden Content

Ninjas vs Cowboys

It was abit of a headache to read, but I read your great wall of text. Please try to break it down as someone here said into paragraphs. It was quiet the eye sore to read.

Even more frustrating how you made the Ninja to Cowgirl Transition.

IMO, Peacemaker could use a QoL by adding Complete Mobility, Drain per shot, and scale damage off of secondary.

Ash, now Ash is a complete different story.

IMO I feel Ash as a whole kit can work with the Bladestorm concept I have.

Shuriken could scale off of melee mods and could use 2/4/6 shurikens this would help shuriken in higher levels and allow to strip more enemy armor instead of 2 enemies.

Smoke Screen could use an AoE cloud that chokes enemies inside and keep the same invisibility mechanic as is, no siting cloud mechanic Ash isnt Ivara.

Teleport could use a synergy with Shuriken Bleed procs, allow Ash to teleport to enemies hit by Shuriken and still suffer the bleed effect for more interaction

Bladestorm makes best sense to be made a Stance and I will explain as I have in multiple threads, Ashs is the first Warframe with innate weapons from his ability as stated in Wikia. Ashs Bladestorm uses hidden blades named Katars which is a Melee weapon not a primary or secondary this is why it makes sense to be a Stance. Ash is a melee Frame focused with Combo Multipliers and being implemented Steel Charge and Fury+Quickening which is melee mods and Quickening being a Channeling mod for melee, a Stance utilizes melee and a channeling mod functioning for a Bugged radial AoE makes no sense. Bladestorm stance is a better way to go about reworking Ash imo

I can stat other small details that are just coincidences and my observations, as the comparison of Ash+Manics, Ashs Bladestorm acts similar or Manics behavior is same as Ashs Bladestorm. 

Ash parts being dropped from these pesky rodents made Me realize there behavior being very similar to Ash indeed as stated in wikia

Hidden Content

All info was gathered and linked from Warframe.com/wikia

I try to subject my ideas and opinions from Warframes wikia facts and in game mechanics. Just wanted to share My ideas and reseacrh with You.

I am sorry it was late and I just wanted to make sure I said everything I had on my mind (way too much sorry). But i just want to clear up the thing I'm comparing is not the frames themselves but they way DE has and (my fear) is handling there abilities. Mesa could have use some tweaks to make her Peace Maker a much more viable (team wise) and not an OP ability not a complete overhall that destroyed what made her really unique. Now Ash is under that same DE spotlight that instead of small tweaking they are going to change the ability (we don't know to what extent) and this is what worries me is the past knowledge of what they did to Mesa.

12 hours ago, CrudShuzKong said:

I love Mesa and still play her, I just never use the 4...

DE made some big mistakes with her rework/nerf and I think they are fully aware of it, but it is clearly not a priority for them right now to make her stronger again.

Same here.  Mesa is my boss killing frame now.  I bring her for assassination missions and only hit Peacemaker when I am focusing at the boss alone.  The rest of the mission I use nothing but Shatter Shield, and if I'm not doing an assassination, she stays in the Liset because that's all she's good for now.

As someone who does not spend a whole lot of time playing Ash, but also someone who has bought every Prime Access since I started playing, including Ash Prime, I do hope DE is extremely careful reworking him.  I actually wouldn't mind if Bladestorm spawned 2 clones (or preferably 3, since Ash himself isn't participating any more) and they just ran off to kill things for me while I retain use of my guns/other abilities, etc.  There's actually a bit more synergy between abilities this way.  I could see my clones throwing their own Shurikens when I do, for example, which would double the damage of Ash's 1 (or alternatively, double the number of targets) and that MIGHT be a worthwhile trade-off for the lack of immunity.

But mostly, Smoke Screen needs at least 50% higher duration.  If Ash is going to lose his immunity during Bladestorm, he MUST have longer lasting invisibility to compensate, otherwise playing Ash is just suicide.

