Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If Cooldowns Were In Place Instead The Current Energy System?

LasersGoPewPew

it would reduce the spamming and people would actually have to think before using their skills. that's my thoughts on what would be generally changed if it was cooldown based, what are your thoughts?........

cooldown system without the need for energy to cast abilities is what i'm suggesting for those of you who think energy is still involved is what i'm suggesting.

Edit:these are the cooldown numbers i'm suggesting, with minor tweaks depending on each abilities effectiveness

general cooldown timers:
1st skill:5 seconds(or longer depending on what skill it is i.e Vaubans Tesla would have a 10 second cooldown or so between placement which would limit how many teslas he can have out on the field to 3 since they last 40 seconds)

2nd skill:10 or 15 seconds(or longer depending on the skill duration as 10 or 15 would be for attack  skills and not self buff based skills like embers Overheat)

3rd skill:15-20 seconds(depending on how powerful the 3rd abilities are, i.e Link would have say 30 seconds cooldown)

4th skill:30-40 seconds (or more depending on how powerful the ultimate is when it comes to altering the tide of battle, i.e blessing would have the 40 second spectrum cooldown timer considering a full heal and several seconds of invulenrability is VERY powerful, where as Bladestorm for Ash would have 30 seconds as its' a single target attack and not a whole room nuke like the majority of ults are)

Edited by LasersGoPewPew

They had a CD system at the beginning of CBT and it had a lot of its own issues.

1) It slowed down gameplay too much.

Why go into a room when your abilities are in CD? There was ZERO reason to not wait outside of a room for 30-45 seconds for your abilities to recharge. This would slow down gameplay a lot more than people realize. Its what was happening before and I dont want to go back to that.

2) It does not enourage use of 'lesser' abilities.

Even without an energy cost some abilities just wont be used, such as Excaliburs super jump. A CD system would not help with that.

3) It removes spammability.

If I build a frame for max energy and streamline then it stands to reason that I should be able to toss my skills around a lot more often then someone who didnt. This rewards me for building my frame a specific way and keeps a more caster centric gameplay viable.

4) It limits my options.

If I am playing a Loki and I go invis to deal with opponents and an ally goes down then I am SOL and unable to help them because I lack the ability to just reapply my invisibility and revive them. Instead I have to go "Crap. I cant use this ability because my friend MAY go down..."

That limits my options and stands in my way.

this already came up before, and as it stands cooldowns would only slow down gameplay which DE doesn't want to do (though that sprint cd thing kinda contradicts this)

lol sprint cooldown threw off my groove majorly xD (I'm sorry DE, but you've thrown off the emperor's groove).

But yes, I agree. In a game about ninjas, the speed at which you can do something is an important asset to consider, and if you don't know how to ration yourself you'll be SOL when, say, 30 infested chargers decide to stunlock you and Cali's slash dash is no longer available. Energy system limits itself in its own ways imo

I've been thinking about this too, but unfortunately I don't see how cooldowns would make people use their skills more strategically. If anything, it would make them even more spammable(instead of saving up energy to drop an ulti at the right moment to save the day it would be used more often because exp) + it would force people to spend their time watching the cooldowns on hud instead of the actual game(healers in mmorpgs much?). And the current shuriken/fireball/psychic bolts etc skills(some of which are in need of serious balancing anyway) would become even more broken because you couldn't spam them as much anymore.

All that being said i would still welcome cooldowns instead of energy if there would be a massive skill rework(remove the spammable damage skills(shuriken/fireball/psychic bolts etc) that don't do anything else, because we got weapons for that)maybe put in some more CC skills instead, some situational day-saving skills. Ohh and something would have to be done about the exp you get for using a skill or removal of that completely(only makes people spam them to get exp).

Welp, that's off the top of my head and hey, my opinion!

As much as I like health/energy regeneration in any game out there, I think this might just let people use their ultras at any chance possible, that does seem more spammy while on the current system you're forced to save your energy for the right occasions without such opportunities unless you've got a good Trinity in the group.

The real question is, does DE want us to use our warframe powers that much? Up to the point where you can simply go through the whole map using nothing but powers, instead of a supportive or last resort sort of thing. It might work, who knows.

And another person that wants to make the game slower.

Do you actually think a cooldown system would not make this a" skill_back to room wait for cooldown ready_skill_repeat"?

You can read about it in the other 2353456346346 threads already made about this subject....

No cooldown system: You collect energy so you can use Abilities when you want until you run out of energy, it's fast and spammy like the rest of the gameplay mechanics. Ability and Energy management is in your hands (non restrictive).

Cooldown system: You collect energy and then tend use abilitites because they are currently off cooldown. When something happens you can't use ability because it's on cooldown or can use it only once and therefor mostly don't run out of energy because of cooldowns unless an Disruptor drains you. Energy and ability management is restricted by cooldowns and it slows down gameplay.

Cooldowns and restrictions in general and not beneficial to gameplay so... a definite...

no_logo.jpg

..from me and a -1 ontop.

Edited by Namacyst

Sometimes with excal, I may want to zigzag through a room with Slash 'n' Dash  

If you add a cooldown, it removes that mechanic and limiting abilities useful ness. 

I more often will use 2-4 SnD's at once than use it once. 

I'm sure there are other frames and other players who fall into the same category ?

Sometimes with excal, I may want to zigzag through a room with Slash 'n' Dash  

If you add a cooldown, it removes that mechanic and limiting abilities useful ness. 

I more often will use 2-4 SnD's at once than use it once. 

I'm sure there are other frames and other players who fall into the same category ?

If there was passive regeneration instead of orbs and no direct "cooldowns" {like Energy Syphon, but decent}, that could probably work better and make everyone happy. You'd still be able to spam your slash n dash, OP would have his pseudo cooldown and Syphon artifact would die a miserable death. Although I think OP's main point was to stop these spammy powers, like being able to cast 3 ultimates one after another. *shrugs*

I would prefer more of an energy recharge system similar to  the energy siphon artifact. frames like loki & ember will have ~20% faster recharge

than frames like rhino.  which can be increased by mods or with the energy siphon. 

I would prefer more of an energy recharge system similar to  the energy siphon artifact. frames like loki & ember will have ~20% faster recharge

than frames like rhino.  which can be increased by mods or with the energy siphon. 

An energy syphon mod instead of the artifact, yummy!

it could be like...

level 1: 1 energy per second

level 2: 3 energy per second

level 3: 5 energy per second

level 4: 7 energy per second

level 5: 10 energy per second because round numbers are awesome.

Edit: On the second though, maybe half a second instead "per second", if this is supposed to replace the orbs.

Edited by CapricaSix