Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question: Level design?

RiftwalkSniper

Does anyone else feel like this is a lazy part on DE's part? Levels area literally repeated SO MANY times. I'm doing a mission on sedna that I've played the mission layout about 6 times now... I love this game a lot, I busted in about 140 hours within about 2 weeks, but this is something that really bothers me, I want to finish up the remaining 6 planets I have left,  but the amount of times a level is repeated is extremely frustrating and seems like lazy design.

What do you guys do to look past this? I normally love leveling in every game, but this is something that really bothers me, especially since I need to complete 6 more planets.

Also, has there been any word or has this been ask before? Will it always stay like this?

Later guys, have a good one :)

Wait are you complaining about one of the first type of tilesets to be introduced in the game? That's cute. There are a few unused titlesets for that planet but I haven't seen DE use them since closed beta. 

Edited by xxcib21xx

54 minutes ago, RiftwalkSniper said:

Does anyone else feel like this is a lazy part on DE's part? Levels area literally repeated SO MANY times.

Do you... do you understand how this game is built?

This game uses randomly-generated levels with a set number of tiles. The longer you play the game, the more times you're going to see the same rooms over and over

1 hour ago, RiftwalkSniper said:

Does anyone else feel like this is a lazy part on DE's part? Levels area literally repeated SO MANY times. I'm doing a mission on sedna that I've played the mission layout about 6 times now... I love this game a lot, I busted in about 140 hours within about 2 weeks, but this is something that really bothers me, I want to finish up the remaining 6 planets I have left,  but the amount of times a level is repeated is extremely frustrating and seems like lazy design.

What do you guys do to look past this? I normally love leveling in every game, but this is something that really bothers me, especially since I need to complete 6 more planets.

Also, has there been any word or has this been ask before? Will it always stay like this?

Later guys, have a good one :)

I just think that the problem isn't the repetition per se (because it's the quickest way to get multiple different dispositions and varying maps).
The real problem is each room is mainly made to buildup atmosphere (which gets lost because of the real quick gameplay, and futle hazards; nobody would stop and stare checking the surrounding when the fight forces you to move quickly), instead than made with an objective in mind, to be traveled in a specific manner and to have a specific purpose.
Also the totality of installations built by various rooms have no structure nor logic.
There should be rooms to fight, rooms to parkour, rooms to stealth through, rooms for recovering ammos.
I mean, not every room  from recent tilesets is that bad, but the majority of them are pretty lackluster.

The rule here is to give FLOW to the gameplay.

Enemies, hazards, parkour routes  placed in certain spots, suggesting but leaving freedom to the player about how to cross it.
Take example from generic Spy missions and Moon Spy Vaults. That's where level design shines.

Instead we have simply empty corridor-rooms or some obstacle here and there to help a modular level building and letting the AI and players total freedom of choice.
The big problem here I think is the interaction between Enemy AI and the environment.
The actual is the quickest and safest system to deal with it.

Edited by Burnthesteak87