Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is re-captcha really needed it sucks...

SaucyTuckermax

I'm sick and tired of having to do the "re-captcha" thing everytime i log in...is there really bots on this site? I mean most of the time the images are soooo hard to match anyway. when i just logged in a was asked to answer which of the pictures where street signs...most of em where in a different country / language so how in the (expletive) am i suppose to know that it's a street sign?? Also the time before I was asked to answer which pictures were of pancakes...(I know how could you mess that up right??) Well apparently me cuz there was 2 pictures that looked NOTHING like a (expletive) pancake so they didn't get picked and i (expletive) had to re-try...

Point im getting at is can we please not have to do that any more? It's super annoying. Thanks.

I just never log out.

The way I see it, it's more dangerous to be entering the account information frequently, especially in the case of malware that logs keystrokes. Besides, if my account information were to be compromised in some way, misuse of my forum account is kinda the least of my worries.

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or is the new Captcha more annoying than it used to be?

I select a picture that fits the description, this picture disappears and a new picture gets shown.

If I just click the pictures that were shown in the initial view, it fails, I need to click all of them, because most of the time the new pictures are fitting aswell.

So in the end I have to click up to 20 times on pictures which disappear and new ones appear until no frikking storefronts or rivers are shown. Then I can click verify the captcha.

Seriously??? I have to click myself through 20 images until I can log in???

Please make this more userfriendly. The old captchas without getting new pictures was fine. Pls revert to the old captchas.

It's annoying. I don't log out, so it isn't a huge deal, but I do switch computers from time to time and then this nuisance rears its head.

It's better than some of the older implementations of it where you felt like you were taking a Rorschach test, but that's daming with (very) faint praise.

It is what it is. It's a damned nuisance, but you deal with it.

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to try this out. I haven't logged out recently, but the only re-captchas that I've seen is click the checkbox to say I'm not a robot.

And yes, Bots do try to get on here. There was a spam Bot attack within the last couple of months. Multiple new topics were being created in various sub-forums that were just filled with irrelevant gibberish. I think it was something like 10 or more a minute (although any moderators present probably have a more accurate number), and as soon as one of the bot "users" was found and banned another one would pop up.

Edit: Just logged in from the Homepage and didn't have to do a reCaptcha. Logging in from the forums page just had me do the checkbox.

Edited by Maicael

Most of the time, you should just need to click the checkbox and it will just work.

Using private browsing will cause reCAPTCHA 2.0 to always prompt you for the challenge task. Even if you get the first one right, it usually asks you for a second challenge (rumor has it that Google is crowdsourcing sign recognition for machine learning for Street View).

Other things like logging in many times in a short period of time can also prompt reCAPTCHA 2.0 to ask you to do the challenge task.

Edited by Inarticulate