I can agree. And I used Mesa the day she was released to ps4 and she was awesome I still use her today but I complain about peacemaker sometime but I try looking past it..I know everyone is on pc here but I understand for both ash and mesa.  ASH is a awesome frame and I think he needs a few tweaks on his animations and glitches.  I use to think he can have something like quick time event to blade storm the greater you time it the higher the critical! Im not here for fighting or anything I'm just spreading my opinion. 

The problem with Ash has never been his damage output, its' that he's not very fun to play, or to play with. Bladestorm requires very little from you and then just asks you to be entertained by the same set of cutscene animations. Meanwhile your team can't attack anything you're dancing on, and believe it or not, Ash's damage is not so great that its' worth it to deny the three other people on your team their ability to do damage. Then a Disruptor or Healer shows up and you pretty much found the focal point of 75% of hatred directed at Ash. 

Even if they do keep the 'invincible cutscene attack' they really need to figure out a way to let Ash actually play with the other people on his team.I sincerely hope that Ash gets more attention than briefly touching up Bladestorm, because he really needs it, but if they just got rid of the "Ash is busy with this enemy, plz wait" crap then that would be okay.

Arcane Trickery be damned. They need to nerf invisibility if they're going to let everyone with a stick be perma-invisible now with Naramon: Shadow Step. Since Shadow-Step is a thing, our purchase of Arcane Trickery has already been a waste of money. It's very much no longer necessary. 

Edited by Acos

Ash is nowhere near balanced... Ash is the last of the press 4 to win species and be needs to change.  His ability is basically press 4 to watch a terrible 80s ninja movie kill everything... That is being filmed by a camera man on crack. 

There are two types of ash players.

Type 1: uses a build based around constantly using bladestorm and being invincible.

Type 2:  the guy who builds for Ash's other abilities but when they start dying alot/ it gets tough they turn into a type 1 ash player

I understand your concern because DE dropped there pants and rubbed there butts on mesas face. But something needs to happen to this guy. I'm tired of watching a target I was gonna kill turn red and now I can no longer kill them.  Or getting murked by it in sorties.

My last point want to make... Bladestorm is such a toxic ability that you can type to your friends while you use it.... 

9 minutes ago, swizzybeatzjamz said:

Ash is nowhere near balanced... Ash is the last of the press 4 to win species and be needs to change.  His ability is basically press 4 to watch a terrible 80s ninja movie kill everything... That is being filmed by a camera man on crack. 

Type 1: uses a build based around constantly using bladestorm and being invincible.

Type 2:  the guy who builds for Ash's other abilities but when they start dying alot/ it gets tough they turn into a type 1 ash player

I understand your concern because DE dropped there pants and rubbed there butts on mesas face. But something needs to happen to this guy. I'm tired of watching a target I was gonna kill turn red and now I can no longer kill them.  Or getting murked by it in sorties.

My last point want to make... Bladestorm is such a toxic ability that you can type to your friends while you use it.... 

Just made a post of what I think can fix Ash at the moment, not a Full Rework just a few ideas that DE can add in game asap but its up to them

check it out

11 hours ago, swizzybeatzjamz said:

i think you were trying to say "can not type to squad" which is indeed a problem as is him making targets immune to damage. However your complaints can be solved while still keeping him pretty much the same. 

1. His animations: Outdated, jerky, and overall glitchy as hell. Solution: update to current standard and smooth out the glitches.
  2. Attacking: Making targets immune to damage and locking the player in the animation. Solution: easy, change it so targets can take outside damage and be able to toggle the ability off.
  3. Chat: you can't in Blade Storm. Solution: make it so you can.
  4. Spamming: after Blade Storm finishes it can be cast again giving pseudo-immortality. Solution: Giving Blade Storm a cooldown (he has to recharge his ash clones by killing things)

All of these solve some major problems without changing who he is and what he does. DE can tweak numbers all they want till they feel he is balanced but his ability does not need to change.

Edited by SoulHunter2008